Unfettered (Loki x Reader)

By TheseHallowedRoses

'You are my Valkyrie. And I would follow you across the nine realms and into eternity.' Tortured by HYDRA and... More

Author's Introduction to the Reader
Glossary
Prologue
Chapter 1 - Asset Alpha
Chapter 2 - Meeting the Family
Chapter 3 - How It All Began
Chapter 4 - Odinson
Chapter 5 - Laufeyson
Chapter 6 - More Flies with Honey
Chapter 7 - Playing With Fire
Chapter 8 - Pretending
Chapter 9 - Dinner
Chapter 10 - An Evening Visit
Chapter 11 - Fallout
Chapter 12 - Lied To
Chapter 13 - I'm Sorry
Chapter 14 - Now You See Me
Chapter 15 - The Truth Will Out
Chapter 16 - Withdrawal
*Chapter 17 - Twin Flames*
Chapter 18 - An Explanation
Chapter 19 - About A Girl
Chapter 20 - Locked Doors
Chapter 21 - Secrets
Chapter 22 - True Colors
Chapter 23 - Ask And You Shall Receive
Chapter 24 - Light Activity
Chapter 26 - The Game
*Chapter 27 - Unsatisfied*
*Chapter 28 - Bra Straps*
Chapter 29 - Mingling and Missions
Chapter 30 - Don't Lie To Me
Chapter 31 - Et Tu?
Chapter 32 - The Eir of Sin
Chapter 33 - The Gatekeeper
Chapter 34 - A Realm Far, Far Away
Chapter 35 - Homecoming
Chapter 36 - Someone Else's Problem
Chapter 37 - All The World's A Stage
Chapter 38 - Misdirection
Chapter 39 - Violent Delights
Chapter 40 - Forest of Arden
*Chapter 41 - Valhalla*
Chapter 42 - Small Spaces and Red Faces
Chapter 43 - Facing the Family
Chapter 44 - Adjusting
Chapter 45 - Ribbons and Trust Issues
Chapter 46 - Rusticis
Chapter 47 - See You Soon
Chapter 48 - Recalled
Chapter 49 - The Prodigal
Chapter 50 - A Godly Sacrifice
Chapter 51 - Summons
*Chapter 52 - To See*
*Chapter 53 - An Audience*
Author's Outro Note to the Reader

Chapter 25 - A Path To Freedom

34.7K 1.2K 1.4K
By TheseHallowedRoses

Okay. Just keep it cool. Stay calm.

You swallow the heartbeat that has pounded its way into your throat. With a sweat-laced grip on your crutches, you hobble off the elevator into the Lab. Right there, in the middle of the room, stands Tony - red faced with arms cross tightly against his chest.  Over his shoulder stands Bruce. You catch his eye, seeking an indication of how this talk is about to go. But he does little more than cast you a warning glance.

Crap.

"Y/n," says Tony curtly. "Would you please step into my office?"

"Wow, so formal," you tease, trying to abate the tension. "What's this about?" you ask innocently.

"We need to talk," says Tony. 

He turns on his heel and strides back to the tall double doors in the back of the lab that separate the lab clutter from his personal clutter. Stomach churning, you hobble after him, shooting Bruce a death stare on the way past. He grimaces under the weight of your stare and takes a subtle step back and away.

"You too, Jolly Green Giant. Don't think you're going anywhere," Tony calls out over his shoulder.

"Shit," mumbles Bruce under his breath.

Together, you and Bruce take a seat in the leather chairs of Tony's office as he leans on the front edge of the desk, only an arm's length away.

"So, Y/n, I hear you're advocating for a jailbreak."

Your gaze flits to Bruce - murder in your eyes - before stammering back a response to Tony.

"Wha-me?!" you say, feigning surprise. "No way, I was just...well, Banner told me you were worried about him spending so much time alone up there. Time to plot, right? I mean, no one wants that."

"And so your solution is to what?" Tony huffs. "Just let him out? Let him waltz around the tower like it's his own goddamn stage?"

"Well, no, not exactly," you say. "You see, I-I thought maybe that...well, it could make sense for -."

"Hell, I know you're new at this," Tony interrupts. "But here's a bit of crime fighting 101 - don't let a rat out of its cage."

"Right, I agree," you say, growing flustered. "B-but Tony, what are we going to do with him? I mean, he's just going to stay in there? Forever?"

"That's the idea," Tony snarks.

"But what if we didn't have to deal with him anymore?" you argue. "Thor said he could go back to Asgard if-!"

Tony holds up a single hand before bringing it to his bridge of his nose, trying to rub away his irritation. "Listen, squirt. You've got a big heart. And I know you've spent time with Rock of Ages up there, but if you think he's changed, you're wrong."

The tips of your ears burn as an angry heat rises in your cheeks. But you force yourself to stay calm and take a deep breath, lest you give your secret away. For a moment you consider using your Perception to find a better way to play Tony's emotions. But you squash the idea the moment it arises - Tony would know. You need a different approach. A different tactic. 

"Tony, we're the Avengers, right?"

Tony looks up at you, a look somewhere between annoyance and intrigue on his face. "No, we're the Merry Wives of Windsor. What's your point, kid."

You wince at his derogatory use of the phrase 'kid', but ignore it.

"So we're the good guys?"

"Get to the point," Tony frowns.

"It just...doesn't feel like we're doing much good in this situation," you offer.

Tony laughs, shaking his head. "We're keeping a homicidal god off the streets of New York. Doesn't get much good-er than that."

"I mean we're not doing any good for Loki," you say hesitantly, expecting a snarky response or an indifferent shrug. But Tony's gaze narrows, as if waiting for the punchline. So you continue. "We're supposed to fight injustice. Right wrongs. Restore order. We're supposed to uphold the law in the pursuit of all that is just and moral, right? To seek change."

"That's a little too 'Steve Rogers' for me, kid, but sure. Fine. What of it?"

"How can we say we're doing that if we don't even give people a chance to show us that they've changed?"

Tony pauses, brow furrowed. For a moment, it seems like he's actually considering your assertion. But the skeptical expression returns. 

"He's a God of Lies, kid. You really have no idea -."

"But why?" you interrupt. "I mean, really. Honestly. Why is he the God of Lies? Because he says so?"

"Well, uh, yeah," Tony sighs, exasperated. "Him, his brother, and about anyone else who has an opinion on the little termite."

"Then I'm useless, right?" you question angrily.

Tony recoils, staring at you in confused silence.

"That's what they all called me," you say. "All those HYDRA scientists. Every last one of them thought I was useless. Dangerous. Uncontrollable. Worthless," you spit. "That's all they ever said I was. They used to say it so often I believed them."

"You were a victim," Tony retorts. "That's not the same."

"How's it any different?" you challenge. "Because after hearing it so many times I let myself be exactly what they called me. I'd lash out. I'd hurt people. And for a split second at the end, there, I...I-," you inhale sharply to keep the waver from your voice. "There was a light. When SHIELD showed up that day, I saw a light. A hole blown right through the side of the tunnels. And for a moment there I'd have killed everyone around me just to make it to that light."

"But you didn't," Tony says softly.

"No, I didn't," you say. "Instead I took Phil's hand."

Tony sighs, and starts rubbing his temples again. "Honey, that's not-."

"He didn't know me, Tony," you urge. "All he knew about me was what he read in some HYDRA scientist briefing he found scattered all over the floor, or what he overheard from some whimpering guard. To him, I was all those things. But he still offered me his hand."

Tony bites back any response that may have been laying on the tip of his tongue. You can see the effort it takes as he fights with himself. But you can tell he isn't convinced. Not fully. Not yet.

"I've been inside his head," you state. "Actually inside of it. And yes, it's strange, and confusing, and full of trickery. But you know what's also in there?" you ask, seeking Tony's gaze. "Regret. Isolation. Loneliness. A longing to belong. To not feel so damn alone. Just like me."

Tony and Bruce both stare at you in silence, until Tony lets out a burdened sigh. "He's not you, squirt," Tony says. "And what you're asking for...it won't be easy."

"I'm not saying it will be," you say quickly. "And I'm not saying we should trust him. Not right away. But I am saying that based on what I've seen, he's deserving of a chance to earn our trust."

"Maybe she's right." From the shy and almost surprised look on his face, Bruce seems equally as surprised by his words as you and Tony. But he swallows nervously and steps to your side, placing an awkward, but reassuring hand on your shoulder. "Maybe if we give him a shot to not be a jerk, he'll go back to Asgard. Right?" Bruce questions, shooting you a glance.

"Right," you answer.

"You've gotta admit, Tony...it'd be nice to have another God on our side," Bruce says almost in a whisper. You send him a thankful glance. He returns it with a small smile.

Tony's gaze flits between the two of you. A barrage of emotions that you wish so desperately you could read with your Perception fly across his face. Until Tony seems to settle on one - resolve. 

"Fine. But listen closely kid - he puts one toe out of line. He makes one misstep, and he's done. No second chances. He's up there in that tower until Thor pries JARVIS's override codes out of my cold, dead hands."

You nod quickly and quietly at Tony, accepting his terms. "I agree."

"He'll be free to leave the tower tomorrow," Tony sighs, as if already regretting his decision. "I need to get another room ready."

"Doesn't Pepper usually do that?" you ask.

"I don't think I can ask Pepper to do anything and come out of that encounter alive yet, squirt."

You stifle a laugh as you remember the sofa in the living area that Tony had turned into his personal quarters the last two nights.

"Banner," sighs Tony. "Go let the little green man know about this...development."

"M-me?" Bruce stammers. 

"Would you rather I wake up the Russian spider queen from her nap?" Tony snarks.

"No!" Bruce says a little too quickly. "No, I uh...I'll go."

"I'll go with you," you whisper to Bruce.

As you both head for the lab doors, you stop and turn back to Tony, angrily tapping away at something on his computer.

"Tony," you call out. He glances up, impatient. "Thank you. For trusting me."

"Yeah, yeah. Whatever, Rogers Junior. Just don't make me regret letting you go on this redemption quest," Tony huffs, waving his hands in the air as the lab doors shut in front of you.

Giddy as you hobble into the lift, you can barely keep the tremble from your fingertips. And it only worsens the closer you get to Loki's floor. When the elevator dings, a cold rush of adrenaline sends butterflies flapping in your chest. But you let Bruce lead the way, following him closely as he asks JARVIS to open the security door, and you both slink in to Loki's apartment.

"You're early," you hear Loki call from down the hallway towards his bedroom. Unable to warn him that Bruce was with you, you watch as Loki rounds the corner shirtless, holding the same Shakespearean play he'd been reading and re-reading.

"Early for what?" Bruce says, a shocked look on his face.

Loki looks up, and his eyes quickly flit between Banner's look of repulsion, and your red face in your hand. A sinister smile spreads across his lips.

"For visiting hours, scientist," Loki says, all traces of civility gone, replaced with his usual bitter sarcasm. "I'm usually only graced with visitors in the later evenings," he says suggestively.

You shoot Loki a glare that clearly says I will kill you without a thought, but he gives you a covert wink. He's playing with you. 

"Okay...I don't know what that means," Bruce says nervously. "But could you please put on a shirt?"

"Oh," Loki grins. "A please? How delightfully quaint."

"Come on, man," Bruce complains. "Just cover up."

"Tsk tsk tsk, scientist. I know many a mortal whose flesh reddens at the sight of a God," Loki says, staring directly at you. You refuse to look away. You won't lose Loki's game. 

 His gaze shifts back to Banner. "Although, perhaps, maybe I should be looking for more a greenish hue from you."

Bruce's palm flexes at his side, the veins on the back of his hands starting to pop.

"Get dressed, Loki," you shoot back, intervening. "Then come out here. We have information for you."

Loki arches one brow at you and gives you both a small bow before retreating to his quarters. He's enjoying the game. And he's enjoying that you're playing.

"Well that was weird as shit," whispers Bruce as soon as Loki leaves the room.

"He's just trying to mess with you," you whisper. "He does the same thing to me. Don't let him get to you. It'll only make it worse."

Only a few seconds later, Loki appears around the corner, fully changed. But you let out an uncontrollable gasp as you see what he's wearing. 

For the first time, Loki has put on the human clothes you brought all those weeks ago. And he looks - stunning.

Dressed in a perfectly-fitted, green v-neck t-shirt underneath a black sport jacket with black jeans, your eyes can't help but caress his body...taking in just how normal he looks. 

Bruce looks over to you when you gasp, and you haphazardly grab at your ankle.

"You okay?" Bruce asks.

"Yeah," you seethe through your teeth. "It's just this annoying pain that won't seem to cooperate.

On Loki's face is the same sly grin. He's enjoying watching you struggle to play his game.

"Now, what information did you have for me, mortals?" Loki says leaning casually against the wall.

"Y/n, do you want to tell him? It was your doing, after all," Bruce says, clearly eager to get the hell out of there.

Unsure if you have the strength to get through the whole thing without stumbling or tripping over your words, you decline. "It's all yours, Banner."

"Well," Bruce says, turning to Loki. "Tomorrow you'll be free to go."

You can't help but relish the look of complete and utter perplexity that briefly crosses Loki's face. It lasts only a second before it is replaced with suspicion. But it's enough to put you back in the game.

"Free to go?" asks Loki.

"Free to go...anywhere in the Tower," you reply coldly, feeling steadied by Loki's momentary lapse of control. "But you haven't been authorized to step foot outside the confines of the tower."

Loki stares at you, a sinisterly playful fire in his eyes.

"And who authorized this, might I ask?" Loki questions.

"Stark signed off," you say. "But know this Loki, you get one chance. The moment you step out of bounds, it's over. Tony will have you right back up here in this tower."

Loki locks eyes with you. You don't back down, returning his gaze with equal intensity.

"Ooookay," says Banner after a few moments of silence. "Well, that's all we had. Let's go, Y/n."

"Go ahead Banner. I want to make sure our new friend here isn't going to try anything with this new information he has. I'll need some time."

"Right," says Banner, already halfway to the door. "You don't need me do you? No? Great," says Banner, clearly uncomfortable in Loki's presence. "I'll be down in the lab."

You hear the security door shut behind you, and the elevator's mechanics as it travels down the tower. But you don't dare check to see if Banner is gone. You're still locked in Loki's gaze, playing his game - and you'll be damned if you lose.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

252K 8.7K 48
Most people dream about coming face to face with the Avengers. But you just happened to be short on luck that fateful day. After the Avengers interru...
47.7K 2.1K 77
LokixFem!ReaderxBucky IMPORTANT: A little message to those who may not have read the full description: You end up with one of them, not both. This is...
74.9K 2.1K 50
As a HYDRA experiment you can't seem to feel anything anymore until you meet the tall dark haired man he's sour at first but sweet comes eventually t...
970K 9.8K 18
'If we are fated, my Valkyrie, it matters not the path we choose, our destination will remain unchanged.' If you and Loki are to remain together, you...