The Storm We Start || Book One

By ShyGuySamurai

|| Book One of the Dragonkind Duology || š™„š™© š™¬š™–š™Øš™£'š™© š™– š™¢š™–š™©š™©š™šš™§ š™¤š™› š™žš™› š™—š™”š™¤š™¤š™™ š™¬š™¤š™Ŗš™”š™™ š™—ļæ½... More

Before we get started
Map of Amaredeia
Chapter One: The Wizard and the Boy
Chapter Two: A Wonderful Tactic Called Lying
Chapter Three: This is What Happens When You Go the Long Way
Chapter Four: Darin's Merry Band of Travelers
Chapter Five: Son of Polagora, Son of Ventura
Chapter Seven: A Bump in the Road? That's a Mountain!
Chapter Eight: Cheers to Our Imminent Deaths
Chapter Nine: I Found You
Chapter Ten: Darin's Punishment
Chapter Eleven: Words Under a Starry Sky
Chapter Twelve: And the Reaper Reaped
Interlude
Chapter Thirteen: But the Soul Would Not Follow
Chapter Fourteen: Not Merely a Legend
Chapter Fifteen: You Really Are a Madman!
Chapter Sixteen: Echoes of the Past
Chapter Seventeen: Tea or Alcohol?
Chapter Eighteen: When the Truth Hurts the Most
Chapter Nineteen: A Family and a Promise
Chapter Twenty: Another Enemy?
Chapter Twenty-One: Long Story Short-
Chapter Twenty-Two: What's So Important About a Sword?
Chapter Twenty-Three: Still Teaching the Youth How to Lie
Chapter Twenty-Four: Well, It Could've Gone Worse
Chapter Twenty-Five: Words of Pride
Chapter Twenty-Six: It Has Begun
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Emergency at Iforia
Chapter Twenty-Eight: He Who Was Raised in War
Chapter Twenty-Nine: And He Who Was Not
Chapter Thirty: Words Between Brothers
Afterword
Extra: Ordephus and Lioda
Extra: Glimpse of the Past

Chapter Six: Unnecessary Questions

133 14 2
By ShyGuySamurai

To Iver and Noctifer's knowledge, Darin did not sneak off that night.

"At least he puts responsibility over pleasure," Noctifer muttered to Iver as they approached the wizard and his apprentice. They had already met earlier that morning to have breakfast and solidify the plans for the day, only going back to their rooms to retrieve their things. It was agreed that they would all head to the reservoir—Iver was curious to see what it looked like up close—before they split ways: Darin and Argent staying to check the barriers while Iver and Noctifer went back to the apothecary to gather medical supplies. After that, they would all meet at the market to buy the rest of the necessities.

Darin stood from his seat when the swordsmen returned, and Argent followed suit. "Ready to go?"

"Yes," Iver nodded, assuming his normal position of walking between the wizard and the warrior as they made it out onto the street. The boy walked a few feet ahead of them, looking back occasionally to confirm directions from Darin. "But are you sure they would let us in? The Alliance usually keeps their reservoirs well guarded."

"Well, I won't be able to get you close enough to walk through it," Darin said before adding with a grin, "but I can get you close enough to see it."

Iver shook his head with a smile. "Just who are you to Langerich to have such command?"

"I'm nothing much," Darin chuckled. "I just have friends in the right places. Namari's brother is the captain in charge of the reservoir, and I would help out a bit when I'm in town."

"But what makes you a worthy enough consultant," Noctifer questioned, raising an eyebrow.

"Experience." Darin turned away from the main road, going down a path that led to a gate. "It's not unusual for them to deal with unseelie attacks and barrier breaks, but as a  traveler, I deal with these sort of things much more often."

A lone guard stood by the gate as they approached, and he gave the group an odd look. He looks new, Darin thought as the young guard stopped them.

"May I help you?" he asked, glancing between the four of them.

"I'm here to check on the barrier," Darin explained with his usual pleasant smile. This only seemed to confuse the guard more.

"I'm sorry. I don't recall . . . anything about that?" The guard looked around, perhaps for a superior. "But I can confirm it with a lieutenant?"

"Ah, let him through," called another man who jogged up to them, flashing a grin at Darin. "It's good to see you again, Master Alaris. Sorry, we just received the message this morning that you were in Langerich." He nodded to the young guard who scrambled out of the way with a quick apology, now seeming to realize who was standing before him.

It struck Noctifer as odd, who narrowed his eyes slightly at the back of the wizard's head as they walked through the compound, at how everyone seemed to know the wizard is some shape or form. What exactly did he do to gain this much respect? It certainly wasn't something as small as experience or friends in high places. Iver and Noctifer shared a glance, and Iver gave a small nod to confirm he was thinking the same thing. They wouldn't get the chance to ask, however, as they soon neared the center of the reservoir.

"Is that it?" Argent asked in awe, gazing at the soft blue light floating above the ground, and Darin vocalized his confirmation with a hum. The ground dipped and peaked around it, making it look like a drop of water frozen in time just before it hit the lake. If anything, the longer they stared at it, it really did look as if it were rippling water. Many people stood around it: Soldiers, scholars, and potion makers. None seemed to pay any mind to them, simply going along with their own business (almost in a frantic manner, Noctifer noticed), until one of the soldiers near the center caught them lingering. He was a bit more decorated than the others, yet also wore lighter armor. A look of relief washed over the other man's face, excusing himself from the group he was with and walked straight to Darin.

"Thank goodness you showed up today," the decorated soldier began, addressing Darin. "Namari just sent the message you were heading over, and it couldn't have been timed better."

"Is the barrier that bad?" Darin asked, scanning the signature pulses of the invisible lines that separated their world from the faeriekind. Indeed, there were many cracks and breaks. "Was there an attack?"

"A minor harbinger was spotted by the scryers a few days ago, and it was last night where it began clawing at the barrier," the other man explained hastily. Darin glanced back at Iver and Noctifer.

"We can come here again," he assured, and Iver nodded his understanding.

"Ah, sorry, I should introduce myself," the other man said, giving a sheepish smile. "Captain Moric Glendon. Namari—my sister—told me about the three of you in her message, as well." He turned to Darin. "So you really did get an apprentice? I feel like I heard Amonis mention it when I passed by, but I may have been preoccupied to think about it properly."

Darin waved his hand. "I can tell you more later, but the barrier needs to be mended. Maybe we could scare off the harbinger as well so it doesn't break through in the future."

"Yes, yes, you're right." Moric gave a polite nod to the swordsmen before heading to where the larger cracks were located. Other wizards were already gathered around it.

"I'll meet you at the market," Darin added before giving a small smile to Argent. "I suppose your lesson in realm barriers is now."

"Sounds good," Argent replied with a determined look, and soon the wizard and his apprentice followed the captain, leaving the swordsmen alone.

"Let us go to the apothecary, then," Iver said, circling back towards the gate. He gave one last look at the reservoir center before looking at Noctifer with a smile. "This is all I wanted to see."

Noctifer said nothing as he followed the elf out of the compound.

"I didn't think I'd see you two so soon," Amonis noted when he saw the swordsmen enter. "I'll be with you in a moment."

Iver and Noctifer had run into Lottie earlier as she did deliveries, so they weren't surprised to see the willowy man at the front. A little girl was sitting on the counter, however, and a woman stood by the backroom door as Amonis finished wrapping the girl's legs with a bandage. The girl looked much like the woman, with mousy brown hair that hung in loose curls, but she had Amonis' shade of blue eyes.

"How does that feel?" he asked the girl, and she gave him a toothy grin. Two of her front teeth were missing though.

"They feel better! Thank you!" She wrapped her arms around Amonis' neck as he gave her a small smile and lifted her off the counter. He was careful to not bump her legs against anything as he passed her to the woman.

"Daddy has work to do, Areniah," the woman told the girl as she untangled her daughter's arms from her husband's neck. "We'll see him later. Say goodbye, now."

Areniah pouted but waved her hand. "Goodbye, Daddy. Can you get the purple flowers again? Mommy already put the old ones upside down."

"Miss Emeri will be by later this afternoon," Amonis assured before giving his wife a brief kiss and kissing the top of Areniah's head. "I'll see you two later."

Areniah said another goodbye as she and his wife disappeared into the back and went up the stairs. They must live above the shop, Iver thought. Once the footsteps had faded, Amonis turned back to the swordsmen, a residual smile on his face.

"Now back to business," he said, returning to his place behind the counter and beginning to clean out a mortar. "I'll assume you're here to gather medicinal supplies for your trip? Where's Darin?"

"We passed by the mana reservoir before coming here, but it sounded like there was an emergency," Iver explained. "Darin and Argent stayed behind to help."

"I remember Moric saying something like that, now that you mention it," Amonis grimaced. "Something about the barrier being compromised. No wonder he was more of a nervous wreck than usual."

"Was that your wife and daughter, then?" Iver asked, changing the subject, before finding a bottle and holding it up. "Alori?"

"That would be them, and yes, that's alori with camurra and pheffor added in."

"Really? You do not make it with tiloan tree oil?"

"Darin happens to be allergic to tiloan tree oil, actually," Amonis explained, moving to create something else as Iver looked around, "so I began making my burn ointments without them. Nothing serious, it just causes irritation for him, but the fool didn't even realize it until I pointed it out."

"Do you change everything for Darin's sake?" Noctifer suddenly asked, having since resumed his original position of standing by the door.

Amonis raised an eyebrow at Noctifer's tone. "If it doesn't inconvenience me to do so, then yes. I change recipes for his sake. If people prefer tiloan tree oil in their burn ointments, I'm not the only apothecary in Langerich."

"So you as well," Noctifer grunted, pushing off the wall and walking up to the counter. "Why is it that everyone here treats Darin as if they owe him a favor? Even the soldiers let him do as he pleases."

"I guess you could say we do owe him," Amonis explained, busying himself with a tonic. If he was uncomfortable with Noctifer's proximity, he didn't show it. "He's done a lot for Langerich as a whole."

"Tell us what you know about the wizard," Noctifer demanded. Iver occasionally glanced back at the two, carefully monitoring Noctifer's actions to see if he needed to step in. Darin had brave friends, however, as Amonis simply went along with the warrior's demand.

"Fair enough," the apothecary said. "You will be traveling with him, and the man already doesn't like talking about himself much, so I might as well tell you what any other citizen of Langerich knows."

Amonis set aside his work momentarily, giving the swordsmen his full attention. The action seemed to satisfy the warrior as Noctifer leaned back, looking impassive rather than imposing. Iver was also curious about what Amonis had to say, so gathering the last of what he needed, he walked over to the counter and carefully set down the items.

"First thing to clear up: Darin isn't actually a part of the wizard's guild, thus, isn't technically a wizard at all," Amonis began. "But none can call him anything but a wizard with his skill level. Instead, he gets any guild information from me or Moric." He shrugged. "He doesn't particularly care about what the guild has to say, hence why he isn't part of it, but occasionally he would help with commissions if it's in his route or close by."

"So you are a wizard as well," Iver said.

"Everyone in Langerich is a wizard, or by the very least, has some magical ability," Amonis explained. "Mana reservoirs tend to attract those in need of it, after all."

"Enough of that," Noctifer cut in. "Is Darin from here?"

"He is not," Iver replied instead, looking at Amonis for confirmation. "He wields a spellbook, thus he must be Paraglian. Or perhaps he was taught by one but is a Loten citizen?"

"No, you're correct. He's from Paraglia, but he might as well be a Loten citizen since he often talks about how he would rather live here." Amonis snorted. "Not that he stays in one place for very long, anyway. He stays in Langerich for a maximum of two weeks before heading off somewhere, even during snowfall. Not to mention, he usually travels alone on top of that."

"Back to my original question," Noctifer asked before Iver could say something. "He is not a citizen, not a guild-recognized wizard, and doesn't even stay in Langerich. Why is he respected, then?"

"Because he saved the city from becoming a tainted portal," was Amonis' response. "Being the largest mana reservoir in Amaredeia, you could imagine how much unseelie activity it attracts. This is why we have our own force specifically tasked with protecting it. However, seven years ago, a harbinger deity broke through and began devouring the reservoir."

Iver shivered at the name. In all his years alive, he was fortunate to have only witnessed the devastation caused by a harbinger deity once. The wizards present managed to exterminate the harbinger in the end, but the city had already been destroyed, and many lives were lost that day. Even today, all that was left of the city was its ruins and a tainted portal. Not many traveled there in fear of encountering the harbingers that roamed there.

"Evacuations had already been put in place—we didn't think Langerich could be saved at that point—but I had stayed behind as a guild wizard to make sure people got out safely," Amonis continued. "Moric had just given me the orders to retreat, actually, since he knew I had an infant daughter at the time, so I was just about to exit the city when Darin ran past me. I was still technically under orders to get people to evacuate, even if I had been dismissed, so I ran after him to stop him." He laughed at the memory. "Now remember that this was several years ago, and back then, Darin was practically a young man just entering adulthood. You could imagine our surprise as he ran straight through the protective lines, a Paraglian with a spellbook, and proceeded to go head to head with a harbinger deity."

Iver's mouth hung open in shock, and Noctifer stared at Amonis trying to decipher if the apothecary was lying. He was not.

"Are you saying Darin fought a harbinger deity, by himself, and survived?" Iver asked, punctuating every word to make sure he was understood.

"Not completely by himself, but he did hold his own until the rest of us were able to reorganize ourselves," Amonis said. "But essentially yes. It's thanks to him that more damage wasn't done and that Langerich still stands at all. Since then, Darin was always welcomed in the city and helped with the barriers. Although, his stays didn't become more regular until he found out that Areniah was sick. That was when I offered him the job of being somewhat of my personal supplier, both for work and for personal reasons."

"If he's so powerful, why does he need our help," Noctifer asked gruffly, glancing at Iver as if saying 'I told you so.'

"He has an unfortunate habit of pushing himself to the brink," Amonis deadpanned. "During the harbinger attack, he had started eating away at his own lifeforce and had to be given nearly five high-grade mana potions to stop any further damage. I should know; I was the one who treated him and yelled at him first."

"We will make sure that does not happen," Iver said hastily, horrified that Darin was willing to shorten his own life. Noctifer begrudgingly agreed. As annoying as the wizard was, there was an odd sort of respect he had for him, especially after hearing and witnessing what he was willing to do to protect others.

"Does he have family, then?" Noctifer questioned next. Amonis didn't reply right away, and Noctifer immediately became suspicious. This was the first time the apothecary hesitated before responding, so that could only mean he was thinking of what to say and thinking of what to leave out.

"We aren't sure," Amonis said at last. "He arrived alone and would change the subject when anyone asked. The only bit of information Langerich has about his family is when he mentioned how he had a brother while he was inebriated."

"Had?" Iver inquired, and Amonis nodded.

"Since then, we assumed he was the last of his family and stopped asking."

"Yet he has a surname," Noctifer pushed. "Do you know anything about the Alaris?"

"I'm an apothecary," Amonis said, now looking vexed at Noctifer's prodding. "What makes you think I know anything about family names?"

"You're part of the wizard's guild, are you not?" Noctifer leaned forward, once again attempting to intimidate the apothecary. "Even if Darin isn't part of the guild himself, as a powerful wizard, someone of his family should be a guild member."

"Perhaps if you asked that in Paraglia, they could give you answers," Amonis stated, meeting Noctifer's eyes as they narrowed.

"You aren't telling me everything," Noctifer said, deciding to confront Amonis rather than go in circles about the subject. "As his friend, you know more about him than you're letting on."

"I am his friend," Amonis suddenly declared, straightening and leveling Noctifer coldly. Iver would've been impressed if he wasn't so worried about preventing a fight between a seasoned warrior and a Lotenian wizard. "That's why I will say nothing more. If he hasn't told you himself, then it's none of your business." He broke eye contact without letting the warrior say anything more in favor of looking at Iver. While the gaze wasn't as heated, it was clear the both of them had overstayed their welcome. "If that would be all, then excuse me; I have work to do."

It didn't take long for their chosen supplies to be packed and paid for, and Iver gave Amonis an apologetic smile as they left. The smile wasn't returned, but he did receive a nod conveying that the apology was recognized. That was good enough for Iver, at least. He gave Noctifer a stern look as they headed to the market where they were supposed to meet Darin and Argent.

"This is why I sometimes do not allow you to speak," Iver huffed. "Why did you ask those questions, anyway? We did learn a few things, but we already knew Darin was from Paraglia."

"He's hiding something," Noctifer replied shortly.

"Amonis?" Iver gave Noctifer a puzzled look. "Of course he is. He admitted it himself."

Noctifer rolled his eyes. "Darin."

"Oh." Iver thought about it before giving a shrug. "He probably just likes his privacy. That would make sense for someone who would rather travel alone despite the dangers."

"Yet his story is rehearsed," Noctifer stated. "Giving the same answer to everyone and only saying enough to appease."

"How do you know that?"

"Before retiring for the night, I asked around the tavern if they knew anything about Darin," Noctifer explained. "All who knew his name would give the same answer as the rest with nearly the same wording."

"Then . . ." Iver trailed off slightly. "What do you want done about it?"

"I want answers."

Iver huffed at the short answer. "Good luck, then. If Darin has rehearsed his story as you claim, then I doubt you will get much more. Why are you so invested in the first place?"

"Because I will be traveling with him." He lowered his voice, only being loud enough for the elf to hear. "As unassuming as he looks, there's a dangerous aura around him, and to fight a harbinger deity and living to tell the tale, it proves he's much more capable than what he wants others to believe. His deeds are good, but I've met a lot of manipulative people throughout my life." He glanced to the side at Iver. "People like him are the kind who will stab you in the back once you've served your purpose."

Iver shook his head in disbelief. Surely, if someone was willing to literally give their life to save an entire city, then they couldn't have ulterior motives, right? He wasn't so sure now that he thought about it, and he wasn't born yesterday, either. Nonetheless, he shook his head to get the thought out of his head.

"Then I will leave the speculation to you, my friend," he said instead, sending a reassuring grin up at Noctifer. "I, for one, believe Darin is being genuine."

Noctifer only grunted in response, not saying anything more as they reached the market.

Word count: 3420

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

316 127 101
šŸ† āš˜›š˜™š˜ˆš˜š˜Œš˜“š˜Œš˜™āž - AIM TO ENGAGE 2023 WINNER šŸ† āš˜”š˜ˆš˜™š˜’š˜š š˜–š˜ š˜‹š˜Œš˜šš˜›š˜š˜•š˜ , š˜”š˜ˆš˜›š˜Šš˜š˜Œš˜š š˜–š˜ š˜š˜ˆš˜›š˜Œāž - AIM TO ENGAGE 2023 FAVORITE PI...
12K 5.3K 37
Unknown to the average human world, there is a place where every supernatural being that fuels nightmares resides. Shielded completely from prying ey...
20.1K 2.7K 90
A forsaken God in exile, seeking to find his purpose. A soldier with a questionable past. Destiny picks the two most unlikely pieces upon the board a...
2M 95.9K 78
(š¬š­šžššš¦š² š¬š”š¢šŸš­šžš« š«šØš¦ššš§šœšžšŸ”ž) Three mates. One destiny. A world on the brink of destruction. At 27, Riley thought she knew who she w...