selcouth // h. granger

By antant616

" 𝐈'𝐯𝐞 𝐧𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐞𝐥𝐭 𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐩𝐥𝐞𝐭𝐞𝐥𝐲 𝐨𝐤𝐚𝐲. 𝐎𝐧𝐥𝐲 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐢𝐬 𝐰𝐡𝐞𝐧 𝐈 𝐟𝐞𝐞... More

↣ act one ↢
◤incipient◢
◤mordant◢
◤solivagant◢
◤hygge◢
◤monachopsis◢
◤balter◢
◤mizpah◢
◤ramé◢
◤minutiae◢
◤kilig◢
◤sulit◢
◤cingulomania◢
◤lalochezia◢
◤haimish◢
◤eutony◢
◤fika◢
◤kaulayaw◢
◤osculate◢
◤hävitä◢
↣ act two ↢
◤mágoa◢
◤evince◢
◤sillage◢
◤dés vu◢
◤esoteric◢
◤laconic◢
◤fract◢
◤cordolium◢
◤thantophobia◢
◤ardor◢
◤forelsket◢
◤wonderwall◢
◤sisu◢
◤twitterpated◢
◤lacuna◢
◤cathect◢
◤frisson◢
◤cwtch◢
◤affettuoso◢
◤súton◢
↣ act three ↢
◤dépaysement◢
◤peripeteia◢
◤vagary◢
◤amative◢
◤gossipry◢
◤ustulation◢
◤vorfreude◢
◤nīpan◢
◤orphic◢
◤liberosis◢
◤illecebrous◢
◤hicran◢
◤alew◢
◤ludic◢
◤orenda◢
◤finifugal◢
◤immolate◢
◤eucatastrophe◢
◤absquatulate◢
◤saudade◢
↣ onsra ↢

◤acaronar◢

5.6K 241 143
By antant616

a-car-roh-nar /ə.kə.ɾuˈna/
verb; Catalan
to tenderly pull or draw someone closer; to hold, as for comfort, warmth, and/or affection

A/N: with this chapter, can you tell I'm a marauders stan?

☠︎~~~☠︎

-sooner

I wish I had realized
my feelings for you sooner

I know I say that a lot
and you remind me that every time

but it's true, darling
and it will forever be

because then I could've held you
a lot closer than I did before
because then I could've talked to you
more often than I did before
because then I could've stared at you
and know why I did it so often
and felt so at peace when I did

sooner
all sooner
but at least I can do it now

and I promise you
I will make the most of it

☠︎~~~☠︎

Not only Kreacher came back the day after Elara found the trio at Grimmauld Place. Yup, the next day brought a surprise none of the four seventeen-year-olds were expecting.

It was just after breakfast, which Elara had actually come down for. It was awkward, as Harry and Ron tried to make conversation about finding the other Horcruxes either before or after they acquired the locket. Still, both Hermione and Elara were quiet, both stirring the corn flakes in their milk without a word. So, Harry and Ron talked amongst each other to fill the silence.

Soon, Harry left to clean up Sirius's room that way properly, they can start rearranging the house and start sleeping in places other than the couch, and Ron went to do the same, but in the room he and Harry had slept in the summer before their fifth year. That left Hermione still picking at her breakfast and Elara sorting through her rucksack, transferring most of it to her original one, which Hermione had left out for her, also without a word.

From somewhere beneath the clothes she packed, Elara withdrew a small pouch, and she already knew the contents as she dug into it and picked out a small, oval mirror. Due to the previous day's events, she had forgotten that her own bracelet broke and that she had made another mirror to replace Hermione's to make sure it still served a purpose. Not wanting to get separated again, no matter how upset she was with her girlfriend, Elara plucked up some courage and took a deep breath, turning toward Hermione and asking, "Can I see your bracelet?"

Glancing upward at Elara, then down at her own bracelet, and back up at Elara, Hermione furrowed her eyebrows nervously and with befuddlement. They stared at each other for a moment stubbornly before Hermione reached for her wrist, pulling her ruby-embedded bracelet off harshly before tossing it over to Elara, going back to stirring her food around. Elara knew Hermione thought that she was probably taking it away for good because of the fight, but neither of them said anything.

Nevertheless, Elara still got to work, thankfully not feeling Hermione's gaze on her as she did so. But, she did see Hermione anxiously twirling the golden ring on her finger. Ultimately, Elara elected to ignore it, focusing on making sure she didn't crack the mirror with the pressure she had to put on it to get it inside the holder. That'd only make it the same situation as when her own cracked the night of Bill and Fleur's wedding.

Using her wand, she tapped the bottom of the holder and put some force and magic into it, succeeding in popping the old mirror out. She examined it in her hands for a moment, seeing only the slightest bit of her reflection in the glass before setting it down next to her, being careful not to get the two identical mirrors mixed up. Taking the new one that connected to Elara's, she lined it up, muttered the incantation to a strong sticking charm, and pushed the mirror in, and fortunately, it slipped in nicely. Elara tapped with her finger firmly to make sure it wouldn't come loose, to which it didn't budge.

Delighted that it worked, although she knew that it would since she did it on her own bracelet, Elara made sure not to show her joy on her facial features. She made sure the other aspects of the bracelet were working fine just by pressing the other ruby and held it back out to the distracted girl across the table. Hermione looked up again and took it carefully, only seeming to become more confused at why Elara was giving it back. Therefore, Elara explained in courtesy.

"Mine broke at the wedding, so I had to replace the mirrors," expounded Elara, crossing her arms and leaning against the table, neglecting her unfinished cornflakes. With the look Hermione had given her before, the cold pull-off of the bracelet, and of course, the lingering thoughts and tension from the fight the day before, she wasn't feeling very hungry. She assumed nor was Hermione, as they both had taken very few bites. "While the charm is the same, the mirrors have to be from the same one for it to work. If I didn't replace them, we wouldn't be able to contact each other, even if I used the same charm."

After inspecting the bracelet and putting it back on, Hermione sighed and snapped the ruby shut over it, picking her head up toward Elara again. "That explains why you wouldn't answer when I tried to talk to you through it after we disapparated..." apprised Hermione, making Elara's chest pang with slight guilt. She didn't know what to make of the information. "You know," continued Hermione shakily, which piqued Elara's interest, "when you didn't answer- I... I thought you were dead."

Elara was given no time to react, as a tap on the front door and the familiar sound of locks undoing themselves and chains clacking sounded at that very moment, signifying someone's arrival. The couple instantly heard steps hurrying down the stairs, and it seemed as those sounds could be heard even from the third floor, as Elara's ears picked up two sets of footsteps.

She and Hermione immediately leaped to their feet, drawing their wands and hiding out of sight, just in case, on the sides of the doorway that led into the long hallway, at the end of which the front door was located. Elara also heard the footsteps on the stairs stopped, and she figured that Ron and Harry had the same idea as Elara and Hermione and went to hide. Neither Elara nor Hermione had to remind the other to stay quiet as the door creaked open.

They both didn't risk peering behind the doorway to see who it was and waited to see the intruder's reactions to the traps they had all endured. Soon enough, they heard footsteps and the closing of the door, Moody's voice croaking once more (it would never fail to make Elara's stomach churn), "Severus Snape?" Elara and Hermione were always somehow on the same page with at least something, and this time, they exchanged looks of anxiousness, anticipating, in the same manner, the voice of who would respond.

"It was not I who killed you, Albus," replied a voice to Moody's that Elara would know anywhere, and she automatically relaxed, doing her best not to give a sigh of relief. Hermione visibly had a wave of relief wash over her as she slumped against the wall and closed her eyes. Except, it seemed as Harry had other plans.

With more patters against the wood of the floor coming from the stairs, Harry's voice shouted out, "Don't move!" Although Elara was slightly annoyed with his lack of recognizing the voice, she couldn't blame him. If made correctly and with immense precision, she knew Polyjuice potion could mimick the voice of whoever you turned into. That was evident with Barty Crouch Jr. and Mad-Eye Moody. At that realization, Elara raised her wand slightly again but did not step out into the hallway, unlike Harry.

Mrs. Black started screaming again at Harry's yell, and Elara rolled her eyes, trying to tune out her grandmother's screeches to listen to what the newcomer responded to Harry's call out. "Mudbloods and filth dishonoring my house-" ranted Mrs. Black, and Elara wanted her to be alive just to be able to hex her, despite being descended from her own blood. The exact house she was standing in most definitely did not make Elara feel proud of her surname, and after learning what McKinnon meant, she would much rather change it to that. Elara McKinnon sounded nice...

"Hold your fire; it's me, Remus!" exclaimed Moony hurriedly, and just by the way the newcomer was wording his speech, Elara knew it was actually Remus and not an imposter. Elara dropped her wand again, moving out into the hallway with another sigh, and Hermione followed close behind cautiously.

"Thank Salazar," breathed Elara, raising her wand once more, but toward the portrait of her grandmother, blasting the curtains shut with a loud bang. As the stairs were in front of her, Ron also came down, bearing the same relieved expression Elara and Hermione were wearing, his wand by his side. "You scared us."

However, Harry still had his raised, and his eyes narrowed at the figure behind the cloud of dust that obviously materialized from the ghostly figure of Dumbledore set as a trap. The man had his arms raised by his sides in surrender, so Elara didn't understand why Harry still had his wand up, as someone- a Death Eater, per se- impersonating Moony would not surrender that quickly. Still, through the dust, the figure's face was not obvious.

"Show yourself!" proceeded Harry determinedly, and Elara crossed her arms frustratedly, forgetting the previous conversation with Hermione in the current moment. She'd think about it later, as she did with all her problems, as right now was about this new arrival.

The man stepped forward under the eery light of the oil-fueled lamps, and it was Remus, without a doubt. He was wearing a thick, black traveling cloak and looked rather exhausted but seemed happy and relieved to see them, as were they to him. Elara beamed, wanting to run up to him and hug him because she had gotten no previous affirmation that Remus was safe and unharmed after the wedding, but Harry still had his wand raised.

"I am Remus John Lupin, werewolf, sometimes known as Moony, one of the four creators of the Marauder's Map, Elara's godfather-" Elara couldn't help but smile- "married to Nymphadora, usually known as Tonks, and I taught you how to produce a Patronus, Harry, which takes the form of a stag," reasoned Remus, and Elara found it absolutely unnecessary that he had to explain himself. She shifted her weight from one foot to another, annoyed at her sibling.

"Oh, all right," accepted Harry finally, bringing his wand to his side in a similar fashion to Ron, and Elara immediately took the chance to hurry toward Remus and give him a right hug of relief, to which her godfather responded happily. "But I had to check, didn't I?" continued Harry, still speaking despite Elara's actions.

"Speaking as your ex-Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher," began Remus knowingly as Elara released him and swiftly retreated back to her original spot just outside the doorway to the kitchen, "I quite agree that you had to check. Elara, Ron, Hermione, you shouldn't be quite so quick to lower your defenses." While Ron and Hermione gave guilty shrugs, Elara gave a nonchalant one, not regretting a thing. "No sign of Severus?"

"No," replied Harry solemnly with his own shrug, pocketing his wand, to which Hermione, Ron, and Elara followed, as there was no reason for it anymore. With Harry's next question, Elara wondered why Remus was there and how things were outside Grimmauld place. "What's going on? Is everything okay?"

"Yes," informed Remus on an exhale. The four seventeen-year-olds gave deep sighs of relief, but then Remus added, "but we're all being watched. There are a couple of Death Eaters in the square outside-" the four of them gave murmurs of knowing- "I had to Apparate very precisely onto the top step outside the front door to be sure that they would not see me. They can't know you're here, or I'm sure they'd have more people out there; they're stalking out everywhere that's got any connection with you, Harry. Let's sit down, shall we? There's a lot to tell you, and I want to know what happened after you left the Burrow."

Elara, of course, wasn't able to describe the events in detail, as she wasn't there and didn't want to get into the fact that she couldn't. So she stayed quiet, sipped the butterbeer Remus had brought, and watched the fire Hermione had lit intently and quietly. Harry, Ron, and Hermione explained that they got followed and what had happened, and Remus gave them the answers they had already concluded: that you can't have the trace on you after seventeen, and you can't trace apparition unless you grab onto someone.

"Tell us what happened after we left," urged Harry earnestly, shifting uncomfortably in his seat after Remus had reiterated that Death Eaters following the Gryffindor trio was incredibly worrying. Elara leaned into the table: having left mere seconds after them, she didn't know what happened either and was interested. "We haven't heard a thing since Ron's dad told us the family were safe." Elara did not know that had happened, yet dismissed it, saving it for another time.

"Well, Kingsley saved us," breathed Remus thankfully, and they all exchanged glances that Kingsley didn't save just the people at the wedding. Of course, Elara knew the trio was thinking about when they left as Remus wasn't referring to them, but Elara was thinking about how the Death Eaters would've continued torturing Andromeda and Teddy if she hadn't shown up. To be frank, the only reason she had to be slightly glad that Hermione, Ron, and Harry had left her behind was that. "Thanks to his warning, most of the wedding guests were able to disapparate before they arrived."

Seeming set on figuring out each and every detail of what happened, Hermione questioned seriously, "Were they Death Eaters or Ministry People?" Elara was quite surprised that she didn't have a notebook out, but then remember that, of course, Hermione Granger had wicked memory.

"A mixture, but to all intents and purposes, they're the same thing now," explained Remus somberly, gazing around at the still messy and cob-webbed dining room and kitchen. "There were about a dozen of them, but they didn't know you were there, Harry. Arthur heard a rumor that they tried to torture your whereabouts out of Scrimgeour before they killed him; if it's true, he didn't give you away."

There was a few moments of silence, each of them shocked but grateful. "Is Adelaide all right?" questioned Ron earnestly, piquing Elara's interest. She had meant to ask that as well and did her best to hide her scowl that Ron had asked it first. But, of course, her best mate and her girlfriend's best mate are obviously pining for each other, so she couldn't blame him. "I know she can't apparate yet, and I don't think she'd be able to find a portkey set for the time they attacked..." added Ron with a defeated frown.

"Yes, she's all right. She's staying at the Burrow for the time being," expounded Remus, and the four of them gave him curious and bemused looks. While Elara and supposedly Ron knew that Adelaide knew Fleur and her parents, Adelaide hadn't met the Weasleys before. Perhaps Fleur insisted on it... At their confused expressions, Remus appended, "Molly saw you kiss her, Ron, and said that keeping Adelaide safe was the least she could do for you, and Fleur said that it'd be better-"

"You kissed Adelaide!?" exclaimed Elara bewilderedly, turning on the ginger-haired boy, who was turning as red as his hair, once she had properly comprehended the information Remus was providing. She looked at Harry and Hermione for assistance, but their eyes were just as wide as hers, stunned. Whipping her head back toward Ron, she stated furiously, "Oh, you're going to get a lecture after this, Ronnikins."

Ron immediately opened his mouth to respond, but Remus started talking before he could get any sound out. Still, with a mere glance at Ron, Elara was able to get the thing he wanted to say from the top of his thoughts, thanks to the actual decent amount of sleep she got, and she, therefore, had energy. 'I didn't give you a lecture when you started dating Hermione-' Bloody hell, yes he did! A short one, but it counts!

"The point is," intervened Remus, setting his palms on the table for emphasis and to calm the banter, "The Death Eaters searched the Burrow from top to bottom. They found the ghoul but didn't want to get too close- and then they interrogated those of us who remained for hours. Since Adelaide wasn't able to apparate, she was one of them, and Molly found it better with every other reason behind it to let her stay with them. They were trying to get information on you, Harry, but of course, nobody apart from the order knew you were there."

Elara wanted to say something about applauding the twin's transfiguration skills on the ghoul but found it better to announce at a different time. "At the same time that they were smashing up the wedding, more Death Eaters were forcing their way into every Order-connected house in the country. No deaths," proceeded Remus, and Elara was able to make the connection between Andromeda and Teddy getting tortured with these facts, "but they were rough. They burned down Dedalus Diggle's house, but as you know, he wasn't there, and they used the Cruciatus Curse on Tonks's family. Again, trying to figure out where you went after you visited them. They're all right- shaken, obviously, but otherwise okay."

Remus had glanced at Elara when explaining what happened to Andromeda and Teddy, and it was certain that he knew that she was there. Of course, he would know, as he probably visited them along with Tonks, and Teddy and Meda explained to them what happened. This information did not go unnoticed by the other three, looking at Elara questioningly as she stared at the table. She hadn't told them what happened; again, too caught up in recent events. Elara only found it a slight comfort when Hermione put her hand on top of hers and squeezed it soothingly before taking her hand away.

Harry asked about the Death Eaters being able to get through all the protective charms on Andromeda and Teddy's house. Remus gave the same answer that Elara presumed (they had power over the Ministry, now; they could do what they wanted). Right after those details had been presented, Hermione questioned angrily, "And are they bothering to give an excuse for torturing Harry's whereabouts out of people?" Somewhere, Elara knew that Hermione was not only angry because of the whole ordeal, but because it related to Elara, but she tried to push that thought away.

"Well," replied Remus hesitantly before reaching into his traveling cloak and pulling out a copy of the Daily Prophet, pushing it across the table to Harry. "Here, you'll know sooner or later, anyway. That's their pretext for going after you." There was a rather large paragraph of Harry's face on the front page, the headline blaring over it:

WANTED FOR QUESTIONING ABOUT
THE DEATH OF ALBUS DUMBLEDORE

Three of the four of the teenagers gave bursts of outrage, talking over one another, yet Harry stayed quiet and pushed the newspaper back toward Remus, his lips pressed into a thin line. "I'm sorry, Harry," apologized Remus softly as he took the newspaper and turned the pages.

"So Death Eaters have taken over the Daily Prophet too?" inquired Hermione in an equally enraged tone as her other question about torture and Harry's whereabouts. Remus nodded solemnly. "But surely people realize what's going on?"

And thus, Remus got to explaining. It was of that people were starting to realize it but were merely whispering the ordeal. Whispering, and didn't dare confide in anyone else. Scrimgeour disappearing from being the Minister for Magic was covered up as a resignation and replaced by Pius Thicknesse, who was under the Imperius Curse. Voldemort was playing a game: keep a mask to invoke fear while declaring himself as Minister might just spark an overbearing rebellion.

Since Dumbledore died, Harry, as the Boy Who Lived and the rumored Chosen One, was supposed to be someone to look up to. But, since the Prophet insisted that Harry had a hand in Dumbledore's death, it demonized him. Making people who looked up to Harry doubt and become frightened, especially since he had a target above his head now. In Remus's words, Voldemort was playing a clever game.

"Meanwhile," continued Remus tiredly interlocking his fingers together, as if he was going into a more serious matter, in which he was, "the Ministry has started moving against Muggle-borns." All four of the teenagers straightened up as Remus nodded at the page he had opened up. "Look at page two."

Hermione was the first to seize the newspaper and started reading aloud, an even more furious and distasteful look upon her face. "Muggle-born register. The Ministry of Magic is undertaking a survey of so-called 'Muggle-borns,' the better to understand how they came to possess magical secrets.

"Recent research undertaken by the Department of Mysteries reveals that magic can only be passed from person to person when Wizards reproduce. When no proven Wizarding ancestry exists, therefore, the so-called Muggle-born is likely to have obtained magical power by theft or force.

"The Ministry is determined to root out such usurpers of magical power, and to this end has issued an invitation to every so-called Muggle-born to present themselves for an interview by the newly appointed Muggleborn Registration Commission.'"

"People won't let this happen," contradicted Ron as soon as Hermione had stopped reading and had put down the newspaper defeatedly. "It's bollocks! How are they supposed to have 'stolen' magic? It's common sense, and people won't allow it."

"It's happening, Ron," countered Remus, shaking his head in half-disbelief and half-unfortunate contradiction. "Muggle-borns are being rounded up as we speak."

"But as Ron said, it's common sense!" combated Elara fiercely, her hand curling into a fist. "Muggle-borns start showing magic at a young age, like all other wizards and witches, and how would they have been able to steal it? They're children! If you could steal magic, then there wouldn't be any squibs, either. And I'm fairly sure that if you could steal it, you could build it up, and that would cause an eruption for power. It doesn't take much brainpower to come to that conclusion!"

"I know. It's not exactly the smartest plan, and people will unquestionably see through it," concurred Remus, and Elara calmed down a bit, shifting uncomfortably in her seat. "Nevertheless, since Voldemort has power over the Ministry, unless you can prove that you have at least one close Wizarding relative, you are now deemed to have obtained your magical power illegally and must suffer the punishment."

"What about if we lie that Muggle-borns do have a Wizarding relative?" prompted Elara, unclenching her fist and resting her hand on top of Hermione's, forgetting about the fight at that moment. Fortunately, Hermione smiled faintly and turned her hand over, interlocking her fingers with Elara's, and Elara didn't complain. "Unfortunately, the Black family has a lot of incest to the point no one knows who's from who, and I'm sure we could fit 'Mione in somewhere unrecognizable-"

"Yeah! One of us could pretend Hermione's our cousin, or something, and teach her our family tree," agreed Ron hopefully, glancing at Harry, who nodded profusely, despite Harry presumably not knowing about his own family's bloodline. That was understandable, though. "There are hair-changing spells. I'm sure we could disguise her if need be-"

Hermione gave a soft chuckle, catching everyone's attention. "Thank you guys, really, but I'm sure it wouldn't be necessary." Elara opened her mouth to retort immediately, yet Hermione continued talking. "We're on the run with Harry Potter, the most wanted person in the country; I don't think it matters. If I was going back to school, it would be different." Hermione turned to Remus, wordlessly dismissing the matter. "What's Voldemort planning for Hogwarts?"

Remus explained everything, and Elara was immensely grateful for him since she was sure they would know of nothing that happened with the outside world if it wasn't for him turning up. Attendance was compulsory, except for Muggle-borns, as they were no longer allowed in Hogwarts, and everyone had to provide proof of blood status to the Ministry. Voldemort would now be able to keep an eye on every young witch and wizard in one spot. It was a devious plan. None of them were able to find words until Remus sprung a new topic.

"I'll understand if you can't confirm this, Harry," he began, staring directly at Harry intently and purposefully, "but the Order is under the impression that Dumbledore left you a mission." He glanced at Elara as he said this, too, as Elara had told him something similar. She knew when Remus said the Order, it was more specifically referring to him.

"He did," responded Harry confidently, straightening up again after slouching due to the new rules set upon Hogwarts. Elara stared at him for a moment: Harry was thinking about how Muggle-borns could already be gathering their text-books to start at a magical school, yet they'd never get to go... she frowned at the thought and returned her attention to Remus. "And Ron, Hermione, and Elara are in on it, and they're coming with me."

"Can you confide in me what the mission is?" asked Remus with a hint of hope and curiousness to his voice, and it made Elara's frown deepen. She knew what Harry's answer would be, and she had given him something relatively the same the first time she had told him she was dropping out of Hogwarts.

With a deep huff, Harry stated firmly yet in a tone that showed that his answer was unfortunate, "I can't, Remus, I'm sorry. If Dumbledore didn't tell you, I don't think I can." Elara didn't entirely agree with that logic but let Harry do his thing. It seemed as this was his mission- because he's the Chosen One- and Elara was there to make sure he didn't do anything stupid. And to make sure Hermione was okay.

"I thought you'd say that," sighed Remus, his expression seeming disappointed as he glanced at Elara, who gave him a small shake of her head accompanied by her frown. He turned back to Harry. "But I might still be of some use to you. You know what I am and what I can do. I could come with you to provide protection. There would be no need to tell me exactly what you were up to."

Harry visibly hesitated as everyone at the table stared at him, waiting for his answer. Except, Hermione seemed perplexed as her eyes flickered to Harry, then Remus, and back again. Finally, she kept her eyes on Remus and asked in a befuddled tone, "But what about Tonks?"

A pang of guilt hit Elara's chest: she had completely forgotten about Tonks for a moment. For the second time in more than twenty-four hours, she agreed with Hermione's logic. The only other time was when Hermione said she'd give her space, and she didn't argue. "What about her?" queried Remus indifferently.

"Well," started Hermione with a frown, utterly confused, and Elara knew her well enough to guess the words about to come out of her mouth, "you're married! How does she feel about you going away with us?" Point for Elara.

"Tonks will be perfectly safe. She'll be at her parents' house." apprised Remus, but there was something odd about his tone. Too unmoved- too cold. Not the tone Elara was used to, and it worried her, but she couldn't figure out what was bothering Remus. Perhaps it was just that Harry wasn't telling him. It was Elara's best guess. But there was no way Tonks would be completely safe at Andromeda and Teddy's. Not one hundred percent. Not perfect.

Hermione came up with something, and Elara just knew it definitely stemmed from their own matters the evening before. "Remus," began Hermione carefully, catching Remus's attention, diverting from Harry, "is everything all right... you know... between you and-"

"Everything is fine, thank you," informed Remus promptly, disregarding the matter. Hermione leaned back sheepishly, her cheeks turning a faint shade of pink, and Elara momentarily found it cute. Momentarily. Then, after a long pause, Remus added in a way that he was forcing himself to do it, "Tonks is going to have a baby."

"Oh, how wonderful!" exclaimed Hermione happily, sitting up again and her bashful mood being wiped away with ease. She was smiling again, her eyes gleaming with delight, and Elara had to rip herself out from the trance she was unknowingly put in by them. Like home.

"Excellent!" effused Ron in a similar manner to Hermione, while Harry gave his congratulations. The room's atmosphere had raised in spirits, but while it was short-lasting, Elara was enjoying it at the moment.

"That's great!" grinned Elara mirthfully, using her free hand, as the other one was still clutching Hermione's, to gesture wildly as she tried to sort things out in her head based on her family tree. "So... I'll be the kid's... aunt god-sister?" She, Harry, Ron, and Hermione laughed lightly, while Remus seemed to force a smile that turned out to be more like a grimace.

"So... do you accept my offer?" reiterated Remus, hastily getting the conversation back on track as he turned toward Harry once more. "Will four become five? I cannot believe that Dumbledore would have disapproved; he appointed me your Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher after all. And I must tell you that I believe we are facing magic many of us have never encountered or imagined."

Everyone's eyes were on Harry now, watching his facial cues and listening for his words intently. "Just- just to be clear," stammered Harry in a befuddled tone, blinking a few times behind his glasses. "You want to leave Tonks at her parents' house and come away with us?"

"She'll be perfectly safe there. They'll look after her," repeated Remus, seeming worryingly unbothered. Elara fixed her gaze on him, watching intently for any sign of regret, which she only saw a smidge. But he didn't seem to regret asking Harry to let him go with them... "Harry, I'm sure James would have wanted me to stick with you."

"Well, I'm not," retorted Harry slowly, oblivious to Hermione and Ron's shocked expressions. "I'm pretty sure my father would have wanted to know why you aren't sticking with your own kid, actually."

Remus's face paled, and the atmosphere grew thick with tension. Ron gazed around the room absently, thoroughly avoiding anyone's gaze or the conversation itself, while Hermione looked between Harry and Remus. Elara still had her eyes set on the latter as the very same latter as he mentioned, "You don't understand."

"Explain, then," challenged Harry with an air of disregard. Elara's eyes flickered off of Remus and onto Harry, knowing Harry knew what it felt like to be abandoned. She inhaled sharply at the realization, blinking as she fixed her eyes on the table.

"I-I made a grave mistake in marrying Tonks. I did it against my better judgment, and I have regretted it very much ever since," swallowed Remus, causing Elara to go into a mad rampage while it sent Harry into a calm one.

"What do you mean?" asked Elara angrily, confused and feeling oddly protective over her cousin and her cousin's baby. "You looked so happy at the wedding! I have photos!" She made to reach for her rucksack, sitting at the end of the table, but Hermione squeezed her hand without looking at her. It made Elara rethink her actions, something that action had always done to her, and drop her hand by her side.

"I see," remarked Harry instead, speaking at the same time Elara had. Still, he went on when Elara was done, who was now slumping in her chair, derailed. "So you're just going to dump her and the kid and run off with us?"

It was quick; Remus jumped to his feet, knocking over his chair in the process, talking fast, and pacing the length of the table. "Don't you understand what I've done to my wife and my unborn child? I should have never married her; I've made her an outcast!" While Ron, Hermione, and Elara's eyes were wide, all alarmed, Harry remained nonchalant- so casual he seemed furious.

"You have only seen me amongst the Order or under Dumbledore's protection at Hogwarts!" continued Remus frantically, the quartet's expressions going unnoticed. "You don't know how most of the Wizarding world sees creatures like me-!"

"I do!" reminded Elara, following Remus's lead by standing up. She felt Hermione squeeze her hand again, but for once, she ignored it. "Have you forgotten that I spent the majority of my childhood running around the country with you? I've seen it, Moony, I've seen all of it. And you running away from being there for your wife and kid is only adding to the stigma!" Elara sat back down upon Hermione's tugging request yet resumed. "I know she loves you, and you do too. You can't just abandon them in the middle of a war!"

The silence grew between all of them, and Elara refused to look at Hermione, mainly because she brought up love. Remus had stopped his pacing, staring at Elara with an expression Elara couldn't read. Then, Remus collected himself, murmured, "I best be going, then." And with that, he strode out the door, no one saying a word as he did so.

He had left the Daily Prophet copy, so Harry grabbed it and started reading, avoiding all conversation by doing so. Ron, not wanting to get caught in a potential quarrel with Hermione and Elara, made Harry share the newspaper and started reading it over his shoulder. Therefore, Hermione turned to Elara, and Elara released their interlocked hands, leaning into the table with her mind whirring.

"Elara..." started Hermione carefully, leaning farther into the table to be able to look at Elara's face, which was concerningly impassive, her eyes glassy. "Why didn't you tell us? About Andromeda and Teddy? It seems like a considerable detail to leave out, and you know you can talk to me-"

"Yeah, well, there are some things I'd like to keep to myself," snapped Elara, but there wasn't any harsh tone behind it. Really, it seemed like nothing at all. Still, turning her head to Hermione, Elara added while side-eyeing her, "I'm sure you remember that." And stood up again and headed toward the doorway, leaving Hermione thinking about the events of last October.

Though Elara didn't make it very far, as something landed right in front of her with a loud crack, causing her to stumble backward and Ron, Harry, and Hermione's heads to perk up. A man was on the ground, and an elf Elara still despised despite the newfound information Harry and Ron informed her of yesterday landed perfectly. "Kreacher has returned with the thief Mundungus Fletcher," croaked Kreacher, then turned toward Harry to append, "Master."

☠︎~~~☠︎

With the limited information Mundungus Fletcher gave the inhabitants of Twelve, Grimmauld Place, they composed a plan. The bleeding thief went along and gave it to none other than Dolores Umbridge, and Elara really did not want to see her again. But, hey, the sake of the Wizarding world was at stake. Bloody hell, she was thinking like a Gryffindor now... she's spent way too much time with them...

The only information they had was that Umbridge had it after Mundungus sold it to her. Umbridge could've given it away, hid it, anything, so their best bet was to none other than break into the Ministry and check. How you may ask? Well, Elara's bloody brilliant, and she recognized that, despite her remaining frustration with the bushy-haired girl, had smuggled Moody's whole supply of Polyjuice potion into her bag.

It was getting into the Ministry undetected under the Polyjuice potion, finding Umbridge, and gaining the locket's location that was the hard part. So, naturally, every day, one of them went out to scope out Ministry entrances and possible people to turn into based on their supposed occupations.

Not shockingly, Elara took most of the opportunities to get out of the house for multiple reasons. One, she despised that house with the majority of her being. Two, she could prove to Ron, Harry, and Hermione that she was useful and made sure her time spying on the Ministry was worthwhile, coming back with more information each day, just to make sure they don't accidentally leave her again since she would become a helpful asset. And last and probably most important, it'd keep her away from Hermione.

The couple was just barely on speaking terms, only speaking when they needed to, such as asking to pass the salt and pepper from across the table, eating meals made by a surprisingly supportive Kreacher. Or when conversing about new findings of the Ministry, adding onto each other's ideas, but that was about it. They still slept in the same bed, as Elara had not taken away the offer and Hermione hadn't shown any sign to give it back, but backs to each other and unspeaking. Elara was gone by the time Hermione woke up, for once, and she was asleep when Hermione walked in for bed.

Of course, there were some moments they talked when they were alone, and it wasn't just being polite. A few laughs here and there about something clumsy that Harry or Ron did, or just if something was out of place on either one of them. A few handholds and squeezes of assurance, mainly from Hermione, just to show that they were still in this. Elara even kissed her cheek after Hermione came up with the Polyjuice potion idea about a week into spying on the Ministry, and Hermione didn't stop smiling for the rest of the day.

Elara's upset feelings on the matter were slowly subsiding with the more time she spent away from Hermione. Slowly but surely. She missed cuddling with her, being in her embrace and vice versa, the warm feelings she'd get in her chest whenever she'd talk to her, the kisses... oh how she missed the kisses. Hermione was obviously sorry, and Elara knew that she cared for her just as much if not more than Harry and Ron. There was always that small little reminder whenever she tried to act on how she felt, though.

This behavior continued until August seventeenth of 1997, the day before August's full moon. Harry had gone out in the morning to grab more food, as Kreacher requested more that way he could continue making food for them. Elara found it odd, but she knew he was being nice to Harry since Harry gave him Regulus's locket. It was Elara's day to spy on the Ministry, as she had volunteered the night before but wanted to do something first since Harry was away.

Since Harry had taken up sleeping in Sirius's room and took his belongings in there with him, anyone would find it creepy if Elara went in there. She hadn't forgotten what Harry said about the picture of the four Marauders stuck to Sirius's wall, and she desperately wanted to see it. Especially since there were very few and rare photos of young Sirius, even in the very house he grew up in. And there were only two photos she knew of that showed her mother: one in the order of the Phoenix photo from the First Wizarding War and one on her gravestone. She figured it was normal to want to see the picture of the four best friends.

Therefore, when Harry went out that morning, Elara snuck in, making sure not to cause too much noise, as even among her friends, she could be considered suspicious. Hermione had gone down for breakfast, and Ron was probably there eating it, so Elara thought the coast was clear. And so it was when she pushed the door to Sirius's room open, the walls lined with pictures of muggle girls and Gryffindor merchandise. She tried to ignore it, as she was used to the minimum Slytherin decor of her room just down the hall, as she searched for the picture of the Marauders.

And there it was. It was above the desk, the only moving photo among the rest, so it wasn't hard to find. The young boys, no older than seventeen or eighteen, were laughing with their arms around each other without a care in the world. James with hair and glasses identical to Harry's, Sirius looking as young and cheerful as Elara was sure that she had ever seen him, Remus with straw-colored hair, messy, but not as messy as James's, and Peter, plump and short but equally as mirthful as the rest of them.

It made Elara ponder: did they know what they had in store for them? That, in probably less than a year later from when this was taken, they would be sent into war? Just as she, Ron, Harry, and Hermione were at that very moment. It reminded Elara of her own photos with Hermione and the few photos she had of her other friends. None of them in any of the images Elara was thinking about knew at that point that worse war was coming in a year.

She fixed her eyes on Sirius and noticed for the first time in a while the physical traits he had passed onto her. The recognizable sharp jawline that all the Black family members had, the curly hair (but, Elara noticed that when combined with her mother, her own hair just turned out wavy), the same shade of hair, too. Sirius's blue eyes, but she figured she had Marlene's nose and eyebrow shape. Of course, they were all wearing Gryffindor robes, and Marlene had been in Gryffindor, too, something that had not been passed down. Elara chuckled lightly at that, rubbing her eyes as she felt the familiar prickling sensation at the back of them.

Her eyes didn't linger too long on Peter, as he didn't deserve her attention. But, Elara did linger just a bit on James. She knew James had been like a brother to Sirius and wondered how that would've worked out. Would she be calling him Uncle James if he were alive? Uncle Prongs, perhaps? Had she already done so when she was a mere baby? The main and very few memories her Legilimency held onto was with her mother, for obvious reasons, and she dearly wished she could remember something about James. Or Lily. Or Dorcas, or anyone else...

Moving her gaze to Remus, Elara felt her heart sink. He looked so cheerful and worry-less, although she knew he was still undergoing transformations at the time and still was to this day. But, at least then he had Animagi friends to help with that. And now... Elara couldn't help but think that the last words she had said to him were, 'You can't just abandon them in the middle of a war!' What if those were the last words she ever said to him? It most certainly could be, especially these days, with everything so uncertain...

The thought haunted Elara to think about, and guilt settled in her chest, causing the prickling to reoccur at the back of her eyes, and eventually, they welled up with tears. She rested one arm across her waist and one elbow resting against the same arm, using it as support as she used one hand to wipe her tears hastily, which were probably the consequence of the fight and this combined. But Elara only recognized the latter and figured that it was such a stupid thing to be crying over...

"Elara! Harry's back, and he said you could take the Cloak whenever you were ready-" called Hermione, climbing the stairs and passing Sirius's room momentarily before backtracking when she saw the door open, Elara standing right in the light of it. Elara turned, giving Hermione a small smile and a nod to confirm before looking ahead of her again, taking a deep breath. But Hermione didn't buy the smile for a second. "Hey, hold on, are you okay?" asked Hermione quickly, heading into the room cautiously.

"Yeah. Tell Harry I'll be down in a minute," breathed Elara shakily, dropping her hands by her sides to seem more casual as Hermione approached her, ultimately coming to a stop in front of her. Still, Elara kept her head bowed, observing her shoes. Or lack thereof- she was only wearing some fuzzy socks Hermione got her over the two weeks she spent at the Burrow before they picked up Harry.

"You know I don't buy that for a second. What's wrong?" persisted Hermione softly, no malicious intent behind her tone as she took one of Elara's hands in her own and cupped the side of Elara's neck, tilting her head up carefully. Elara didn't object and indicated the photo she was just gazing at over Hermione's shoulder with her eyes. Hermione glimpsed over her own shoulder, studied the photo, and turned back to Elara with an understanding look in her eyes. "Oh, come here, darling."

It was the first time they had hugged since the day Elara arrived at Grimmauld Place on August second, and bloody hell had Elara missed it. Her teeth dug into her bottom lip to keep from crying more as she buried her head into the crook of Hermione's neck, inhaling and appreciating the scent she had gotten so used to. Hermione's hugs had always been so comforting and could calm her down in a second, especially now, since Elara was fairly confused on why she was so emotional.

"I'm sure we could get Harry or Ron to take today," prompted Hermione in a caring tone, brushing Elara's hair behind her ear as she pulled back, her eyes full of the warmth they had been missing for the past two weeks. "You've been volunteering a lot, and I'm afraid that you might be overworking yourself. We could stay here and talk if you'd like. I'm here."

The mention of Harry and Ron caught Elara off guard, and while Hermione was suggesting that they spend the day together and have the other two do the rest, it irked Elara. She couldn't rid of the sensation of feeling lesser then, despite that Hermione was certainly putting her before Harry and Ron right now. And trust me, she had been trying. So bloody hard. Therefore, due to this, Elara dismissed as she completely pulled out of Hermione's grasp, "No. No, it's fine. I signed up for it, and I should keep to that."

After swallowing and gazing at Elara worriedly, Hermione began dissapointedly, "But-"

"I'll see you tonight," mentioned Elara before placing a brisk kiss on Hermione's cheek to make up for it, which made Hermione smile faintly, but the smile ultimately went away as Elara hurried out the door. Hermione didn't know what she had done wrong in that instant to make Elara hurry off that quickly, but she did say that she would give Elara some space, and Elara still had every right to be upset with her. And it hurt her chest more than that one curse she took in the Department of Mysteries in fifth year.

It wasn't until the next day did they speak properly once more, as Elara had come back that night with much information about the coins people used to be allowed to enter the Ministry, and the four of them spent much of their time discussing it. By the time Hermione had finished washing up, Elara was passed out on the bed, as always. But, of course, Hermione couldn't blame her, as Elara must've been exhausted.

As it was Ron's turn that day, Elara and Hermione were both home, along with Harry, but he was off doing only Merlin knew what. Still, it was also a full moon, and Elara's first full moon not being on good terms with Moony, and her first full moon with close contact with Ron and Harry without other people around, and she still had not told both of them. Therefore, Elara spent the day locked in the music room, not fancying any social interaction and wanting to hibernate like bears do in the winter. Or, at least, she thought they did... she didn't take Care of Magical Creatures...

But, she came out when Ron arrived back that evening, earlier than usual, shouting for an urgent meeting as soon as he had dispelled the traps placed at the front door. The tone in his voice resembled something not good, and Elara immediately pulled herself out of her misery and headed to the kitchen. It couldn't be about werewolves, as the moon hadn't risen yet, so how bad could it be?

Oh, how she had underestimated the situation at that time.

"It's ridiculous," muttered Ron irritably as soon as Harry had reported from the third floor, where he had been in Sirius's room. Ron slammed a newspaper, evidently the newest edition of The Daily Prophet, onto the table, open to what seemed like the second page. There was a list of names, which from far away could be mistaken as a list of deaths, but the small header above the list gave it off. 'Muggle-borns who did not present themselves for interviews- report now.' "How has no one spoken up about this?"

Exchanging concerned looks, it was evident that Hermione's name would be on the list. Hermione seized the paper and trailed her finger down the parchment, slowing to a stop about a third of the way in, and Elara knew Hermione's name so well that she could read her name upside down with ease. It was definitely Hermione's name, as Harry grimaced, Hermione pursed her lips, Ron was enraged and Elara was growing to be just the same.

"They put this out on the full moon for a reason," theorized Elara inquisitively, narrowing her eyes at the long list. Her eyes continued to trail down to the 'T' section, where Edward Tonks was evidently listed. She scowled, and carried on with her hypothesis. "I think the Ministry is trying to show that if they can round up muggle-borns, this is only the start of what they'd do to werewolves." She shook her head then buried them in her hands. "I'm never working for that corrupt institution." Still, she cracked a small smile at her use of the extravagant words.

"It's not like I'm going to show up. Ever," mentioned Hermione dismissively, and her three companions gave her bewildered appearances at her tone. "Look, of course I'm upset about it. But we've all got more important things to focus on, and I assume it would be much more productive to work on breaking into the Ministry instead of a list I'm on, which I'm not going to follow!"

"But It's worrying, Étoile. They've got a target on your head, now, too," reasoned Elara purposefully, but Hermione merely scoffed and rolled her eyes, flipping to the Obituary section of the newfound copy of the newspaper. But, notwithstanding Hermione's dismissive attitude, it was all Elara could think about for the rest of the evening.

So, now the Ministry had a list of muggle-borns to rouse up. Splendid. It brought Elara immense joy. (It didn't.) Not only was her girlfriend now on the list, who she loved, but also the man who had raised her from ages nine to fifteen, who she also loved. How was she not supposed to be concerned? The Ministry wanted to interrogate them, and could do whatever they wanted with them afterward! Of course, Elara was on edge! At least she knew that Hermione was okay- but would Teddy?

Therefore, when Elara was already in bed, facing the wall, as always, she was still awake. When Hermione came in, she was awake. When Hermione shut the light, she was awake. She couldn't will herself to go to bed, not when she didn't know what Teddy was planning to do now. It was eating her up inside, just like it had been with Hermione on August second, but not as severe and felt... like a different type of love, honestly. Her love for Hermione was romantic. Her love for Teddy was a father-daughter relationship.

It did not bring Elara any comfort to find that Hermione was still awake, too, considering her uneven breathing and her constant shifting of positions. Hermione rarely moved when she slept, and could usually sleep in positions most couldn't (probably comes from falling asleep reading books). And that's when Elara knew that something was wrong, and didn't waste much time solving it. She needed it too.

Elara rolled over and scooted over to Hermione, throwing her arm around Hermione's waist and pulling her closer. Almost instantly, Hermione turned onto her other side and curled into Elara swiftly, clutching at Elara's shirt as Elara wrapped her other arm around Hermione's shoulders, holding her as tightly as possible. Cuddling her again was another great relief for Elara, having missed the warm and comfortable feeling, despite Hermione being right next to her all this time.

Thankfully, Hermione's breathing started to get evener, tranquil, but she definitely wasn't going to sleep soon. Neither was Elara. Elara held her firmly, breathing in and out to match her own breathing to Hermione's to make Hermione's calmer. It worked, fortunately, and Elara felt that it was okay to talk. "I'm so scared," she whispered warily, and it was true, cradling the back of Hermione's head and running her hand over it, doing so tenderly. "I'm so bloody scared. About you. About Teddy. Especially you. You have a target over your head now, 'Mione. What if-?"

Hermione tilted her head up and pressed her lips to Elara's, finally after many days of not doing so. Elara pressed back desperately, sighing into the kiss. "I'm scared too. But, we'll be scared with each other, and we'll be okay. How does that sound?" suggested Hermione hopefully, burying her head back into Elara's chest and inhaling, presumably getting another whiff of Elara's amazing smelling perfume, if Elara did say so herself. Elara nodded, pecking the top of Hermione's head and eventually drifting off to sleep now that she felt safe again. They both did.

They weren't completely okay, but it was a start. And a damn good one.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

144K 3K 29
"I've always hoped this day would come." "My name is Valeriana Zabini." The woman took a shuddering breath. "Your mother." *・゜゚・*:.。..。.:*・'・*:...
390K 7.5K 48
A month before Hermione returns to School,She finds out that she was kidnaped and sold to the Granger Family.She's shocked when she finds out that he...
867K 31.8K 33
Despite the struggles that come with transferring to a new school in the middle of the year, Ellie Evans finds that she'll also have to face tragedy...
91.7K 3.5K 46
DISCONTINUED "Born as the first moon of the year falls, part of a pair doomed for betrayal, gifted with the blood of Slytherin born to the mother to...