Masked Attraction

By taylorcelanturxx

Emma Barnes is a shy sophomore with a predictable life. Struggling with anxiety and focusing on her parent's... More

Author's Note
Chapter 1: Kappa Alpha Society
Chapter 2: He Won't Fall For It
Chapter 3: Your Fate Is Sealed
Chapter 4: Oops
Chapter 5: Dancing
Chapter 6: You're On
*Characters*
Chapter 7: I'll Just Add Myself
Chapter 8: I Lied
Chapter 9: You Always Eat My Pizza
Chapter 10: Bashy
Chapter 11: He's Only Cute if I'm Drunk
Chapter 12: I Can Sing Better Than the Band
Chapter 13: Doritos
Chapter 14: Girlfriend?
Chapter 15: I Can Totally Pull Off a Mustache
Chapter 16: Barista
Chapter 17: Model Emergency
Chapter 18: Man Spreading
Chapter 19: Flavor
Chapter 20: Out of Your League
*Pictures*
Chapter 21: Movers
Chapter 22: Mini Castle
Chapter 23: She's a Little Scary
Chapter 24: Steam Coming Out of Her Ears
Chapter 25: Kiss Me
Chapter 26: Munchkins and Midterms
Chapter 27: Sebastien John Reed
Chapter 28: Wrong Feelings
Chapter 29: Mushy Gushy
Chapter 30: Scream Music
Chapter 31: Big Bad Wolf
Chapter 32: Good and Dandy
Chapter 33: Pancakes
Chapter 34: Karaoke Night
Chapter 35: Slacker Cookies
Chapter 36: Turkey
Chapter 37: Victor
Chapter 38: Did That Happen?
Chapter 39: On A Break
Chapter 40: Dumplings
Chapter 41: Strike
Chapter 42: I'll Bite You Too
Chapter 43: The Grinch
Chapter 44: Me, Myself & I
*Extra Pictures*
Chapter 45: Everything Okay?
Chapter 46: Old Sellers
Chapter 47: Deathtrap
Chapter 48: Bubble Bath
Chapter 49: Boy Toy
Chapter 50: Masked
Chapter 51: Attraction
Chapter 52: Everybody Knows
Chapter 53: You are Crazy
Chapter 54: Striped & Solids
Chapter 56: Dragon Tattoo
Chapter 57: Engaged
Chapter 58: Bewitched
Chapter 59: Parents
Epilogue
THANK YOU NOTE <3

Chapter 55: Goodbye

5.5K 138 7
By taylorcelanturxx

I swivel to see a flurry of red hair coming my way. Serena. She looks beautiful as always, but her face is painted in unfriendliness. I look for an escape route but for her tiny legs, she surprisingly walks super fast. She stops once she is inches in front of me and looks me up and down filled with hatred and disgust.

"Oh, we are just friends!" She blurts using air quotes and a high-pitched voice in an attempt to imitate me...Okay, my voice definitely doesn't sound like that.

"You are such a slut. What were you sleeping with him the whole time!" She sneers at me crossing her arms across her chest. "And wow, now he finally is giving you the time of day to call you his girlfriend. Aren't you so happy now," Serena mocks.

Wetness forms in my eyes and I take a small step away from her hurt. "Yo-you don't know anything. That is not what happened."

"I know what I need to. You're a liar and a backstabbing wh—"

"Stop!" I snap. I ball my hands up at my side outraged and humiliated. Everything she is saying stings. I never meant to hurt anyone, but I am tired of being talked down to. "You need to stop right now Serena. Sebastien and I never did anything while you two were together. That is a fact and if you don't believe me fine! I honestly don't give a damn if you do! But I will not accept you yelling in my face. So back off," I hiss.

Her face scrunches up into a permanent scowl. "Whatever Emma. I hope I never see you again."

I bite back any foul words not wanting to stoop to her level. "Goodbye Serena," I state. I cross my arms cooly, feeling better that I spoke my mind. She flips her hair over her shoulder and storms off. I hope I never see her again too. Some people you can't just win with.

***

Standing in line for dinner, I scoop up a roll and a bowl of watery soup to my tray. I spot Jamie and Jess out of the corner of my eye at our normal table and make my way over. I plop down into the seat rubbing my forehead attempting to relieve the tension building there. Serena managed to give me a stupid headache.

"Girl, what happened? You look like you just ran over a bunny," Jamie murmurs alarmed.

I glance up at her. "Oh my gosh no, that would have been worse. It was just an incident with Serena," I answer and drop my hands.

"Serena?" Her eyebrows widen. "Oh o-kay, time to spill," Jamie demands. Jess, Lukas, and Jeremy pause whatever they were talking about and lean in to eavesdrop. I take a deep breath and put down my spoon before I replay the encounter to the four of them.

All their faces turn to rage by the end of my rant. Jess quickly scurries to my side and hugs me. "I am so sorry Emma. That was so rude," Jess exclaims.

I stare into my soup. "Yeah, I thought it was pretty cruel. I know she was upset, but they haven't even been together for a while," I murmur.

"That was so petty of her. Okay, tell me when and I'll egg her car," Jamie declares. "I got connections in the sorority we can find her and her building. No one will ever need to know. I'll then hit her window too just for the hell of it." An evil glint forms in her eyes.

"Yes, I'll help." Lukas agrees nodding enthusiatically.

"Oh my gosh no. Jamie. Lukas. No." I shake my head forcibly.

Lukas folds his arms like a child being told he can't have ice cream before dinner.

Jamie rolls her eyes disappointed. "Ugh, fine. If you change your mind though let me know. No questions asked." Jeremy twists to stare at her horrified, clearly not knowing what he got himself into.

"James it's a firm no. That is not going to change," I say sternly and she just shrugs. "Really, it's okay," I express. "I am not too upset about it anymore, because she backed down."

"You're right. She did, but honestly she isn't even worth wasting our breath over," Jess adds solemnly. "We need to do something to forget about her..." She suddenly squeals. "I got an idea! How about that double date plan I told you about? Jared has reservations for an indoor golf range tonight, and Jamie already is going out tonight with Jeremy to meet his parents. So me, Jared, you, and Sebastien could go!"

My eyebrows raise at the meeting parents revelation and I bite into my roll. "Wow. And um yeah okay," I respond smiling softly. "I'll ask Bash." Jess grins back at me.

Soon after, Bash arrives joining us at the lunch table where he was supposed to pick me up. He says hi to everyone and kisses me on the cheek.

"Ready to go Emma?"

I nod my head and say goodbye to everyone. Sebastien tosses my tray and we head to his place with the plans to finish the mindfulness extra credit session. We cross Nassau street and I notice a head of red hair a few feet ahead. My eyes panic and I clutch Bash's forearm tightly. But the girl turns and it is not Serena. I exhale in relief but Sebastien stops walking.

"Emma! Are you alright? What's wrong?"

He pulls us to the side of the corner and gathers my face in his hands. I look up at the concern rimming his eyes and I unleash his forearm. "Nothing. Nothing. I am being silly. I just had a sense of deja vu from a bad moment today."

He bites his lip and caresses my cheek with his thumbs. "Do you want to talk about it?"

I shake my head and take a deep breath. I briefly rearrange my thoughts, reminding myself that I stood up for myself and I don't need to be upset anymore. My heart rate calms down.

"I'm good! On a separate note, I wanted to tell you something else that happened today. I got the epidemiology research assistant offer," I mention grinning. I completely forgot about it until now. I grab his hand and tug him back along before nudging him in the side suggestively. "And Jess invited us out to a double-date tonight."

"What! That is amazing Emma! I am so proud of you. And Jess did?" He asks. He still is looking down at me with concern, but we resumed our pace walking. I nod my head.

"Sounds like a plan," he says. "It's perfect to celebrate your new position offer."

I beam back at him and we walk up to his house. I follow him to his room and Bash immediately cuts across the room to his dresser.

"I actually got you something," he mutters flipping open his drawer.

I put down my bag and return my attention to him. "You got me something?"

"It's not like a gift. It is not even new." He chuckles. "And it is a temporary loan."

I tilt my head. "Okayy. That sounds super suspicious. What is it?"

He pulls out a withered book frayed at the ends.

My mouth slacks. "You got me a book?" My eyes gleam in excitement and I extend my hands as a way to say gimme. Bash laughs softly and immediately hands it to me.

"Yep, one of the professors kept raving about it and he lent me the copy. I actually sat down and read it and I thought of you."

I look down reading the title and hug it to my chest.

"Aw, thank you Bash. That's sweet of you," I say sincerely and peck him on the lips. He grins at my reaction and I tuck the book delicately into my backpack. "Okay, let's finish this session and then text Jess and Jared," I say and sit down on his bed.

"For the double date?" He asks teasingly. He falls down next to me wrapping an arm around my shoulders. "If you had said Jamie and Jeremy invited us I might have been a little more apprehensive."

"What, why?"

"Because who knows what Jamie would cook up for an idea. I would honestly think she would make us going skydiving or something."

I shake my head laughing and he pulls out his laptop.

***

I press the ball into the tee widening my stance and swing. Finally, something I am better at Bash at. For the first time, Bash has the lowest score and I am internally grinning. We met up with Jess and Jared at the golf range an hour ago. I was a little worried I would be uncomfortable with acting differently in front of our friends, but things feel perfectly right. I watch as my ball flies hitting a 15-pointer and I smirk satisfied.

"Like that crazy psycho ex of Sebastien's did to Emma," Jess announces. I swivel around at her words at high speed. Shit!

Bash's eyes go wide. "Wait what? What crazy ex?"

"Nothing." I cut everyone off, my voice uneven. I set my golf club down biting my lip. Dammit, I didn't warn Jess I wasn't going to tell him.

"Emma, what was she talking about? What crazy ex?" Bash repeats coming toward me for privacy.

"I don't want to talk about it," I whisper averting my eyes. Of course, this had to come up now when we were all having a good time.

"What happened?" He urges.

"Can we talk about this later?" I say as Jared goes up for his turn with his left-handed club.

Bash gives me a frustrated look but pushes it aside for the rest of the evening.

***
*author's note*
Thank you for all the votes lately ☺️ ❤️

I only have a few chapters left that I am planning on writing. (I am thinking like 5? 😬) It is intimidating, but exciting at the same time!! Please vote :)

P.S. Do you think Emma should have told Bash?? And also I couldn't decide on the book he gave so use your imagination haha

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.4M 104K 50
"𝐈'𝐦 𝐬𝐨 𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐲 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐢𝐭 𝐬𝐜𝐚𝐫𝐞𝐬 𝐦𝐞." "𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐢𝐝𝐞𝐚 𝐨𝐟 𝐛𝐞𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐢𝐬 𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐈'𝐦 𝐚𝐟𝐫𝐚𝐢𝐝 𝐨𝐟."...
36.5K 1.2K 35
The story revolves around Emily Heartwood, who is hopelessly in love with her classmate, Vincent Zaphyr. Only if it was just a crush. Talking about...
5.7K 90 8
After the mysterious death of her father, Violet, a determined young woman, moves to London to uncover the truth behind his death. Living in a small...
26.1K 4K 69
Veronica is just a regular girl. A girl with big dreams for a perfect future. A girl who craved finding true love and not just the idea of it. A girl...