His Majesty, Her Grace - Sequ...

By 1StarLightWriter1

After Caspian is crowned King of Narnia, his new duties leave little time for Althea as he must travel and ev... More

Author's Note
Prologue
Chapter 1 - Yearning
Chapter 2 - Together
Chapter 3 - The Dawn Treader
Chapter 4 - The High King and Queen
Chapter 5 - Just a Subject
Chapter 6 - The Lone Islands
Chapter 7 - Heiress
Chapter 8 - Liberation
Chapter 9 - 4.2 Degrees
Chapter 10 - Bug Collector
Chapter 11 - Dufflepuds
Chapter 12 - The Oppressor
Chapter 13 - Either Way
Chapter 14 - The Storm
Chapter 16 - Nightmares
Chapter 17 - Mutiny
Chapter 18 - Enchanted
Chapter 19 - Close Call
Chapter 20 - Queen
Chapter 21 - Ramandu's Island
Chapter 22 - Dark Island Pt. 1
Chapter 23 - Dark Island Pt. 2
Chapter 24 - Victory
Chapter 25 - Aslan's Country
Epilogue
Author's Note ⚠️IMPORTANT⚠️

Chapter 15 - Nasty Tricks

2.2K 65 6
By 1StarLightWriter1

Althea's POV

It's been a week already. One miserable week of this never-ending storm that tosses everyone around relentlessly. I'm surprised no one has gotten sick from the constant dipping of the ship, not to mention that everything is wet all the time. We're still actively trying to navigate the storm but without the stars I'm useless.

I'm back in the office sitting next to Caspian, our backs to the rain-covered windows. Edmund and Drinian joined us a few minutes ago to discuss how we should handle the unceasing storm.

"So, we're stuck here." Drinian moves the little ship piece to our theorized position of the map. "At half rations, food and water for two more weeks maximum. This is your last chance to turn back your majesty's." I unintentionally tense up when he says 'majestys' but quickly realize he was referring to Edmund and not me. "There's no guarantee we'll spot the blue star anytime soon. Not in this storm." Caspian glances at me briefly. "Needle in the haystack trying to find this Ramandu place. We could sail right past it and off the edge of the world."

"Or get eaten by a sea serpent," Edmund says.

I'm not sure if he's trying to be funny or serious, but either way, I highly doubt this is the time or place to suggest such a thing.

"I'm just saying the men are getting nervous. These are strange seas we're sailing." Drinian continues, moving towards the door. "The likes of which I've never seen before."

"Then perhaps Captain, you'd like to be the one to explain to Rhinse that we're abandoning the search for his family?" Caspian says, standing and moving towards the map. He rests his hands on the table in a defensive manner.

Drinian looks apologetic and backs down immediately. "I'll get back to it." He pulls on his rain slicker but hesitates before leaving. "Just a word of warning, the sea can play nasty tricks on the crew's mind... Very nasty." And then he's gone.

Caspian stares at the map but doesn't make any motion to come back. I stand and carefully cross the room without falling.

"Are you alright?" I ask. He nods but his face is hardened in thought. I can imagine he's trying to think of every possible solution to our predicament and beating himself up about not having one. I rest my hand on top of his reassuringly.

"As soon as the storm has passed, I'll find the blue star." I bite back the words 'I promise' because I realize that's unrealistic.

"It's not your fault, you can't control the weather," Caspian says.

After brainstorming endless ideas, all of them discussed and concluded to end in failure, we head back out into the storm to help with maintaining the deck's condition. Caspian doesn't worry so much about me helping anymore so he leaves me and Ed to work on repairing a snapped line at the crow's nest.

"Tie this around you!" Ed shouts, handing me a thick piece of rope. "I'm going to climb up and inspect the lines at the top."

Caspian explained to me that sometimes crew members tie each other together so that if one falls overboard, they can be pulled back up. I don't ask questions and do as Edmund says. The rope has several extra feet of slack which worries me slightly. He climbs up the ladder, the sheet of heavy rain making him difficult to see after a few minutes. The coiled-up rope stops moving so I assume Edmund has made it to the top and it's time for me to follow him. The wooden railing is slick and the possibility of going overboard is terrifying but I start the climb anyways. The ship tilts forward and my stomach lurches forcing me to pause before continuing up any higher.

After the ship has leveled again, two hands firmly grab my ankles. My first thought is that someone is trying to get my attention but when I look down, the person's face is covered by their hood and their arms are stretched out still holding onto me. I'm about to shout at him when he suddenly pushes my feet off the ladder. I yelp and lose my footing. My legs dangle over the edge of the ship before the wet ladder slips through my hands too. The railing at the edge connects with my hands and I'm able to react fast enough to grab it. I grunt from the effort and try to pull myself up with soaking wet hands and manage to get my elbows up. The person is still standing there and I naively assume it was an accident so I reach out a hand, hoping they'll pull me to safety. They step closer.

"Than-" My thanks morphs into a sharp scream as the hooded person shoves me off the rest of the way.

My hands claw uselessly at the smooth wood but nothing can stop me except the rope. It pulls tight around my back, the force making me bend unnaturally and almost stealing my breath. A harsh, icy ocean wave washes over me before I can recover, knocking my body against the side of the ship. I'm soaked through my rain slicker in less than a second. The salt burns my eyes and throat as I choke up seawater. I push off my hood and wipe my eyes as the rope swings me back and forth. When I can see again, I reach out to steady myself against the wall of the ship.

The rope isn't moving, all that I'm doing is hanging over the violent sea like fish bait. I don't know what's going on up there but I can't stay here so I resort to pulling myself up by hand. I haven't made much headway when the rope suddenly gives. An approaching wave somewhat cushions my fall but not enough to stop the rope from burning my hands as it slips through my grip. I cry out and instinctively let go, the rope pulls on my waist again, thankfully not as hard as the first time.

"Hang on!" An indistinguishable voice shouts from above.

The rope giving out must have been Edmund climbing back down to get help. I'm slowly pulled back up, doing my best to balance since I can no longer hold the rope with my hands. The deck is just about to come into view when a third wave, larger than all the others plows into the side of the ship, heading straight in my direction. I scream at the top of my lungs, praying that someone will hear but the only response is the roar of water in my ears and a mouthful of salty water. I force my aching hands to fight the wave and grab the railing. Someone firmly gets a hold of my wrists and pulls me up the rest of the way.

I gasp for air as my now exhausted body flops onto the deck like a dead fish. I pry my eyes open for only a second to see that it was Caspian who pulled me up the rest of the way. He leans down to my face and is immediately met with a raspy cough. To him its a sign that I'm alive. He unties the rope and scoops his arms under me. I vaguely hear shouts and footsteps as he hurriedly carries me below deck, all the while I'm still choking and trying to breathe. He gently sets me down on the big open space at the bottom of the stairs, but not close enough to where water would spray down if the door opened again.

"Althea?" He asks, his tone thick with worry.

When I open my eyes again, Caspian's face, along with countless members of the crew are staring down at me. My head is cradled in his hands and he's wiping the cold wet hair away from my face. My whole body feels numb from the cold ocean, except for the burning sensation on my hands and the sore feeling in my back.

I try to speak but all that comes out is a painful, raspy cough. He helps me sit up and pats my back, getting the coughing fit out of my system.

"Someone fetch her water," Caspian orders.

"Ai." A voice says and I hear feet shuffling off.

"Sorry, Althea. I had to climb back down since I couldn't lift you and hang on at the same time." Edmund says while kneeling beside me. He sounds more confused than worried, unlike the expressions of everyone else here. "What happened? You were fine one second then you were flailing around the next."

His lack of tactfulness earns him a glare from Caspian but I'm relieved Ed noticed something was amiss. I scan all the faces staring at me. I know for a fact someone tried to push me off, whether they knew I was tied to Edmund or not, I'm unsure, but I know that someone on this ship did it intentionally and that it very well could've killed me. Another surge of exhaustion hits me. I have to rest my head against Caspian's shoulder to keep from passing out.

Edmund clears his throat nervously. "All I mean is that she doesn't seem like the type to just slip off the edge, she knows what she's doing by now." He says to Caspian.

"No, I slipped." I force myself to sit back up, regardless of how lightheaded I feel. Everyone's eyes bore into me. "The thunder scared me and I lost my footing."

Edmund and Caspian look at me skeptically but I continue stringing along my lie. I'll explain what really happened later when no one else is around. The crew seems convinced of my clumsiness. A few scoff quietly and someone mutters something about how women shouldn't be out at sea. Those of them that are simply annoyed at me, leave but a handful of genuinely concerned crewmates stay to make sure I'm alright.

The man returns with a cup of water which I take small sips of, afraid that if I drink too fast I'll expel an unholy amount of water like I did on deck. I'm soaked to the bone. My wet clothes are plastered to my limbs and only make me feel colder than the actual sea felt.

"Ed, go get Lucy," Caspian says. Ed doesn't hesitate and leaves too.

"Everyone else out." He says. They slowly listen, confused why they're being ordered to leave. "Now!" He says louder, and with an authority that I've never heard him use. They're all gone in the blink of an eye this time.

"Caspian, it wasn't-" I lower my voice, afraid someone could be listening. "Someone pushed me."

His eyes widen. "What? Did you see who it was?" He asks quietly.

"I didn't." My voice shakes from a bout of shivers.

He sighs, a mix of relief and disappointment, but not with me, and rests his forehead against mine.

I flex my hands and immediately wince. Rope burns cover my palms and the lower portions of my fingers. Thankfully it's not bleeding, I'll just have to keep them wrapped for a few days, then I should be fine.

"Are you okay?" Caspian asks, holding my hands and inspecting them with squinted eyes.

"They'll be fine in a couple of days," I assure him.

"Are you sure?"

I nod.

Edmund returns with Lucy and a stack of dry clothes for the three of us. Caspian and Ed leave, giving me some privacy as Lucy helps me get out of my wet clothing. I feel even worse after taking them off, my body heat not being enough to warm me. My hair is still damp so Lucy pulls it up which helps a little. Edmund and Caspian return in fresh clothes of their own.

I'm still shivering violently to which Lucy wraps an arm around my shoulder.

"Lucy? Do you mind finding a couple of dry blankets?" Caspian asks.

She nods, shooting me a worried glance and leaving. Edmund follows her.

"I'm sorry-"

"This is not your fault." He says firmly while moving towards me.

A few clean bandages are tightly gripped in his hands but they automatically relax when he retakes a hold of mine. He slowly and carefully wraps the clean cloth around my hands and fingers then softly kisses the center of my palms. Tears swell in my eyes but not from the pain. I almost died, I could feel the ocean stealing my strength faster than anything I've ever experienced. He wraps me in his arms again, his body heat making me shiver from the warmth.

Lucy and Edmund return. She drapes a fur blanket over my shoulders and comfortingly rubs my back.

"You should get some rest." She says quietly.

I nod slowly and head to the sleeping area, my head already feeling foggy. When we reach our hammock, Caspian lifts me up onto it before I can protest to do it myself.

"You two stay inside until the four of us can talk," Caspian says sternly.

"Why?" Edmund asks.

"It's a long story, but just trust me, Ed."

I don't hear any more talking and Caspian climbs up beside me so they must have left. I flip over to see him. He looks racked with guilt and it breaks my heart.

"It's not your fault either Caspian," I whisper.

He pulls me into him and covers us with another blanket.

"I know, but I almost lost you. It could've happened so easily. I should've been there."

I look up at him. His hair is damp and his expression shows how tired and drained he really is.

"But you didn't lose me and you won't. No matter how violent the storm, I'll always fight my way back to you. I promise"

His brown eyes swirl with emotion but I don't get to look at them for very long. He slips his arms around my waist tightly and buries his face in the crook of my neck.

"I love you." He whispers and I barely catch it.

I comb my bandaged fingers through his hair. "I love you too."

~~~

Thank you for reading! I hope you all enjoyed this longer chapter :)
Don't forget to vote, comment suggestions, and follow for future updates and fanfics.
Love all of you guys <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.1K 260 15
Around a year after they have returned from Narnia Edmund falls ill and the doctors believe they cannot save them. A message from Aslan reaches the P...
235K 5.4K 23
All her life, Catarina knew her brother Caspian was destined to take over as the rightful king of Telmar. She also knew that her uncle Miraz was hell...
105K 2.7K 16
after a long year, they finally have the chance. going back to narnia is just what the tattered family needs. except now, there's bigger threats and...
3.4K 97 9
COMPLETED "This is getting old." Logan and the Pevensies are back in Narnia! However, Narnia is a new place, filled with new allies- and new enemies...