The Last of Its Kind [AoT]

By WhatADrag6

A child forced to live life on the streets until the unprecedented calamity that claimed many lives and left... More

I
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
XI
XII
XIII
XIV
XV
XVI
XVII
XVIII
XIX
XX
XXI
XXII
XXIII
XXIV
XXV
XXVI
XXVII
XXVIII
XXIX
XXXI
XXXII
XXXIII
XXXIV
XXXV
XXXVI
XXXVII
XXXVIII
XXXIX
XL
XLI
XLII
XLIII
XLIV
XLV
XLVI
XLVII
XLVIII
XLIX
L
LI
LII
LIII
LIV
LV
LVI
LVII
LVIII
LIX
LX
LXI
LXII
LXIII
LXIV
LXV
LXVI
LXVII
LXVIII
LXIX

XXX

3.3K 127 57
By WhatADrag6

Kyra laid on a sleeping bag with her face completely covered with a blanket and her eyes thickly bandaged. She had passed out from the pain shortly after her eyes were covered.

Next to her laid a wounded Sasha who laid unconscious and wincing in pain. And next to Sasha laid Armin who was still unconscious after being pulled from his Titan form.

Armin woke up muttering, "Bertholdt." He looked around seeing that he was on top of the wall. A groan from Sasha made him look over.

"It hurts so badly." She groaned out in her sleep.

He looked at her, "Wait, are you--?" He stopped before moving forward lifting her blanket to see her bandaged wound.

"Whoa. Sasha! You're in horrible shape. What happened to you?" He asked in worry.

He stopped as he saw another figure next to her. His eyes widened seeing the body completely covered. He leaned over lifting the cover a little only to spot white hair.

Armin's eyes widened in horror thinking she was dead. "Kyra!" He said in fear as tears welled up in his eyes.

He pulled the cover off to see her eyes wrapped in bandages that were stained with blood where her eyes are. Tears fell as his hand went to his mouth. He glanced at her form only to lower his hand as he saw the rise and fall of her chest.

He gave a sigh of relief seeing that she was still alive.

"You're up!" A shout came as Armin looked over to see Eren running to him.

"Eren." Armin said only for Eren to run to him and hug him as tears formed in his eyes.

"Armin. I'm so glad you're back." He said causing Armin to grow confused.

Captain Levi moved up the wall, standing on top as he looked at Armin. "'Bout time."

Captain Levi walked towards Armin. "Captain. What happened?" Armin asked in confusion.

"I saw Bertholdt transform, but then everything gets kind of blurry." Armin said before gasping. Captain Levi looked over at Eren.

"Did we fight them off? Is everyone okay?" Armin asked.

Captain Levi pulled out a gun, "It sounds like your recent memory was just about wiped out."

"Huh?" Armin asked as Eren looked down.

"Eren. Tell him everything." Captain Levi ordered before glancing at Kyra.

"Sorry, Kyra." He said as he shot the gun shooting a smoke signal.

Eren told everything to Armin causing Armin's eyes to widen.

"Okay. Are you up to speed now?" Levi asked as Armin stared in front of him blankly before looking down.

"Yeah. We won. But of the Scout Regiment, there are only ten soldiers left alive. The ten of us." Armin said.

"That's what it looks like. The fighting ended four hours ago. We've been searching for survivors, but...no luck." Jean informed as Conny helped Sasha drink water.

"So, to be clear, we resealed Shiganshina's gate, securing Wall Maria. Reiner and the Beast Titan escaped, along with the quadruped. You managed to capture Bertholdt. And then, with both the commander and me wounded, you had to choose which of us to give the injection to. And you did. I transformed into a Titan and killed Bertholdt. I ate him." Armin said before gagging at the thought as he covered his mouth.

Jean went over handing him water, "Here."

Armin chugged the water down before gasping and panting.

"Why though? Why'd you pick me?" Armin asked quietly.

"No matter how you look at it, Commander Erwin's the one humanity needed the most." Armin continued before looking up to Captain Levi.

"Captain! Why'd you give me the injection?" Armin asked.

Levi clicked his tongue, "Tch. Hey." He kicked Eren in the back causing Eren to rub his back.

"I thought I told you to tell him everything, Jaeger. There was a short debate. Your friends here argued that you were the one we needed to revive. And when I disagreed, they staged a little mutiny." Captain Levi informed.

Eren and Mikasa looked down as Armin gasped turning to them. "It's true. Punish us as you will." Eren confirmed.

"You'll certainly be disciplined for your insubordination." Hange reminded.

"But don't worry you'll have a friend joining you. 'Cause she decided to disobey orders which is partially to blame for why she is in the state she's in now." Captain Levi said looking at the girl sleeping causing Eren and Mikasa to gasp before looking over to Kyra.

"But getting punished isn't the same as making amends." Hange added.

Eren grunted looking down, "I know."

"Thing is, I was the one who chose to revive you in the end. Or no. It's more like I chose this to be the place where Erwin died." Captain Levi stated.

"Sorry. I just don't understand. How could letting Erwin die be the right thing to do? What are the Scouts without him? If he's gone, then how will we go on?" Armin said as tears formed in his eyes.

"You're right, Armin. I believe it should've been used on Erwin, too. To be brutally honest--Nevermind. It's a shame we had to chose in the first place. It's over now. Erwin told Levi to use the syringe as he thought best. And Levi chose to use it on you. What's done is done. Erwin's life and the power of a Titan both rest on your shoulders. No matter what anyone says, that's the truth. It's part of who you are now. Accept it." Hange said.

"Wait... so does this...mean that I need to become Erwin's replacement? There's no way. I can't!" Armin said.

Captain Levi turned around glancing at Armin, "Don't misunderstand us. There's no chance in hell that you could replace Erwin. That said, your self-doubt aside, you have a strength within you that no one else can claim."

Armin gasped looking up at Captain Levi.

"Don't let any of us regret this. Not me, not either one of our mutineers here, nor anyone else. And especially don't regret it yourself. Consider that your new mission." Captain Levi said.

Sasha grunted as she gritted her teeth causing Armin to gasp, turning to her.

"Shut the hell up." She grounded out causing Kyra to growl.

"I will kick your ass off this wall, Sasha." Kyra muttered from her sleep as she gritted her teeth from the noise.

The two injured and sleeping girls caused everyone to turn and gasp looking at them.

Hange chuckled heartily, "Yup. That's our Sasha. She's always been one to speak her mind. And our Kyra isn't afraid to put anyone in their place. Good thing we put Sasha in the middle. Knowing our beautiful storm cloud, she probably would." Hange said smiling as she looked at the two girls.

"You know, since Erwin chose me to succeed him as commander, I'm more or less in the same boat as you. We'll just have to grin and bear it, while doing what we can." Hange said looking at Armin.

He looked down, "I'll try."

Hange closed her eye, "Good." She stood up.

"Now that we know Armin's all right, let's check out that cellar. Eren, Mikasa. You two can come guide me and Levi. The rest of you stay. Keep an eye out for hostiles from here on the wall." Hange ordered.

"--Right."

"--Got it."

"Eren, do you still have the key?" Hange asked.

Eren grabbed at the key that hung around his neck. "I do. Let's do this."

...

After thirty minutes a soft groan was heard as blankets shifted causing those left behind to gasp and turn their heads.

Kyra moved sitting up as she held her head. "Kyra! You're awake!" Armin exclaimed with teary eyes running to hug the girl.

The girl grunted softly, "Yeah. I'm awake. Where are we? And how long has it been?" She question softly with a hoarse voice as it cracked.

"We're on top of Wall Maria. You've been out for almost five hours. Here." Jean informed holding water to her lips to drink.

Kyra took a few sips, "Thanks. Can you pull my hood up, please." She requested softly. As Jean pulled her hood up as he saw the dark bruises around her neck.

"You had me worried. I almost had a heart attack. When I first woke up and saw your body covered, I thought you died...And then your bloodied bandages around your eyes-- I'm happy you're alive." Armin said in relief.

"Well, at least one of us is. I'm glad to see you're alive as well. I just overused my abilities." Kyra said pulling for the bandages at on her eyes.

She pulled them off revealing the blood stains on her cheeks almost like trails of tears. She blinked a few times wincing at the bright light as her eyes grew accustomed. "Which means I have a killer headache and want to crawl into a dark hole for the next week or at least until my skull stops feeling like it's splitting into two." Kyra said before standing up.

"Kyra, where are you going?" Armin asked.

"Yeah, you just woke up. You should be resting." Connie reminded in concern.

"Before we leave, I need to go see something." Kyra said putting on gear.

"Kyra, it can wait." Jean said.

Kyra shook her head, "No. It can't." She said as she jumped from the wall. The others watched in disbelief.

"Ky! Kyra! Damn it! I'll go with her." Jean said standing up and following after her.

Kyra landed on the ground as she looked around at the devastion of Shiganshina.

"Kyra, wait up!" Jean hollered causing Kyra to stop and look back.

He caught up to her, "What's so important that you need to see?" He asked looking at her.

She blinked slowly before moving forward, "There used to be a teahouse owned by a kind elderly couple. They had some of the best tea I've ever had. Whenever I was sick or it was cold they would bring me a cup of tea." Kyra informed walking down the street.

"Tea? You're here because of tea? Seriously, Kyra?" Jean asked in disbelief.

"Yes. Yes, I am. Hopefully, I'll be able to find some. If I remember correctly, there was one that helped with headaches." Kyra informed as she moved through the destroyed streets before stopping at a small house.

The house was still intact and undamaged, for the most part. "Here it is." Kyra said before walking through the opened door.

She looked inside as her eyes widened slightly. She glanced around before moving over as she spotted boxes of all different kinds of tea. She opened one looking to see if it was still any good, smelling it before nodding.

"After five years, it's still good." Kyra said pleased as Jean looked at the variety of teas.

She glanced over observing Jean's wrapped shoulder. "Between the both of us, we only have two hands." Kyra said in muse. Jean looked at her with a raised eyebrow.

Kyra held up her left arm showing the nasty brusing on her wrist and the bones that rested against her skin mishaping her wrist.

Kyra grabbed a table cloth from the table setting all the tea she can salvage before tying it and carrying it.

"We can go, now." Kyra said walking out the door. Jean followed grabbing the sack from her.

"You just woke up. I can carry it." Jean said causing Kyra to look at him.

"Thanks." She said softly as they walked side by side.

Jean glanced over at her eyeing her neck and then her wrist. "What happened to your neck?" Jean asked.

Kyra's eyes widened as her hand went to her neck touching it softly. She closed her eyes as she remembered what happened with Eren.

"It's not important." Kyra said softly as they ventured back to the wall.

"What happened on the other side of the wall?" Jean asked quietly causing Kyra to stop walking.

"Hell. But you've experienced your own hell as well. So I'm sure you can get some sort of idea." Kyra said before she continued walking.

They moved back on to the wall as Kyra sat down going through all the tea before pulling out one.

She made a fire to boil water as she found a cup. Kyra glanced over at Sasha. She stood up before kneeling in front of her.

She examined her wounds before sighing, "The only thing, I will be able to do in my condition right now is ease your pain, okay Sasha?" Kyra said as she put a hand to her bandaged forehead.

Her hand glowed as Sasha's face and body relaxed. Kyra ignored the blood that dripped down her eyes and nose.

"Kyra, you shouldn't be using your abilities after overdoing it." Armin scolded.

She looked over at him, "It's fine. Don't worry, Armin."

She moved back once she was certain that Sasha was in no pain. Kyra sat back down pulling her hood off as she undid her hair from it's updo, letting her hair fall, cascading down her back and to her waist.

She rubbed her head before pulling her hood back resting her head on her knees as she watched the fire.

She closed her eyes gritting her fist. That's right, once again I watched everyone around me die.

She hugged her knees closer to her chest, covering her face. And here, I am still doing a dance with death. Always dancing circles around with each other, but never once meeting in the middle.

Kyra opened her eyes slowly as lifeless red eyes looked past the wall. Her eyes glanced over at the fire hearing the water boiling.

She placed the water to the side before pouring some into a cup, and dropping the tea bag in. She looked down at the water slowly changing from a colorless substance to gradients of brown as the tea infused with the water. She watched as steam rose up from the cup drifting into the air. She stared emotionlesy watching the steam.

She moved her attention over past the wall as she waited for the tea to steep and cool.

She continued staring over the wall in silence, as she sat there, silently lamenting. She wondered what would've happened if she had chose to go against Erwin's request. Would I have survived if I saved everyone else? Would I still be here? Would Erwin be here? Marlo? Anyone? Damn it, I hate this feeling. The guilt. Watching everything around me vanish, as I stay behind. What a melancholy feeling.

Kyra picked up the cup taking a sip of tea, only to close her eyes relishing the taste of the tea that she hasn't had in over 5 years. It was like a rare delicacy filled with nostalgia, despite the details of her past.

She sighed softly feeling the ache in her head ease up with the more she drank. Armin sat down next to Kyra as she paid no mind to him. She just continued staring ahead lifelessly.

Armin looked over at her in worry, seeing the way her eyes were like two hollow red moons staring down on unforgiving darkness.

"Kyra, are you okay?" Armin asked quietly.

Kyra stayed quiet for a few minutes before her mouth opened and she exhaled softly.

"That's a loaded question, Armin. Are any of us actually, okay? Or are we just simply getting by, day to day?" Kyra said softly.

Armin's eyes widened as he looked at the girl before he looked down over the wall. "Good point. I don't think any of us are. What are you thinking about?" Armin asked causing Kyra to close her eyes as her lips pressed together firmly.

Kyra opened her eyes slowly as she turned to Armin, "How fate is a cruel, unforgiving, bitch." Kyra said dully.

"She is merciless, but why do you say that?" Armin asked.

"Just pondering what ifs, counting all the new blood on my hands...Only to remind myself that dead is still dead, no matter how you look at it." Kyra said bluntly taking a sip of the tea before sighing.

Armin looked over to Kyra before frowning as he lowered his head. "Yeah, I've been pondering that lately as well. What if... But looking at it now, I don't think I would change anything. You rely heavily on instincts and gut feelings. You trust in that just like we trust you for that. Could you honestly say you would change anything if you could? Would you really neglect your gut feelings and ignore your instincts? That's just not how you are, Ky. That's not the Kyra, I know." Armin said causing Kyra to remove the cup from her lips and press her lips tightly.

"The Kyra, I know, isn't afraid to take danger head on. The one who took out two Abnormals with almost nothing, risking her life to protect her friends. The one who will stand up strong and face anything thrown at her, 'cause she knew damn well that whatever they dished at her, she would throw it right back. In dire situations you act quicker than any of us. I turn to you, I look to you in times like those, because seeing your strength helps me face my fears. It's almost like your facing our fears for us, so we don't have to. Your instincts are sharp and your reflexes are fast, so would you really be able to go against what you do best?" Armin continued causing Kyra to glance at him before closing her eyes in thought.

She sighed, "I wouldn't, unless I knew what was best." She confirmed.

She opened her eyes slowly looking at the trees. Armin nodded, "I think we all wish we knew what was best." Armin said causing Kyra to nod.

"We're back." A voice was hear causing Kyra to look over to see Hange with her eye bandaged. Mikasa, Eren, and Captain Levi not far behind.

"Did you find anything?" Jean asked.

"We sure did." Eren said.

Hange noticed white long hair blowing in the wind. She turned to the girl walking to her, "Kyra, you're up. How are you feeling?"

"Fine." Kyra said bluntly before finishing her tea.

"How's your head? Are your eyes still sensitive to light?" Captain Levi asked.

"My head's better. The tea I snagged helped and my eyes still prefer the dark." Kyra informed stoically jabbing her thumb to the large sack of tea.

Captain Levi and Hange raised an eyebrow before looking at the table cloth that was filled with tea.

"Kyra, did you ransack the entire district?" Hange asked with a chuckle, walking to all the tea and examining it.

"No, that's just one place. Who knows how heavy that would be if she found another." Jean informed.

"No, just a teahouse I remembered. The owners were kindhearted elders. They would frequently come by with a cup of tea for me while I was on the streets. I remember they had one that helped with headaches, so I stopped by for a visit." Kyra said indifferently.

"More like, you cleared all the shelves." Jean retorted.

"Again, you didn't have to tag along, so don't give me the long face." Kyra said as Connie and Armin chuckled.

"Yeah, I did! You just woke up after five hours and decided to go run aloof somewhere. You wouldn't have even been able to carry this up here and yourself with one hand!" Jean retorted.

"I'm glad I could make you feel needed. Even if it was just as my personal jackass." Kyra stated causing Connie to burst out laughing and Jean to grumble under his breath.

Hange chuckled, "Yup. She's all right. Our Little Storm Cloud doesn't stay down for long." Hange said shaking her head.

"Yes. But that said, Kyra don't use your abilities for awhile, understood?" Captain Levi said sternly.

Kyra nodded her head, "Understood, sir."

Hange and Captain Levi looked at the tea examining it.

"Is this even good? It's been over five years." Hange asked as Captain Levi smelled a box.

"It is. It just needs to steep for a little longer than usual." Kyra informed before standing up and walking over to Sasha.

She lifted the blanket to examine her wound. She put the back of her hand to her face to check for cold sweat. "Good, she stopped sweating and her body relaxed, so I was able to take the pain away successfully." Kyra said lowering the blanket on her again.

"Kyra, what did I just say?" Captain Levi said sternly, glaring at the girl.

Kyra rolled her eyes before she turned staring at him stoically, "Not to use my abilities for a while, yes? I heard you clearly, sir. I used it while you guys were away, so that doesn't count. I was just checking to make sure she wasn't in pain." Kyra said indifferently.

Captain Levi sighed observing her before picking up a box of tea.

Eren looked over before his eyes widened spotting the brusing on her neck and the bone of her wrist no longer holding it together. Her wrist was swollen and heavily bruised. He looked down as guilt started to eat at him.

"Now, that we have what we need, let's go." Hange said.

...

They arrived back to Wall Rose, it was dawn of the next day. The group brought their horses to the lift before standing on the wall looking down silently as the crowd cheered loudly. Kyra winced at the noise. Man, they're loud.

Confetti had littered the air as green Scout flags waved back and forth by children. Kyra looked down blankly as a face nuzzled into her neck.

She placed her hand on Enzo's face petting him as he huffed. Kyra rested her head on his as she looked on. Little do they know that the ten they see now, is all that remains. Would they still be cheering as loud as they are now?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.6K 159 22
"floch was right, she betrayed us all" "all for eren yeager" hera finds herself stuck between the good and bad she joined the survey corps to be li...
4.5K 109 9
/dɪˈspɛː/ noun the complete loss or absence of hope. "a voice full of self-hatred and despair" !READER DISCRETION IS ADVISED 16+! !!TW; Alcohol use/a...
1K 34 12
⚠️Gore warning ⚠️ Attack on Titan AU. A few friends, A island, A week long festival filled with booze, drugs and sex... What could go wrong? *Based...
995K 27.9K 86
Suns had always been known to be the brightest light, but anyone whose ever met one particular girl would know her smile conquered all. She loved and...