After the War: an MTG story

By Nkid00

This story is for people who play the game and know the lore up through war of the spark. If you don't, then... More

Prologue
Chapter 1: Skill
Chapter 2: Worry
Chapter 3: Friends
Chapter 4: Change
Chapter 5: Danger
Chapter 6: Answers
Chapter 7: Family
Chapter 8: Strategy
Chapter 9: Silence
Chapter 10: Strange
Chapter 11: Reunion
Chapter 12: Revenge
Chapter 13: Outnumbered

Chapter 14: Rally

14 1 0
By Nkid00

Two hours after Nate defeated the executioners, the resistance and Gatewatch had gathered at the school to discus a strike on Bolus' hideout. However, there were quite a few conflicting opinions. 

"It's too soon!" one of the moms said. 

"Nate took out six Bolus soldiers TODAY, I think we'll be fine!"  responded a high schooler.

"You mean Nate and the Gatewatch will be fine. The rest of us would be totally screwed!" called another student.

"Then just send me and the Gatewatch!" Nate yelled, slamming his fists on the table and quieting the others. "I had to watch a twelve year old die today, I won't risk another life if I can help it." 

"Not alone your not." Eddy said.

"If you're going then so am I." Tom insisted.

"You say that like the rest of us aren't coming too." Sylvia stated.

"Like it or not, you're stuck with us." Amy said, grabbing his hand. 

"How touching!" A voice called from the door way. Everyone snapped their heads to the door too find Dovin and a young boy that Nate recognized as a freshmen named Edgar, although Nate could have sworn that Edgar didn't know how to play. "Unfortunately, it's time for Nate to die." 

"Dovin!" Jace called, "Still running errands for the over grown gecko?" 

"Watch your tongue Beleren, This doesn't concern you anyway." Dovin spat, "My apprentice and I are here to challenge the boy." 

"Two on one doesn't seem very fair." Nate pointed out.

"Says the guy that single handedly took down all five of the executioners at once." Edgar called.

"Yeah but something tells me that you guys are a lot smarter than the executioners." Nate replied.

"True," Dovin mused, "Very well boy, you may choose a partner for a two on two battle." 

"I'll fight!" Amy called. 

"What're you doing?" Nate asked, pulling Amy aside.

"Helping you," Amy said casually, "Got a problem with that?" 

Nate sighed, he knew when he could or couldn't talk Amy out of something, and this was most definitely a couldn't. "Damn it, let's go." 

The rest of the resistance got into the bleachers while Nate, Amy, Edgar, and Dovin took the field.  After some discussing, the turn order was decided as Nate, Dovin, Amy, Edgar. 

"I'll start with a mountain and end my turn." Nate declared, the red flame appearing above him.

"I play an island and end my turn." Dovin stated as the blue water drop appeared.

"I play a Dimir guildgate and end." Amy called as the Dimir symbol formed above her.

"I play a woodland stream and end." Edgar said with the right half of the green tree and left half of the blue drop above him. 

"I play a plains and end." Nate said as the white sun shimmered into existence above him.

"I will also play a plains," Dovin began, "Then for one white and one other, I summon an impassioned orator." the white orb changed into a door that the orator walked out of, the door disappearing as soon as it was closed. "I end my turn."  

"I play another Dimir guildgate and end my turn." Amy declared. 

"I play a mountain and end." Edgar said, smugly.

"So you play three color." Nate said to Edgar.

"Of course I do," Edgar snapped, "Now take your turn!"

"Can't wait to loose huh?" Nate responded, "I play a plains, then for a white and two others, I summon a rising populace and end my turn." the white orb turned into a kneeling man. the man then stood up and sighed, a deadly serious expression on his face.

"I play a plains, then for a blue and one other, I summon a sky theater strix which activates my orator's ability." Dovin explained. The blue orb sprouted wings, flying into the sky and out of sight. There was a loud hoot as the strix swooped back into view. The orator then raised his book towards the strix, causing it and Dovin to glow white. "I end my turn." Dovin 21, others 20.

"I play an island," Amy started, "Then for a blue and one other, I cast drowned secrets and end my turn." The blue orb hit the ground, causing a four foot circle to collapse into what seemed to be a bottomless pit, countless blue tentacles wriggling and writhing above the surface while the horror that they belonged to remained hidden.

"I play a forest," Edgar called, "Then for a green and two others, I summon Marwyn, the nurturer and end my turn." The green orb turned into a crying elf baby, Marwyn then walked over and comforted the  child, picking it up and strapping them to her chest.

"I play a mountain," Nate began, "Then for a white and two others, I summon a second rising populace." The white orb repeated the actions of the previous one. "And finally, I send my first populace to attack  Dovin." 

"I'll respond by having my orator block, killing them both." Dovin stated.

"Not so fast!" Amy interrupted, "For one blue, I cast dazzling lights on the orator, giving it -3/-0 until the end of the turn." The blue orb sped towards the orator, circling its head and making it lower its guard while its eyes began glow blue, indicating that it was now spellbound. The populace continued its attack and killed the orator without any resistance or repercussions. "And since I cast a blue spell, a player of my choice has to put the top two cards of their library into their graveyard, so I chose Edgar." one of the tentacles from the pit shot over to Edgar and grabbed onto his wrist.

"Damn it." Edgar said as he milled two of his cards.

"Dazzling lights also lets me surveil twice." Amy said as she looked at the top two cards of her deck. "Ill keep them both.

"I end my turn," Nate finished.

"I play an island," Dovin said, "Then for a blue, a white, and two others, I summon an elite guardmage, who gives me three life. I end my turn." The gold orb spun and flattened into a platform  the guardmage landing on top of it, bowing to Dovin and causing them both to glow slightly. Dovin 24, others 20.

"I play an island," Amy said, "Then for a black, a blue, and two others, I summon Etrata, the silencer and end my turn." the gold orb flashed into the Dimir symbol, a swarm of bats swooped in and began circling the symbol, reviling Etrata upon dispersing. 

"I play an island and end my turn," Edgar yelled.

"I play a mountain," Nate said. He looked at Amy and she shook her head, "I end my turn.

"I play a plains and summon another guardmage." Dovin said, the gold orb repeating the actions of the previous. "Then I'll have one of them attack Nate." The guardmage took flight towards Nate, spear in hand. Dovin 27, others 20.

"Hold it!" Nate called. "for one white, I cast Gideon's sacrifice and target one of my populaces, it dies, but I take no damage." The white orb hit the populace, giving it a white aura. The populace then yelled as the guardmage threw his spear, causing the spear to glow white as it changed course midair and hit the populace. "this activates my second populace's ability, giving it +1/+1." A crying woman appeared next to the first man. 

"I end my turn." Dovin said, grinding his teeth.

"I play an island," Amy said, "Then I have Etrata attack Dovin and the strix." Etrata developed a blue and black aura, resulting in a wicked smile. Etrata disappeared with a blast of wind, reappearing behind Dovin. Etrata sheathed her knife, causing Dovin to hold his chest and the strix to drop dead. As Etrata returned to Amy's library, the strix turned into a dark grey orb with a knife on it that floated next to Dovin to act as the hit counter. "I end my turn." Dovin 24, others 20.

"I play an island." Edgar called, "then for a blue and two others, I summon an exultant cultist and end my turn." the blue orb it the ground, causing a wave to form and crash a second later, revealing the cultist. 

"I play a mountain," Nate started, "then for a red and one other, I summon a burning prophet and end my turn." The red orb ignited, their hands forming around the small ball of fire followed by the rest of her body.

"I'll play an island," Dovin said, "Next, I'll summon a warden of Evos isle for a blue and two others." The blue orb began to spin, creating a small tornado of feathers. The bird wizard spread its wing to their full length, scattering the feathers. "Next, I'll have one of my guardmages attack each of you foe two."

"I can't defend." Nate replied.

"Neither can I." Amy followed.

The two mages surfed on the air on their golden disks towards the pair, doing a single thrust strike each and returning to Dovin. "I end my turn." Dovin finished. Dovin 24, Edgar 20, Nate and Amy 18.

"I play an island," Amy began, "For a blue and two others, I summon a Dimir informant." the blue orb flashed into the Dimir symbol, causing a hooded with a letter to appear on the field. "She was a blue spell so Edgar has to mill twice and she lets me surveil twice." a blue tentacle wrapped around Edgars wrist while Amy surveiled. "I'll keep the cards and end my turn."

"For a green and four others, I summon thornhide wolves and end my turn." Edgar declared. the green orb planted itself, immediately sprouting into a torn bush. The bush wrapped around itself and formed into the wolf which proceeded to howl upon completion.

"I play a mountain," Nate stated, "Then for a red and two others, I cast blindblast on Dovin's warden." The card changed into a red orb in Nate's hand. Nate then threw the orb at the bird wizard, resulting in a small flash bang in its face. the warden fell to the ground stunned but not dead. "Blindblast also lets me draw a card." Nate continued, "I played a non-creature spell, activating my prophet's ability," the prophet turned to Nate while the fire ball grew slightly, an image of the back of a card appearing in the flames. "And finally, I'll have both of my creatures attack Dovin for five."

"I take the five." Dovin growled. The populace run up to Dovin, punching him and running back to Nate while the prophet threw her fire ball, creating a new one as soon as the first one hit. Dovin 19, Edgar 20, Nate and Amy 18.

"For a white and two others, I summon a trusted pegasus and end my turn." Nate finished. The white orb turned into a white horse. The horse reared back and neighed, its powerful wings coming into view. 

"I play a plains," Dovin began, "For a white and two others, I cast aerial assault on Nate's rising populace, killing it and giving me three life." The white orb flashed slightly and disappeared. There was a sudden screech, like that of a hawk. Three hawks then swooped in to make the kill, but they never got the chance.

"For two blue and one other, I cast sinister sabotage!" Amy called, "Countering your spell and letting me surveil once." The blue orb shot across the field and stopped in front of the populace, flashing into the Dimir symbol and ensnaring the hawks, forcing them to disappear. "I cast a blue spell so Edgar will mill two."

"This is getting ridiculous." Edgar complained as the blue tentacle forced him to mill.

"I have my guardmages both attack Amy!" Dovin roared in annoyance.

"I take the four." Amy said wincing. The two mages swooped in and struck Amy with their spears, flying back to Dovin afterwards.

"I end my turn." Dovin smirked. Amy: 14.

"My informant will attack Edgar." Amy said.

"my wolves will block and kill her." Edgar replied.

"No they won't," Amy said, "For a black and three others, I cast price of fame, killing your wolves and letting me surveil twice." the black orb turned into a Dimir assassin that was sprinting towards Edgar's thornhide wolves.

"Not so fast!" Dovin interrupted, "For a blue and a white, I cast my veto, countering your spell." The gold orb flashed in front of the assassin causing him to stumble, fall, and disappear.

"For one blue, I cast dazzling lights on the wolves," Amy called, a blue orb spun around each of the wolves' heads, causing them to relax. "now neither of them die and I still get to surveil twice. I'll keep them and I cast a blue  spell so Edgar will mill." 

"Oh god damn it!" Edgar yelled.

"I end." Amy finished.

"For one green, I summon llanowar elves, giving Marwyn +1/+1 ." Edgar started, the green orb turned into some shrubs, a single elf jumping out of them. the elf then turned to Marwyn and bowed to her. " Then I 'll tap Marwyn for two green mana." Marwyn shot two arrows into the sky, each of turning into a small green tree. "Then for two green and four others, I cast prodigious growth on Marwyn, giving her +7/+7 and making her a 9/9." the green orb hit Marwyn in the back, causing her to grow an additional three feet. "My cultist will attack Nate."

"My pegasus will block and both die and activating my populace's ability." Nate said.

"since my cultist died,  get to draw a card and end my turn." Edgar finished.

"For a white and two others, I summon another trusted pegasus and have my populace attack Dovin for four." Nate said

"My warden will block and die." Dovin responded.

"I end." Nate said.

"I play a plains and have all of my creatures attack Amy for four." Dovin called.

"I cant block!" Amy said worriedly.  the two flyers sped in and struck her, dropping her HP to 10. 

"Amy!" Nate called.

"I'm fine." she quickly responded. 

"If you need to drop back then just do it, I can handle these guys on my own." Nate told his girlfriend.

"Hell no!  For two black and three others I cast deadly visit on Marwyn and end my turn." A Dimir assassin appeared behind Marwyn as a silhouette, ready to make the kill.

"For a blue and a white I cast my veto!" Dovin declared. the gold orb flashing in front of the assassin's shadowy form, causing it to vanish.

"I play an island," Edgar called smugly. "then I tap Marwyn for nine green mana and my llanowar elf for one green mana." Marwyn shot nine arrows into the sky while the elf warrior crossed her knives in front of her. "for two green and 14 others, I cast Kamahl's druidic vow." the green orb pulsed and projected a forest around Edgar. "I get to look at the top 14 cards of my library, putting any lands and legendary permanents onto the field, the rest go to my graveyard." Edgars deck flashed green while the top 14 cards floated in front of him, he scowled and groaned as only two Izzet guildgates went onto the field. 

"I thought I told you that card was no good." Dovin snapped.

"Sorry master," Edgar said, "I couldn't find a replacement." It is now clear to Nate that Edgar still doesn't know how to play.

"If you two are done with your little lovers spat," Nate taunted, "for a red and four others, I summon a chinwhip cyclops." The red orb morphed into the chain whip while the cyclops' hand grabbed it out of mid air and continued to form. "Then I have my other creatures attack Dovin for seven." 

"I can't defend." Dovin growled as the three creatures hit him. Dovin: 12.

"I end my turn." Nate said.

"For two of any, I put a guild globe onto the field and draw a card." Dovin said, "now for a blue and two others, I summon myself, hand of control." the planeswalker symbol flashed on the field, and another Dovin shimmered into existence. "I end my turn."

"For a blue, a black, and two others, I summon Etrata, the silencer." Amy said smugly. "I end my turn."

"I play a third Izzet guildgate," Edgar said, "then for a blue and four others, I cast switcheroo on my llanowar elf and Etrata!" the blue orb flew to the middle of the field, two arks of electricity shot from it and hit the targeted creatures. there was a sudden white flash that blinded everyone. As soon as everyone could see, they saw that the two had switched places. "Etrata will then attack Nate and kill his prophet." Etrata developed a blue and black aura like before, resulting in another wicked smile. Etrata disappeared with a blast of wind, reappearing behind Nate. Etrata sheathed her knife, causing Nate to take a knee and the prophet to drop dead. As Etrata returned to Amy's library, the prophet turned into a dark grey orb with a knife on it, like with the strix,  and floated next to Nate to act as the hit counter. "I end my turn."

"You idiot!" Dovin yelled, "Why didn't you kill his populace?" 

"Um." Edgar said with a dear in the headlights look. 

"Hey I'm not complaining," Nate said as he drew his card, "Makes it stronger. For a white and three others, I cast prison realm on Marwyn, exiling her and letting me scry once." the white orb grew rapidly as it flew towards Marwyn. Once it hit her, she disappeared, leaving the keystone in her place. "I'll put the card on the bottom of my library. For a red and three others, I activate my cyclops' ability and make it so one of your guardmages can't block." the cyclops struck at one of the mages, entangling him with the chain. "my populace will attack Dovin for five and my pegasus and cyclops will attack Edgar for six." 

"My guardmage will block and die." Dovin said, grinding his teeth. 

"I take the six." Edgar sighed as the took his first bit of damage of the match.

"I end my turn." Nate said." Dovin 12, Edgar 14, Nate 18, Amy 10.

"I'll play an island," Dovin began, "then I activate my -1 and make it so your cyclops can't give or take damage until my next turn. Then I end my turn." The summoned Dovin raised his hand towards the cyclops, causing a shimmering blue and white shield to appear in front of it. 

"I play a swamp," Amy stated," then my informant and my elf will attack Edgar for two."

"I take the two," Edgar said, bracing himself for the damage.

"I end," Amy finished.

"For a blue and two three others, I cast sift," Edgar called. the blue orb turned into two floating hands, one holding three cards while the other was empty. Edgar took the three cards and handed one back. "Next, I'll play an evolving wilds and sacrifice it to put a mountain on the field. And finally, for a red and two others, I summon a frilled deathspitter and end." The red orb sprouted frills and began to take shape as the dinosaur became solid. 

"I play a plains," Nate said, "then for a red and three others, I activate my cyclops' ability on your last guardmage," the cyclops ensnared the human mage with its chains once again. "Next, I have my populace and pegasus attack hand of control for seven in the air." 

"I can't defend." Dovin growled. the populace mounted the pegasus and flew towards the summoned planeswalker, killing him.

"I end my turn," Nate said. As Dovin's turn began, the shield blocking the cyclops disappeared. 

"For a blue and two others, I summon myself, hand of control once again and end my turn." Dovin said as another Dovin appeared.

"For a black, a blue, and two others, I summon Etrata, the silencer and end my turn." 

"Again!?" Edgar yelled.

"It's weird that you got her so many times considering you only have the one copy of her," Nate stated. 

"Isn't it great?" 

"Whatever!" Edgar yelled, "I play an evolving wilds then sacrifice it for an island."

"Edgar!" Dovin yelled, "Stop milling yourself, you can't afford it.'

"Don't worry master," Edgar called, "I have a plan, for a blue and five others, I summon a cold-water snapper." The blue orb expanded into a small mountain which began to rise out of the ground to reveal the legs and head of the giant turtle. "I end my turn."

"I play a plains," Nate began, "then I'll activate my cyclops' ability for a red and three others, targeting Dovin's guardmage, and my pegasus and cyclops attack Dovin for six while my populace attacks Edgar for five." 

"I take the six." Dovin said worriedly, he only has six HP left.  

"My dino will block and die," Edgar said, "but he will do two damage to you directly."

"Fair enough." Nate said as the frilled deathspitter shot acid at him. "I end my turn." 16 HP.

"I activate my -1, targeting Etrata," Dovin called, "then I'll have my guardmage attack Amy while my denizen attacks Nate, both for two."

"I can't defend," Nate said. 14 HP.

"Neither can I." Amy followed. 8 HP. 

"I end my turn."

"For a blue and two others, I cast unexplained disappearance on my informant, returning her to my hand, and surveil once." Amy said. The blue orb floated behind the informant and flashed into the Dimir symbol behind the, turning into a thick grey fog that seamed to swallow her. "I cast a blue spell so Edgar mills two." Edgar growled as the blue tentacle forced him to mill. "Then for another blue and two others, I resummon my informant, letting me surveil twice and triggering drowned secrets yet again, and ending my turn."

"You're in trouble now," Edgar taunted, "I play a forest, then for two blue and two red, I summon a crackling drake." The gold orb flashed into the Izzet symbol as lightning shot from it, forming the drake. 

"Oh crap." Nate gulped.

"Edgar you may have just won us the game!" Dovin called to his apprentice, proudly. 

"I forget, why is crackling drake special?" Amy asked worriedly.

"It's power is equal to the number of instants and sorceries in my graveyard." Edgar said smugly, "And you miss Amy, have been oh so kindly milling me this entire game, making my drake a 10/4." 

"Oh crap." Amy gulped.

"It can't do anything this turn but it can next time, I end." Edgar finished.

"Oh thank God!" Nate yelled, "for a white and five others, I cast wanderer's strike and exile crackling drake!"

"No!" Edgar and Dovin both yelled. The white orb shimmered into the form of the wanderer, which then attacked the drake, causing both to disappear. 

"My cyclops and pegasus will attack Dovin for six."

 "I can't defend." Dovin turned pail as the two creatures rushed towards him to make the kill. 

"Master!" Edgar screamed as he watched Dovin's body fall dead. 

"Edgar." Nate called, "do you want to surrender, or do you want to end up like Dovin?"

"I," Edgar looked panicked, "I concede." Edgar fell to his knees and dropped  his cards, the field returning to normal. Some of the resistance ran onto the field, gathering Dovin's deck and grabbing hold of Edgar's arms, pulling him away for questioning. "Wait," Edgar said as he passed Nate, "Can you be my new master?" he asked Nate. 

"What?" Nate asked confused.

"Well aren't you a loyal one?" Amy asked sarcastically.

"Dovin told me that if I trained with him I would become the strongest player, second only to Nicol Bolas himself," Edgar explained. 

"Is that why you joined him?" Nate asked. 

"I really don't care about this war," Edgar said, "I just want to be the best." 

"You're never gonna beat Nate, though," Amy told him. 

"Even if I end up second best, I'd be happy," Edgar finished.

"I'll have to think about it." Nate said, still pretty confused about the conversation he just had. 

"So now what?" Amy asked Nate. 

Nate turned to the crowd and called, "Alright everyone, start preparing, we move on Bolas in three days!" 

There was cheering and whistling from the students, they were ready to fight, but a lot of the parents were still hesitant about letting them storm a dragon's lair. 

4110 words. Holly crap that was a long ass chapter and it took forever to write (sorry about that). So now the resistance is planning on bringing the fight to Bolas. I wonder how that will go, only one way to find out. Until next time, may the item drops forever be in your favor.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.5M 49.9K 66
In which the reader from our universe gets added to the UA staff chat For reasons the humor will be the same in both dimensions Dark Humor- Read at...
423K 12.4K 102
"aren't we just terrified?" 9-1-1 and criminal minds crossover 9-1-1 season 2- criminal minds season 4- evan buckley x fem!oc
925K 39.1K 81
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC
108K 3.9K 35
There's no way you're hitting on me right now. ━ Lando Norris x Fem!OC © KissLeclerc , April 2024