Chasing The Keeper

By thyroids

This is an overall very light hearted fanfic with an enemies to lovers plot. VERY MUCH SLOWBURN!!! Enjoy your... More

Prologue
Introduction
Quidditch
Practice
Oh No
Fucking Flint
A Sour Date
Christmas
The Slimy Slytherin
Deathbed
End of the Year
Tall, Dark, and Handsome
A Correspondence
First Day of Sixth Year
Lockhart
Amortentia
Winner Takes The Date
Lori's Big Idea
Hogsmeade Date
Rumours and Planning
Duelling Club
I❀️Vinny
Mistletoe
Gift Exchange
Anything From The Trolley Dears?
Harsh Practice and Panic
Slytherin Defeat
Lovepotion Frenzy
Valentine's Day
Cancelled Match
Happy Ending to a Disastrous Year
Intern Assistant
Cold Ride
A Beater With Elegance
Drunk Confessions
Halloween
Dementors
Adrenaline Pumping
A Very Merry Christmas Morning
Preparations
Slytherin and Our Narrow Escape
The Quidditch Final
Nose in The Books
Too Many Snapes
Coming To A Close
Epilogue

Ends and New Beginnings

1.1K 32 89
By thyroids

With us flattening Hufflepuff, Oliver became repossessed of his manic energy and worked for his team as hard as ever in the chilly haze of rain that persisted into December.

Of course, I did as well, and we had constant battles of who gets the field, but while my team looked healthy when they got up each morning, his all looked sleep-deprived.

Two weeks before the end of the term, the sky lightened suddenly to a dazzling, opaline white and the muddy grounds were revealed one morning covered in glittering frost. Inside the castle, there was a buzz of Christmas in the air. Professor Flitwick, the Charms teacher, had already decorated his classroom with shimmering lights that turned out to be real, fluttering fairies. The students were all happily discussing their plans for the holidays.

To my great delight, there was to be another Hogsmeade trip on the very last weekend of the term. This was another rare date opportunity with Vincent that I was keen on taking up.

On the Saturday morning of the Hogsmeade trip, I awoke in a jovial mood, excited to finally wear the coat Vincent gifted me while in his company.

I paired it with plain jeans and a turtleneck and did a spin in front of the mirror.

"Damn bitch, looking good," June nodded in approval.

"I 'ave that same coat at 'ome!" Liane clapped, "I love that deesigner!"

June and Sarah were one of the first pairs to walk down to Hogsmeade.

"Ugh, Elio can't make it today, he's got exams today." Lori groaned as we walked down the snowy path.

Elio was now a student enrolled in the Wizarding University, studying Foreign and Ancient Magical languages. He chose to go to the campus set up in Athens.

"You'll be going there with him in less than a year." I shrugged, "Besides, hanging out with Liane doesn't sound too terrible."

"It's not," Lori smiled, "We're going to use our time to visit the robe shops and maybe scout for a dress for the end of the year ball."

"Oui!" Liane nodded.

The snow crunched under our shoes, as we stepped into Hogsmeade. Its streets were already filled with a bustling crowd. In the centre stood Vincent, his hands tucked into the pocket of his jeans.

He flashed a smile and ran up to me, picking me up and twirling me in the air with great ease.

"Hello to you too," I giggled, planting a quick kiss on his lips as he put me down.

Lori and Liane were still next to us and I looked over at them. Liane had a strange dozed-off sort of smile, like her mind was not in the Hogsmeade plaza, but off in some land far far away.

"Well, I'll be going then," I said, waving to my friends goodbye, "Have fun with your dresses."

Vincent and I walked along the streets.

"It's almost Christmas isn't it?" I remarked, intertwining my hands with his.

"Tis the season," Vincent grinned.

"I can't wait for school to get off on break." I groaned. "Schoolwork is kicking my arse right now."

"I can't wait to spend some more time with you when you're off school as well," Vincent muttered, kissing the top of my head.

"Me too." I grinned.

"Here, how about, the day after you get back, I take you out for dinner," Vincent offered.

"That sounds wonderful."

~~~~

It was December twenty-first. It was snowing outside, and I could hear the wind howl melodically through the crack in my window. The small fireplace in my room was crackling, and my owl Mitch sat serenely on her perch, her eyes shut, basking in the warmth of the fire.

A simple white blouse with puffed sleeves and plaid pants sat high on my waist.

My mind wandered over to Oliver. What was he doing now? Making a quidditch strategy no doubt. Or perhaps he was working away at his winter break assignments. Snape's potions essay perhaps? I could almost see him. He would be sitting at his plain desk, littered with papers, scrawling on crinkled parchment with a quill that is on its dying breath. His face would be contorted into a grimace full of concentration, his dislike of potion evident with every new line he wrote down. The red walls of his room were littered with all sorts of quidditch paraphernalia; quidditch team posters, jerseys, signed photos, all his old broom.

A knock came from downstairs, and Mitch startled awake, opening her large amber eyes and looking around the room.

I walked downstairs, where my mom was already jovially greeting Vincent. He was wearing a black blazer, and in his arms was a large bouquet of roses that he was just handing over to my mom as she excitedly babbled about putting them in a vase.

His eyes met mine, and he smiled warmly.

I walked up to him and pulled him into a hug, which earned an audible "awwww, my baby is all grown up," from my mom.

Vincent grabbed my hand and suddenly we were sucked downwards. I didn't even have time to react before finding that we were standing in front of a large mansion with the words "The Equine" shimmering in crystals above its entrance.

Vincent led me to the doors, which were quickly opened by a couple of ethereal-looking nymphs, whose dresses looked like clouds and the wind.

"Welcome back Mr. Ford," The black-haired nymph said, in a voice so angelic that sounded like running water. "Right this way."

The walls around us shimmered in a sort of crystal light, like an ice cave, illuminated by something that looked like northern lights at the top of the ceiling.

We followed the nymph through the large mansion, passing beautifully decorated tables and the important people sitting at them. I even saw Cornelius Fudge at one of them, merrily eating at it with his wife.

We stopped in front of a beautiful door made out of fragmented glass and jewels. The nymph pushed it open, and we entered a closed balcony overlooking a beautiful snowy meadow inside of an ice cave. At least another twenty balconies like ours lined the large cavern. In it, I could see beautiful with what I could only think to be large crystal horns on their forehead. Unicorns. These were no ordinary unicorns however, they had beautiful thick fur clearly suited for gruelling cold climates.

Our table was right next to the window overlooking it all. It was covered with a translucent white covering and encrusted with precious stones that glimmered with light that passed over them. The chairs were made out of what looked like enchanted clouds, floating next to the table.

"I'll be over to ask your orders in just a bit." The nymph gestured us into the balcony.

I sat down warily on the cloud chairs, unsure whether they actually worked. To my surprise the chair morphed under me, accommodating my posture and comfort perfectly.

Vincent sat down in front of me, and silver-lined menus appeared in front of us. I opened the parchment and looked on the first page. My eyes widened at the prices.

"Vincent this is all too expensive," I began to mumble, "I can't afford this."

"Nonsense," Vincent waved dismissively, "I'm paying."

"But,"

"When you're with me, you don't have to worry about anything." He shrugged.

"Alright," I forced an awkward smile.

It was a sweet gesture to bring me to such an expensive place, and to pay for it as well... Of course, Vincent had the money to pay for it all; he was one of the most famous rising quidditch stars. And "The Equine" was one of the most beautiful places I had ever been in, but it wasn't a place I would want to go on as a date. We've been together for a year and he didn't know that, granted, I've never told him or indicated my discomfort towards luxury and extravagance.

We ordered, and I opted for a small salad. Cliche, I know, but it felt almost wrong to eat something so expensive with his money.

"My love," Vincent said, noticing how uncomfortable I looked, "Is anything the matter? You look gloomy."

"It's just," I frowned, "This place is overwhelming."

"You don't like it?" Vincent puzzled.

"It's beautiful but," I began muttering, only to be quickly interrupted by Vincent.

"Let's ditch this place then," Vincent suggested cocking an eyebrow.

"But we already ordered..." I looked into his eyes.

"Who cares," Vincent swatted the air dismissively, "Let's go."

He grabbed my hand from across the table and pulled me out of my seat. I giggled as he flung open the door and we ran through the crystal corridors of the restaurant.

I could see people at tables shooting us off looks as we ran by, laughing loudly. At that moment, however, I could care less. I felt as though I was enjoying myself.

"Sir where are you go-" The nymph who was our waiter began to stutter as we ran by, but Vincent said nothing in response.

We flung the doors open to the outside, and began to laugh, no longer stifling any giggles.

"My place?" Vincent offered, "I can fix us a cuppa."

"Sounds lovely," I grinned, and without another word, he apparated with me in front of his apartment door.

He unlocked it and pushed it open, "After you m'lady."

I stepped into a dimly lit studio apartment with closed curtains on every window. It was nearly furnished, with a large king-sized bed in the corner of the living room. The ceiling was enchanted to look like the night sky, and I could spot familiar constellations as I looked up.

"What would you like to drink?" Vincent asked, taking off his coat and placing it on the rack.

It was like an instinctual reaction, as instead of answering normally, I flung myself on him and began kissing him.

This took Vincent aback at first, but it only took him a second to begin kissing back, and my hands began to roam down his back, as did his.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" Vincent asked, smiling ear to ear.

I nodded and pulled him close.

~~~~

My head rested on his chest, and I twirled my finger around his bare skin. A feeling of a sort of euphoria still shrouded me.

"We'll get married someday," Vincent said resolutely, rubbing his hand up and down my shoulder.

"Oh yeah?" I giggled.

"Once you're out of Hogwarts, I'll buy us a big house, and we'll start a family," Vincent said dreamily. "You'll never have to lift a finger in your life when we're married."

"What?" I sat up and looked at him. "But what about my future quidditch career?"

"Reporting quidditch games seems like a chore," He yawned, "Would you really prefer that to having a family with me?"

"Vincent..." I paused, "I don't want to be a reporter, I want to be a player."

"What?" Vincent looked at me and furrowed his brows, "I could've sworn it was reporting."

How could he not know my dreams and aspirations? Being a pro quidditch player was part of me as a person, and he didn't even know that.

"Vincent we've been together for a year," I gulped, "How could you not know this."

"I'm sorry," Vincent sighed, "I'm my defense you haven't talked to me all that much about it."

"Didn't I?" My mind was buzzing.

"Maybe you did," Vincent began smiling again, "But that's no big deal, if you want to go into quidditch then you can."

"What's my favourite colour?" I whispered.

"What?" Vincent tilted his head.

"What's my favourite colour?" I repeated myself, this time a little louder.

"I don't know," he puzzled, "Do you know mine?"

"No," I choked, feeling tears well in my eyes.

I've been with a man who I knew nothing about me below surface level, not even some things on the surface level. I didn't love him. I never loved him. I loved the idea of him, I loved the feeling of being noticed, but I didn't even stop to think if I truly liked him.

"What's wrong?" Vincent asked, sensing my distress.

"What kind of gum do I always carry around in my pocket?" I stared into his eyes.

"How would I know?" Vincent asked, still very confused.

"This isn't going to work," I uttered, feeling a tear escape from my eye.

"What do you mean?" Vincent blurted, leaning towards me, "What's going on?"

"I don't think I love you, Vincent," I said under my breath, just loud enough to hear, "And you don't love me either."

"Y/n you're making no sense right now," He protested, his eyes growing bleary as well.

"Vincent this would be better for the both of us..." I got up and began putting my clothes on.

"Why now?" He asked, his voice cracking.

"Because I don't think either of us can pretend for any longer." I replied, "I'm sorry it took me so long to realize that."

Vincent stared at his wall blankly, "What were we doing right now then, and why did you start?"

"I don't know." I smiled sadly, "I'm so sorry."

I threw the rest of my clothes on as fast as I could and began walking towards the door.

"Will you ever come back?" Vincent called after me.

"No," I shook my head, wiping a tear from my eye, "Good night, Vincent."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

410 4 19
They are on different sides of the world; him breaking, convinced that she is void of love, and her burning, loving and knowing she is wrong for it...
898 79 30
(Harry Potter Fanfic - Wood Series Book 1) All Harry wanted was to survive the summer and get back to Hogwarts for his sixth year without any inciden...
137K 4.1K 60
Oliver Wood sees a lot of his younger self in Hermione Granger when she appears at Hogwarts for her first year. He takes it upon himself to look afte...