CRIMSON LILY [To Be Published...

Bởi dandelionsandmadness

To Be Published Under PAPERINK. EDITED VERSION. *** Elisse Eveningstar has been living her life to please her... Xem Thêm

CRIMSON LILY
CHAPTER 1
CHAPTER 2
CHAPTER 3
CHAPTER 5
CHAPTER 6
CHAPTER 7
CHAPTER 8
CHAPTER 9
CHAPTER 10
CHAPTER 11
CHAPTER 12
CHAPTER 13
CHAPTER 14
CHAPTER 15
CHAPTER 16
CHAPTER 17
CHAPTER 18
CHAPTER 19
CHAPTER 20
CHAPTER 21
CHAPTER 22
CHAPTER 23
CHAPTER 24
CHAPTER 25
CHAPTER 26
CHAPTER 27
CHAPTER 28
CHAPTER 29
CHAPTER 30
CHAPTER 31
CHAPTER 32
EPILOGUE
SPECIAL CHAPTER
AUTHOR'S NOTE
PRE-ORDER ANNOUNCEMENT

CHAPTER 4

5.8K 193 10
Bởi dandelionsandmadness

"THERE'S THE THIEF WHO stole my bread! Catch her!" The man's deafening voice caught my attention.

I was in the middle of checking on some fruits on the side of the street when the man and the person he labeled a thief ran in my direction. Marina was beside me and her initial reaction was to pull me away from the commotion brewing towards us.

"Oh, my," I clicked my tongue when the hood of my cloak fell from my head. I quickly placed it back, then glanced at the commotion in front of us.

Torn and dirty clothes, messy auburn hair, and a frail-looking body covered with bruises. She looked a few years younger than me, and oddly enough, there's something pulling me to her.

"Here he goes again."

"Right. Poor little girl."

"She should have lived her life properly."

A couple of adults spitting unnecessary remarks soon surrounded the two, and I remained at the side of the fruit stall.

"You scrawny little girl!" The man shouted and slapped her on the cheek. The people watching the scene continued to whisper to one another, but no one dared to step forward and help the girl.

The man raised his other hand and slapped the girl again. A crease formed on my forehead. This somehow reminded me of some awful memories from my childhood in the manor.

"Shouldn't we call the guards?" I whispered, gritting my teeth. I couldn't bear to watch the scene any longer.

Marina must have felt how close I was to interrupting what was happening. She held my clenched hand and pulled me back a bit further from the incident.

"You mustn't, my lady. You'll get in trouble," she whispered. But I refused to stand aside and watch the absurd spectacle happening in front of me.

I pulled her hand away from mine. "I'm sorry, but I have to do this," I said as I stepped forward. I couldn't just leave her alone.

"Hey!" I shouted, catching the ugly man's attention. The man frowned as he turned and looked at me.

"This is none of your business, kid. Move away," he said and focused back on the girl. I glanced at her and I couldn't see any form of retaliation or hate from her face.

"You're much older than her, shouldn't you teach her proper manners instead of assaulting her like that?" I asked, my gaze still directed towards her. I really wasn't planning on poking my nose into someone's business, but I felt like my younger self would hate me if I ignored this.

The man looked at me again, and I could see irritation covering his bearded face. He then stepped closer towards me, as if he was about to punch or slap me on the face. The strong smell of beer invaded my nostril.

This disgusting creature dared to step closer to me.

I could feel Marina's pair of hands wrapping around my arm, as if to pull me back again.

"Here you go," I uttered, throwing the remaining pouch of money I had with me. "That's payment for her crimes and should be enough to get you a nice bath. If it's still not enough, then do visit the Eveningstar's estate and ask for more money," I added, emphasizing the name of the estate.

I could see the change of emotion from the man's eyes and he, along with the others watching us, immediately bowed in front of me.

The common people should know better than to mess with the empire's underdogs.

"I-I apologize, your ladyship," the man stuttered as his half-assed apology flew from his annoying mouth.

I scoffed at him. "I'd be taking this girl now," I announced. The girl looked a little confused as Marina helped her stand up. I'm not sure what I would do with her, but I'll figure that out once we reach the manor.

The way back to the carriage wasn't that far from the incident.

Ruderick looked surprised when he saw the three of us. I wasn't sure if the worried look on his face was for the injured girl, or for me who's about to bring home a commoner.

"My lady," he said, following behind me as I opened the door of the carriage. "His grace might allow this, but the young masters might get upset if you bring her into the estate."

I could sense the sincere worry he had for me, but I wouldn't need that right now. I just want to go back and rest.

"Don't worry about that. I'll handle even the possible punishment they might bestow on you. Just tell them that it was my fault for forcing you to follow my orders," I said nonchalantly as I climbed in the carriage.

I didn't hear another word from him as he closed the door. The ride back to the manor was more tiring. Maybe because Marina and that girl kept on staring at me as if they were waiting for something.

I sighed. "Let's talk tomorrow morning about this. I'm exhausted for the day," I muttered while I rested my back against the seat.

I should just let her work for me. I bought her with my allowance that I was supposed to use for something else anyways. And she seemed useful.

We soon reached the estate, and Ruderick was still throwing that worried look as I headed inside the manor. It's not like he's the one who will be punished for this.

"Your ladyship! Who is this girl?" Even the butler's surprised. The other servants working on the first floor looked perplexed as they saw us. Good, give your attention to me, so Marina can sneak inside and hide the things I bought.

"Elisse, what are you trying to do this time?" As expected of the next duke in line. The eldest young master has really nice timing skills, huh?

"She will become my new maid. I bought her with my allowance money," I said as if it wasn't really a big deal.

Eclipse frowned at me then he glanced at the girl beside me, eyeing her from head to toe. I quickly stepped in front of her to hide her from the gaze of the stupid young master in front of us.

"We have enough servants for that. Why are you suddenly buying people? They're not things you can buy," He scolded me with his annoyed face.

I watched from my peripheral vision on how the maids watching us smiled mockingly at me. I clicked my tongue and smirked. Fools.

"The other servants hated working under me. That's why I brought someone who is willing to serve me. And she's already mine, unless she can pay off the gold coins I spent on her." I'll apologize later for using such impolite words.

Eclipse looked as if he still wanted to refute my words, and before he could do that, I bowed at him and started walking away.

"It's nice seeing you, too, young master. I'll go and talk to his grace about this." I desperately wanted to stick my tongue out at him before turning around, but of course, I held it in.

As soon as I saw Marina walking back towards us, I quickly requested for her to take care of my new servant. "Both of you, come to my room after you're done washing up," I added.

I should start investing soon, so I can buy my own property and leave this hellish place in an instant. But first, I should find a way to get enough money to start an investment. I should fake spending using my allowance.

I only noticed that Eclipse was following me to the duke's office when I stopped in front of the door. I didn't bother glancing at him, for sure, he looks really pissed right now.

"Your grace? This is Elisse, may I come in?" I asked after knocking at the door.

I heard papers being dragged on wood before the duke answered. "You may."

I twisted the doorknob and opened the door. I didn't bother closing it as soon as I stepped in, knowing that the annoying eldest would follow inside.

"What brings you here, child?" the duke asked as he placed the papers he was holding on the desk. I greeted him formally first and as I lowered my head; I noticed the other documents roughly shoved on the desk.

But that's none of my business.

"I brought a girl with me. I bought her off her debt, and I intend to keep her as a servant."

The duke seemed confused with my words, and I ought to clarify them.

"I wasn't here to ask for permission, your grace. I'm here to inform you that I bought a servant for myself," I clarified, and I heard Eclipse scowling from behind me. How childish of him.

"Do you not like the servants in this estate?" the duke asked again, a crease visible on his forehead as if he's not aware of how his servants are treating me.

I smiled at him. "I think it's the other way around, your grace. And I cannot force anyone to serve me because I will only suffer for that. That's why I've decided to buy one for myself. Of course, I know how that may sound out of the empire's law, but I didn't buy a slave or some sort. Just a person with debts."

It seemed that he was taken aback with my words with the way his eyes slightly widened. I would be surprised to hear these words from another's mouth, too.

"I understand," he sighed. "You may do as you please," he added as if to dismiss the conversation we were having.

"But father! We do not even know anything about that thing!" And it was Eclipse's time to force his objection.

I glanced at him then back at the duke to see his reaction about his son's opposition. However, the duke didn't seem worried about that. He looked more worried about something else.

"You may now leave, Elisse."

I mentally shrugged then bowed before leaving them. Oh, well. I wouldn't want to be caught in their heated argument. At least he agreed with my request.

IT WAS ALREADY MIDNIGHT when I sneaked out of the manor, and went to my hiding place in the back garden. I needed to complete the summoning tonight, so I can check if it will work with my current abilities.

"Where was it again?" I whispered to myself as I flipped on the pages of my mother's book. I had been waiting for a while now for everyone to go to their chambers and sleep.

I even took my dinner in my room, and pretended that I needed to retire early for the day because of how exhausted I am. And I did fall asleep. Fortunately, Marina woke me up as she handed the things I purchased.

I was in the midst of locating the summoning chant on the pages of the book when I heard a soft rustle coming from the bush beside me. I froze for a second to look at the side and when I heard the rustling sound again, I moved the lamp I bought with me closer to it.

I wasn't afraid of ghosts, but I would be terrified if someone would catch me outside in this late hour.

"Who are you?" I whispered as I moved my head closer to the bush along with my lamp. "Oh, gosh!" I exclaimed when something jumped out of it.

I almost wanted to scold myself for being so scared of a fox. Or a pup? I frowned as I tried to assess the creature that stood in front of me.

The moon shone brightly, and it shared enough of its majestic light to me, allowing me to see clearly at this hour. Its silver fur and its pointy ears resembled a fox, but the fluffy physique resembled a pup.

"Ah. Whatever," I grunted, giving up from figuring out the creature's species.

It remained standing on the side as I stood in front of the tree. I copied the image of the summoning circle from my book and carved it on the ground using the pointy stone I found.

"Then I need to pour the mana on the carved circle," I whispered as I took the glass flask that contained the mana potion.

I poured it carefully within the circle I made on the ground. And lastly, since I couldn't bring a knife with me, I held onto the same stone I picked up on the ground. I spread out my hand and used the pointy part of the stone to cut a small part on my palm.

My blood dropped on the circle, blending with the mana potion I poured. Crimson light slowly glowed from it as my blood circulated within the summoning circle.

I could feel a faint pang on my chest as if my mana were flowing out of me and spilling on the carved circle. I quickly grabbed the book I placed on my foot.

"Oh, great spirits, I offer my blood and power to you. Come to me at once and help this humble soul," I chanted.

It was a very short incantation chant for some ancient summoning thing. I even thought that it might not work, but I was surprised when the stinging sensation on my bleeding palm stopped.

A blue light then swallowed my vision. It wasn't too bright to cover the entire garden, but it was bright enough to blind someone close to the circle.

"Woah? Did it work?" I asked as the light slowly faded.

The remaining light floated mid-air and it looked like magical specs of dust.

"A name. Give me a name." The soothing, disembodied voice echoed both in my head and the surroundings. And I felt a warm presence gracing me.

I glanced around, but there was nothing in sight, except for the creature who was now hiding back in the bush and the glowing specs of dust-like particles floating closer towards me.

I did read about these spirits receiving a name and an identity from their masters.

"A name," the spirit whispered again.

"Ancient spirit, I grant you the name of Pandora," I pronounced. But as I granted the spirit a name, a faint throbbing pain sprouted on my chest.

Then the glowing dust slowly landed on the ground, forming the shape of a creature. "And you are?"

"Elisse Eveningstar."

"Elisse Eveningstar, I pledge to be with you until the day you pass."

My eyes widened at the sight of the creature that's finally becoming visible in front of me. A six-tailed fox with blood-like eyes, and a glowing dark fur. The creature looked majestic with its human-like size.

Not that it extremely matters, but is it a he or a she?

"I'm a male in human properties, master. And I am a mystical beast."

I was amazed. I didn't know that they could read minds. The amusement that I felt was soon replaced by the throbbing pain on my chest.

"Urgh!" I fell on my knees as my chest tightened. I gasped as another painful sensation burned on my back, it felt like something was being carved on my skin. "What's happening to me?" I whispered, breathless as I fell on the ground.

"Bear with it for a while, master. A flower is blooming on your skin, a symbol of our pact."

His mouth wasn't moving, but I'm sure that he's talking to me. I can clearly hear his voice in my head. I couldn't remember what else happened after that as my vision was soon engulfed by the darkness. And the last thing I remembered were a pair of hands picking me up from the ground.

Đọc tiếp

Bạn Cũng Sẽ Thích

18.2K 639 35
** This is book one of a three book series. The other two are on Amazon but I started writing the story on wattpad and wanted to keep it here for mem...
127K 3.9K 64
Lily Smith was an average girl with an average life. That is, until she got sick, really sick. After spending 6 months withering away in a hospital...
18K 892 28
TO BE EDITED. *** Eris Belladonna was a child born the same day as God's prophecy. She was blessed with beauty and an immense amount of divinity that...
20.3K 2.7K 90
A forsaken God in exile, seeking to find his purpose. A soldier with a questionable past. Destiny picks the two most unlikely pieces upon the board a...