Killing Nikovage Bloodhunter

By 425anonymous

Eight misfits from five completely different worlds unite over a murder and one common threat: vampires. Elod... More

Authors Note
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10

Chapter 7

11 0 0
By 425anonymous

June 16th, 2003
Denton Valley, New York

Kipps's Cabin

"I don't like this," I grumbled for the tenth time since breakfast.

We were loading up the cars in front of the cabin. The Winchesters had the trunk of the Impala open and their impressive cache of weapons were on display. Kipps sat at the back of his SUV, his legs dangling over the bumper as he meticulously checked his wooden arrows. The Stolls and Charlie were watching on in interest, already prepared for our reconnaissance mission.

"Sorry, 'Lodie, you've been outvoted," Travis said, toying with a wooden stake.

Even though it was broad daylight, it didn't hurt to be prepared, even if the only vampire that we could run into was the one vampire we didn't know how to kill. The others had decided the calculated risk was worth it after I repeatedly brought it up, so I decided to bite the bullet and join the hunt instead of being left out. Somehow, I'd ended up with the search area containing the mysterious red dot. I didn't have a fantastic feeling about this situation, but no one seemed to care.

I tried one more time to convince them to let me do the recon alone. I wouldn't be responsible for their deaths should someone run into Nikovage, but again, no one seemed to care about my opinion.

"We've been over this," Kipps ground out, clearly exasperated with my repeated attempts to shut down the mission. "We'll cover more ground quicker. The sooner we're in, the sooner we're out. We each have our area and we each have a radio. We'll be fine."

I glanced around for something wooden and rapped my fist against it superstitiously.

Since no one was budging, I checked the trunk of my car. Ax, check. Wooden stakes, check. Fully charged walkie-talkie programed to channel three, check.

The Stolls showed Charlie how to use the hand-held radio once more and we started off.

The shaded chunk of forest on the map was sectioned off from the rest of the woods by access roads and private properties. It was a mile or so south of the lake, where a row of private properties with acreage were built. Charlie and Sam were working on this side of the forest. To the east, a river that fed the lake created a natural boarder. Travis would be heading south down the river while Dean headed north. I had scored the segment between Connor and Kipps, who was dropping Dean off along the way. Sam was going to deliver Charlie, I was tasked with dropping Connor off, and Travis would be driving his own car.

"Channel three!" Kipps reminded us as we climbed into our respective vehicles.

Connor seemed ill at ease in the passenger seat as I aggressively backed down the driveway and started down the road around the lake. For the most part, we rode in silence until Connor spotted the dirt access road.

"Here it is," he said.

I pulled off the main road and slowed down, bumping mercilessly over the uneven track. Carefully, I studied the odometer, remembering the exact directions Kipps had provided. He was quite adept with maps and had started spewing all these technical terms regarding our search grid. I had dubiously stared back and when he asked if I knew what I was doing, I claimed I did. Sure, I was slightly directionally challenged, but with a compass, I knew I couldn't get too lost.

"Dropping Connor off," I reported over the radio, slowing to a stop.

"See you in a bit," Connor said, sliding out the passenger side.

I nodded and accelerated away. A few miles down the road, I pulled to the side and hopped out. Since I was just walking the forest and wasn't anticipating running into a horde of vampires, I armed myself with Merlin's ax, a long silver dagger, and two stakes. I radioed in my position after hearing that Dean had been dropped off and that Travis was entering the woods, then clipped the walkie-talkie to my belt, the volume turned low.

I stood at the edge of the forest and, for possibly the first time in my hunting career, I hesitated.

Something told me not to step between the trees that stretched upward until they bled together in a hodgepodge canopy of fresh spring growth and rough tree trunk. Beams of sun sliced through the leaves at random, creating a complex labrynth of light beams between the shadowy, twisted tree trunks. Birds chirped, yet there was an eerie silence to the forest that made my skin crawl. This was a wicked place.

My left hand stole its way to my neck and I wrapped my fingers around a chunky silver crucifix. I didn't consider myself extremely religious, but I knew the crucifix was a powerful symbol.

"Stop stalling," I whispered to myself.

I set my shoulders and plunged into the trees without a second thought. Patches undergrowth grew in thick clumps and I picked my way through them, ax at the ready, ears straining for anything out of place. Plants tangled with the laces of my boots, but I trudged on, glancing down at my compass. I was to head due east for about five miles before doubling back and then heading back east. It wasn't a perfect system, but it would have to do.

The first hour and a half or so went smoothly. The woods were silent, and the only movement was either from the wind or from animals scampering to get out of my way. I made it to the five mile mark, headed south for several long minutes, and started doubling back. If I paced it right, I would make one more trip east and instead of walking straight west to reach the access road as I walked the southern border of the forest, I would zigzag from south to north to complete a sort of grid pattern within. I wouldn't be covering every square foot of the forest, but I would be covering enough of it to hopefully notice if anything stood out. And identify the mysterious red dot.

"Elodie, check in. Over," Kipps ordered over the radio.

I unclipped the radio from my belt and adjusted the volume before pressing down on one of the buttons.

"All good. Over and out."

As I walked, I listened to Kipps chat with everyone. Charlie still hadn't mastered the radio and we got a very garbled message, but everything seemed in order. He had promised that if anything went wrong, he would still be able to contact us with magic. He had neglected to fill us in on the details, which seemed ominous at best, but I trusted his judgement. Someone didn't work with dragons if they lacked common sense. He could handle himself, even if he didn't have the same experience as the rest of us.

The wind shifted and I caught a strange scent. Whatever it was, it was putrid, that was for sure. It rang a bell, but it took a moment for me to put my finger on what, exactly, it was.

Death. Decay. Decomposition.

There was something dead in the woods. Honestly, that wasn't a very surprising revelation. I was out in nature, wandering in a place that wasn't often traversed by humans. Of course there were going to be dead things. It was the circle of life.

And yet...hairs on the back of my neck prickled and a strange, heavy feeling pooled in the pit of my stomach. It wasn't pleasant and I couldn't fight it. My body was telling me something was wrong, and I would have been a fool to downplay it. Semiconsciously, I tightened my grip on the ax as I continued to move through the trees, a little more cognizant and mindful of the placement of my feet. One wrong step could give away my location to whatever or whoever was hidden in the forest with me.

Why the hell had I allowed the others to convince me this was a good idea? That was the last time I let someone override my good judgement.

The radio on my belt crackled and I reached down to switch it off. Kipps and the others could chew me out for it later, but right now, I had to worry about myself.

The smell was growing stronger and heavier. I gave up on my westward path and followed the scent, my heartrate increasing with every step. Something became visible through the bunched tree trunks. It was a dull red and stood out among the drab browns, greens, and grays of the woods.

I crept forward cautiously, ducking from one piece of cover to the next. Once I could finally make out the thing, I stopped and crouched between two trees behind a bush and studied what appeared to be a dilapidated structure. The paint was sun faded despite the building being in a tiny clearing in the middle of the trees. If I had to estimate, we were probably still a mile or so from the road I had come in on. Perhaps there was a trail or something.

Was it an old barn? The angle of the roof seemed to indicate it was, as did the style of thick trim around the windows. But something was off. Yes! There was fresh-cut plywood patching a gaping hole in the roof and another piece propped up inside, visible through one of the windows. Someone had been here recently.

There was no question: the smell was coming from inside. It was so strong it was almost its own presence. My eyes were watering and I almost gagged as I wove my way through the trees, trying to get closer. I choked on the air and nearly heaved up the contents of my stomach as I closed in on the barn. It was about fifteen feet away now, and I was out of pieces of cover.

I dried my eyes with the back of my hands, adjusted my grip on the ax, and made a calculated decision. Certain I was alone, I darted forward and pressed myself against the side of the barn, breathing heavily while trying not to breathe at all. The ground tilted and for a brief moment, I thought I would pass out.

Then I looked through the window and nearly did.

Just a sliver of light pierced through the open window, but it was enough to reveal the horrors that were hidden inside. The sunlight kissed the ashy upturned palm of a hand. The skin was gray and rotten, clearly in a late stage of decomposition. And it was attached to a body. And that body was haphazardly sprawled across the dirt floor of the barn, leaning up against another corpse.

My eyes adjusted to the dim lighting and my heart stopped for a moment as bile crept up my esophagus. How I managed to get my stomach in order while maintaining control of my bladder was a complete miracle because the sight was truly terrifying.

Bodies cluttered the space. So many bodies.

Suddenly, flight mode kicked on and I pushed away from the barn, making a mad dash for the tree line. Even a few feet of distance made all the difference in the world. The air felt clearer and I managed to gulp down a breath that didn't make me want to puke.

Then a twig snapped.

My stomach gave out and, for the second time in a few short moments, my heart stopped.

Nikovage.

June 19th, 2003
Denton Valley, New York

Sheriff Station

"Wait," Hotchner said, interrupting the conversation. "How many bodies did you see?"

I glanced down at my hands and considered the question.

"I'm not sure, but it was a lot. Like, I could make out about ten bodies, but they were stacked on top of what I presume are more bodies." The words were hard to say and memories of the barn flashed through my head. For a haunting moment, all I could smell was the overpowering stentch of decomposing bodies. "It was...I've...I've seen a lot as the Slayer, but this one takes the cake. It is the single most disturbing thing I have ever seen."

There was a sober moment of silence.

"Could you point to the location on a map?" Doctor Reid asked, glancing over at Hotchner. They shared a silent conversation, but it wasn't hard to tell what they were communicating about.

"It would only be a rough guess, but all you need to do is take a cadaver dog into the clearing where you arrested me and head south. It will take you there," I promised. "Just, make sure your stomach is empty and you don't have plans to eat in the following few days.

"Unfortunately, the discovery sort of confirmed one of our theories, and it was that the Blood Sect wasn't interested in turning vampires. They were interested in killing."

"When did the Blood Sect re-emerge the third time?" Doctor Reid asked.

"We did the legwork on that after scouring the woods and estimate that it has been at least a year, probably eighteen months. While there were plenty of bodies inside, it certainly wasn't enough to match the four-day pattern, but it was close."

Reid looked a bit green and shaken. He was silent for a moment.

"I'm going to make a call," Hotchner declared.

"I'll wait. You'll want to hear this next part."

June 16th, 2003

Denton Valley, New York

Nearby Woods

Several things raced through my mind.

First and foremost, I accepted the fact that I was going to die. Why, oh, why hadn't I relied my own judgement? Alban had warned me repeatedly to only trust myself, yet I'd let hunters, demigods, a wizard, and a hard-nosed Ranger push a boundary. I was the one who had to pay for that fatal mistake.

Second, I realized that the others were in danger. When I failed to check in, they would know something was wrong and stumble upon Nikovage, who would kill them too. Then the Watchers Council and Rangers would be back at square one. I had to lead Nikovage away. The road wasn't too far, and I was the goddamn Slayer for crying out loud. I could outrun him long enough to draw him as far away as possible.

Third, I was frozen like an idiot, just waiting for Nikovage to strike.

Something inside me snapped and I took off in a dead sprint, dashing through the trees, bushes, and boulders, hurdling over undergrowth, roots, and uneven patches of earth. For once, I didn't doubt my internal compass and trusted that I was heading west as slivers of sun flashed through my eyes, effectively ruining my adjusted eyes.

Twigs snapped underfoot and branches broke as I barreled through the trees, blazing a trail. I didn't dare look back, for fear that I would trip. The second I lost control was the second I signed my own death warrant.

Nikovage was keeping up behind me. I heard him crashing through the undergrowth and sucking down ragged gasps of air. He threw something, which sliced through the air a few fractions of an inch from my left ear. I redoubled my efforts, sacrificing some of my forward momentum for a more unpredictable pattern as I darted through the maze of tree trunks, a million thoughts racing through my head.

I would never go home again. I would never see my family again. I would never see Alban again. I would never see my new friends again. I would never solve this case or kill the vampire I'd vowed to destroy. I would never...

Vampires didn't breathe.

The thought struck me light a lightning bolt striking a rod in an electrical storm and I almost stopped running.

Vampires didn't breathe! Whoever was racing after me was gasping louder than a congested elephant running a marathon. It was living.

I risked a glance over my shoulder and immediately picked out the figure. He had a dark head of hair. That was the only detail I could pick out from this distance, but it was all I needed. Relief surged through my body and a very rough plan formed in my head.

My limbs were exhausted, but I forced myself to cover a few more yards. A large rock formation dominated a section of trees. I scrambled up the side and dropped down over the far edge, finally coming to a halt.

Whoever was hot on my heals was able to keep up with me. That was something that bugged me, because I could easily outrun just about anyone. He was also armed. Whatever projectile that had flown past me had been nearly accurate and we'd been moving quickly over rough terrain. It hadn't been fired from a gun; I would have heard a gunshot. And there had been a presence to the projectile. Something told me it was most likely a throwing knife, throwing star, or an arrow. I tried to remember hearing it impact somewhere, but the noise hadn't registered with me.

Fast, armed, precise.

Nikovage may not have been the one on my tail, but I wasn't out of the woods yet. This wasn't looking very promising.

I scooped up a fist-sized stone and lobbed it to my left. Seconds after it landed in a fern, an arrow pierced the ground. I watched the entire shaft vibrate violently and ground my teeth.

Vampires were one thing, but armed assailants were another class entirely. He had a long-range weapon while I was saddled with an unweighted dagger and a battle ax. I didn't even know my location and I was so far from the others that even if I was able to stall, they wouldn't make it in time.

I tried to quiet my breathing so I could focus on the other noises and hopefully pinpoint where the archer was. From my position, there was a tiny outcrop of rock overhead. Hopefully it shielded me from above should the archer opt for a vantage point, but it also offered him the same protection.

He had the advantage when it came to distance, but in close range, I had the edge. The tiniest of edges, but it was an edge nonetheless.

The forest was silent again. Even the birds had quieted and the breeze had stilled. I allowed my eyes to close and strained my ears, desperate for any clue. There was the tiniest of scuffs, but I couldn't decide which direction it had come from.

My fingers wrapped around another stone and I debated what to do. This was not an ideal situation. I should have kept running and prayed that I could outpace him. Then again, maybe he would have picked me off with an arrow. But I couldn't' dwell. Not now, not when there was still a chance.

I closed my eyes one more time and listened carefully. Instincts urged me to pivot to the right. I lobbed the stone with my left hand against the stones I was using as cover. It ricocheted with an impressive clatter, shooting off into the woods where it smacked into the side of a tree with a sharp crack before falling into a bush.

The archer stepped out in front of me, an arrow drawn all the way back. As soon as he saw me, he leased the arrow.

Somehow, I managed to bring my ax up. A millisecond later, the broadhead attached to the arrow smashed into metal and fell. Before it hit the dirt, I was lunging forward, knocking the bow aside with the cheek of one of the ax heads. It landed in a prickly bush a few feet away.

"Jiggs up, man," I said prematurely.

The young man snatched a canister from his belt, held it overhead, and shouted. The strangest thing happened--besides this weirdo chasing me through the woods with a bow and then holding an innocuous tube over his head while shouting vaguely Biblical names. A blade of pure white light sprung out of the end.

"The f--"

He lunged forward and I barely managed to parry with the blade of my ax. All of my training had taught me that an axman had an advantage over a swordsman. And since this guy's blade was barely pushing two feet, I certainly had the reach advantage.

That didn't stop him. He was inhumanly fast as he lunged and thrusted, but I fought back, wearing down his defenses. After about a minute, I smashed the cheek of my ax into his blade and the force of the blow was enough to tear it from his hands.

"Okay, buddy," I growled. "Who are you?"

He was a fighter, that was for sure. Barehanded, he launched himself forward, which was more than enough to catch me unawares. What sort of suicidal idiot took on someone with an ax without a weapon--after losing twice before?

Merlin's ax skittered across the forest floor, landing in the same thorny bush as the archer's bow. We grappled back and forth, neither of us gaining the upper hand. Somehow, he sort of ended up sitting on me. My arms were pinned painfully under my back and my legs were bent at a painful angle, already starting to cramp. Why was he as strong and fast as me?

"Who are you?" he demanded, his voice dangerously low.

His face was inches from mine and his blue eyes bore into my own eyes as if he was searching my very soul for answers. Since I had a feeling I was going to die, I decided to go out on a truthful note.

"Elodie LaBerge. I'm the Vampire Slayer."

That caught his attention. He cussed colorfully but didn't release me.

"What are you doing here?" he asked.

"Hunting. I thought you were my quarry, so this is actually a pleasant surprise."

"Why would you run from your quarry?"

"It's a bit of a complicated story, but the long and short of it is that I don't know how to kill him, which is really embarrassing," I explained. He seemed so casual about the mention of my prey and my allusion to it being human(ish). Disturbingly cool. "And you?"

"I assume you know what the Shadowhunters are?"

"The what?"

His expression faltered. After a second, he eased up and sat down on the ground beside me. I pushed up into a semi-comfortable position, hyperaware of his every movement.

"I assume you know your history?"

I nodded. "Of course."

"The Shadowmen and the Shadowhunters come from very similar origins. They both serve the angels."

"Angels?" I repeated. I'd never learned about angels during training.

"Yes, angels. They made the Shadowhunters to protect Mundanes from the Shadow World. Shadowhunters kill demons and monsters, much like you. Centuries ago, angels created both the Shadowhunter and the Shadowmen. The Shadowmen created the Slayer, so indirectly, you are a product of angel intervention on earth. The way the Shadowhunters see it, the Shadowmen made the Slayer because they were frustrated with us. They believed that the body of government we serve under binds and constricts us too much. So they made their own warrior that didn't have to comply with the same regulations."

The gears in my head whirred as I tried to comprehend what he was saying. Angels? There was no way, yet he clearly knew my history, possibly better than I did. Besides, he spoke with such conviction.

"Who are you?" I asked again.

"Alec Lightwood, New York Institute," he introduced, sticking out his hand. Hesitantly, I accepted.

"What brings you to these woods?"

"I'm hunting as well. I know the vampires are protected by the Accords, but I have strong evidence that three of them broke their word. I tracked them from the city out here."

Vampires from the city coming here? Were they cult members?

"Well, I'll take care of it. I'm sort of in the middle of a huge investigation that centers around a vampire I know is operating in the area. Your mess will no-doubt get sorted out as we wrap up our investigation," I promised.

"Our?"

"Well, I've sort of assembled a team, but we're essentially consulting for the Rangers, if you know who they are."

Judging by the massive groan Alec let out, he knew exactly what I was dealing with.

"Kipps? Is he here?" he asked.

"Yeah, how did you know?" I was a little blown away by all the connections Alec seemed to have. How did he know more about me and the Rangers than I did?

"We've had our...run-ins," Alec said, deciding not to give any further details. "If he's here, I'd like to stick around as well. I'm sure he could use a helping hand."

Alec clearly had other motives. There appeared to be no love lost between the two men, and I wondered what their previous encounters had entailed. Would their history get in the way of the investigation? Or was it the perfect way to get back at him for putting me in this situation?

Definitely the latter, because I was feeling petty. I'd resigned myself to death because of Kipps!

"Well, then, welcome to the team. I can assure you that your world is about to get a whole lot more complicated, but we'll sort that out back at the cabin. First things first, though."

I had to report in.

I flicked on my radio and cautiously watched as Alec gathered weapons. A few arrows had fallen free of his quiver and he picked these up as well. He even handed back my ax. As I reached out to accept it, I noticed the intricate web of black symbols tattooed on his arms and made a mental note to ask about them later.

"Hey, Kipps?" I said.

"Elodie! Why haven't you been checking in?"

"Long story," I said slowly. "The mark on the map indicated a barn that is filled with rotting corpses. In other news, I found a friend of yours! Alec Lightwood? He's joining the team."

Somehow, Travis got on the radio first, beating Kipps.

"Corpses?"

Before I could respond, Kipps butted in.

"Lightwood?" he demanded. "Tell him to go home. There are already far too many cooks in the kitchen."

"Too late, I already offered. Five minutes ago, I thought Nikovage was chasing after me, not Alec. I thought I was going to die, so if Alec wants to join the investigation, I have no qualms. We'll meet you back at the cabin. Connor, when will you be ready for pick up?"

"We're a democracy!" Kipps argued. "You don't get to make the decisions here!"

"Then we'll decide back at the cabin," I said, determined to hold my ground. "Connor?"

"Give me twenty minutes."

"Roger that. Over and out." I clipped the radio back to my belt and turned to Alec. "Welcome to the team. My car's this way. How'd you get here?"

"I took a portal and hoofed it."

Portal? Great, another explanation. Since I figured everyone--except Kipps, perhaps--would want to hear about it, I decided not to ask too many questions. Alec probably didn't want to spend the day repeating himself.

"And these vamps?"

"Part of the New York Clan, but they've broken several laws, including killing two Mundanes. They're fair game now, and since my brother and sister were busy, I decided to deal with it myself. It was supposed to be an easy mission."

"Do you believe in fate?" I asked, weaving my way around a large boulder.

"I believe that fate exists to screw people over."

I laughed.

"You know the legend of Merlin?" Alec nodded. "Well, he's an acquaintance, and fate screwed him worse than anyone else, yet he still believes in it. I think he would say it's fate that we met. He'd say it's fate I met everyone else on this investigation."

"And how many people are involved?"

"You make eight."

As we walked, I filled him in on my team. Perhaps I was a little too brutally honest because I spared no detail. By the time we'd reached the car, I had a feeling Alec was reconsidering his choice to join us and strategizing the best way to get the others to vote against him.

I checked in with Connor, who said he was waiting on the side of the road. We picked him up and returned to the cabin.

Somehow, we were the first back. While Connor and Alec chatted awkwardly in the great room, I shut myself in the downstairs bathroom and leaned over the toilet bowl. Now that the adrenaline and fear were gone, I couldn't shake the memory of the barn. All I could smell was the fetid, stifling air. It felt so real.

The door to the house crashed open and I heard an exchange of words before someone started rapping on the bathroom door.

"'Lodie?" Travis called tersely.

I chose that moment to vomit. As I heaved into the toilet, the door clicked open and Travis rushed in, dropping down beside me. He pulled my braids back and snagged my crucifix before it could get in the way. I vomited again before rocking back. Travis pulled a twig out of my hair and dusted dirt off my back.

"Are you okay?" he asked.

"Just...please leave me alone, Travis. I know you mean well, but I can't deal with anyone right now," I managed, barely keeping my voice in check and the tears at bay.

"Okay," he said softly, standing up. He glanced back once before exiting the bathroom and pulling the door shut.

I flushed the toilet then leaned back against the wall and promptly dissolved into sobs. There was nothing like thinking you were going to die to destroy your self-confidence. I felt flustered, angry, vulnerable. I wanted to punch something--or, more accurately, someone--and scream but I also wanted the others to respect me, so I just let the tears fall.

In the other room, I could hear someone else arriving, followed by raised voices. Kipps, I assumed, had made a triumphant return and was now giving Alec Lightwood a piece of his mind. I also heard Dean.

"Where's LaBerge?"

"Blowing chunks in the bathroom," Connor replied.

That felt like a kick to the stomach. I forced myself to my feet and rinsed my mouth out with water from the faucet. Then I looked at myself in the mirror and tried not to cringe. I was not a pretty crier. My eyes were puffy and my cheeks were red and blotchy. I ran the edge of a spare hand towel from underneath the sink under cool water and blotted at my face.

When I emerged from the bathroom, it was evident I had been crying, but frankly, I didn't care that much. I was pissed off, and I wasn't afraid to show it.

As soon as I stepped through the kitchen, Kipps rounded on me. He was already flushed in the face, probably from yelling at Alec for whatever transgressions had occurred in the past.

I forestalled him with a vicious glare and held out my hand.

"I do not want to talk to you right now," I said. Alec smirked and I turned my attention to him. "Have introductions been made?" He shook his head. "Alright, then. Hi everybody, I'm Elodie LaBerge and I'm this generations Vampire Slayer."

"Hi, Elodie," Connor, Travis, and Dean chanted.

We went around in a circle for hopefully the last time making introductions. Alec explained a little about his heritage. He was a member of the New York Shadowhunter Institute and the markings on his arms were called runes. They gave him inhuman abilities, such as agility and speed. That was how he kept up with me.

"Nice to meet you, Alec," Sam said before turning to me. "What the hell happened?"

I sat down on the floor in front of one of the leather armchairs, wrapping my arms around my bent knees. For a minute, I struggled to find the right words. When I found them, I explained what I'd seen at the barn.

"Then I heard Alec, and my first thought was that it was Nikovage," I said, running my hands over my face.

There was a stunned silence as that sank in. I didn't have to elaborate further because they understood the fear that had jolted through my body and paralyzed my limbs.

"Oh my gods," Connor whispered.

"I know that every time I go out on a hunt, it could be my last. But this...it felt different. It was terrible," I whispered. "Thinking that no matter how hard I fought, I couldn't kill him. Nikovage won't leave me alive again."

"What do you mean you couldn't kill him?" Alec asked.

Dean started to explain, but Kipps cut him off, which was probably a good call. He relayed all of our discoveries to Alec, who listened with a scowl.

"By the angel," he whispered a few times.

Idly, I traced a finger over the ribs that Nikovage had broken in Boston, a feeling of helplessness washing over me. For a moment, I tuned out Kipps's words, but forced myself to pay attention again, right as Kipps delivered a key piece of information.

"The problem is, none of us have connections with elemental wizards."

"They prefer the term warlock," Alec said and a strange expression washed of Kipps's face. It almost looked like a smile.

"Magnus Bane," Kipps replied as if that was key to all our problems.

June 19th, 2003

Denton Valley, New York

Sheriff Station

"So this is where the Shadowhunters come into play. I'm a little sketchy on the details, but they have some sort of central government and a system of Institutions spread out around the world. Shadowhunters are trained from birth to hunt and they are a major player in keeping the demons in check. They refer to the Demon World as the Shadow World, and for them, it consists of downworlders, or demons and monsters, vampires and werewolves, the faeries, and warlocks. The Shadowhunters are essentially law enforcement, and they uphold some sort of accord system that was negotiated between the different groups, albeit the way understand it, it's quite bias toward the Shadowhunters, who believe themselves superior to everyone else.

"Their lore states that the angel Raziel gave some dude called Jonathan Shadowhunter these relics and angel blood and that the angel blood turned regular humans into superior beings. One of these relics was called the Mortal Cup, and Magnus and Merlin speculate that it's somehow related to the Cup of Life. Anyway, Shadowhunters can use the runes of the angels and they mark their skin with them using this tool called a stele--the Shadowhunter equivalent of a wand--and they make them super powerful. I was still pretty skeptical about the whole angel thing, but then the Winchesters claimed they were tight with some angels and if the Winchesters have seen it...well, they're not exactly the most reliable of sources, but it certainly made me open my mind.

"Any, that was a slightly unnecessary tangent. The important part was the connection between the Shadowhunter and the warlocks. You see, warlocks practice a form of elemental magic, and, as Kipps predicted, Magnus was the key," I said.

"And who is Magnus Bane?"

I smiled and leaned forward, pointing at a spot on the diagram I'd drawn.

"A warlock. A very powerful warlock. The High Warlock of Brooklyn, as it turns out. He's also several centuries old, very eccentric, and Alec's boyfriend. Interesting fellow, although we aren't exactly on fantastic terms. I think I should avoid Brooklyn for the foreseeable future, which is a total shame because the Dragon's Tavern seems like such a cool spot.

"Anyway, Kipps can be a smooth talker when he tries, and he somehow managed to talk Alec into calling Magnus. I have no idea what Alec said to Magnus, but he promised to do some research and get back to us. We finally had some downtime. Kipps and Sam kept researching, but we were still waiting to hear back from the Watchers and the Rangers about property owners, so I felt it was futile.

"I was so fed up with everyone that I tried to sleep, but whenever I closed my eyes, I saw the contents of the barn, so I ended up going for a drive and calling home."

I decided to spare them the details because it was unimportant to the context of the case, but that call had restored something within me. My family was a bit of a mess. Dad had passed a few years back and Mom had been a bit of a disaster ever since. My brother, however, was my rock. Monty was a few years older than me and had been with me for every step of my Slayerhood. I shared everything with him, and when I told him about what I felt in the woods after seeing the bodies, he knew exactly what to say to me.

When I had returned to the cabin, I felt a million times better.

For the first time in a few hours, I thought of Monty and my stomach dropped a little. What was he going to think when he learned I'd been arrested? Calling form the hospital after my initial encounter with Nikovage had been hard enough. Had it even crossed Alban's mind to call him? 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

968 114 30
*COMPLETED* Two girls find themselves back at Beacon Hills, their childhood home, and discover secrets that weren't shared, such as their one friend...
44.3K 1.1K 14
When a group of Potters and Weasleys, plus the odd Malfoy, are tasked with cleaning disused Grimmauld Place, they come across a surprising discovery...
27.6K 1.1K 23
In Victorian Era England, in a village a couple of days travel from London, there are many types of vampires, some being the Blood-suckers, the Biter...
54K 2.5K 29
. And you'll poke that bear 'til her claws come out And you find something to wrap your noose around And there's nothin' like a mad woman - Taylor Sw...