The Monsters of the Mind

Par anonbryantbooks

It just had to be my luck that my car would break down on the side of the road in Sea View. Thankfully, there... Plus

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Part 13
Part 14
Part 15
Part 16
Part 17
Part 18
Part 19
Part 20
Part 21
Part 22
Part 23
Part 24
Part 26
Part 27
Part 28
Part 29
Epilogue (Version 1): Twilight
Epilogue Version 2: Daylight

Part 25

185 12 3
Par anonbryantbooks

Rose's POV 

On the sixth of June the following year, I finally gave birth to my little one - a boy.

Nearly twelve hours of labor from the previous afternoon all the way into the early hours of the morning left my body sore, open, and empty. Tears had mixed with sweat when the pain had become unbearable, my hands clasping the railings on either side of me in a tight grip - the metal feeling like it was going to break under my touch. I could feel nothing but the raw pain as my baby moved from within me and out into the world, my lungs screaming for air. 

The doctors had done their best to keep me as comfortable as possible - but the childbirth was a difficult one, especially since I had never had a child before and my husband was nowhere in the vicinity of the hospital I was at. I knew I could hear their voices, telling me to keep pushing - to keep breathing - but even as I tried my hardest, my heart was thrumming in my ears; too loud for me to hear anything but it and the blood pumping wildly through my veins.

But once that little baby let out a screech, everything popped around me.

His voice was loud like mine, his cries slowly being comforted by the nurse after they had cut the cord from him and swaddled him up in white - the blood and other liquids staining the cloth as they carried him away.

"Don't worry, Mrs. Hall," a doctor smiled in comfort, patting my hand as I struggled to sit up, "They're just going to take a few measurements and weigh him. They'll bring him straight back once they're finished."

And, like he said, they returned him to me only a few moments later.

"Careful dear, he's quite a squirmer," one of the nurses chuckled, handing him to me.

The little bundle was indeed moving about within the blanket, his hands reaching out and clasping at my finger. He was acting like a child that had been born several months ago - not like a newborn. 

But, I could see everything else was fine.

Ten fingers, ten toes... he had a light dusting of dark hair on his head that would grow into curls, and his eyes were still tightly closed and his lips were pressed together in a tight scowl. His chubby cheeks were pink and warm to the touch - not a single issue or problem covered his body.

"He's healthy then?" I asked hopefully.

"Seems so," the nurse smiled, "and, I'll say this, in all the years I've practiced, I've never encountered a baby like yours before. He's already quite the charmer, even if he's only a few minutes old."

"He gets that from his father," I mumbled quietly, pressing my baby closer to me.

"Speaking of which," the doctor spoke up, "Shall we try to get in contact with him again?"

"No, I'll have one of my staff members get in contact with him," I answered quickly.

"Alright then, but we'll need the birth certificate signed by you, at least, today," the man spoke, pulling out a pen and the paper, "Do you have a name in mind for him?"

I looked down at my little boy, thinking hard.

Hugo wanted no part in his upbringing, that I was sure about - even if my heart wanted to say different. This poor little one would be trapped with the man's last name, but I could at least do something about his first and middle.

"James Alexander," I smiled, "His name is James Alexander Hall."

***

"Rosemary?" one of the nurses poked her head into my room.

I was very tired from being up all night and from bringing my son into the world. All I wanted to do was to rest and get some sleep - but my baby had other ideas. 

Most of the time, newborns were tired from being brought forth into the world - but not James. He seemed very determined to move about and learn about this new world outside of his mother's belly. It had taken a bit of coaxing to get him to sleep, but he woke up about ten minutes later and hungry as all heck. The little bugger refused to eat anything else but from me and only me, much to the dismay of the staff - thus the reason why he was permitted to remain with me in my room instead of in the nursery with the other newborns.

When I indicated to the nurse that I was awake, the poor woman smiled, "Hugo - your husband - is here to see you."

I felt my heart drop into my stomach. What would he think?

"B-Bring him in," my voice was very small, but was easily misread as being tired.

The nurse came in, holding the door open as Hugo walked into the room.

He didn't look angry, just seemed tired - like I was. His entire frame was slouched  forward, hands buried deep in his pockets. His typically crisp shirt was wrinkled, the sleeves rolled up to his elbows, and the top two buttons were popped open. He looked like a different man entirely. He slowly came forward, feet scraping along the ground like he had gotten into trouble - I wouldn't have been surprised if any of the staff members had refused to tell him where I was currently with the fear that he may cause physical harm to the newborn baby that would be living in the hotel with us from now on.

He stopped at the side of the bed, looking upon the child with little interest. 

James' eyes were closed, finally falling into a peaceful sleep. I was still holding his little hand in my fingers, the small hand tightly clasping as if it was afraid to let go.

"This is James, then?" Hugo's voice was thick, either with anger or sadness - I wasn't sure.

"Yes," I answered honestly, a cool chill running down my spine at the words, "I called him 'James Alexander.' James after my father and Alexander after my grandfather."

"My father is named Alexander as well," Hugo's eyes shift to my face for the first time in months, "It's suitable. I take it the nickname for him will be Jamie, then?"

"I think Jimmy might work," I answered, turning away from him and back at James, "It'll be a good name other kids will call him."

I felt Hugo shift beside me. 

The air between us felt so stale, like the fire that had once burned between us had burnt out and left nothing but ash in its wake. Everything that had led up to this point had been nothing but hurt and pain, all the love and compassion had vanished completely. My heart still hoped beyond everything that perhaps Hugo would see the joys that a child could bring, but my mind said he may never see a child that was his as nothing more than burden.

I unintentionally clenched my son closer to my chest. If Hugo couldn't accept him, then I would raise him on my own.

"I'll let the staff know," Hugo's voice broke the silence, "They'll want to know how soon you'll be back."

"Sir, it was a very difficult birth for your wife," the nurse spoke up - still standing in the doorway, "The doctors want to keep her here for a few nights, just to make sure she's healthy enough to -"

"I didn't ask for your opinion," Hugo's voice cut her off before turning back to me, "I'll have one of them pick you up when the hospital is ready to release you."

I nodded, "Thank you."

Hugo turned, intending on leaving, but the nurse stopped him in his tracks, "You're not even going to hold your son? That woman - your wife, mind you - went through twelve hours of labor to give you a bouncing baby boy! Certainly you have a little bit of joy in that cold frame of yours to at least touch your son."

"I was never interested in having a child, plain and simple," Hugo's voice turned dark, "She may be my wife, but that doesn't mean I will accept the child as my own. I'm signing the birth certificate because it's what any honorable man would do. But, I'm not touching that creature in my wife's arms currently."

Hugo stormed past the nurse before she could get another word in.

She turned to me, eyes narrowing, "What kind of man doesn't show any sort of sympathy for their child? Who wouldn't want to hold their own child?"

I shrugged, indifferent, "He's been like that for a while. I think he's afraid of them, to be totally honest."

"Is there something else going on? Do you need help?" the concern was growing in her eyes.

"No, I've managed myself quite well on my own the past few months," I answered, turning back to my baby, "Don't mind Hugo, it's just the way he is."

The nurse seemed like she wanted to pry deeper, but seemed to understand that I was tired. She allowed me the space I need and the time to bond with my baby.

"Don't worry, little Jimmy," I leaned down and kissed his brow ridge, "Momma's here... Momma will protect you."

***

Two days later, I was released from the hospital with little Jimmy in tow.

Guests and staff members poured their hearts out at the sight of him when I walked through the doors.

"Well, you can definitely tell who the momma is," one of the cooks grinned, holding little Jimmy in his arms like he had been doing it his whole life, "That hair of his is going to look just like yours, Rose!"

"Has his eyes opened yet?" another staff member asked, peering into the cook's embrace to get a good look at Jimmy.

"Not yet," I answered, setting myself down in one of the chairs, "His eyes will open in a few days or so, but other than that - he's ahead of every other baby."

"How so?" 

"Well, let's say he was moving about after only being born for an hour," I shrugged, "The doctors and the nurses were surprised by that."

"When I had my little Aggie years ago," one of the receptionists spoke up, "she didn't move much at all. That is really strange..."

"Hey, hey! I think his eyes are going to open!" the cook's voice sounded very excited.

Sure enough, Jimmy's little eyes cracked open to see the world around him. They were a gorgeous chocolate brown and sparkling with mischief. He squeezed his hands into little fists as he looked at everyone surrounding him.

"Well, we still know that you're the mother, Rose," the cook smiled, gently tucking the baby into my open arms, "He's got your eyes and your hair."

"But Hugo's pointed nose, that's for sure," I chuckled softly, smiling at my son and cooing, "Hi James. I'm your mommy."

Jimmy gurgled, a smile on his face while his hands reached up to touch my features. I could hear cooing and laughing from everyone around me as I kissed at Jimmy's little fingers.

"Alright! What's all this racket?!" Hugo's voice broke off any noise of laughter, all heads turning toward the direction of the hotel owner as he appeared in the doorway - face in a permanent scowl.

"Just welcoming the newcomer into the business, Mr. Hall," one of the cooks gulped, "He'll be taking over the place after he's grown up."

"If he makes it that far," Hugo growled, "Regardless, this is a hotel - not a social diner. All of you get back to work! If I see another one of you out of line, you'll be without a job. Understand?"

The staff spread like fire - disappearing in random directions.

I continued to clutch Jimmy to my chest, fear filling my body as Hugo stalked over.

"As for you," Hugo's voice was sharp like winter winds, "if I hear that thing scream at all during it's time here, you'll both pay for it."

"Y-Yes, Hugo," I whimpered, "I understand."

He huffed at me, turning on his heels and returning to his office. 

I let out a sigh of relief, thankful that Jimmy hadn't made a peep during this confrontation. However, when I looked back down at him, I could tell he knew that there was something very wrong with the man that was his father. His eyes were wide with fear, nearly glowing in the darkening hallway as the sun crept below landscape. His bottom lip was trembling harshly, like he wanted to cry but was too afraid to make a sound out of fear for me and him.

"Do not fear, little one," I soothed, smiling down at him before kissing the top of his head, "I promised I would protect you, and I will keep that promise til the end of time."

***

Jimmy was a well-behaved baby, surprisingly enough.

One of the cooks had purchased a special wrap for me to carry Jimmy in as I made my way around the hotel - helping with clearing rooms, checking on guests as they entered and exited, helping with meals, and bringing them from the kitchen and placing the hot plates before each individual. During my office time was when I could feed Jimmy and entertain him - waving a little flower rattle that I had purchased for him before finding out I was going to have a boy.

I was half hoping for a little girl, but I loved my son all the same. He was a very good baby, cooing at everyone when he was happy and hiccuping when he was hungry. The nights were peaceful for all of us - Jimmy would sleep through with little to no problems, unlike when he was at the hospital. I thought maybe he just felt like this place was home - the hospital was a strange place for the both of us.

But, as months passed, Jimmy became more fussy.

It didn't really help that Hugo refused to even look at him - never mind hold him.

Jimmy had a sense that the man who yelled and screamed at me was his father - though I wasn't exactly sure how he knew. He would sometimes try to reach out for Hugo while in his little carrier when he walked past me, his little hands trying to grab at his shirt sleeves. He would also coo at his father, trying to get his attention - which resulted in a sneer at Jimmy and a yelling at me. When Hugo did that, Jimmy would burst out giggling - making me worry about what he was learning from witnessing Hugo's antics.

But the worst was soon to come.

The rain had been pouring down hard, and nonstop for several days - making everyone fall into a sour mood.

Jimmy had been on edge all day, his whimperings getting louder and louder. I had tried to get him to get some sleep, hoping that maybe a little nap would help take a bit of pressure off his body. I rocked him in the office with the door closed, humming as best as I could even though I couldn't carry a tune.

It was working somewhat...

Until Hugo stormed in.

"What the Hell do you think you're doing!?" his rage shook the walls of the small area, making me stop in my tracks and turn toward the entryway, clutching Jimmy close to my chest.

Hugo was leaning against the doorframe, his eyes wild with anger. His lips were peeled back to reveal his teeth in a permanente snarl. His shirt was untucked from his pants, his vest open and hanging loosely on his frame.

"W-What do you mean, Hugo?" I asked, "I'm only comforting Jimmy like any mother would..."

"You're supposed to be out here helping the others get this shit cleaned out!" his thumb jerked  behind him, "The kitchens are leaking because of all this damn rain! So, get your arse in there and get it cleaned up!"

"Please, Hugo," I started to beg, feeling Jimmy trembling in my grasp, "I can't do two things at once right now. Let me take care of our son-"

"HE'S NOT MY SON!" Hugo's voice all but roared, making the two of us shake, "THAT THING IS THE SON OF HELLSPAWN!"

Then Jimmy cried out. His voice erupted from somewhere in his little body, high pitched and crackling from sheer fear. Tears sprang at his little eyes, calling for me to console him.

"ALRIGHT, THAT DOES IT!"

Before I could react, Hugo snatched the cloth cradle from my body - tearing it to shreds as he grasped at Jimmy.

"HUGO! PLEASE NO!" I tried to reach for my son, Hugo's elbow colliding with my chest hard and forcing me to the ground. A small table fell beside me as papers flew everywhere. I groaned as I clasped my chest, struggling to stand. I needed to get to Jimmy - my baby was in trouble because of me.

Staff members looked on as I moved quickly out of my office and rushed down the hallway toward Hugo's room. I slammed myself against the door, jingling the door handle as I hurried to reach my baby.

I pounded on the door, "Hugo! HUGO! OPEN THIS DOOR RIGHT NOW! PUNISH ME! I DISOBEYED YOU! PLEASE DON'T HURT HIM!"

A resounding crack made my heart stop in its tracks.

Tears built up as Jimmy's screams became louder and louder. My hand clasped over my mouth as my body crumpled to the floor as more cracking sounds erupted from the other side of the door.

And I knew that Hugo's screams and Jimmy's cries would forever echo in my ears.

"SIT STILL! YOU STUPID LITTLE WRETCH! DO WHAT I TELL YOU TO!"

Continuer la Lecture

Vous Aimerez Aussi

975 108 14
My superpower is invisibility. Not by choice. It's the only way I know how to be. Until the cute guy on the bus shows me how to fly, but there's a c...
694K 22K 24
She isn't crazy. It's just that no one believed her. So she ran away, and on that journey happened to steal a very special, black 67' Chevy Impala. ...
919 78 20
I didn't think I'd be on the run at 16, with two friends and murder on our trail. A bounty over my head, and a race against the clock. I found out t...
4K 206 61
Here lie my thoughts in this book, why don't you stop and take a look. While you read the secrets written there, try to ignore the silent screams no...