A Simple Deception

By littleLo

At three and twenty, Lady Susanna Beresford is at dire risk of being considered an old maid, though she is de... More

II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
XI
XII
XIII
XIV
XV
XVI
XVII
XVIII
XIX
XX
XXI
XXII
XXIII
XXIV
XXV
XXVI
XXVII
XXVIII
XXIX
XXX
XXXI
XXXII
XXXIII
XXXIV
XXXV
XXXVI
XXXVII
XXXVIII
XXXIX
XL
XLI
Epilogue

I

43.6K 1.8K 604
By littleLo

"The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed." Carl Gustav Jung

----

I.

Mayfair, London

August 1810

Lady Susanna Beresford had been taught from a young age that her entire life and study would revolve around preparing her for marriage. It was all she had grown up hearing. One day she would be married, and so she needed to know how to play the pianoforte, entertain foreign dignitaries in their native tongues, impress others with her drawing and embroidery, and to never say anything that a man might perceive as too intelligent.

Susanna was, by all intents and purposes, very accomplished in the traditional sense, and were she to be married to an earl or a marquess, she would be seen as quite the perfect society wife.

However, Susanna had grown up watching her parents. Her mother, Cecily, had been raised exactly the same way as Susanna had, and she had made a society match. Her parents had loathed one another, perhaps up until the final days of her father's life. When her mother spoke to her about marriage, a younger Susanna could not have imagined anything worse than ending up a prisoner in a miserable union as her mother and father had been.

In contrast, Susanna had known the pleasure of watching her eldest brother, Adam, become entirely devoted to Grace Denham in childhood. Susanna had always liked Grace and treasured their friendship in adulthood. Seeing her brother's happiness in a marriage brought about by love made Susanna hope, as well as envy.

Similarly, she had watched her middle brother, Jack, find himself in a love match. Jack had been a very wayward soul before marrying Claire, and Susanna could hardly believe the changes that she saw in her brother every time they met.

Susanna had been determined since her debut to marry only for the deepest love. It was a sacrifice, Susanna decided, that she was unwilling to make. If her elder brothers could find their matches and live truly contented lives, then Susanna desired the same.

Though, at three and twenty, and an endless parade of suitors later, it was easy to begin believing that she may well be without a perfect match.

Susanna stood before her mirror in her bedroom at Ashwood Place, her family's London home. She stared at her white day dress and smoothed the skirt with her hands. Susanna then peered closer at her face and noticed the slight shadows under her eyes. She had not slept well the night before.

Susanna had never been without attention, and often felt quite embarrassed whenever the beauty in her face and figure were heralded just as much as her dowry was coveted. Susanna wondered if she would be considered so beautiful were her dowry not so large.

She supposed that was the reason why she had yet to form an attachment to anyone. Susanna couldn't trust that their intentions were genuine. It was a story that had been played out a thousand times amongst the elites of society. A gentleman married a lady for her money, left her in a country house, while he used her fortune to gamble, drink, and establish actresses in their own lavish London apartments. Susanna would rather set her thirty thousand pounds on fire then have a man abuse her so.

In fact, what she would give for a man to take her without a farthing to her name. For he would be a man whom she could truly love.

"Oh, Susanna," remarked Cecily as she entered Susanna's bedroom. Cecily was dressed elegantly in a pale green. "Don't you look lovely?" She clapped her hands together with pride.

Susanna pouted as Cecily pinched her cheeks. "Ow," she complained.

"Hush," replied Cecily. "You are quite pale. We wouldn't want anyone thinking you are sickly." Cecily then stood beside Susanna and looked upon their reflections in the mirror, before she sighed. "The season is almost over, Susanna," she remarked quietly. "You need to make a decision. Lord Bertram may not be a brilliant man, but he is decent and sensible and comes from good family."

"I have already made my decision, Mother," snapped Susanna. "I made it the other day when he proposed."

Susanna could see that her mother was trying to be patient, but there was frustration in Cecily's eyes. Susanna wished her brothers were here to act as a barrier. For that, she was thankful that Jack and Claire had agreed to attend the faire today so that she might have some respite.

"Susanna, you do not want to be labelled an old maid!" insisted Cecily. "You have turned down countless suitors this summer, many of whom were finer prospects than Lord Bertram. Oh, I could have hanged you for turning away the Viscount Kilmartin!"

"The Viscount Kilmartin was fifteen years older than me, Mama," bit back Susanna, "and he kept referring to me as Sarah."

Cecily huffed. "He was maybe thirty-five at most," she murmured. Cecily placed her hands onto Susanna's shoulders and squeezed her. "Just think about accepting Lord Bertram today," she urged. "Believe me, child, it is better to be the intelligent one in marriage. You have the power."

Susanna turned on her mother, shrugging her hands of her shoulders. "Marriage isn't a chess game to me, Mama," Susanna cried. "Wouldn't you have been happier had you married for love?"

For a moment, Susanna saw a flash of something in her mother's eyes. But Cecily was quick to recover and pasted on her mask of composure.

"Susanna, you behave as if these men are ogres out to lock you in a tower," Cecily scolded. "Just promise me that you will at least consider Lord Bertram today. Love is rare and complicated, and more often than not one is unable to find it. But even if one does not love their husband, you will love your children, and believe me, they provide a far more satisfying love."

Susanna didn't reply. She didn't believe what her mother had conditioned herself to believe. Surely everyone's life would be infinitely better had they found love. She had only the testimony of her brothers, but that was enough evidence for Susanna to turn down Lord Bertram again.

***

The faire was held in Hyde Park, as a precursor to the end of the social season. It was here that matched couples could be seen promenading for all to see in and amongst the festivities of games and entertainers.

It was also one of the last opportunities that unmatched ladies and gentlemen could converse in a casual setting privately while their chaperones were suitably distracted by all the fanfare.

Before entering the park, Cecily and Susanna waited for Jack, Claire, and Jackie to join them. They walked together, pushing Jackie in her new baby carriage that Cecily had commissioned as a christening gift.

Susanna watched them together before they noticed her and her mother. Jack walked with his arm around Claire, such an expression of ease and contentment on his face as he smiled down at her. Susanna loved their ease of affection with one another and their clear devotion. How could Cecily observe them together and not see that a love match was better than what lay ahead of her in Hyde Park?

"Good morning," greeted Jack as he and Claire met them.

Claire smiled warmly. "Thank you for inviting us."

"Good morning," Cecily replied, returning their greeting briefly before she moved in front of the baby carriage to look in on Jackie.

Susanna smiled with satisfaction. This was exactly what she wanted. The baby was present, and her mother was suitably occupied.

In mere seconds, Cecily had Jackie out of the baby carriage and was cradling the young infant in her arms. Cecily cooed at Jackie with a pleasurable smile on her face.

Today, Jackie wore a white cotton bonnet to shield her from the sun, though it also covered her beautiful white blonde hair. Susanna liked to think that perhaps Jackie might have inherited some of her features from her aunt as both Jack and Claire had dark hair. Cecily had told Susanna that her hair was quite the same shade when she was born.

Jack left Claire's side to come to Susanna, and he kissed her on the cheek. "How are you?" he asked quietly.

Susanna looked up at her brother with a frustrated frown. "Mother wants me to accept Lord Bertram," she uttered. "I shan't, of course. But I fear I will never hear the end of it."

"Well, Claire and I are here to shield you. You are not to worry," assured Jack. "Point this Lord Bertram out to me and I shall accidentally push him into The Serpentine."

Susanna could not conceal the giggle that escaped her lips as she visualised Jack pushing Lord Bertram into the lake. Certainly, she could not condone something so cruel, however she was tempted.

They walked altogether into Hyde Park and were met with sights of jugglers and entertainers in colourful costumes. There were stalls set up flogging various sweet treats, and dozens of competition games. All around were couples walking together, flanked closely by their chaperones, and Susanna found herself truly hoping that at least some of these people might find satisfaction in the matches that they had forged.

"Ah, Lady Susanna!"

Susanna's head turned reluctantly to the direction that her name was called. She then saw Lord Bertram walking towards their party, waving his hand.

"We aren't near The Serpentine, but there is a juggler over there with fire batons. Shall I set his breeches alight?" Jack whispered in Susanna's ear.

Susanna gasped just as Lord Bertram joined them. As much as Susanna did not think of him as a romantic prospect, he was not a wholly unpleasant man, nor did he deserve to have his breeches set on fire. He was lean and of average height, perhaps a few inches taller than Susanna, and a thick head of auburn hair.

"Lord Bertram," greeted Susanna half-heartedly. "What a surprise to see you here."

"But of course, my lady," Lord Bertram bowed his head. "And how do you do this morning, Your Grace?" he asked Cecily.

Cecily smiled. "I am well, Lord Bertram. I am certain Lady Susanna is pleased to have this opportunity to revisit certain conversations. Please allow me to introduce my son, Lord Jack Beresford, his wife, Lady Claire, and little Miss Beresford."

Jack barely managed a grimace while Claire politely greeted Lord Bertram.

"I am pleased to meet family," replied Lord Bertram. "But you are not the duke, sir? You are not Lady Susanna's eldest brother?"

"No, I am not the one in control of her dowry if that is what you are asking," muttered Jack.

"Pardon me?" frowned Lord Bertram.

"Jack!" hissed Cecily under her breath. "Oh, you will have to forgive my son. He has been terribly busy these last months. He is a publisher, you know. Beresford Press. Perhaps you have heard of it? Their first manuscript is currently being printed. I am certain Lady Susanna would be happy to procure you a copy."

Unluckily for Susanna, Jackie's presence was not enough to distract her mother. Luckily for Susanna, Cecily herself spent much of their visit to the faire conversing with Lord Bertram that all Susanna had to do was wander behind them alongside the baby carriage.

Susanna did manage to enjoy herself, and much because of the fact that Claire was so delighted with the festivities. Susanna often took for granted the opportunities that she had been afforded.

She and Claire played a bowling game where they both failed dismally, and they were amazed at the contortionists who could twist their bodies into ungodly shapes. Jack bought them all cream buns from a sweet stall and Susanna just avoided at spilling the filling down her front.

At noon, the patrons of the faire were called over to a temporary arena by a herald. There was plenty of seating in the way of benches and the herald stood in the middle of the open field. Behind him were tents, and Susanna had no idea what to expect.

As they took their seats, Lord Bertram used it as an opportunity to sit beside Susanna. Behind him, Susanna saw Jack raise his foot to physically kick him off the bench and was only stopped when Claire grabbed his arm.

"Lady Susanna, it has felt an age since last we spoke," Lord Bertram began quietly.

"It has been two days," muttered Susanna.

"Well, an age nonetheless," returned Lord Bertram. "I am so pleased to have this opportunity to speak with you."

"Welcome one and all!" shouted the herald to the crowd, holding out his arms dramatically. He was dressed ostentatiously in red and gold and wore a rather ridiculous hat with two large ostrich feathers sticking out of it. "I am the great Leonardo," he introduced dramatically, "and I possess a great talent at finding extraordinary things in the farthest corners of the world! Today, I bring you a savage I discovered in the mountains of Saint-Domingue –"

"I do want to settle our engagement," continued Lord Bertram. "I am certain you agree that it is a favourable match on both our sides. And what with the season ending so soon, an announcement must be made with haste."

Saint-Domingue? Susanna wondered where on earth that was. She then supposed her geographical education was not as thorough as her knowledge of embroidery.

"I nurtured his talent, and taught him our civilised ways, but savages, ladies and gentlemen, are most always wild!" The herald elicited a gasp from the audience.

"What do you say, Lady Susanna?" pressed Lord Bertram.

"Please, allow me to introduce the wild, the unpredictable, the hypnotising Diego!" cheered the herald, Leonardo, as he moved out of the arena.

And then a rider came bursting out of the tent at the edge of the field, atop a white horse without a saddle. Susanna could not help but stare at this man, as he was unlike any she had ever seen before.

He was enormous. Even atop a horse, Susanna could see that he was taller than any gentleman in her acquaintance. She would have wagered him six and a half feet tall at least. Not only was he tall, but broad and strong, the strength in his shoulders and arms evident as he held them out for balance. His thighs, too, were huge, as he gripped the bareback of his horse.

But his height and his strength were not his most distinguishing feature, but his skin. His skin was a warm brown, and utterly flawless. He wore only a button-down white shirt open to the strength and perfection that was his chest, the sweat upon it glistening in the sunlight. The colour of the garment contrasted against the deep colour of his skin considerably, and Susanna couldn't help but marvel. A beige pair of breeches covered his strong legs and he wore no boots on his feet.

Susanna's eyes finally found their way to his face, and on it she saw an expression of concentration. His skin was just as flawless and smooth as it was elsewhere. His dark, thick brows were furrowed, and his full lips were parted. His jaw was just as strong and broad as his shoulders and his cheekbones were pronounced.

The herald, Leonardo, had called this man a savage, but Susanna didn't like that word. How could such a word describe someone so beautiful?

"Lady Susanna, are you listening to me?" asked Lord Bertram impatiently.

"No," murmured Susanna. Her attention was entirely captivated.

As the rider, Diego, pulled his steed to a stop before the audience, he looked up, revealing a pair of dark, serious eyes. They ran across the audience, almost searching as they passed Susanna, before they suddenly flicked back to her.

Susanna's breath caught in her throat and she saw his lips upturn slightly in a devilish smile.

----

I hope you enjoyed it and are ready for another ride!! And when I say I'm taking you on a roller coaster of emotion, I mean it - get ready ;)

Ever since I wrote The Stowaway I've been desperate to feature a POC as a leading man or woman, and it just worked perfectly for Susanna's storyline. When I wrote The Stowaway chapters in the Caribbean I knew I had to have a character come from there. 

"Diego" (which is a stage name) comes from Saint-Domingue, which is now Haiti. After the Haitian revolution, Saint-Domingue was renamed Haiti in 1804. So even though this story takes place in 1810, technically he was born in Saint-Domingue, present day Haiti. I'm just letting you know this incase I have any Haitian readers who are worrying that I haven't done my research on your country! 

As I said, nobody guessed Susanna's story, and that makes me happy!! There is a LOT more than meets the eye - hence the title ;) 

I feel the need to stress as I've said it in a few author's notes that Susanna and Peter don't end up together. Peter's story is the next book in this series and you haven't yet met his leading lady. I'm sure you'll love her, but it's not Susanna. 

I picked the name Diego as his stage name as that was Jesse's (my cat) name before we adopted him haha

I've also had a few comments asking/comparing my stories to Bridgerton. While I LOVED the TV show, I hope you guys can appreciate that I come up with my own original ideas!! Everything I write is 100% from my own imagination, and is often planned a year in advance. I've been planning this story since I wrote The Stowaway after all. 

That being said, when I saw Rege-Jean Page, he is who I started imagining as my hero in this book hehehe

Anyways, buckle up, it's going to be a bumpy, dramatic ride. But can you expect anything less from me?

Vote and comment!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

64.9K 3.1K 27
This story takes place in England, 1760, some years before lady Georgia sadly married Lord Walter Pearson at the young age of sixteen. Four years la...
2.7M 93.7K 24
When the arrogant stranger Bess is forced to marry unexpectedly becomes a duke, she'll find herself at odds with her growing feelings as he hunts for...
496K 22K 28
[COMPLETED] At the age of 15, Miss Charity Chadwick is tricked into marriage. Her new husband, unhappy with their union, banishes her to his north...
A Defiant Liaison By Laura

Historical Fiction

262K 25.9K 34
Belle Desjardins has officially begun her life over, leaving the life of a slave back in Saint-Martin. But as much as she tries, she is still haunted...