A Journey's Link

By Particulan

'A Journey's Link' is a tale about Ash and Goh, as they continue their duties as research fellows at Cerise L... More

Author's Note
Chapter 1 - Battle
Chapter 2 - Adventure
Chapter 3 - Business
Chapter 4 - Pathway
Chapter 5 - Solutions
Chapter 6 - Crystal
Chapter 7- Performing
Chapter 8 - Research
Chapter 9 - Rustboro
Chapter 11 - Mister Stone
Chapter 12 - Determination
Chapter 13 - Central
Chapter 14 - Reunion
Chapter 15 - Control
Chapter 16 - Burden
Chapter 17 - Skipped
Chapter 18 - The Lake
Chapter 19 - Reflections
Chapter 20 - Dreaming
Chapter 21 - Rivaled
Chapter 22 - Resolve
Chapter 23 - Sighting
Chapter 24 - Linkage
Chapter 25 - Truths
Chapter 26 - Celebratory
Chapter 27 - Connections
Chapter 28 - Departure
Chapter 29 - Instinct
Chapter 30 - Planning
Chapter 31 - Lurking
Chapter 32 - Presentation
Chapter 33 - Paired
Chapter 34 - Anistar
Chapter 35 - Searching
Chapter 36 - Opposition
Chapter 37 - Threats
Chapter 38 - Passion
Chapter 39 - Split
Chapter 40 - Past
Chapter 41 - Ignite
Chapter 42 - Whereabouts
Chapter 43 - Secret
Chapter 44 - Hidden
Chapter 45 - Impersonations
Chapter 46 - Potential
Chapter 47 - Mixing
Chapter 48 - Squishy
Chapter 49 - Achievement
Chapter 50 - Key
Chapter 51 - Intentions
Chapter 52 - Sacrifices
Chapter 53 - Village
Chapter 54 - Close
Chapter 55 - Intuition
Chapter 56 - Blasted
Chapter 57 - Attack
Chapter 58 - Master?
Chapter 59 - Freed
Chapter 60 - Revenge
Chapter 61 - Explanations
Chapter 62 - Found
Chapter 63 - Fueled
Chapter 64 - Disagreement
Chapter 65 - Aftermath
Chapter 66 - Reconnection
Chapter 67 - Transformation
Chapter 68 - Home
Chapter 69 - Descent
Chapter 70 - Boundless
Chapter 71 - Finality
Chapter 72 - Energized
Chapter 73 - Life
Chapter 74 - Awakening
Chapter 75 - Confession
Chapter 76 - Forward

Chapter 10 - Preparations

1.6K 35 2
By Particulan

"Fletch-fletch! Fletch-fletch!"

Serena groggily opened her eyes as the alarm that sat on the desk beside her began frantically blaring its signature Fletchling noise. Half-awake, she turned it off and stared at the ceiling, dreading having to leave the comfort of the clean hotel bed.

"Come on, Serena!" May exclaimed, already awake and packing up her stuff. "There's no time to mess around. The contest starts in two hours!" She puffed her face and waved her hands in the air, desperate to wake up her fellow coordinator.

Serena mumbled something; May assumed it was a protesting statement, so she repeated her exclamations in annoyance. Serena reluctantly got up from the bed, unable to deal with her reprimands any longer. She and May put on their clothes and grabbed their belongings for the big contest.

In a few rooms over, Ash and Goh had just woken up and began preparing for their visit to the Devon Corporation to visit Mr. Stone for a package for Cerise Laboratories. "All set," Goh said, zipping up his backpack and settling into his soft hoodie. "Let's get going!"

Ash nodded, putting his bag on and stretching his arm out for Pikachu to run onto his shoulder. They made their way to the lobby and approached Nurse Joy. "How was your stay?" Nurse Joy asked. "It was great, thank you very much!" Goh responded. Ash also chimed in. "The beds were super soft, like a Mareep!" he exclaimed childishly.

Nurse Joy giggled and said, "I'm glad your stay was well and we hope to see you again soon!" Ash and Goh thanked her once again and gave her the room key, waving goodbye as they exited through the sliding doors. As they departed, Serena and May entered the lobby. They both approached Nurse Joy with their room key and thanked her for the night as well.

After a polite exchange, the two coordinators left the Pokemon Centers with their eyes on one location: The Rustboro Contest Hall. They walked past the stone buildings, uninterested by their adobe outside, and saw the building they needed to go to; it was completely contradictory to the rest of the city, as it used marble and beautiful gilded plates all over.

Serena and May's eyes widened upon seeing the hall; their expectations were raised even higher as they entered and were met with a grandiose and luxurious lobby. "Wow," Serena whispered. "Now I see why so many people are signed up here!" "Yeah," May agreed. "Everything is so beautiful and shiny!" Neither of them could believe that this hall was even real, let alone real in the drab city that was Rustboro City.

Serena and May heard a smug voice behind them. "Of course it's beautiful. Only an idiot would be too stupid to see that." Serena and May both turned and looked at the source of the voice, seeing a green-haired boy around their age keenly staring at them.

"Drew?" May said, shocked and appalled. "What are you doing here?" She walked towards the stylish coordinator who put his hand in his pocket. "The same could be asked about you May. I thought you went to Johto like me," he jested with a smirk on his face. "It's obvious you saw how great my idea was and decided to steal it."

May frowned in frustration, surprised that after all this time, Drew still acted the same as when they were rivals in Hoenn. She noticed something that had changed; his outfit. His purple coat that usually sat over his black undershirt had changed into a blue and white jacket. His teal pants had been replaced with black sweatpants, and his dark blue shoes were now fully white.

He flipped his medium-length green hair and smirked again. "Did you finally decide that Johto was too hard for you, May?" May was taken aback and felt offended by this question, but she regained her composure and stared back at Drew, contesting his smugness.

"Nope, I won a ribbon at every contest hall, which is probably something you couldn't do," May responded. Drew's smirk broke as she said this, momentarily showing a hint of surprise. He shook his head and chuckled, knowing that pointless bickering would get them nowhere. Smiling genuinely, he ran his hand through his hair.

"Well, regardless of who won what, it's good to see you May," Drew said nicely. May realized that Drew was being genuine and smiled. "I'm glad to see you, too," she responded. "A familiar face is relieving in a large hall like this." She looked around at the chandeliers hanging from the ceiling.

While this exchange was occurring, Serena quietly stood behind May, completely removed from the conversation. May had forgotten she was there until Serena coughed intentionally, causing May to turn to her and gasp out of embarrassment.

"Oh man, I forgot all about Serena!" May exclaimed, flustered. She turned back to Drew with her arm on Serena's shoulder. "This is Serena," she explained. "She's from the Kalos region and almost became Kalos Queen! And Serena, this is Drew, my old rival from when I participated in Hoenn contests while I was traveling the region with some old friends."

Serena stuck out her hand in a friendly manner, saying, "It's nice to meet you, Drew!" In response, Drew frowned, and instead of shaking Serena's hand, he waved it away with disgust. May knew that Drew could be difficult at times, but what he had just done was extremely rude. Frowning, she asked him, "Why are you being rude? Did she offend you or something?"

Drew scoffed and turned away from the duo. "I have never liked Kalos and its so-called 'Pokemon performances'. They don't require any skill," He explained with disgust laced in his voice. "I'm surprised she's even attempting to participate in Contests," he said, nodding towards Serena in a defaming fashion.

Serena puffed her cheek, insulted by Drew's words and tired of his snobby attitude. "I have as much reason to be here as anybody else!" she argued, her arms flailing. "I'll prove you wrong in this Contest by beating you and everybody else!" She crossed her arms and awaited a response.

Drew angrily stared at her and sighed. "Pointlessly making promises that you can't keep doesn't get you anywhere," he snarkily said. Ignoring Serena's now angrier face, he turned towards May, who was one more remark away from stomping away.

"Make sure Serena doesn't get her feelings hurt when she loses," Drew said. "It would be a shame when my victory is tainted by a miserable loser." Both Serena and May were livid at Drew's statement. Before either of them could get any form of rebuttal out, Drew walked away, having made his mark on the two.

Serena gritted her teeth as she watched Drew walk away. I'll show him who the loser is, she thought. Then he'll see how good Kalos performers can be! She felt May tap on her shoulder, looking worried for her friend who had just gotten badly insulted.

"Are you okay, Serena?" May asked. "That jerk said some harsh things." She looked apologetic for his actions, even though she was clearly against them. Serena boldly nodded. "I'm fine. In fact, I'm more than fine! I'm ready to kick Drew's butt!" May looked at her friend in awe, seeing the determination radiate from Serena's face. "Yeah! Let's both go out there today and show him who's boss!" She responded excitedly.

"Why don't we head to the waiting room," Serena suggested, adjusting the strap on her bag. "Right! Let's have a good performance," May responded, giving Serena a small fistbump as they made their way down a hallway that led to the waiting room. As they entered, they were met with countless other Coordinators, all working hard to achieve the ideal outfit.

Both coordinators smiled at each other as they made their way through the cesspool, eventually reaching two open changing rooms right next to each other. "Good luck," May said to Serena, who nodded and entered her changing room, clutching the bag that held her outfit.

Serena closed the curtain and set the bag down, taking a deep breath. She knew it was going to be hard trying to convince Drew that she was Contest material, but she had to try no matter what. Besides, even if I do lose, who cares? She told herself as she gingerly laid out each piece of her outfit on the bench. I'm not going to let an idiot like him ruin my dream.

She reached into her bag for the final piece, expecting to pull out the ribbon that she had made just for Braixen. Instead, her hand met a warm, glossy surface; she initially pulled her hand back but realized quickly that it was the crystal that she had discovered on the plane.

Grabbing it and setting it down upon the clothing, Serena stared intensely at it. It was now glowing again, but this time it had begun flickering, unable to maintain its shine for any given moment. "That's weird," she whispered to herself, peering at it inquisitively and poking it.

She ultimately shrugged it off, placing it delicately back in her bag. I need to focus on the Contest, she reminded herself strictly. Not worry about some small little gem. She grabbed Braixen's Pokeball and released her into the room. "Alright, Braixen. Are you ready?" She whispered as Braixen looked around and realized where they were.

"Brai!" Braixen was excited and had been practicing with Serena extensively, so it was apparent that she was more than ready. "Great," Serena said with a smile. "Then how about we get this outfit looking fabulous on you?" Braixen smiled as Serena rummaged through the pile of clothing. We aren't going to lose. I'm sure of it!

[----]

Z sat upon his leather chair, staring at the monitor in front of him that displayed an image of Ash's mysterious Z-Crystal. "I'd like you to explain it again for me, Lynx," he muttered to a man in a lab coat beside him. "So that I can fully understand how to proceed." The man, whose name was actually Lukas, was a scientist that had been practically forced to come work at the underground lair for Z.

"You've asked me to analyze the crystals that gave off the energy readings in Olivine City," Lukas explained in an exasperated manner. "I've done that, and all I tell you now is that there is a small possibility that you can manipulate them to your liking." Z grinned, his smile appearing right below his mask.

"And how does one manipulate these crystals?" Z asked, standing up and walking closer to the monitor. "Sir, I believe I could construct a machine that could send out energy waves. They would interact with the crystals and cause them to activate," Lukas explained, sweat forming on his forehead.

Z turned around and noticed Lukas's uncomfortable disposition. "What's the matter? Does something bother you about this?" He asked in a threatening manner. Lukas shuffled his feet awkwardly. "Sir, I believe this could cause too much damage. The capabilities of those Z-Crystals are beyond our understanding," he said cautiously.

"Excellent!" Z suddenly roared, his maniacal nature bleeding into his voice. Lukas took a step back and considered running into the tunnels where he could hopefully escape. "Damage is the ideal outcome! Not only will that boy be exactly where I need him, but I can also cause some collateral damage while I'm at it!" Z yelled, staring greedily at Lukas.

"No time to waste! Get to work on that machine!" Lukas sat there, frozen at Z's display of insanity. "NOW!" The reprimands snapped him back to reality; he licked his lips in fear. "Y-Yes, sir!" Z watched as Lukas exited the room, excitement trembling all over his body. "Absolutely. Damage is the ideal outcome!" He repeated to himself, falling back and allowing his leather chair to catch him.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

77.5K 1.6K 23
The Sequel to "An Amourshipping Story" Disclaimer: I do not own any of these characters in this story or Pokèmon ‒~‒~‒~‒~‒~‒~‒~‒~‒~‒~‒~‒~‒~‒~‒...
124K 2.6K 61
*COMPLETE**EDITS COMPLETE* Ash Ketchum is a brand new trainer from Pallet Town in the Kanto region at 16 years old. His dream is to become the very b...
24.9K 796 63
The sequel to 'A Journey's Link'. -Spoilers ahead- Six years have passed since the event transpired as a result of Giovanni and his manipulation of t...
30.9K 1.2K 51
Do you believe in fate? Serena doesn't. But what the fate does with her, she cannot believe. What happens when the cold, perfect male god of the univ...