Discovery

By mylovefredweasley

Ella Hart believed her life was completely ordinary. Well, as ordinary as it could be for a witch. But what... More

foreword
01.
02.
03.
04.
05.
06.
07.
08.
09.
10.
11.
12.
13.
14.
15.
16.
17.
18.
19.
20.
21.
22.
23.
24.
25.
26.
27.
28.
29.
30.
31.
32.
33.
34.
35.
36.
37.
38.
39.
40.
41.
42.
43.
44.
46.
47.
48.
49.
50.
51.
52.
53.
54.
55.
56.
57.
58.
59.
60.
61.
62.
63.
64.
65.
66.
67.
68.
69.
70.
71.
72.
73.
74.
75.
76.
77.
78.
79.
80.
81.
82.
83.
84.
85.
86.
87.
88.
89.
90.
91.
92.
93.
94.
95.
96.
97.
98.
99.
100.
101.
102.
103.
104.
105.
106.
107.
108.

45.

1.1K 27 2
By mylovefredweasley

I got up earlier than usual the following morning, even before the sun had risen. Falling back asleep seemed out of the picture, so I headed down to the common room for some alone time.

You can imagine my surprise when I saw Fred, George, and Lee already seated around a table.

"What are you boys doing?" I questioned, crossing my arms in a way too similar to Professor McGonagall.

Fred looked up at me and grinned.

"Ella!" he said brightly, pulling my arm and bringing me over to the table. "We're working on our advertisement for testers."

"What have you got so far?" I leaned over Fred's shoulder to read the paper.

GALLONS OF GALLEONS!
Pocket money failing to keep pace with your outgoings?
Like to earn a little extra gold?

Contact Fred and George Weasley,
Gryffindor common room,
for simple, part-time, virtually painless jobs

(We regret that all work is undertaken at applicant's own risk)

"Those poor first years won't know what they're getting into," I chuckled.

***

First day of lessons was just as boring as the previous four years. But of course, every professor felt the need to mention O.W.L.s, which every fifth year student would be required to take.

At the end of the day, I entered the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom with Harry, Ron, and Hermione.

Professor Umbridge was already seated at her desk, wearing a hideous pink cardigan.

"Well, good afternoon!" she said when finally the whole class had sat down.

There were a few half-hearted replies.

"Tut, tut," said Professor Umbridge. "That won't do, now, will it? I should like you, please, to reply 'Good afternoon, Professor Umbridge.' One more time, please. Good afternoon class!"

I could already tell that this lady was going to make my fifth year miserable.

"Wands away and quills out, please." said Professor Umbridge when we finished greeting her.

Many of the class exchanged gloomy looks. There was never an interesting lesson that didn't require wands.

My suspicions had been absolutely right. Professor Umbridge instructed us to read chapter one of our book, Defensive Magical Theory. It was quite as bad as listening to Professor Binns drone on about some ancient wizarding culture.

I began to reread the same sentence of the page, barely trying to pay attention. Next to me, Hermione hadn't even opened her copy of the book and had her hand in the air.

"I've got a query about your course aims," said Hermione when Umbridge finally called on her. "There's nothing written about using defensive spells."

"Using defensive spells?" Umbridge repeated with a little laugh. "Why, I can't imagine any situation arising in my classroom that would require you to use a defensive spell."

"We're not going to use magic?" Ron said loudly.

"You will be learning about defensive spells in a secure, risk-free way—" Professor Umbridge said in her falsely sweet voice.

"What use is that?" said Harry loudly. "If we're going to be attacked it won't be in a—"

"Hand, Mr. Potter!" sang Umbridge.

Now multiple people had their hands in the air, myself included.

"I do not wish to criticize the way things have been run in this school," she said, "but you have been exposed to some very irresponsible wizard in this class, not to mention extremely dangerous half-breeds."

"If you mean Professor Lupin," piped up Dean Thomas angrily, "he was the best we ever—"

"Hand, Mr. Thomas!"

Parvati's hand shot up now, but she did not wait to be called on.

"Isn't there a practical bit in our Defense Against the Dark Arts O.W.L.?"

"As long as you have studied the theory hard enough, there is no reason why you should not be able to perform the spells under fully controlled examination conditions," said Professor Umbridge dismissively.

"And what good's theory going to be in the real world?" said Harry loudly.

"This is school, Mr. Potter, not the real world," she said softly.

"So we're not supposed to be prepared for what's waiting out there?"

"There is nothing waiting out there, Mr. Potter. Who do you imagine wants to attack children like yourselves?" inquired Professor Umbridge.

"Hmm, let's think..." said Harry in a mock thoughtful voice, "maybe Lord Voldemort?"

The classroom was silent and still.

"Ten points from Gryffindor, Mr. Potter. Now, let me make a few things quite plain." Umbridge stood up and leaned over her desk. "You have been told that a certain Dark wizard has returned from the dead—"

"He wasn't dead," said Harry angrily, "but yeah, he's returned!"

"As I was saying, you have been informed that a certain Dark wizard is at large once again. This is a lie." Umbridge said.

"It's not a lie!" I spoke up, finally reaching by boiling point. "Harry was there! Don't you think he would know?"

"Hand, Miss—?" Professor Umbridge said with a slight frown.

"Hart," I replied.

"Well, Miss Hart, you just earned yourself a detention along with Mr. Potter. Tomorrow evening. Five o'clock. My office." she said triumphantly.

I sensed my hair turning a fiery red. Hermione noticed right away, and elbowed me in the rib.

"Ow?!" I snapped.

"Settle down, Ella, you don't need another detention." she hissed.

"You will kindly continue your reading." Umbridge instructed the class. "Page five, 'Basics for Beginners.'"

Professor Umbridge sat behind her desk again. Harry, however, stood up.

"So, according to you, Cedric Diggory dropped dead of his own accord, did he?" Harry asked, his voice shaking.

"Cedric Diggory's death was a tragic accident," Umbridge said coldly.

I don't think any color of my hair could explain the amount of anger I felt.

"It was murder. Voldemort killed him." Harry said.

"Come here, Mr. Potter," Umbridge said with a sweet voice. "Take this to Professor McGonagall, dear,"

She got a small roll of pink parchment and started scribbling. Nobody spoke. After a minute or so she rolled up the parchment and handed it to Harry. He took the note from her without saying a word and left the room, slamming the door shut behind him.

"He's right, and you know it." I snarled, breaking the silence.

"Miss Hart, if you choose to keep speaking in my class without raising your hand, I will have no choice but to give you a whole week's detention." Umbridge said, looking fed up. 

My hand shot up.

"Ella, stop it." Hermione whispered urgently.

"Page five! Begin reading!" Umbridge said, ignoring my raised hand.

"Oh yeah, let's continue reading about spells that we'll never be able to practice. That's going to help us defend ourselves against Death Eaters for sure!" I said sarcastically.

"Miss Hart!" Umbridge raised her voice.

"Oh yes, how silly of me! The Death Eaters will be no problem with our skill level. It's Voldemort you need to watch out for."

I had never said the name before. It was terrifying just to think about. But Umbridge had pushed every single one of my buttons, and my anger was too out of control to worry about some stupid fear of some stupid name.

"Miss Hart! I expect you in detention every evening this week, and the weekend as well! You should count yourself lucky I haven't made it longer!" Umbridge was practically shouting now.

"Yeah, I really don't fancy seeing that much of you. I think I'll give myself a little vacation first."

And without another word, I stood up and walked out of the classroom.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

720 28 17
Sometimes you have to make a sacrifice which leads to yourself being hurt instead of others. A sacrifice that causes everything you hold dear to sli...
128K 5K 41
Some people just change our lives. But we get to choose if it's for better or for worse. ♡ ♡ ♡ published: august 20, 2021 DISCONTINUED. I'm so sor...
132K 3.7K 53
"YOU, WINNIFRED BLACK, ARE EXTRAORDINARY. WITH ONE TEAR, YOU CAN SAVE A LIFE." cedric diggory x fem!oc to fred weasley x fem!oc
491K 12.2K 43
- I heard a faint 'Yes' and I immediately recognized his voice. It penetrated every atom of my body and I felt like I would explode if I just took on...