Flamed Out (Roy Mustang X Oc)

By Bohannon_

An au Follows the 09 anime, with swears and heavy topics, but not too heavy. I try to be sensitive to the peo... More

Authors note
Chapter 1 (revised)
Chapter 2 (revised)
Chapter 3 (revised)
Chapter 4 (revised)
Chapter 5 (revised)
Chapter 6 (revised)
Chapter 7 (revised)
Chapter 8 (revised)
Chapter 9 (revised)
Chapter 10 (revised)
Chapter 11 (revised)
Chapter 12 (revised)
Chapter 13 (revised)
Chapter 14 (revised)
Chapter 15 (revised)
Chapter 16 (revised)
Chapter 17 (revised)
Chapter 18 (revised)
Chapter 19 (revised)
Chapter 20 (revised)
Chapter 21 (revised)
Chapter 22 (revised)
Chapter 23 (revised)
Chapter 24 (revised)
Chapter 25 (revised)
Chapter 26 (revised)
Chapter 27 (revised)
Chapter 28 (revised)
Chapter 29 (revised)
Chapter 30 (revised)
Chapter 31 (revised)
Chapter 32 (revised)
Chapter 33 (revised)
Chapter 34 (revised)
Chapter 35 (revised)
Chapter 36 (edited)
Chapter 37 (edited)
Chapter 38 (edited)
Chapter 39 (edited)
Chapter 40 (edited)
Chapter 41 (edited)
Chapter 42 (edited)
Chapter 43 (edited)
Chapter 44 (edited)
Chapter 45 (edited)
Chapter 46 (edited)
Chapter 47 (edited)
Chapter 48 (edited)
Chapter 49 (edited)
Chapter 50 (edited)
Chapter 51 (edited)
Chapter 52 (edited)
Chapter 54 (edited)
Chapter 55 (edited)
Chapter 56 (edited)
Chapter 57 (edited)
Chapter 58 (edited)
Chapter 59 (edited)
Chapter 60 (edited)
Chapter 61 (edited)
Chapter 62 (edited)
Chapter 63 (edited)
Chapter 64 (edited)
Chapter 65 (edited)
Chapter 66 (edited)
Chapter 67 (edited)
Chapter 68
Epiloge
Last author's note

Chapter 53 (edited)

339 10 4
By Bohannon_

(Hunter's POV)

I opened my eyes and found myself staring at a darkened sky with smoke and fumes floating in the air.

The scene looked familiar.

Ishval?

It was dark and fires lit the area around us.

I looked around our surroundings. We were definitely in Ishval.

Sitting up, I found Riza, Roy, Kimblee, Basque Grand, Issac McDougal and Maes.

I blinked feeling confused. Aren't half those people dead?

And then it struck me.

"Hughes!" I sprung up and ran towards him, wrapping my arms around him.

He laughed. "Hey there. You slept for a long time, are you feeling better?"

I let go and looked at him, desperately grabbing at his hand. "I'm sorry!" My voice shook. "I'm so sorry I left and... and didn't answer your... calls or letters-"

"Hey." He cut me off. "I know you are. I'm not angry."

I gasped lightly. "I miss you, so much."

He smiled, ruffling my hair. "You've been asleep for quite a while. It's time you wake up."

I was confused. "What?"

"Sleep well?" Kimblee walked up to me and sat down.

I looked around, Maes now sat in front of a fire with Roy and I was back in the spot I woke up in.

"I guess." I rubbed my neck.

He was silent for a moment.

"We did well today." He looked at me. "It's no wonder they pair us up often, our alchemies when combined create something magnificent."

I raised a brow. "I guess."

"Don't look now, but you're boyfriend over there's glaring at me." He sounded amused.

I looked up and found Roy, he was in fact glaring. I shook my head.

Kimblee took a breath. "Do you think we could've been friends?"

I looked back at him, confused. "Maybe, if things had turned out differently, maybe we could've been. Why do you ask?"

"You were the only one who was ever truly kind to me Devlin, you showed me humanity. I had a spot for you, believe it or not." He paused.

Whaaaaat? Nooo. This is Kimblee, and he has spots for no one.

"And it hurt me when you pushed me away at Briggs, I was genuinely happy to see you." He admitted. "We were war buddies after all."

I looked at him, still trying to figure what he meant. Who the fuck-?

"Remember that time we got caught in that building for two days?" He made eye contact with me. "Your flames had burnt the ceiling, trapping us in the basement. You told me about your abusive husband. Indeed, we could've been friends, if circumstances were different. We missed out on the chance."

"What are you saying?" I asked.

He turned to me. "I died, Devlin."

I woke up. I was in a dimly lit room.

What was that dream?...

A hospital room?

"Devlin?"

I looked to the right and found Miles, he sat in a chair next to my bed.

"Miles." I lifted my head, I felt dazed and sleepy.

I looked around the room. "Where's Bucc-" My breath hitched.

No way...

I shut my eyes, feeling my face heat up with emotion and of course, I started tearing up. I tried to hold back my cries, but I couldn't.

I covered my mouth, trying my hardest to drown them out. Everything was terrible and my whole body ached

That blissful moment of peace after waking up before everything hits you like bricks had come and gone.

I was tired.

And shattered.

Miles held my hand and lowered his head, waiting for me to finish.

I took a jagged breath and wiped my face. "It's..." I chuckled. "It's real.."

"I wanted so badly for it to not be... I wanted to go back to Briggs. I wanted to be with you and Buccaneer again. I wanted..."

I wiped my face. "It's silly."

"It's not." Miles handed me a box of tissues. "You wanted to be with friends again, that's not silly."

I shifted in my bed, propping myself up.

He handed me water. I took the glass and drank all of it, my throat was dry. He handed me another, I drank that up as well.

He set the glass on the night side table. "Before you ask, no, I'm not taking you to see him at the morgue."

I was disappointed. "Why?"

"You're injured and hurting. You don't need to see him right now. You need rest." He sounded calm.

"Right.." I turned away.

"Tell me what happened."

My heart sank. "Didn't you get the story from Falman? Or Smith?"

He nodded. "I did. But I want it from you."

My jaw tightened.

"He was my friend too." He took his glasses off and looked directly at me.

That's right... I shut my eyes.

I swallowed hard before. "Bradley was too fast for me to pinpoint so... I wasn't very helpful. And Buccaneer stepped up, alone of course."

I hesitated for the next part. "He... Bradley stabbed him and, forces from Xing and Greed the Homunculus helped us."

"I..." I shut my eyes, trying hard to throw back my emotion. "I... pulled my attention away...." My voice broke with emotion anyways. "Away for a few seconds and..."

I sighed, feeling the tears roll down my cheek. "He pulled the sword out and stabbed both an old man and Bradley." I took a breath. "After that... after that time stopped and..."

I shook my head. "Anyways, Greed helped us keep the gate closed. He's the only reason we kept it secured. I'll write it in a report for you."

Miles sat back in his chair, processing the story.

The room was quiet.

A lonely quiet.

Our infamous Briggs trio wasn't a trio anymore, I know for a fact Buccaneer would be in here with us. He'd probably get in the bed with me.

There would no longer be three of us in the same room. No more planning attacks together, no more laughing together, no more drinking together.... no more being together.

I looked at Miles. I know you're just as sad as I am.

He was deep in thought and he held a lot of tension in his shoulders. He's holding a lot back.

I shifted myself close to the edge and gestured for him to come closer.

He leaned forward and I grabbed his sleeve, pulling him to sit on the bed. He sat on the edge and I wrapped my arms around him, hugging him.

"I know you're holding it back Miles. You don't have to, not when you're with me." I spoke softly.

He weakly hugged me back and buried his face into my shoulder; I felt him tremble.

My eyes watered, feeling both his pain and my own pain.

A few minutes passed before he pulled away and went back to his chair.

I wiped my face, sniffling lightly. The atmosphere in the room was... sad and quiet. It felt even lonelier knowing that he wasn't around anymore.

"What time is it?" I looked at him.

"9:30 pm."

I nodded. "How long was I out?"

He took a breath. "Two days. I didn't leave your side."

"Thank you, for not leaving me." I was genuinely thankful for that.

"You lost a lot of blood, and the stress you underwent is what caused you to pass out." He explained.

I nodded. "Oh." Not to mention that I also didn't sleep or eat that day-

The hardware nuts!

Where's my jacket?

I looked around the room, on the chairs, on the tables, next to my bed.

"Where's my jacket? Did they throw it away?" I looked at him.

He got up and opened a closet, throwing my bloody uniform and jacket onto the bed.

So he didn't let them throw it away.

He watched me grab my jacket and dig in the pocket, pulling out a hardware nut.

"Catch." I tossed it to him.

He caught it. "What's this?"

"Hardware nut, from his automail." I watched him examine it. I pulled my own out and showed him.

He sat at the end of my bed, looking at it. "Thank you..."

"Of course.." I bit the inside of my cheek. "He wanted me to tell you.."

He looked at me.

"I won."

I watched as he slowly realized what that meant. He quickly lowered his head, avoiding my gaze.

I pulled myself closer and sat next to him, holding his hand. Once again, tears filled my eyes. "What will we ever do without our Buccy?"

"I'm just as lost as you are Devlin."

We sat together, a hot mess of.. sadness and grief.

I relaxed against him, my head on his shoulder. "How will we survive this?"

"We will, somehow." He squeezed my hand.

We sat together for a moment before I straightened up, taking a shaky breath. "You should get some rest."

He looked at me.

"It sounds like you haven't slept much if you've been at my side for two days." I tried convincing him.

"I'm sure you already have Smith or someone guarding my door right now. I will tell them to call you if something happens." I promised.

He took a breath. "Okay."

"Do you want my keys?"

"No. I'll stay in the hotel down the street." He stood up and walked towards the door.

Buuut he stopped and turned back to me, unsure if he should leave or not.

I nodded. "Go."

With that he put on his glasses and left the room.

(Roy's POV)

"What do you mean you can't get her with us?!" I raised my voice at whoever was talking to me. "I asked you yesterday and the day before that to make arrangements!"

Hawkeye and I were in a hospital room, they had bandaged us up.

"I... Major Devlin is already in a room sir.. General Armstrong placed her in a VIP room on the top floor... it's very private..." I didn't recognize his voice.

I growled. "Get out!"

"Colonel!" Hawkeye yelled at me.

I heard the door slam shut.

I sat back in my bed annoyed and in pain. "General Armstrong... Of course she'd do that." That miserable bitc-

She wants Hunter allll to herself, that's how it's been since she got to Central-

"Devlin is under her command now.. so-"
Falman's voice filled my ears.

"Still. She should be here, in our room." I was annoyed, I wanted her here with us, with me.

I don't care if it's selfish, I want her. It's been too long since we've been apart.

"I'll ask Miles if he can bring her down." Falman offered. "Though I'm not sure if she woke up yet.."

My stomach dropped. "What do you mean?!"

The room went quiet. I was drowning in the silence.

"Well?" Panic in my voice.

"Devlin was hurt pretty badly up on the main gate..." Falman started. "She lost an eye and.. Bradley's sword went through her shoulder. She's been out since the battle."

"And no one thought to tell me?" I shook my head.

I wanted to jump out of this bed and go to her room. But I couldn't. I wouldn't know where to go without my sight.

My jaw tightened. This darkness... I hated it.

I swallowed hard before speaking. "Can you ask him?"

Falman took a breath. "I can, though he hasn't left her room and he hasn't let anyone in." He sounded sad.

"He hasn't let anyone in..? And he hasn't left her room? Why?" I was confused.

There was a pause before I got an answer.

"Miles, Buccaneer and Devlin were the 'Briggs Trio'." Hawkeye reminded me.

"They took a pretty big hit with the loss of Buccaneer. Devlin..." Falman trailed off. "You didn't see what happened on that gate."

I grew even more annoyed. Why wasn't anyone telling me anything? Why do I have to keep asking?

And nice choice of words asshole. 'See' Huh.. of course I didn't see what happened up there.

"Get me the report and read it to me, I want to know what happened." I ordered.

"There hasn't been a report yet. Devlin took lead after Buccaneer, she has to be the one to write it." Falman reminded me.

Okay that's it. I'm going up there. I sat myself at the edge of the bed. "Take me up there, he'll let me in."

I gotta be there when she wakes up.

After what she told me about Buccaneer, she's gonna be feeling awful when she wakes up. And I need to be there when she wakes up.

... I couldn't be there when she lost her friend, but I can be there when she wakes up.

"I can't do that Colonel." Falman pushed me back into bed. "You're hurt and even if I brought you up, Miles would turn you away. He's turned everyone away. The only people who have been in there are him and Armstrong."

My chest tightened. I only want to be with her. And I still can't, even though Bradley's gone. Even though all this shit has ended, I still can't be there.

"Just wait for now. I'll ask him." It sounded as if he stepped back. "I've been waiting to see her too."

"Okay.." I laid down, feeling defeated.

It still aches to be away from you like this...

(Hunter's POV)

An hour had passed and I was bored, alone, and sad.

I lay flat on my bed. Only 10:30... and I've been asleep for two days, of course I'm not tired.

Maybe I shouldn't have told him to leave so early... Y'know what? Maybe he didn't even leave, maybe he's guarding the door.

I lay still, trying to keep my mind blank, yet a certain dumbass kept popping up.

I wonder where he is..? I hope he's okay.

Then there was a knock and the door opened.

I sat up and my face lit up when Falman walked in.

"Hey." He smiled.

I chuckled. "Hi."

He walked towards the bed and leaned down, pulling me into a hug.

Finally, someone to talk to. Someone who's been awake for the last two days and could probably tell me what the fucks going on.

He pulled away and sat in the chair next to my bed. "How are you feeling?"

"Eh. Sore." I admitted. "What about you?"

"Fine. I kept the gate for you, just like you asked me." He smiled.

I chuckled. "Thank you." I eyed him. "Why'd you come so late?"

"I came as soon as Miles told me you were awake. We've been waiting for you." He sounded sad, I watched his shoulder slump.

"Oh."

He sat back in his chair, letting out a sigh.

There was silence between us.

"Vato."

He looked up at me, caught off guard by my use of his name.

"What's wrong?" I spoke softly.

He leaned forward, resting his forearms on his knees. He seemed at a loss for words. "I don't know... I guess I'm just." He hesitated. "...Sad?"

My gaze softened. "What are you sad about?"

He looked at me and then stood up, he stepped toward the bed. "Push over."

"What?!"

"Push over damn it!" He demanded.

"Ah! Eh? Okay?" I pushed over making room for, I don't know? Him?

As soon as there was enough room, he crawled in and laid next to me.

I laid still and awkwardly next to him, not really sure what to make of the situation.

"I just wanted to talk to you." He admitted.

I glanced at him and then glanced back at the ceiling. "Then talk until you feel alright."

"I've been thinking about the Captain a lot, I don't know.. I can't seem to stop."

"He was..." He stopped. "He was a good person and there were a lot of times where we had long conversations about... well about a lot of things." He didn't go into specifics.

"He was a good person to talk too." I added. "He always knew the right thing to say." It made me sad to talk about Buccaneer, but if it comforted my friend, then I would do it for him.

He gave me a sad smile. "Heh ya... he was funny too, and his personality lit up the room."

I smiled thinking about him. "There were always smiling faces when he was around and he made people laugh so easily."

"He just knew how to talk to people."

The room fell quiet.

I laughed. "I remember this one time, well it was a lot of times, but we would smuggle alcohol into the Barracks." I laughed more, remembering those days.

"Oh yeah?"

I caught my breath. "And for the longest time, no one knew who it was. We got smart too and started hiding it inside the cannons as they were delivered." I chuckled. "We were always the first ones to handle the cannons anyways, so there was never any risk of us getting caught."

"Plus we were Armstrong's little angels, so she never suspected us." I sighed. "He probably stopped after I left."

"Nope."

I looked at him.

"He kept it up even after you left. He was still doing it when I got there." He smiled.

I laughed, feeling tears come to my eyes. "I'm glad he didn't stop just because I left." I sniffled.

I sighed. "He was my best friend.."

Silence, again.

"Tell me another story."

I thought a moment. "We used to visit a bar in N City, Mac's. There was one time where we made a bet on who could get more phone numbers." I smiled. "I lost the bet and had to buy him all of his drinks. Oh my god and because I lost he made me.."

I stopped. "He made me flirt with Miles." I cringed, remembering how awkward it was.

Falman laughed loudly. "He did?!"

I laughed with him. "And poor Miles was so uncomfortable but he was too polite to say anything to me. So he just let it happen."

We laughed harder together.

I took a breath. "There was another time when we let a boar into the Fort and it ran everywhere and made such a big mess of the place. We just wanted to watch everyone try and catch it." I laughed. "And Armstrong was soooo mad at us."

"She made us clean up everything and- Oh my god! She also made up go through every book in the Fort and make sure that the pages weren't dog eared." I sighed. "Aaaah we got into so much trouble together, never a dull day when the two of us were together."

Falman hummed. "I wish I could've seen it." He sounded sad again.

"There was one time where we had a battle with Drachma. I remember feeling so anxious after it happened, I had a panic attack. And I remember him sitting next to me and telling me, 'breathe kid, your breath is your most powerful tool.' I've never forgotten that."

He just listened to me go on and on.

I chuckled. "There was another time when we locked ourselves in the communications room and we sent out tons and tons of radio transmissions, and it caused SUCH a mess that day. People running in and out, this way and that way. The confusion was SO funny to us, just watching people run back and forth at the false orders we sent out."

He smiled at the story.

"When did you start feeling like this?" I glanced at him.

"After the battle was over and the dust settled." He sighed. "It finally set in. And there was no one to talk to. I can't really talk to Miles and well, the Colonel and the rest wouldn't understand."

I looked back at the ceiling. "I'm sorry I went MIA on you then."

"Ah, it wasn't your fault. It was a rough day."

I nodded. "Yeah I really fucked myself over by not eating or sleeping the night before."

"Why didn't you sleep?" He looked at me.

"I tried but I couldn't, I was thinking too much."

"What were you thinking about?"

I sighed. "Mustang."

He fell silent.

"I can't even describe the situation..." I trailed off. "It's like... there's a hole inside me. And it's lonely and empty and... awful." I paused.

"He tried getting you in the same room as them, but couldn't because General Armstrong arranged a private room for you, plus you're under her command again so her word goes."

My heart raced. "Oh.."

"Y'know he thought you had died. Bradley told him he struck you down before he found them underneath Central." He shifted.

I almost wanted to smile, he really thought I'd go down easily? Please, I took a hit to the face and shoulder, and still managed to pin a bunch of Central assholes down in a stair shaft.

But... the idea of him being sad over me made me feel.. happy. Because it meant that he still cared.

"How do you really feel about Colonel?" He suddenly asked.

That's a dumb fucking question. "Isn't it pretty obvious?" I mean that's what people have been telling me.

"Can you put it into words?" He was obviously teasing me.

I scoffed. "How do you put a feeling into words?"

I thought a moment. "When you're in love, like in love. It's this incredible experience where you don't need them but... fuck." I smiled. "Life is not as fun or as beautiful or as amazing without them."

"Everything was.. brighter and clearer with him and now..? It's like.. it feels like death to be without him now. He was.. He felt right.. and no one has ever felt like that before... he became everything to me."

I stared blankly at the ceiling. "I've been hurt before.. badly, by someone who was supposed to give me everything. And that left.. a lot of scars, but I gave him my heart anyways."

"I love him... so much.. and I have never admitted that to anyone.. not even to myself. Because if I admit it to myself.. then.. he has all the power over me. Loving someone comes with the risk of them breaking you."

I stopped. "It's like letting someone point a gun at you and trusting them not to pull the trigger."

I shrugged. "He pulled the trigger."

I shook my head, trying to get rid of the tears forming. "Ah sorry, you came here to talk and I ended up rambling."

I started getting embarrassed for practically spilling my feelings to him- AAAAHHHH why did I do that?? Dumb.. dumb idiot..

"No, it's okay. I asked." He spoke softly. "I didn't know that's how you felt about him. That sounds real..." He sounded genuine "He waited for you, all those years. It's like he knew, he didn't think or hope that you would come back, he knew you would."

I looked at him. "How do you know?"

"I just always had the feeling he was waiting, because he never looked at anyone. And then you walked into the office that first day, and the way he looked at you.." He turned to me. "It was that obvious."

I laughed.

"We all kind of knew." He added.

I nudged his shoulder. "Okay I get it." Now that I think about it, they were always hinting at it-

He paused.

I sighed. "Sorry, you came here because you were sad and you ended up just listening to me."

He laughed. "No it's alright. Hearing your stories helped."

I smiled. "Ya.. it helped me too."

Silence fell between us for a few minutes, and we lay in the same bed.

I'm super awkward right now... but I can't push him away...

He came to me because he was lonely, I can't do that to him.

I shut my eyes, the level of uncomfortableness was high. I opened my eyes. "I dreamt about Kimblee."

"Ew, why?" He was baffled.

I chuckled. "I don't know... he died. Didn't he?" My voice sounded empty.

"Ya. There was a report."

I'll have to read it.

"We should make this a weekly thing." He suggested.

I laughed loudly.

"I'm serious." His voice was stone.

My laugh cut out. "Weekly thing huh?"

"Yes. Every Friday." He planned this all on his own.

"Oh, you're a gossip?" I looked at him.

"Yeah!" He turned to me.

The way he so easily admitted to that made me laugh. "Okay then." If it'll make you happy.

It's the least I can do for you, you promised me a lot up on the gate..

"Was Miles at the door when you came in?" I looked at him.

"No, it was Harvey. They switch out every few hours." He informed me.

"Goodness." I turned back to the ceiling.

He sat up. "Well, I should get going." He turned to me. "Thanks. I needed that."

I smiled at him. "You're welcome."

He got up and walked to the door, stopping to look back at me. "Goodnight, Hunter."

"Goodnight."

And with that, he left the room.

I turned to the side table next to my bed and stared at the hardware nut on it.

I shifted to my side and stared at it longer.

My eyes saddened.

"Goodnight Buccy."

I closed my eyes feeling tears spring up and a lonely ache in my heart.

Goodnight.

———————————————————————————————————————————————————Bohannon

Thanks for reading!

-I don't own Fullmetal Alchemist or any of its characters

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.7K 270 55
Cover obviously isn't mine it's straight up a screenshot from the anime and I obviously don't own on Hunter X Hunter In my own words the story is kin...
2.2K 45 13
SO! I am bored and need mcyt angst cuz the world doesn't give me enough. Though I don't want to long off stories- I'ma be writing mcyt angst oneshots...
1.5K 48 100
philosopher's stone was birth since a long time ago because of war and homoculus pushing to create it. *spoilers* war ended. Homonculus are dead. No...