Impossible Dreamers

Da iansaville

Thousands of years in the future, our civilisation is just an ancient myth. Liana, a 13 year old girl lives... Altro

The Seren Number System
Chapter 1 (ir): Seren-ila, the best place
Chapter 2 (deg): Bartyronis. The weekly report
Chapter 3 (mek): Dreaming of Ralkino
Chapter 4 (que): Thought-scanner
Chapter 5 (fay): A World Beyond
Chapter 6 (nay): Scanning the Grabblers
Chapter 7 (ept): Megtwillow preparations
Chapter 8 (tag): The workshop
Chapter 9 (sag): Sag types of Impossible
Author's Note
Chapter 10 (dak): Forty Days
Chapter 11 (gell): A new direction
Chapter 12 (twil): Impossible possible
Chapter 13 (twil-ir): Drilling
Chapter 14 (twil-deg): A new sort of eruption
Chapter 15 (twil-mek): The strange Megtwillow
Chapter 16 (twil-que): Selentaya
Part Two (deg). Chapter 17 (twil-fay): History
Chapter 19 (twil-ept): The crossing dream
Chapter 20 (twil-tag): Send in the troops
Chapter 21 (twil-sag): Test flight
Chapter 22 (twil-dak): The parade
Chapter 23 (twil-gell): Life continues
Chapter 24 (degtwi): Prison
Chapter 25 (degtwi-ir): The education of Pritch
Chapter 26 (degtwi-deg): Invasion
Part Three, (mek), Chapter 27 (degtwi-mek): Climbing Greblara
Chapter 28 (degtwi-que): Pritch learns
Chapter 29 (degtwi-fay): Liana's work
Chapter 30 (degtwi-nay): Happiness and Invention
Chapter 31 (degtwi-ept): Barty learning
Chapter 32 (degtwi-tag): Caves
Chapter 33 (degtwi-sag): Hostel
Chapter 34 (degtwi-dak): A new control dream
Part Four (que), Chapter 35 (degtwi-gell): The dream Herago
Chapter 36 (mektwi): The cave Counsel
Chapter 37 (mektwi-ir): In the caves
Chapter 38 (mektwi-deg): Breaking the news
Chapter 39 (mektwi-mek): Recovery
Chapter 40 (mektwi-que): Naytwi-tag windows
Chapter 41 (mektwi-fay): Double control dreaming
Chapter 42 (mektwi-nay): Promotion
Chapter 43 (mektwi-ept): In the bag
Chapter 44 (mektwi-tag): The power of herelina
Chapter 45 (mektwi-sag): A new way with the scanner
Chapter 46 (mektwi-dak): Overlapping dreams?
Author's note
Chapter 47 (mektwi-gell): Dream dream
Chapter 48 (quetwi): Hope against hope
Chapter 49 (quetwi-ir): The changing mountain
Chapter 50 (quetwi-deg): Another Barty
Chapter 51 (quetwi-mek): The permit
Chapter 52 (quetwi-que): The box
Chapter 53 (quetwi-fay): Teaching Tyro
Chapter 54 (quetwi-nay): Dreaming with Silmoa
Chapter 55 (quetwi-ept): Paradox
Chapter 56 (quetwi-tag): Four wrists, two flyers
Chapter 57 (quetwi-sag): Tyropolis
Chapter 58 (quetwi-dak): Inventions
Chapter 59 (quetwi-gell): Elbissopmi
Chapter 60 (faytwi): Tyro's invention
Chapter 61 (faytwi-ir): The tunnellers
Chapter 62 (faytwi-deg): A new start

Chapter 18 (twil-nay): The extraordinary meeting

5 1 0
Da iansaville

The day after Selentaya was taken into the Bartyronian flying machine, the visitors left Seren-ila. The fact that they took with them two of the wisest and much-loved people of Seren-ila, not to mention all the wrist-flyers,  was a terrible blow. The Counsel of the Wise met to work out a plan, but after consulting all of the most important writings of Seren-ila, they were no closer to knowing what to do. This had never happened before.

The fact is that these people had lived in peace for a long, long time. They had no understanding of how to deal with somebody who wanted to do harm. They found it very difficult to believe that any grown person, in their right mind, would want to hurt another person, or even an animal. They had spent many, many years working together in harmony, as had their parents and grandparents, and they assumed that this was the way all human beings worked. Always.

They were wrong.

The Counsel of the Wise were desperate to recover Piacho and Selentaya. But how was this to happen? Since Greblara and all the other surrounding mountains were no longer spouting smoke, dust and the occasional flame, it would now be possible to reach the other side. In theory, at least. Wrist-flyers would have made it easy to search beyond the mountains, but without them, the only way to cross would be to climb the steep rock faces. A few people had attempted to climb Greblara in the past, and a few had got some way – maybe halfway up the mountain. But nobody had actually reached the flaming mouth of the volcano. Was it even possible? Even if anybody could get across, the next problem would be where to look for the missing people on the other side. Seren-ila was not big, but the world over the mountains was vast and unknown. Could people from Seren-ila even survive there?

It was hard for the Seren-ilians to understand that their wrist-flyers had been stolen. Stealing was not something that Seren-ilians could think about, because they had no idea of things belonging to one person or another. Things were there to be used by whoever needed them. Of course, objects like wrist-flyers – things that you wore on your body – were mostly used by one particular person, and that person would get used to that particular pair. At least, that would happen for a while. Until someone else had a good reason to use them. They only had to ask. It was unimaginable that somebody would keep something, anything, just so that somebody else couldn't have it. How would that help anybody?

A special meeting was called, to decide what next to do.

There was no hall big enough to hold all of the people who wanted, and needed, to come to this meeting, so it had to be held outdoors. People gathered in the big hollow space on the way to the lower slopes of Greblara, where the rocks could echo the loud voices of speakers so that everybody could hear what was said, and anybody could take part in the discussion.

This was different to any meeting in Seren-ila that Liana could remember. Not only because of the seriousness of the situation, but because for the first time ever, people strongly disagreed about what needed to be done.

It was a windy day. Liana looked over at the forest, and saw the tops of the trees swaying. The weather had changed since Megtwillow.

Elara took charge of the proceedings, standing on a platform made of dark wood, so as to be seen by people far back in the crowd. She was shorter than average, and her short hair was white. She leaned on a stick, looking around anxiously.

Since the departure of Selentaya, Elara was now the most senior member of the Counsel of the Wise. She began by outlining the purpose of the meeting. She sounded nervous as she spoke. This was strange to Liana, who had only ever heard Wise Ones speak with confidence.

'Fellow Seren-ilians, today ... well, today is one of the most unhappy days in the history of our happy land. We have lost two Trowster-Friends, Selentaya and Piacho. Even though Piacho no longer wears the Trowster cloak, for his own reasons, we consider him a Wise One. We have called this meeting to draw on the ideas of the whole people of Seren-ila, and to find a plan to restore our friends to their rightful place.'

Why did Piacho give up the Trowster cloak? Liana suddenly thought it was something to do with her, and her story, but really this couldn't be. Elara continued:

'I don't need to tell you also that we have lost some of our most valuable tools, Seren-ila's total stock of wrist-flyers. We may be able to replace them, but not without much work – many months of gathering herbs and weaving materials. And this work has always, in the past, been overseen by by our friend...' Elara's voice faltered, and she seemed to be near to tears, '... by our ... great friend Piacho. Without ...'

The wind blew away the next few of Elara's words, but Liana could see that she was upset. Others in the crowd were looking puzzled, and Elara realised that her voice was not carrying.

Elara stood as straight as she could, and spoke louder and with more determination. 'The Counsel of the Wise have met, and we have no answer to the question "what are we to do?". We are open to all suggestions. Please speak if you have an idea.'

Elara stopped and waited for a response. There was silence, except for the wind whisling through the trees.

At last, somebody spoke. It was an older man, whose name Liana didn't know, though she had seen him many times in the Central Square. He was not one of those who had been present when Selentaya was taken into the flying machine.

'Friend Elara, I understand your concern, but can we really be sure that the people from outside meant us harm? Could it not be that they kept the wrist-flyers by mistake? And might it be that Piacho and Selentaya have merely got so interested in the world of the outsiders that they have forgotten, temporarily, about their duties here? You know how fascinated those two are by new ideas. Perhaps they will soon return, with even more understanding of the way the outsiders do things, and they will have valuable knowledge to share with all of us. You know, we always find it best to look at their behaviour in the most positive way. As the Seren Way has it: "we always trust, lest we become untrustworthy".'

Some people seemed to agree with this, but Liana noticed that none of these were people who had been present at the confrontation with Selentaya. Silmoa, for example, was nodding along with what the man said. But other people were making their way to the front of the crowd so that they could speak. Among them was Trentaya, who reached the front and received a nod from Elara.

'Friends,' Trentaya began, 'I understand what Jaremo says...' and Liana remembered – Jaremo. She had heard his name many times. Jaremo had been a story-teller, like her father, Ralkino. But after Ralkino's disappearance Liana had hardly ever come across him. It seemed that there was something keeping him away from her and her mother. What was it? But Trentaya was continuing: 'We should trust one another. And we should trust others, including people that we don't know. We should trust people. That is the Seren Way. Usually. In normal times. But these are not normal times. The ... outsiders... have gone beyond trust. I think all of those who were present when Selentaya was snatched and carried into the flying machine will agree...' There were many nodding heads in the crowd, and some people shouted 'Yes, yes!' Trentaya continued: 'The outsiders attacked us deliberately, and they took our most effective means of fighting back...'

Some people were shocked by this speech. It was as though Trentaya was going against one of the most important principles of the Seren Way. Liana saw anger in the faces of some people, but it was hard to tell if this was anger with the outsiders, or with Trentaya. Even Silmoa seemed angry. Herago looked as though he was trying to work out the solution to a puzzle.

It was true. The outsiders had taken away the only power that Seren-ilians might have had against them. Was it possible, Liana thought, that this was deliberate? That these outsiders had known about wrist-flyers, and had come to their land actually planning to take them?

Liana suddenly thought about her dream. The strange box that had appeared in it. Why was she thinking about that? Things pop into your head for no reason.

Trentaya was speaking again:

'Friends in Seren-ila. I have lost the wrist-flyers that I used for many years. I know that wrist-flyers belong to all of us, but after Ralkino...' Trentaya hesitated, then started up again '...after Ralkino was no longer here, I continued to use this pair ...' Trentaya stopped and looked around, then started to speak again, '... I continued to use them, and for many years I have had sole charge of them. Sometimes I felt that this did not fit with the Seren Way, but...' There were some cries from people in the crowd - 'No!', and 'Nobody minded!', and 'It was always beautiful to watch you!', but Trentaya held up her hand and continued to speak: '... No, I apologise for taking them, because the truth is that it wasn't a Seren Way of doing things. But those flyers were my connection with Ralkino. They helped me remember his presence.'

Liana had known none of this, though now that she thought about it, she realised that her mother always had the same pair of wrist-flyers, whereas other people sometimes had to ask at the store for whichever pair was not being used. The pair she used was decorated with intricate designs, designs that reminded her of Ralkino. Though everyone knew Ralkino for his stories, he could also make wonderful pictures and patterns on wood, or paper or fabric. Liana had some of Ralkino's paintings on the wall of her sleeping room. They were the last thing she saw each night before she slept.

Liana tore herself away from thoughts of Ralkino, and listened again to her mother.

'Seren-ila has been generous in allowing me to have so much use of the wrist-flyers. I must admit that, although sometimes I flew to help with tasks that the Counsel of the Wise had set, much of my flying was just for pleasure. In this way, I used more of the energy of our community than I deserved. Now I cannot fly, but I want to pay you all back for all that energy.' More cries of disagreement, but Trentaya continued: 'Friends, I know Greblara. At least, I know this side of Greblara. I have studied it from the air; day after day, night after night. I know every rock and every pebble.'

Liana wondered what use this knowledge was.

'I am sure that I can find my way to the top of the mountain. Of course, I have no idea of the terrain on the other side, but I hope that coming down will be easier than climbing to the top. So my plan is that some of us form a party to cross the mountain, and then, when we are on the other side ...' Trentaya stopped. Everyone went very quiet, waiting eagerly to hear what would happen when the party was on the other side of the mountain.

'Once we get across the mountain, we will look for Piacho and Selentaya, and bring them home. We will need to find the Wise Ones of Bartyronis, and talk to them. They must be told that the people that were sent here have not behaved in a way that is kind. There must be people in their land who know that this is not a way to behave towards strangers. So we will also persuade the outsiders to let us have back our wrist-flyers, so that we can fly them home.' Trentaya stopped. The plan did not seem assured of success. But then again, it was the only plan they had.

Wind again blew through the trees, and everybody seemed to be listening to it.

Then young Bolseno spoke up. Bolseno not many years older than Liana, had already gained his Serenship. Liana remembered his showing well. Bolseno was a philosopher. His showing had been all about arguments, and how you resolve them. But he also showed how he could lift heavy weights using levers. She had been quite young, so hadn't followed all of the ideas, but she remembered it was amazing, in a way that was new to her. Bolseno would probably become a member of the Counsel of the Wise one day.

'I'll go with Trentaya,' Bolseno said. 'I don't know what we'll do when we get to the other side, but we have to do something.'

Others now put their hands up to speak. Liana also put her hand up.

Elara allowed Liana to speak, though she had no automatic right for her voice to be heard in this sort of meeting, as she had not completed her Megtwillow showing.

'I can climb,' said Liana. 'I can also sing – not very well, and dance – very badly, and come up with ideas that nobody else would think of. Most of them aren't very good, but a few are brilliant. So I would be a good person to go on the trip across the mountain.'

People smiled, and Herago shouted out 'Every word of that is true! And I also want to go on the trip.'

But Liana and Herago were not allowed to join the expedition. They were too young, and it was too dangerous. But other, older people, joined Trentaya and Bolseno. Soon there was a group of nay – six people – who would make the journey across the mountains. There would have been many more, but members of the Counsel pointed out that people needed to stay behind, as it was getting near to the time of grain harvest. There was some discussion of what the group would need to take with them. Various tools were suggested, as well as clothing for all sorts of weather – nobody knew whether the other side was warm or cold or rainy. They also decided that they needed something to make a shelter that would protect them from wind and rain. This was something that one of the party, Falera knew a lot about, having perfected a foldable habitation as part of her showing. Somebody suggested that weapons would be needed, having read in old stories that people had fought with such things, but nobody had any idea how to use weapons.

It was agreed that the group would leave next day. Now that Trentaya was leaving, Liana would stay with Herago, Silmoa and their father.

Continua a leggere

Ti piacerà anche

11 0 3
Welcome to the world 'worlds' exist in: The Eternal Realms. A quarter century stalemate. A rogue dictator posing as a savior. 'Enemies' in need of s...
22.8K 1.3K 24
| 14x 𝗙𝗘𝗔𝗧𝗨𝗥𝗘𝗗 · [Open Novella Contest 2022 Longlist] · Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson Saga meets The Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo. ...
3.9M 74.8K 89
*THIS BOOK NEEDS TO BE HEAVILY EDITED* TAKEN SERIES: BOOK ONE TW: kidnapping, manipulation, toxic/abusive relationship, violence, death, grief, self...
59.2K 1.1K 86
This will be the story of the Third Great Prophecy, a quest will begin with The seven, Reyna, Nico, Will, Rachel, Thalia, Grover, and a new girl whom...