Forever Change (COMPLETED)

By backupkbr

-BOOK ONE!- Living a double life, Maebel Manchester, also known as Danger Girl, and the daughter of Ray Manch... More

The Danger Begins - Pt 1 (1)
The Danger Begins - Pt 2 (2)
Mo' Danger, Mo' Problems (3)
The Secret Gets Out (4)
Tears of the Jolly Beetle (5)
Substitute Teacher (6)
Jasper Danger (7)
The Space Rock (8)
Birthday Girl Down (9)
Too Much Game (10)
Henry the Man-Beast (11)
Invisible Brad (12)
Spoiler Alert (13)
Let's Make A Steal (14)
Super Volcano (15)
My Phony Valentine (16)
Caved In (17)
Dream Busters (19)
Kid Grounded (20)
Captain Jerk (21)
The Bucket Trap (22)
Henry and the Bad Girl - Pt 1 (23)
Henry and the Bad Girl - Pt 2 (24)
Jasper's Real Girlfriend (25)

Man of the House (18)

1.6K 28 3
By backupkbr

It was another day after school and Maebel was, yet again, exhausted from it. Henry asked her to go over to his house so him, her, Charlotte, and Jasper could work on a science project together. Piper was on a video call with her dad, who was out of town for a while. She kept whining about how she didn't want to talk to him and how she instead wanted to play on her phone, per usual. Maebel sat next to Henry at the bar, reading through their science textbook. She was chomping on some Skeez-itz that she found on the counter.

"Oh, wow, hang on," Piper grumbled, "I got to pause for a sec," she clicked the mute button on her laptop and turned to her older brother, "Henry, please come video chat with Dad,"

Henry looked up at her, "No, we're doing a science project for school,"

"But I'm trying to text Marla and dad keeps talking about his dumb hotel," Piper pleaded.

"Sorry," Henry shook his head.

Maebel chuckled at him. Piper clicked the mute button on her laptop again and allowed her father to ramble on about random things.

"This lotion smells like summer squash," Mr. Hart sniffed a bottle, "And this lotion smells like coconut,"

Piper sighed and shook her head, irritated that she had to listen to the dumb observances. Henry kissed Maebel's temple before standing, pulling her up to listen to Jasper, who was talking to them.

"Okay, now we take the egg and shake it thusly," Jasper began to rapidly shake the egg.

Charlotte, Henry, and Maebel cheered him on, "Yeah, shake that egg! Shake that egg. Shake it, baby, scramble that unborn chicken, woo, yeah!"

Maebel stared in awe as she watched Jasper become anomalously sweaty.

"Man," Charlotte stared in shock, "I've never seen anyone sweat so much,"

"It runs in my family," Jasper panted, "My mom sweats in her sleep,"

"You should probably get that checked out," Maebel mumbled.

Henry's phone chimed, "Okay, times up," 

Charlotte handed Jasper a towel to wipe his face off.

Henry sat back in the bar-stool and read from the book, "Now, it says to turn on the power and then put the egg on the electrometer," he stood again.

Jasper put on goggles, "Okay," he clicked the machine on and placed the egg where it was supposed to go.

"Now what?" Maebel asked inching closer, intrigued by the device.

"See?" Jasper leaned down to the egg, "The egg is already starting to smell kind of-"

A loud popping noise sounded and the egg exploded, sending the insides all over Jasper and Maebel. Charlotte and Henry began snickering at the two. Maebel flicked the yolk from her eyes to the ground with her hand and groaned.

"Was it supposed to do that?" Charlotte giggled.

"No, it was not supposed to do that!" Jasper snapped.

Charlotte and Henry laughed again. The door opened to a frustrated Mrs. Hart.

"I'm alright! It's okay, I'm fine. Nobody freak out," Mrs. Hart rambled.

Everyone shrugged and went back to what they were doing. Henry grabbed a towel and began wiping the egg away from Maebel's face. Mr. Hart spoke over the computer, but it was inaudible to Maebel with egg white's in her ears.

"You guys," Mrs. Hart began walking to the kitchen, "I was attacked!"

Maebel pushed her boyfriend's hand away, "What?"

"Did she say attacked?" Mr. Hart asked his daughter.

"What happened?" Charlotte panicked.

"Are you okay?" Jasper asked.

"Yeah, yeah. I wasn't hurt or anything, but, I was walking to my car and a man jumped out from a bush and he snatched my purse,"

There were concerned looks shared among the group.

"Did you call the cops?" Henry asked.

"Yes, I gave them a description of the guy, I filed a report," she moved further into the kitchen, stopping to look between Jasper and Maebel, "Why is Jasper so sweaty and why does Maebel have egg all over her?"

Jasper gestured toward the electrometer, "I shook an egg," 

"The egg exploded," Maebel sighed.

"Oh," Mrs. Hart shook them off.

"Well, I'm sorry you lost your purse," Charlotte sympathized.

"Me too," Mrs. Hart grabbed an orange, "I lost my phone, and my wallet, oh, and my Yotally Togurt punch card!"

There were groans of anger released from the kids.

"Yeah, I know, and I was just one punch away from a free medium yogurt," she whined.

Another string of groans. Maebel continued to clean herself off with a rag, groaning when getting a bit of yolk in her mouth.

"Hey guys," Maebel greeted Ray and Gooch as her and Henry walked into Junk-N-Stuff.

"Hello, you two," Gooch glanced back at them.

"Whoa, I didn't think you were working today," Ray held his hand up to Henry's chest stopping him.

"I'm not, but I got to go downstairs and check the crime computer, there's been a purse snatching," Henry explained.

Ray shrugged, "Oh, just file a police report,"

"Who got her purse snatched?" Gooch asked.

"Henry's mom," Maebel replied, starting to the back room.

"His mom?" Ray yanked her back, "Wait, what happened? Is she okay? Was she hurt? What happened? Is she okay?"

"Why are you so interested in his mom?" Gooch questioned, giving Ray a weird look.

"Have you seen his mom?" Ray balked.

Maebel gave him a disgusted look, "Ray-"

"We got to help her," Ray cut off his daughter.

"Ray, I'm sure Henry's father is taking good care of her," Gooch reasoned.

"Nah, my dad's out of town," Henry informed.

Ray yanked his sidekick close to him, "He's out of town?"

"Yeah, but I can handle things,"

"No you can't," Ray shoved him off and reached into his pocket.

"Why can't I?"

"You're but a boy," he popped a gumball into his mouth.

"Maybe, but I'm almost fourteen-years-old, and I've been your guy's sidekick long enough that I can- he's just leaving while I'm talking," Henry shrugged.

Maebel groaned and pulled out her gum tube as well.

"What are you doing?" Gooch asked her.

She transformed into her superhero persona, "Making sure Ray doesn't try anything with Henry's mom," she followed Ray out the door.

"This chair vibrates," Gooch wiggled.

Henry furrowed his eyebrows, "Okay..."

Danger Girl rolled her eyes as she listened to Captain Man comfort Henry's mother.

"And when this bad man snatched your purse," Captain Man patted her hands, "Did he say any words?"

Piper circled the couch taking pictures of Captain Man and Danger Girl.

"Yes, he said, 'give me that purse, woman," Mrs. Hart imitated a male voice.

Ray typed on his pear pad, "Give me that purse, woman," he repeated.

"Captain Man, over here," Piper said, holding up her phone to take another picture of the superhero.

Ray posed.

"Great, now look surprised," Piper directed.

Ray posed again. Maebel furrowed her eyebrows.

"Cool. Now, duck face,"

Ray did as he was told, sucking the attention up.

"Piper, will you stop?" Mrs. Hart asked her daughter.

The door opened and Maebel whipped around to see Henry standing there with a weary look on his face.

"Oh, Henry," Mrs. Hart stood, pulling Ray up with her, "Look who heard about my purse and came to help,"

Henry shut the door, "Wow, Captain Man and Danger Girl, in our house... again," he said with fake enthusiasm.

"My son, Henry," Mrs. Hart gestured to the boy.

Captain Man turned to him, "Ah, yes, I remember,"

Henry shrugged, "So, why are you here?"

Captain Man wrapped an arm around the woman, "To protect your mother,"

Maebel rolled her eyes.

"And me," Piper chimed.

"Yeah, sure," Ray shrugged.

"Protect her from what?" Henry shook his head.

"Well, whoever snatched her purse also has everything that was inside that purse," Captain Man stepped closer to the boy.

"I told him about the yogurt coupon," Mrs. Hart said.

"Right, and the criminal also has your mom's driver's license and that means he has this address,"

"And my keys,"

"So?" Henry shrugged.

"Captain Man says he might come here to the house and break in," Henry's mother explained.

"That's very true," Ray nodded and wrapped an arm around her shoulder again, "Can I make you some hot cocoa?"

Henry tugged the man away from his mom, "Look, we appreciate your help, but if the guy who took her purse does come here, I can handle him,"

"Really? What if he does this?" Ray shoved Henry to the ground and sat on his head.

"Captain Man! What are you doing?" Danger Girl groaned.

"I'm pretending to be the bad guy who has just broken into this house and is now sitting on this boy's head," Ray said smugly.

Henry struggled to get up.

Piper kneeled, "Come on, Henry, show us how you'd protect us now," she began to click pictures of her brother.

"Please, get off my head," Henry was annoyed.

"No, I will not get off your head," Captain Man turned back to the group of girls, "That's what a bad guy might say in this situation,"

"I don't think this would ever really happen," Henry groaned.

"Oh, yes it would," Ray nodded, "As a superhero, I see this kind of thing happen every day,"

Danger Girl sighed, "How come I don't see it?"

"You're never around,"

"I go with you on every mission,"

"No you don't,"

"What? Yes I do,"

"Nu-uh,"

"No one's going to sit on his head,"

"I'm sitting on his head,"

"Well, I wish you'd stop," Henry gritted.

Ray stood with a grunt. Henry pushed himself off the ground.

"Ha, your hair's all smushed," Piper chuckled and took another picture of him.

"Mrs. Hart, when does your husband return from Baltimore?" Captain Man asked, shoving his daughter out of the way.

Maebel stumbled and glanced back, growling at the man. She glanced to Henry, who shared the same irritated expression.

"Not until Monday," Mrs. Hart informed.

Ray hummed and moved into the kitchen, "Alright, I'll do it,"

Maebel furrowed her eyebrows.

"Do what?" Henry asked.

"Stay here until your daddy comes home," Ray smirked.

Henry's face fell.

"No way," Piper beamed.

"Wow, thanks," Mrs. Hart smiled.

"Can Kid Danger come stay with us, too?" Piper asked.

"No," Henry panicked, "I mean, no. I mean, I don't think so. Can he? He probably can't,"

Piper and Mrs. Hart gave Henry a confused look.

"No, no, no," Ray shook his head.

"Why not?" Piper asked.

"Because, Kid Danger is staring in a musical," 

"Really?"

"A play?"

"A musical play,"

"Are you sure?" Henry asked, "Because I've never heard about Kid Danger being in musicals,"

"Oh, yeah," Ray nodded, "He's playing Annie," Ray stepped forward, "Oh, how Kid Danger loves to sing songs and dance about,"

"Aw, that's adorable," Mrs. Hart cooed.

"Yeah,"

"Well, what about Danger Girl? Can she stay?" Piper turned to the superhero.

"Uh,"

Ray chuckled, "Of course she can!"

Maebel shot daggers into his chest. 

Piper squealed and jumped up and down at the news, "She can sleep in my room!"

"I'd rather not," Maebel groaned as Piper wrapped her into a tight embrace.

"Come with me!" Piper yanked her away from the group and up the stairs.

***

The next morning, Henry and Maebel bounded down the stairs and into the kitchen where Ray, dressed as Captain Man, had grocery bags on the table.

"Ah, Henry," Ray smiled, "I was worried you were going to sleep the whole day away,"

"I just like to sleep late on Saturdays,"

Henry and Maebel walked into the kitchen.

"What's all this junk?" Maebel gestured to the stuff.

"I went to the Home Shack and got some stuff,"

"Why?" Henry asked.

"Because your dad's out of town and so I figured I'd take care of some things around the house," 

Maebel busted out laughing, nearly falling over.

"What's so funny?" Ray's face fell.

"It's just that, you're not a handy person," Maebel sighed happily, wiping her cheek.

"Yes, I am,"

"No, Ray, you're not,"

Ray shrugged her off, "Look, new toilet seats for the whole family," he held up a baby pink toilet seat and started to open and close it, speaking in a high voice, "Hi, Henry. Pretty soon you can sit on me,"

Henry shrugged, "You know, you're a grown man,"

"Yeah, well..."

Henry stood, "Anyway, I thought you were just here to protect us in case the purse thief shows up and tries to sit on my head," he chuckled and moved to his fridge.

Ray moved to the bar, picking up some mail, "Henry, isn't there something else that we should be talking about?"

Maebel raised her eyebrows and jumped up onto the center island.

"Like?" Henry shut the fridge and moved next to her.

"Like this report card that came in the mail today?" Ray held up a slip of paper.

"Ah, geez," Maebel shook her head.

"I noticed you got a C-plus in social studies,"

Maebel frowned.

"You know, you're not being very cool right now," Henry stepped closer to his boss.

"You know what is very cool?" Ray sat on the bar-stool.

"What?"

"Getting good grades,"

Henry nodded, "Yeah, great. Thanks for the talk, it really turned me around. Maebel, let's go, bye,"

Maebel jumped off of the counter but froze upon hearing Ray's protests.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa. Where you going?" Ray set the paper down on the counter.

"To see a movie with Maebel, Jasper, and Charlotte,"

"What movie? It better be rated G,"

"Dude," Henry groaned.

"I mean it. No bad words, no mild violence, and especially no brief nudity," Ray counted on his fingers.

"Oh my God," Maebel hid her face in her hands.

The door swung open to reveal a gobsmacked Jasper and a frustrated Charlotte.

"Don't bother him," Charlotte warned.

Jasper gasped, "Captain Man!"

Charlotte and Ray groaned.

Jasper rushed over to him, "I can't believe you're really here!"

"Why'd you tell Jasper he's at my house?" Henry asked Charlotte.

"I didn't. Piper's been posting pic's of him and Danger Girl all over the web," Charlotte sighed.

"Speaking of Danger Girl, where is she? Nevermind! Maybe after you're done protecting Henry's mom, you can come over to my house," Jasper rambled.

"Uh, sure, just text me your address," Ray said hesitantly.

"Okay," Jasper pulled out his phone, "What's your phone number?"

"Oh it's..." Captain Man slowly moved to the living room, "Five, nine, four, triangle, slash, blue,"

"Got it, wait,"

Henry's mom came bouncing down the stairs with a smile on her face, "Hey, you guys, what are we all doing for lunch?"

"I got plans," Henry said.

"I thought maybe we could go out for lunch," Captain Man suggested.

"Oh, that sounds fun," 

"Doesn't it?"

"Uh, we're going to be late for the movie," Charlotte informed.

Maebel moved next to Henry.

"Yeah, let's go," Henry started to the door, but he was once again stopped by Ray.

"Hold on there, plaid shirt,"

"What?" Henry shrugged.

"Don't you have a social studies test on Monday?" Ray furrowed his brows.

"No,"

"Yeah, we do," Jasper corrected.

"Jasper," Maebel groaned, turning to look at him.

Ray crossed his arms and stepped back next to Mrs. Hart, "I think your mother and I feel it would be best if you stayed home and studied,"

"What? Mom,"

"I don't think we should argue with a superhero," Mrs. Hart shrugged.

"Come on," Henry whined, "I don't want to study on a Saturday,"

"Yeah, besides, I have an A-plus in social studies, I could help him study tomorrow," Maebel suggested.

Ray shook his head, "You would only distract him,"

Maebel shrugged, "How?"

"I've seen the way he looks at you,"

Henry scrunched his face in confusion, "How do I look at her?"

"You've been staring in not-so-namely places, young man,"

Henry balked and glanced at Maebel, "No I haven't. I wouldn't," he turned to the girl, "I swear I haven't. That's not polite to do that to a lady,"

Maebel raised her eyebrows. Did Henry consider her a lady? Cause she was in no way shape or form. She had matured faster than most girls her age but, she really didn't consider herself as a woman per-say. She still titled herself as a young thirteen-year-old girl who aged faster than the rest of her peers.

"Am I going to have to sit on somebody's head again?" Ray stepped toward him.

"Hey, you're not the boss of me, okay?" Henry retorted.

"Well..." Ray, Charlotte, and Maebel trailed in unison.

"Whatever," Henry shook him off, "You're not my dad and you're not allowed to sit on my head,"

Ray shoved him to the ground again and sat on his head. Henry struggled to get up.

"Okay, I'll stay home and study," Henry groaned.

"Without your girlfriend?" Ray added.

"Yes," Henry grunted.

"You promise?"

"Yes, now, please get your butt out of my ear," He barked.

Maebel shook her head and laughed.

It was nearly midnight, and Maebel got tired of listening to Piper's snores. She shifted the armor on her catsuit again and again, trying to get comfortable. Tired of being uncomfortable, she sneaked out of the pink sleeping bag on the floor and tip-toed out of the room, following the hallway to Henry's, where she opened the door and quickly shut it.

"What are you doing?" She heard.

She yelped and jumped back, turning and focusing her eyes on the dark outline of Henry laying in his bed.

She sighed and moved closer to him, "Piper was snoring, so I came for your couch,"

He chuckled and sat up, turning on the lamp next to him. The room dimly lit.

"Why don't you change out of your uniform and I'll wake you up early so you can change back?"

She nodded and put a gumball in her mouth. She blew, popped, and changed into a normal teenage girl again.

She sighed, "Is it okay if I crash in here?"

He hummed. She started toward the loft before being stopped by his voice.

"Come here,"

Maebel turned to see Henry staring her down. She sighed and walked over, popping her neck. Henry patted to the spot next to him and scooted over. Maebel sat on the bed and leaned back against the headboard.

"You looked upset earlier when Ray mentioned my report card," Henry stared at her.

She looked away from his gaze, "Don't worry about it,"

Henry grumbled and interlocked his fingers with hers, "I am going to worry about it. Why were you irritated?"

Maebel stared down at their hands, "It's stupid,"

"I doubt it,"

Maebel hesitated, "Okay, so Ray was worried about your grade, right?"

Henry hummed in response.

"He's never worried about mine,"

Henry chuckled, "Lucky,"

Maebel sighed and looked up at him, "No. When Ray was talking to you he seemed in authority,"

"In authority?"

"Yeah, like he really cared about that C-plus. But every time I get my report card, he doesn't bother to look at it,"

"Maybe it's because your smart and he knows you make good grades," 

"Good grades or not, I want him to at least pretend he cares," she hugged herself and pulled her knees up to her chest. Tears pricked onto the surface.

Henry studied her for a second. Noting how she chewed on her lip when she was lost in thought, and how she softly rocked back-n-forth, or how she fiddled with her hands. His hand found a way to her back and rubbed in circles softly. A long pause of silence before she let out a choked sob.

"Does Ray even care about me?" She turned to Henry.

Her face was red, her eyes were slightly puffy, her nostrils were flared, and her throat was dry. Henry's face filled with pity as he pulled her into his lap and laid her head on his chest. Maebel's arms scrunched underneath her as she sniffled.

"Yes, Ray, cares about you," Henry continued to rub her back.

"How can you be so sure?" Her cries were muffled into his shirt.

Henry thought for a second, "The day before I asked you on that date, when I asked Ray for permission, he said, 'I hate seeing her like that, so don't hurt her again or else, I don't know how crazy I'll go. She's the only thing I really have in my life, and I don't want that being screwed up,"

Maebel looked up, "Really?"

Henry nodded and wiped away a tear with his thumb, "I think he's just excited having a lot of people to look out for,"

Maebel nodded as well and leaned back onto his chest. She felt him plant a soft kiss on the top of her head. She looked up at him with a small smile, leaning in as he did, and kissing each other slowly and passionately.

***

After showering the next morning, Maebel transformed back into her Danger Girl uniform, hiding her normal identity from the Hart family. She walked downstairs and into the kitchen seeing Mrs. Hart, Captain Man, and Henry. The delicious smell of pancake batter wafted through the air. She stared at Captain Man with a jealous look.

"What is it?" Ray shrugged.

"Nothing," Maebel leaned against the counter.

Ray turned back to the food. Henry gave her an apologetic look, which Maebel shook her head and looked away.

Ray blinked and turned to Henry, "So, you were saying?"

Maebel rolled her eyes.

"You want some orange juice?" Mrs. Hart held up the carton.

Maebel shrugged and plopped into the chair next to her, pouring herself a glass.

"So, Captain Man," Henry turned to him, "What have you been doing to catch him?"

Mrs. Hart looked over to the two.

"I have a lot of good ideas," Captain Man smiled nervously.

"Like what?"

"What?"

Henry had a smug look on his face, "What ideas do you have to catch the purse snatcher?"

"Well, for starters, you know, I have a sidekick, Kid Danger?" 

"Oh, yeah, I've heard of him,"

"Well, since I'm Kid Danger's boss, maybe, I'll make him put on a pretty dress and carry a purse through the most dangerous part of town late at night and maybe the snatcher will take the bait and attack him,"

Henry looked horrified, "I-I don't think that's a very good idea,"

"Okay, so you want to keep talking about this or you want to sit down and enjoy some mancakes?"

"Mancakes, please," Henry walked over to the table and sat next to Maebel.

Maebel gave him a sympathetic look, which he returned.

"Hey," Mrs. Hart chimed in, "I heard on the radio they're doing family portraits at the mall today for half off,"

Ray came over with a plate of mancakes, "Ooh, maybe we should go get some family photos,"

"I think that's a mantastic idea," Mrs. Hart and Ray chuckled, "Piper, put on something cute! We're going to take some family photos," she yelled up the stairs.

"Okay!" Piper yelled back.

"Hey, dad's in Baltimore," Henry said.

"I know, but Captain Man can fill in for your dad," Mrs. Hart suggested.

Ray pretended to look shocked, "Oh, no. No, no, no, okay," he patted Henry's shoulder.

Maebel scoffed, "We've never taken family photos," she mumbled.

"You can join, too," Mrs. Hart smiled at her, "It'll be as if Henry had another sister,"

Maebel choked on her food as Ray stood laughing. Henry stared up at Ray with a gobsmacked look.

Maebel

As the elevator fell, Henry flailed his arms rapidly and screamed. The elevator opened, I walked out, waiting for Henry as he stumbled along.

"Hi, everyone," he grumbled.

I pulled out my gum tube a popped a gumball into my mouth.

"What are you doing?" Charlotte asked.

"Switching into my normal clothes," I blew the bubble and popped it, felling the rush of energy rush through my veins. I sighed upon feeling the loose shirt around my torso, "Thank God. My catsuit has been giving me a massive frontal wedgie since Friday,"

Henry scrunched his face, "I did not need to imagine that,"

Maebel smirked, "You didn't have to imagine it at all,"

"So, what are you wearing?" Charlotte turned to Henry.

"A poncho, and rubber boots," Henry stomped angrily on the ground.

"Why? It was just barely raining?"

"I know that, but Captain 'Dad' still made me wear all this stuff 'so I won't catch a cold," he mocked, "And he made me carry this," he lifted the patterned umbrella up and opened it.

"Hey," Charlotte shook her head, "I might have some good news for you, come here," 

Charlotte motioned for us to follow her to the control center; we did.

"What?" Henry asked.

"I was thinking about your mom's purse, so, I went online, and look what I found for sale," Charlotte clicked on the pad.

The monitor showed a picture of a bright yellow purse.

"Whoa, that's my mom's purse," Henry beamed.

"That's what I thought. Here I'll zoom in," she did as she said.

I squinted my eyes and read the text, "Used Kate Spod purse, recently stolen," I furrowed my eyebrows, "You'd think they wouldn't put that in the ad,"

"Right?" Charlotte shrugged.

"So, what's our plan?" Henry asked Charlotte.

"Well-"

A loud sputtering noise erupted from behind us. We turned around to see Gooch messing with his chair.

Charlotte stood and moved to the other side of Henry and I, "We call the phone number on that ad, say we want to buy the purse, and have the guy who's selling it bring it to your house, and then Captain Man can get him,"

"Yeah," Henry nodded, "And then, Captain Man and Danger Girl can move out of my house,"

I balked, "Offended," I glanced back at him.

He shook his head and blushed. Gooch's chair sputtered to a start.

"It started, quick!" Gooch sat in the chair, only to have the engine backfire, "Dang it!" He slapped the side of the chair, causing the exhaust pipe to fall off and onto the floor.

I threw open the door to the Hart household and ran into the kitchen to grab a water bottle. My throat was abnormally dry.

"Hi, everyone!" Henry said, entering the home.

"It's us!" Charlotte informed.

"Did a guy named Axel show up here yet?" Henry asked.

"Axel?" Piper repeated.

"No one's showed up here yet," Captain Man shrugged.

I moved next to the couch, noticing the braid in Piper's hair, remembering her telling me she wanted to learn how to do the technique.

"Hey, Piper, who did your hair?" I asked.

She smiled, "Captain Man did it for me!"

Captain Man looked down at her and chuckled.

"Oh," I nodded.

I stepped back into the kitchen and sat on the bar-stool, zoning out into my thoughts. Ray never wanted to braid my hair, so why did he want to braid Piper's? Was Piper a better daughter than me? Was it because we didn't have that close of a relationship? Was I too distanced? Thoughts swarmed my mind like ants to sugar. My leg involuntarily began to bounce up in down, and I grew anxious.

It wasn't like me to over think mine and Ray's relationship because I know that when it comes to family, we only have each other. But ever since Henry was hired as our sidekick, everything changed. I wasn't spending all day at the Man Cave, by his side. I had friends that wanted me to come over, and I also got a boyfriend that I see. What was up with me?

Since Henry came along, my entire life has changed. It was no longer just Ray and I. It was now Ray, me, Henry, Henry's family, Jasper, and Charlotte. I've gotten out of the Man Cave for more than an hour at a time. I've been a lot happier, and I've seen some amazing things. But is it worth it if Ray and I fall far from the line? I jerked out of my thoughts upon hearing Henry groan.

"Okay, that's it," Henry stepped closer to Captain Man, "Captain Man, I don't mean to be disrespectful, but I think you just want to stay here and pretend to be the dad of our family, even though you already have a daughter to take care of,"

I looked down at my water bottle, avoiding Charlotte's gaze.

"Henry, be nice," Mrs. Hart warned.

"No, no. Ma'am, your boy's right," Ray paused and glanced back at me, "I love being a superhero, having all these cool devices, wearing this snug suit that makes me look awesome, but, sometimes I get lonely,"

I furrowed my eyebrows.

"Sure, I have Danger Girl by my side, I wouldn't change that for the world, but over these past few days," he leaned on the mantle, "I guess I got carried away with how nice it feels to be part of a bigger family,"

I moved next to Mrs. Hart.

Charlotte ran and peaked out the door, "Aw man, the dude ran away,"

Who came?

"Well, go get him," Captain Man scoffed.

"Me?"

"Hurry,"

Everyone began to talk over each other, telling Charlotte to just do it.

Ray placed a hand on Henry's shoulder, "Henry..." he shoved him out of the way. He repeated then process with Piper, "Piper..." and shoved her out of the way, finally coming face-to-face with Mrs. Hart, "Mom... I really enjoyed these last few days of being a family man, thank you for that,"

I sighed.

Mrs. Hart chuckled, "Well, maybe one day you'll find a nice girl, get married, and have your own family,"

Ray looked up at me and I smiled.

"Nah," he said.

My face fell. The door opened and Mr. Hart walked in dragging a suitcase.

"Hey," he looked out the door, "Did I just see Charlotte tackling a grown man out in the street?"

"Dad!" Henry beamed.

"Honey, you're home,"

"Yay," Piper groaned.

Mr. Hart shrugged and looked at his wife, "I thought you were going to pick me up from the airport. What's Captain Man doing here?"

"We ran into a little problem when you were out of town," Mrs. Hart explained.

"Captain Man wore your robe," Piper informed.

"My robe?" Henry's dad chuckled, turning toward the mantle, "Why would he- uh, when was that taken?"

The door opened again and Charlotte stumbled in panting, and dragging in a guy with her. She had Mrs. Hart's purse draped over her shoulder.

"Well, I caught him," Charlotte snarled.

The room was silent.

"You're welcome," she groaned.

Charlotte, Henry, Ray, and I sat near the tubes and watched as Gooch excitedly fix his new vibrating chair.

"Okay," Gooch looked back at us, "I think I fixed it,"

"Charlotte, go sit in the chair," Ray groaned.

"No,"

"Henry, go sit in the chair,"

"No," 

"Maebel, go sit in the chair,"

"Alright," I stood and walked over to the strange thing and sat down.

"Okay, get ready to relax and enjoy the ultimate massage," Gooch said.

The engine turned on and the chair underneath me started to rumble. Suddenly, the legs came out from underneath me and I sat still, on the chair cushion.

I clicked my tongue, "This is nice,"

I looked up and I smiled at him. He shook his head and rolled his eyes at me, causing me to laugh.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

36K 723 50
- "๐™Ž๐™๐™ž๐™ฉ.." - "๐™ƒ๐™š๐™ฃ๐™ง๐™ฎ ๐™™๐™ค๐™š๐™จ๐™ฃ'๐™ฉ ๐™๐™–๐™ซ๐™š ๐™ฉ๐™ค ๐™ ๐™ฃ๐™ค๐™ฌ." - "๐™„ ๐™™๐™ค๐™ฃ'๐™ฉ ๐™๐™–๐™ซ๐™š ๐™ฉ๐™ค ๐™ ๐™ฃ๐™ค๐™ฌ ๐™ฌ๐™๐™–๐™ฉ?" Audrianna Manchester lives a...
1.9K 32 8
When Henry was hired he met Captain Man's daughter, Aurora Luna Manchester. She was around eight at the time. Five years later, she's with four other...
44.8K 783 14
Audrey Manchester never expected her life to have adventures everyday. One day it could be fighting crime or the next it could be obsessing over her...
43K 573 31
Mikayla always suspected that she was different from her peers, but when she discoverers the big family secret, she needs to truly understand how muc...