The Wedding Investigation

By inlovewsleep

Nandini Murthy, a wedding planner, is on the verge of getting her career's biggest break by planning her best... More

A Wedding Investigation
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight

Chapter Six

573 83 75
By inlovewsleep

CHAPTER SIX | A MULTIFACETED RING

'Loyalty isn't grey. It's either black or white. You're either loyal completely or not loyal at all.'

⁎⁎⁎

"Ah, that's a loss of an earring but it's okay. That jerk is a bigger problem." A voice piped in.

Nandini turned around to see Mrs. Saxena standing at her bedroom door. She hadn't told Alya's mother about the challenge or Manik's plan. How did she get to know?

"Your door was open so I came in. Anyway, I understand Harsh was a jerk for backing out at the last minute but holding your head high and walking like a true lady is very important, Nandini. Don't break those earrings for a silly old man." Mrs. Saxena continued as she walked inside the room.

Nandini stood up from the bed and heaved a sigh of relief.

Ayyappa! She isn't aware of the challenge. Thank you, thank you, thank you! She mentally thanked her God and smiled at Mrs. Saxena who raised her politely curved eyebrow in response.

Nandini cleared her throat and nodded. "Uh... right. Harsh Jain. Yes, auntie. He is getting a divorce. A wedding will be hard on him," she uttered.

Mrs. Zara Saxena sighed. "I heard. What baffles me is his wife! He worked for Alya's father for ten long years and I never saw his wife or him fighting! Do you have any idea what might have made them take this decision?" She questioned as she crossed her arms around her chest and sat on the yellow bean bag chair.

Damn Manik for spoiling everything she has worked so hard for! This wedding is going to be covered by media and Miss Marie D'Souza is going to interview them. What will they do without a caterer?!

Nandini quickly shook her head, afraid she might blurt out Manik's name and get in trouble for interacting with him.

Mrs. Saxena sighed again and grabbed the invitation card sample from the side table, flipping through the pages. "This is going to be difficult. I promised Ashish I will plan a grand wedding for our darling daughter but so far, he is going to be so disappointed in me." She blinked her eyes repeatedly, trying to hide the unshed tears.

Anyone could see how much she missed her late husband. He had died fighting a tough battle with cystic fibrosis. The man was always laughing and despite belonging to one of the wealthiest families of the city, he had worked his way to the top. If Mrs. Saxena was Nandini's role-model, her husband was the inspiration.

Nandini looked at the ground, remembering how lovely the man was. He had guided her on managing her finances and had always answered her questions like a father would. Even though she knew him for a very short duration of time, she knew he was a gem of a man. Her thoughts broke when Mrs. Saxena spoke again.

"How did your meeting with the new caterer go?"

Nandini's eyes widened and she jumped on the spot. "New caterer? Oh shoot!" She stared at the light green shag carpet of her room, wishing the ground would open up and swallow her.

Ugh! Malhotra! She cursed despite knowing this was her fault and the man in question had no role to play.

"You forgot?" Mrs. Saxena's volume rose. "What else could go wrong in this wedding! They won't have a rescheduling. They take these things very seriously no matter the amount of money we pay."

"I am sorry aunty, I was meeting Manik and then I forgot—" Nandini bit her lips, slapping herself mentally for blurting out his name.

Mrs. Saxena was quick to turn her head and question, her tone stern. "May I ask why you were meeting Manik ? I thought I told you to keep him away from the wedding and Alya."

Nandini nervously shook her head. "I know auntie. I am trying my best but—"

"Trying doesn't run a business, Nandini. You either do your best or don't do it at all," Mrs. Saxena remarked sharply.

Nandini gulped and nodded slowly. Mrs. Saxena sighed and sat back, crossing her legs. She knew how convincing and sharp that boy could be. He was charming and knew how to get his way with people. And who could know him better but Mrs. Saxena? She had spent a fortune on him back in the day, when she was as gullible as her late husband and daughter.

Taking a deep breath, she repeated her instructions from the party. "Keep that man away from Alya and make sure he doesn't show up at another wedding function. And for God's sake, maintain your own distance too! He is pure trouble."

Nandini nodded, she already knew that man was no good. And she really didn't need another problem in her life! "I understand, aunty. I am sorry."

"It's alright. Be careful now and don't mention a word about this to Alya. She is very sensitive, my girl. Is that clear?"

Nandini nodded, and promised her that there will be no more hurdles in the wedding. It was important and she could not afford to lose focus.

Alas! She didn't know what a man in red hoodie and black shades was planning.

Mrs. Saxena eyed her for a minute and then stood up to leave. "Good. I don't wish to see you mismanaging things again. Now, go and collect Alya's lehenga from the boutique, I received a call about that earlier. Take Rose with you, that girl needs to be put to work."

⁎⁎⁎

"I think I just spotted my mother's friend there, I will be back in a minute," Rose excused herself and went off in the direction she had pointed at.

Nandini shook her head and switched on her phone. It was typical of Rose to find someone she knew everywhere! Unfortunately, Nandini had no choice but to wait for her, at least until the salesgirl came back with the bridal lehenga.

She rolled her eyes when she saw there were two missed calls from a familiar number. Ignoring the red dots, she was about to keep the phone back in her bag when it rang. She sighed but kept it to her ear before muttering.

"I am busy." She kept it short, hoping he would get the hint and stop calling.

"Yeah, picking up a wedding dress is a difficult job. I really hope Alya gets to wear it. Don't you?" Manik snickered. The sarcasm didn't go unnoticed by Nandini as she curled her lips and sighed.

"Don't you have anything better to do, Manik? Stalking me won't get you anywhere." She explained calmly. Mrs. Saxena's words had helped her clear her thoughts.

"Well, I get paid for this, you know? Though, I prefer calling it a part of investigation." He answered.

Nandini exhaled. "I don't care. You can do your so-called investigation without involving me." She said air quoting the word investigation even though she knew Manik couldn't see her.

Or at least she hoped he couldn't.

"Giving up so soon, Nandu? What happened to the game on?" He tried a pathetic imitation of her voice from the engagement party and chuckled. Nandini fisted the material of the fabric placed near her and inhaled loudly. The man was getting on her nerves, despite her sedulous attempts at ignoring him.

"As I told you yesterday, I have a wedding to plan and I know Dhruv is a fine guy. If you conduct your investigation properly, you will see for yourself. I will plan the best wedding ever and that will be my win, irrespective of your stupid game." She noticed that the salesgirl was back and indicated her to open the packing to see if the lehenga was alright.

"Hah! You're smart, Miss Macaron. Trust me, you will make a great PI side-kick. Do think about my offer!"

"It's Nandini. And as I said, I am too busy for this. Bye, Malhotra." She rolled here eyes and without giving him a chance to respond, disconnected the call.

Manik chuckled at her brusque remark. He had to agree, he enjoyed bickering with her like this even when she was a clear hinderance to his work. He continued sipping his cola sitting in the burger joint whose beautiful arched windows just happened to give him a clear look at the fashion boutique, and of a fierce wedding planner who was busy collecting a lehenga.

Nandini was checking for any loose thread or defect in the lehenga when Rose came back. "It was someone else. By the way, were you speaking to Manik right now? As in Manik Malhotra?"

Nandini rolled her eyes, again, and nodded. "Unfortunately."

Rose slapped her shoulders. "Oh, don't be silly. Speaking to that hot piece is a luxury and if only he wasn't short-tempered in college, I would've gotten him before Alya."

Nandini exhaled in frustration and bit her tongue to avoid giving Rose a topic for gossip. Manik Malhotra wasn't worth ranting about, at least not in her opinion. She blinked her eyes and turned to face Rose. "I'm going to pick up Alya's bridal jewellery samples, wanna join?

"Oh no, I've a date! Besides, this kind of job suits you more, darling," Rose answered.

Nandini shook her head. She hadn't expected Rose to accompany her but she shouldn't have even asked. That girl didn't have an inch of manners in her.

She picked the bag, signed the receipt and left the boutique.

While she was sitting and waiting for someone to come assist her in the fashion-forward store, her eyes fell on a dark haired man wearing a shiny golden watch that she had helped Mrs. Saxena choose. Nandini smiled and stood up to greet her best friend's fiancé but Dhruv hadn't noticed her.

He wasn't alone. A black haired man wearing a green jacket sat beside him in the rings section.

Nandini cooed and thought. Is he buying a gift for Alya? She's going to be so thrilled!

She wondered if she should eavesdrop or let the surprise stay. Unable to keep her curiosity in check, she took two steps to her right and seated herself on the opposite counter, right behind the two men.

Dhruv picked up a ring and admired it for a full minute. Nandini could see the shimmering diamond from where she stood behind the two men and a gleeful smile spread on her face, her best friend was going to be so happy.

"Alya doesn't like such large diamonds, do you think your sister will like this?" He asked, extending the multifaceted ring to the man beside him.

The man patted Dhruv on the back. "Of course! Dude, your fiancée is dumb. Don't compare my sister to her!"

Dhruv nodded and gave another long look at the ring before smiling and asking the assistant to get it polished. "Alya is picky, yes. Likes to control things and do them her way."

"I know man. I know."

Nandini frowned.

It's alright if he was buying a gift for someone else but what's with the judgements.

⁎⁎⁎

Ah, what do you think about Dhruv? Is he genuinely a nice guy?
Don't forget to vote and comment if you're enjoying this story, it would motivate me to keep going! <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

144K 6.7K 54
Highest Rankings :- #1 on friendship out of 292k #4 on emotions out of 48k #1 on bestfriendsforever out of 513 #1 on bff out of 9k #8 on darkness...
1.1M 108K 65
****Can be read as a general fiction. If you want an arrange marriage tale with humor, emotions and love, hop in right away**** Love is supposed to b...
93K 9.2K 57
#6 in Lifestory out of ~10K stories (June, 2021) When THE Nandini Murthy met Manik F*CKBOI Malhotra, during her undergrad days in New York, it was th...
221K 13.9K 47
What's meant to be will be. Manik Malhotra. Nandini Murthy. Meant to be together? Maybe? Or with someone else? A story that revolves around everyday...