wasted times- s.r

By midnight-ra1n

"π’œπ“ƒπ’Ή 𝑒𝓋𝑒𝓃 π“‰π’½π‘œπ“Šπ‘”π’½ π“Žπ‘œπ“Š π“…π“Šπ“‰ π“‚π“Ž 𝓁𝒾𝒻𝑒 π“‰π’½π“‡π‘œπ“Šπ‘”π’½ 𝒽𝑒𝓁𝓁 ℐ 𝒸𝒢𝓃'𝓉 π“ˆοΏ½... More

introduction+ disclaimers
TWO
THREE
FOUR
FIVE
SIX
SEVEN
EIGHT
NINE
TEN
ELEVEN
TWELVE
THIRTEEN
FOURTEEN
FIFTEEN
SIXTEEN
SEVENTEEN
EIGHTEEN
NINETEEN
TWENTY
TWENTY-ONE
TWENTY-TWO
TWENTY-THREE
TWENTY-FOUR
TWENTY-FIVE
TWENTY-SIX
TWENTY-SEVEN
TWENTY-EIGHT
TWENTY-NINE
THIRTY
THIRTY-ONE
THIRTY-TWO
THIRTY-THREE
THIRTY-FOUR
THIRTY-FIVE
THIRTY-SIX
THIRTY-SEVEN
THIRTY-EIGHT
THIRTY-NINE
FORTY
FORTY-ONE
sequel

ONE

13.6K 314 770
By midnight-ra1n

As soon as the elevator dings, an indication that you've arrived on the floor, you drop your nervous and anxious composure immediately. Instead, you replace it with the confident, self-assured version that you have learned to turn on and off as you please. As you walk toward the glass doors, you take a deep breath before pushing the door open and walking into the crowded bullpen which would now be your new place of work. When you discovered you'd been offered a position at the BAU, ecstatic could not begin to describe how you were feeling. You have not been an agent for too long, only having joined the FBI when you were twenty-four, and you were now twenty-seven.

You slowly approach the door and look at the paper in your hand to ensure you are in the correct place. The nameplate on the door read Aaron Hotchner who you knew was the unit chief. You knock on the door and wait until you hear the muffled sound of a deep male voice instructing you to come in. You push open the door slightly, and the man barely acknowledges you until you clear your throat softly. It was when he finally looks up at you that the pieces begin to click in his head, it seems. After all, you got here earlier than you were supposed to in hopes of being early for your first day.

"You must be the new agent, Y/N Y/L/N, correct?"

"That would be correct, sir." He motions to one of the two chairs in front of his desk, "Feel free to take a seat." You take the hint and walk over to the chair and seating yourself in the one on the right, crossing your leg over the other and folding your hands in your lap. "Now, I could sit here for a while and go over everything you have probably already heard over and over, but I'm going to choose not to in hopes of saving the both of us some time. I've seen your records, and you have done some excellent work, I have no doubts about you fitting right in here."

"Thank you, sir." The way he speaks so highly about you and your achievements so early on make you feel even more pressure now. The need to live up to the expectations set for you was already unbearable and you haven't even started officially yet. You want to fit in here and you want to succeed. You have heard stories about the BAU, how they were such a tight-knit team that considered themselves family more than colleagues, and you could only hope that you'd be accepted into it shortly.

"Now, we do have a case today so you'll be joining us right away. You have your credentials and your gun, I presume?" You nod your head and dig through the piles of papers so you could hand over proof from your latest gun re-test, which you had gotten a perfect score on. He skims over the paper before sliding it back to you to tuck into the folder.

"Everything looks great so far. Let me show you to your desk and then I'll introduce you to the team." He walks you over into the bullpen near a few desks and leads you over to the empty one where you could place your things down. This must have been the desk of the woman you were replacing, whom you knew basically nothing about, only that she no longer worked in the BAU and you would be taking her position. 

As you glance at the desk directly adjacent to yours, you notice a stack of books piled in the corner of the desk and you subconsciously skimmed the titles of them quickly. Maybe it was the profiler in you, but you were curious to see if you could somewhat get to know the person by the books they were reading. From what you could tell, this person had a very similar taste to yours when it came to literature.

You did not dwell on it much longer, placing your box of things on the desk and following Agent Hotchner over to the conference room. You could see a small group of people gathering in the room and you feel a nervous pit in your stomach as he motions you into the room where all eyes are immediately on you. You feel small under their gaze, and you could feel them profiling you from the second you had walked in. You couldn't even blame them because you have been guilty of doing the exact same thing, even if you did not often realize it. Your profiling skills were hard to turn off sometimes.

"I'd like for everyone to meet our newest agent. Everyone, this is Y/N Y/L/N." You give the group a small wave as he motions to you. "Let's all do our best to make her feel welcome here." His tone told you that there was an underlying message to what he was saying, like there was a different meaning behind the words that you had no idea about.

"These are Agents Morgan, Jareau, Rossi, Dr. Reid, and our tech analyst, Penelope Garcia." You go around and shake the hands of all the agents, and you could already feel the tension in the air, but try to ignore it for the sake of making a good first impression. You were getting the vibe that they didn't want you here but tried to hide it for the sake of their boss telling them so. From what you could see so far, Jennifer and Penelope seemed the warmest of the bunch.

When you finally reached the man at the end of the table, you hold out your hand for a shake and it was only then that he looks up from his file to acknowledge your presence. He glances down to your outstretched hand before he returns to look you in the eyes once more, narrowing them slightly. "I don't shake hands," he states matter-of-factly before looking down at the file in front of him once more. You anxiously pull your hand back and take the seat at the end of the table, furthest away from the rest of the team.

Penelope comes around and slides a folder in front of you, giving you an apologetic look before returning to the front of the room and beginning the briefing. You have your own thoughts about the case but ultimately decide against voicing your opinion, especially since you already have a feeling that they don't like you, and you don't want to make it worse by talking and possibly setting them off on the wrong trail. From what you could already tell, Dr. Reid was the genius of the group, which was probably why he was so pompous when you introduced yourself. Maybe it was because you're new and they all need some time to warm up to you. So you decide to give them the benefit of the doubt and be as nice as possible to them. If they don't want to be your friend then you could live with that, but you want to be respected by them as a colleague and be treated as an equal.

The case was not anything too extravagant, high-class men were being slaughtered in their own homes. They were being murdered executioner style with one single bullet to the head, and the blood from the scene being cleaned up after the death.

You listen intently as the team begins to briefly discuss the case, deciding to keep quiet and listen attentively. "Wheels up in thirty," Agent Hotchner juts his head toward the door and you follow him out. "I'll be taking you to the jet now. Do you have a go-bag?" You nod, walking over to your desk and grabbing the bag you had put under it earlier. You catch a glimpse of Dr. Reid walking away from his desk and toward the elevator-- the desk direct adjacent to yours. He notices you grabbing your go-bag as he exits and huffs in annoyance and rolls his eyes when you give him a small smile.

You walk back over to Agent Hotchner's office where he is already waiting for you to show you the way to the jet. He motions you inside the elevator and you step inside, watching as he presses the button for the floor that will take you to where they keep the jet. "They're nice people." He said, breaking the silence. You turn to look at him with a raised eyebrow, hoping for some clarification. "The team," he clarifies. "They're nice people. They just- they don't like change very much."

"I'm sure they are, sir." You rock back and forth on your heels as you were unsure of what to say now.

"Oh, and please, non of that sir nonsense. You're part of the team now, so feel free to just call me Hotch, everyone else does." You give him a small smile which is not returned as he leads you over to the jet for the BAU. It was nice. Very nice. You could most definitely get used to this.

When you enter onto the jet, everyone already appears to be in their own worlds and you like you're back in high school again, trying to decide where to sit in the cafeteria. You eventually decide to give in and decide to take the lone seat across from Jennifer- or JJ, she'd told you to call her. She seems like she is the nicest one in the group so far, her and Penelope, and it would be nice to feel like at least one person likes you. But, you also remember what Hotch told you on the elevator, so you're hoping that they will come around eventually, even if some are particularly more difficult than others -some meaning Dr. Spencer Reid himself.

The plane ride is not a very long one, but you spend the entirety of it glancing down at the file in front of you, skimming over the details very quickly. "What are you thinking?" JJ's voice pulls your eyes away from the file so you can look up at her. She gives you a small smile and motions to the file in front of you. "Oh, I'm just looking it over. Trying to see if anything stands out." She cocks her head to the side and looks at you with a knowing expression, and you felt like you were being grilled by your mother for coming home past curfew under her gaze.

"Anything stand out?"

You shake your head and shut the file in front of you and rubbing your eyes. The conversation with you and JJ didn't go any further and you go back to what you were doing until the plane lands. As the wheels touch the ground, Hotch assigns you to head to the crime scene with Morgan which didn't seem too bad.

"Do you want to drive or should I?" You hold up the keys to the SUV, dangling them from your index finger. He shrugs his shoulders, "I can drive." He opens his hand and you toss the keys to him and hop in the passenger's seat while he moves around to the driver's side. The car ride to the scene was quiet enough to hear a pin drop, and you contemplate turning on the radio to make it somewhat less uncomfortable but ultimately decide against it.

You quickly hop out of the car once it comes to a stop in front of the fairly large house that the man lived in completely alone. You follow Morgan into the house and into the living room where the body was found, there were other officers in there gathered around the scene, looking for evidence as the two of you approached the room.

"You wanna check the bedrooms and I'll stay down here?"

"Sounds good," you walked up the stairs and made your way into what you assumed was the master bedroom of the house, sliding on a pair of rubber gloves as you crossed the threshold into the room. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary, the bed was made and hadn't been slept in and some laundry in the corner of the room in a basket. You open the door to the closet to be met with mostly suits and formal wear, with a small section of women's clothing. You walk into the ensuite bathroom where everything also looks like it was normal. Your eyes scan over the countertop, stopping at the small cup in the corner of the sink. There were two toothbrushes.

You grab an evidence bag and carefully grab both toothbrushes and put them both in separate bags before exiting the room to tell Morgan about your findings. You stop in your tracks when you see a door slightly ajar at the end of the hallway and you approach it. His study. With one quick look at the desk, it didn't look out of the ordinary, there were only standard papers scattered across the desk. Bank statements, bills, and insurance papers. As you move back from the bookshelf, something in the corner of the room catches your eyes, a piece of the moulding on the floor was slightly out of place.

You crouch down on the floor and slowly pulled the piece from the wall. "Holy shit," you whisper to yourself. Behind the wall must have been more money than you've ever seen in your entire existence. "Morgan!" You hear the loud sound of running footsteps up the stairs and Derek in the doorway, his hand on the gun on his hip. "What'd you find?"

You move aside and hear him let out a low whistle at all the money stashed in the wall. This guy was most definitely involved in something sketchy. He helps you bag the money and you hear him on the phone with Hotch giving an update. You clear your throat awkwardly and he pauses mid-sentence to look at you. "Hold on, Hotch-- What's up?" You cock your head to the side and he follows you into the washroom where you point out the second toothbrush in the holder and the section of female clothing in the closet. He tilts his head and cocks his eyebrow as to the significance.

"No one mentioned him having a partner. I think our unsub could be a woman." His eyes go wide and he returns back to his phone call with Hotch, leaving you alone in the room once more. He comes back into the room after and informs you that you could head back to the station now, leading the both of you two back to the SUV you came in.

When you re-enter the station, it is significantly emptier now that all the local officers and team members were gone doing their own thing. You walk into the conference room where the team agreed to meet at, and saw Reid concentrating on the geographical profile. He was leaning on his forearms on the table, his sleeves rolled up and his tongue poking out of the corner of his mouth while he held a sharpie in his hand, marking the locations on the map.

Morgan clears his throat to make your presence known and he looks up at you for a brief moment, rolling his eyes when he looked at you. "I heard you found out the unsub was a woman, Morgan."

"Not me, that was all Y/L/N."

"Beginners luck, I suppose." He mumbles it quietly, but enough for you to hear him loud and clear.

You take a deep breath in and choose to bite your tongue, it was only your first day and you didn't want to burn any bridges with anyone so soon. Instead you pretend as though you hadn't heard him and take your seat at the table while you await for the rest of the team to come back.

Once everyone else returns, the entire team works to develop a profile based on the new assumption that the unsub was a woman. Apparently at the other crime scenes, there were also toothbrushes found in the bathroom, and all these men lived alone. Hotch sends all the toothbrushes to be sent for DNA testing, and you all had to wait for the results to come back.

"Nice catch, Y/L/N." Hoch gives you a curt nod and you return it with a smile, feeling proud of yourself for proving to be helpful on your first day. "The rest of you can head to the hotel. DNA results are backed up and not expected to be back until the morning."

Hotch, Morgan and Rossi took one SUV while you, JJ, and Reid took the second one back to the hotel. JJ takes the keys and you were beelining for the passenger's seat when Reid came seemingly out of nowhere and pulls the door open, stepping inside before you had the chance. You resist the urge to roll your eyes and instead give him a tigh-lipped smile, pulling open the door to the backseat and buckling your seatbelt. JJ was watching the encounter closely, and gave her friend a scolding look, which he chooses to ignore.

"So, Y/N, how would you say your first day with the team is going so far?" Reid crosses his arms over his chest and slumps back in the seat, resting his head on the window.

"Oh, um, it was good. You all seem so nice." It was partially the truth, they all did seem nice, except maybe one person in particular. A scoff comes from the passenger's seat and you feel yourself deflating instantly and leaning back in your seat. Your gaze fell down to your intertwined fingers in your lap where you twist the ring on your middle finger and absentmindely pick at the already chipping nail polish, which was perfect this morning.

You're the first person to step out of the vehicle practically the second JJ puts the car in park. The tension in the air was uncomfortable and you felt out of place there, and you desperately want to get out of that car. You notice Spencer's hand go to the handle of the car door when JJ's hand grips his arm to hold him back. You hear him huff in annoyance before you shut the door and walk into the hotel, gathering in the lobby while Hotch hands out room keys.

Reid comes into the hotel a few minutes later with a key of his own while you're waiting for the elevator and rolls his eyes. You take a step on the first elevator that comes and hold the door open, waiting and holding the door open to see if Reid was going to catch a ride for you. When he didn't come, you peek your head out and see him leaning against the wall.

"Are you coming?"

"No," he said through gritted teeth.

"Are you sure? I can-"

"I'll be fine. I can wait for another one."

You remove your hand from the hold button and watch the elevator door and lean against the back wall of it, watching as the numbers go up on the elevator until you reach the seventh floor where your room was. You slide the key in the card slot and watch as the light turns from red to green, pushing the door open and stepping inside. You drop your things down on the chair and strip down your work clothes and stepping into the scorching shower and blowdrying your hair after. You change into a clean pair of pyjama bottoms and an oversized band tee before crawling under the scratchy cotton sheets of the hotel bed. You turn onto your back and fold your hands across your chest, looking up at the popcorn ceiling. For your first day at the BAU, it definitely could have gone a lot worse. 

A/N:
what do we think so far? i know the rest of the team is kind of iffy rn but cut them some slack, alright! they'll warm up to y/n eventually, they are all just adjusting still! spencer on the other hand.... yeah, not any time soon.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.7K 110 32
Amelia joins the BAU knowing the guy she has hooked up works there. They keep their unofficial relationship a secret until Amelia's past comes back t...
61.3K 1.5K 16
- Ν™ΫͺΫͺΜ₯Λšβ”Šβ› βœβ”ŠΛš Ν™ΫͺΫͺΜ₯β—Œ Reid's sister, for most of her life's has always allowed her past to haunt and shape her future, but what's happens when her past...
80.3K 1.8K 19
Y/N has always dreamed of going to Paris and her team at the BAU wanted to help make that dream a reality. The group is more like family than coworke...
97.8K 2.9K 31
After her sudden departure from the BAU, Y/N and Spencer have spent the last four years apart, yet somehow, they keep finding their way back to each...