Loving Maya

By KatherineKeyz

"You expect me to forget everything?" His voice comes out as a whisper. "To act like it doesn't hurt me to se... More

Parties and Good Feelings
Drinks and Unwanted Images
Now I'm hearing things.
Nerves And Bathroom Breaks
"You're Maya Banks."
Universe Conspiracies And Day Outs
Arcades And Roommate Talks
Morning Talks And Lunch Dates
"I've missed you."
Not Goodbyes And Old Friends
Coconut Oils And Food Wars
New Roommates And Little Reunions
Memories and Dilemmas
Kisses And Heartbreaks
I'm Not Going To Hurt Max.
First Dates And Second Chances
Plans And A-Games
Flat Tyres And Pretty Priya
"I'm still sleepy."
He's with her now.
Birthday Parties And Weekend Plans
Radio Songs And Neighborhood Walks
Birthday Breakfasts And Midnight Cuddles
Sprains And Middle Names
Accidental Spills
Time And History
Just this moment.
Coffee And Biryani
I love you, Maya Banks.
Dancing In The Rain
Dinner Squabbles And Bad Jokes
Home Not So Sweet Home
Brown Envelopes And Afternoon Naps
"Yeah, what he said."
Lunch And Letters
Lunch And Letters
"What can I get you guys?"
Party Preps And Malls
Stars
Sundays In Centers
"Martha Coleman's letters."
Home
Prisons And Homes On Thanksgiving
200 billion galaxies
Theater And Pizza Dates
Night Clouds In A Paper Bag
Blasts From Our Pasts
"You're supposed to be in hell."
Seattle And Annalise
Dinner With Lilly
The Boy With The Bell
Gift Giving And Bianca's Birthday
Peyton Stories And New Plans
"Who's this slow one?"
I Thought She Was Gone
Another Encounter
"Is that my mother?"
"Love? Stupid love."
Another Crime And Tooth Fairies
Cherry Chapsticks And Mistletoes
"Can I join you kids?"
Fall
Uhm Not An Update

"I used to work for him."

1.7K 52 22
By KatherineKeyz

Maya's POV

I hold up the box in my hands and Brian grabs two more books.

"What are you guys doing for Christmas?" I ask him as he finds a place for the books on their modest bookshelf.

"Uhmm...Our friends in Australia invited us to come spend it with them but so did my family. We're thinking of going home."

He motions for the box and I lift it up again. He grabs the last book.

"Cry, The Beloved Country..." I read the words on the spine of the book. "Alan Paton."

"Have you read it?" He asks and I shake my head.

"Uh uh."

"It's a great read." I put the box down and he hands the book to me. "Did you know, the author finished it in this city?"

"Really?" I smile and open a page, my eyes scanning the words.

"I'm back!" Lilly announces as the front door swings open.

"Yay!" I dramatically clap my hands, jumping around and she rolls her eyes.

"I'll hit you." She laughs. "What are you doing here?"

"I was on my way to see Mason so I thought I'd drop by." I reply with a grin and sit on the couch.

"Hmm," she hums, making her way to Brian, "Hey, baby."

She gives him a kiss on the cheek and he smiles, giving her a side hug.

"What did you bring?" My eyes move to the recyclable cup holder in Lilly's hands. "Aww, you knew I was here?"

"What?" She looks at me with confusion.

"You have three cups. Those are Creams milkshakes right?" I stare at the cups and she quickly hides them behind her back.

"These are for Brian and I." She gasps. "I didn't know you were coming."

"There are three! Share with me." I whine.

"Two for Brian and I and one for the baby."

My excitement dies down as I sink back into the couch.

"Am I going to have to compete with the baby?" I whisper. "I was sure I'd have to compete with you."

"Don't be dramatic." Lilly laughs and Brian joins in.

"You can have mine, Maya." Brian offers, grabbing a cup from Lilly.

"Really?" I grin. "Thank you!"

"Don't you have money, a boyfriend, friends, secret admirers who can buy you food?"

"None of them are my favourite cousin and brother in law." I put the paper straw in my mouth and take a long sip.

"Your only cousin and brother in law." They reply simultaneously.

***

Mason's POV

I hold the door open as Maya steps into the fast food place. Two little girls follow behind her and I continue to hold the door open for them.

"Thank you!" The older one gives me a toothy smile.

"What?" I ask as I notice Maya grinning at me.

"Nothing." Her grins grows as she links her arm in mine.

"I can't believe Derwin found a job and didn't tell me."

"Hmm, I'm sure he has his reasons. Do you think they'll let us take him away from his work."

"I'm not sure," I say as we walk towards the counter, "but it's worth a try."

Ten minutes after speaking to the manager, Derwin appears from what looks like the kitchen. He's wearing a blue shirt covered by a black apron. I've only ever seen him in caps and the hair net looks very foreign on him.

"Maya? Mason?" He looks between the two of us with confusion.

"Derwin, these two wanna talk to you." The manager says with a cold tone, his arms folded.

"I'm not in any trouble." Derwin rolls his eyes.

"Sure." The manager replies before clicking his tongue and focusing on the books in front of him.

"We're sorry for any trouble we're causing." Maya is quick to apologise as soon as Derwin stands next to us.

"It's okay," Derwin smiles, "I don't mind if it's for you."

I glare at him and he chuckles, putting his hands up.

"What can I do for you?" He pulls out a chair from one of the tables and we sit down opposite him.

"We have a favour to ask you." Maya speaks.

"A favour?" Derwin raises a brow. "Sure."

"We just need some information from you."

"Information?" He smiles. "I don't think there's anything I can help you with. I mean, what's it about? School?"

"It's a different kind of information." This time I speak and Derwin's expression changes.

"What?" He slightly turns his head, as if to hear more clearly.

"I'm sorry we're involving you in this, it's just that our lives might be in danger and we need to find out the truth and know if we're allowing potential danger into our lives or if we can rest assured that nothing will happen to us." Maya says in one breath and once more, Derwin's expression shifts.

"It's okay, it's okay. What can I do?" He's quick to reply.

"Thank you." Maya releases a sigh of relief. "We need information on Mark Coleman..."

Derwin's eyes widen and he leans away from us, all the way back on his chair. Maya and I glance at each other in confusion.

"Mark Coleman," she continues, "we need information on Mark Coleman and his daughter Mary."

"I...Mark?" Derwin asks in disbelief.

"We don't want it from you," I explain, "we just need you to head us in the right direction. Tell us who or where we can ask."

Derwin remains silent for a minute or so and Maya and I exchange confused looks.

I guess he knows him.

"What do you guys even want with The Man? What do you have to do with him?" He directs the latter question to Maya.

"I used to work for him." I reply.

"And I... Somehow got entangled in the situation." Maya frowns.

"I'm not going to ask any more questions. He's childhood friends with my old boss. I have a few names that might give you what you want."

"Really?" Maya smiles. It's from relief, I conclude.

"Yeah. You said you might be in danger, why?"

"It's a long story..." Maya smile turns sheepish.

"I'm the one that put him behind bars." I state and panic immediately occupies Maya's eyes.

"You're kidding me. How are you alive to tell the story?" Derwin's eyes widen from the shock.

"Is it safe to tell him?" Maya asks.

"I trust him." I give Derwin a small smile and he nods. Maya still seems uneasy.

I know Derwin, he'll do his own digging before he involves himself in anything. If he won't want to do this, it's better he tells us now.

"You got a pen?" He asks.

Maya nods before opening her bag and rummaging through it. She returns her hand to the table, holding out a pen to Derwin.

He slowly takes it and removes one of the small menus from the stack on the table.

We watch silently as he scribbles something next to the price of a plate of chicken wings.

"Here." He slides it to us along with the pen.

I take both and my eyes read the words he has written.

Stan

Noodles

"Just remember that nothing is given for free."

***

Maya's POV

"I'm starving..." Bianca sighs as she gets into my car.

"Then you will love me for this." I reply with a grin, pointing to the paper bags in the backseat."

"I love you!" She squeals as she extends her hand to grab one of the bag of food from her favourite fast food.

"Thanks for picking me up." She says.

"I mean I kind of owe you for all the months you were my personal chauffer." I give her a sheepish grin as I reverse out of the parking lot.

"I should've been demanding McDonald's as payment."

"Hmm! Too late." I laugh.

It's Friday so we thought of spending the evening with the guys. We'll watch a movie and stuff our faces with whatever we could buy.

"So what are we watching?"

"I don't know," I shrug, "Justin said he's choosing."

"So a musical?" She smiles.

"Or action." I smile.

Those are the only two genres Justin always choses from.

"By the way, what's up with him?" She focuses her attention on me and I glance in her direction. "He hasn't been himself. He tries to joke and goof around but..."

"It's his parents." I sigh. "He feels like his life isn't headed in any direction and they keep trying to make him feel like a failure."

"Damn," She frowns, "his mom is so sweet but so..."

"Snobbish." I wrinkle my forehead.

I mean no insult to the woman but the only reason she can't stand the idea of Justin not attending college is because it'll ruin her "perfect" family.

"Nevermind that, I think this girl in my Economics class likes me." She giggles.

"What?" I beam, staring wide eyed at her. "Do tell."

"I don't know, she just randomly compliments me and I've caught her staring in my direction a few times."

"Really?" I grin, taking a turn into Jesse's street. "What's she like?"

"She's cute and sweet and shy and just my type." Another giggle.

"Since when do you have a type?" I laugh.

"Since her."

I glance at her and smile. It makes me so happy to see her all giddy and blushing.

I park my car in front of the house and Bianca and I make our way out.

"Should we go in with the food?" Bianca asks, lifting the paper bag she'd been holding on to the whole trip.

"Nah, don't worry, someone will be out to get it in a minute." I grin and she laughs, knowing who I'm referring to.

Justin returns a few minutes later, all the bags of food somehow safely in the clasps of his hands.

"Who's getting the plates?" He asks as he sets the food down on the coffee table.

"I'll get them." Chris offers, standing up.

"What are we watching?" I sit down next to Mason. I lay my head on his shoulder and he brings his arm up to my waist.

"Mamma something..." Max frowns from confusion as he tries to remember the movie. "Someone's mamma... I don't really know."

"Mamma Mia! Here we go again." Justin rolls his eyes. "I'm telling you, you'll love it."

"Ooh! Yay!" Bianca claps her hands excitedly. "Cher, Merily Streep and Amanda Seyfried."

"You like it?" Max asks with a smile, sitting next to Bianca.

"Yeah," She smiles shyly and quickly looks away at the food.

Chris walks in with a pile of plates and puts them on the table. He resumes his seat on the couch.

"I would honestly rather watch The Notebook than this." He complains.

"Shh! I know you're a closeted Nicholas Sparks fan but just watch this movie tonight."

"I am not!" Chris is quick to defend. "I'm a proud supernatural and sci-fi fan."

"Those are boring!" Justin complains.

"Boring?" Chris gasps. "They're-"

"Where's Jesse?" Bianca asks, looking around, trying to stop these two before they start bickering.

"He hasn't come out of his room since yesterday afternoon." Max replies.

He takes a bowl of popcorn from the table and offers it to Bianca. She grabs a handful before he puts it between them.

The doorbell rings and we all look up.

"That must be Priya." Mason states. "It's open!"

"Hi, guys!" Priya's bright and excited smile lights up the room.

"Hey!" We chorus as she walks over to us, bags of chips in her hands. "I didn't know what to bring."

"These are perfect." Justin is quick to his feet, his eyes moving between Priya and the chips. "Let me help you down."

He takes the snacks from her and carefully helps her onto one of the cushions on the floor. Forgetting his seat on the couch, Justin sits next to her, adjacent Bianca and Max.

Bianca looks up at him but his eyes cannot seem to leave Priya. Justin says something that makes her giggle and a soft frown appears on his face.

"Priya," he says, getting up, "let me see what you have there."

"Oh!" Priya takes a packet from Justin and holds it up.

Max sits next to her, placing her between Justin and him.

As I look back at Bianca, she stares down at the empty space next to her. Her earlier shy smile has disappeared.

I frown.

How can I help her get over him? I can't hold my breath hoping that Max will someday like her back.

"What are you thinking about?" Mason whispers.

I look up at him and he smiles, causing me to do the same.

"Nothing." I say and he nods.

"Don't worry about anything. Just relax and let's enjoy whatever La La Land craziness Justin wants us to watch." He chuckles.

"You watched La La Land?" I laugh.

"Don't put words in my mouth." He complains and I laugh again.

"Everybody! Shh!!" It's starting! Nobody speak or even make a sound." Justin warns.

Six minutes later, he's breaking into song and getting up, the remote now a mic.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

89.4K 1.3K 31
Enemies to lovers❤️ Imagine if your worst enemy would move in RIGHT NEXT TO YOUR HOUSE? This book about Grayson and Isabella will tell you how she ex...
7K 221 24
• Friends to enemies to lovers • Dark themes • Situations some readers might find offensive *** Never did I expect to find Trouble in New York (oh...
7.3M 190K 44
When Charlotte agrees to fake date bad boy Mason to make her best friend and secret crush, Ben, jealous, she thinks it will be a simple arrangement...
2.2M 73.6K 45
It took every ounce of my willpower not to reciprocate his kiss. Our lips moved in flawless synchrony. I trembled as I felt his tongue tracing my low...