My Dark Haired Neighbour (Sev...

By snapelover2021

Esme is a 25 year old witch living in spinners end with her unstable mother and alcoholic father. What will h... More

The man across the road
The bar
The stream
Father
Tension
My bold heart
Uncovered
The end of bliss.
Christmas

Getting to know him

1.1K 68 72
By snapelover2021

Chapter 4

I took advantage of the empty house, washing my hair quickly in the shower and letting the warm water run down my body.

I switched the water off and cast a drying spell over my body, pulling on my clothes again.

I looked out my window in my bedroom. Ezra and Severus were still in his front garden, pulling up the plants.

Severus seemed to be doing all the work as Ezra drew patterns in the dirt and talked enthusiastically about something. I assumed it was Queen or another band he liked as Severus was nodding and talking back just as passionately.

The sun bared down on them and Ezra had taken off his t-shirt however Severus was still in his jeans and jumper, sweat beading on his forehead.

I watched them for a bit, Ezra attempting to pull a plant and falling over into the mud. Severus pulled him up gently and wiped the mud off his chin.

It was a very sweet gesture and I blinked. Ezra smiled at him and threw his arms around him, Severus looked taken aback and seemed to stiffen  for a second before relaxing and patting him on the back.

I went downstairs, the thought of this scene making my heart swell. I took a can of Coca cola out of the fridge and going back upstairs.

I sat at my desk, picking up my quill and then putting it down again. I thought about what Severus had said 'If you have any doubts, don't do it'

I put the essay into a folder, I was going to throw it in the rubbish bin yet I couldn't. I didn't want to in case that I needed it again.

Severus and Ezra were no longer in the front garden, I could see them in the kitchen. Severus sipping from a mug and Ezra sitting on the table, his back to me.

I smiled as Severus reached over and put a record on a player, Ezra seemed to jump with excitement as he pressed play.

I wasn't sure at what point I fell asleep at my desk, only that I woke up to quiet footsteps walking past the door. 'Ezra?' I called.

'Its me' Severus said quietly 'I let myself in, he fell asleep. I assumed the bedroom painted with dinosaurs is his?'

'Yeah it is' I said, rubbing my neck which was aching madly from falling asleep in such an awkward position. 'Thanks Severus'

'Its no trouble' he muttered.

'Do you want a cup of tea' I said, standing up.

'Okay then' he said, following me down the stairs. I put the kettle on and Severus leant against the counter. Pulling out two mugs, I put the teabags in before filling it 3 quarters of the way up with boiling water and adding milk.

'Sugar?' I asked him and he shook his head, taking his tea and drinking deeply as steam billowed out.

'Thank you' he said.

I drank my own tea, blowing on it gently. I hadn't realised how tall Severus really was until now, standing in my kitchen with him.

As I looked up at him we both started to smirk, fighting the urge to laugh. I broke first and started giggling, Severus joined in a few moments later. Neither of us had any idea of what we were laughing at yet stopping was proving to be very hard.

Once we had finally stopped laughing I pulled myself up onto the counter. 'So Severus, what's your secret'

He gave me a confused look. 'Secret..?' he asked, raising his eyebrows.

'Your a quiet wizard living in spinners end, you don't talk much. You seem to be a stereotypical secret keeper'

He looked satisfied with my answer and seemed to consider what he was about to say. 'We all have secrets' he replied simply.

I shrugged at his response and returned to my tea. 'Do you want to stay for dinner?'

He looked confused again, his brow furrowing. 'You want me...to stay for dinner..?' he asked.

'Yeah, we haven't got anything gourmet but we could have spaghetti' I said, smiling at him.

Severus looked at his feet 'Ok, I like spaghetti'

I pulled a pan out, pouring the sticks into the water. I added salt and Severus walked over and pulled an extra pan out.

Silently he took the tomatoe purae out of the cupboard and poured it into it. Taking a spoon out he stirred it slightly.

When we finally put the food onto
plates it was delicious. We carried them out into the front garden, sitting on the front step.

'This smacks' I said and Severus snorted 'Smacks? What on earth do you mean'

'It means like, this is really good' I told him, and he shook his head.

'You do like spaghetti a lot don't you?' he said, putting a forkful into his mouth.

'Yeah, how did you know?' I said, eyeing him suspiciously.

'I'm not a stalker, I swear' he laughed 'You had it yesterday as well'

'Oh yeah, I forgot about that' I said, swallowing my mouthful of food. 'Severus what did you add to the sauce, its bloody brilliant'

The sun was setting and reflected red into his dark eyes 'That's a secret I'll never tell' he said.

He was watching the sun sink down below the roofs opposite. Our knees knocked together as we finished our food, the sky darkening, large shadows being cast by the disappearing sun.

Severus put his plate down onto the pavement and leant back putting his hands on the floor behind his back. A cool breeze ran down the street, pushing his hair off his face.

He looked at me and a smile crossed his face before turning back to face forward. 'What?' I said.

'Nothing' he said, the smile fading slightly but not disappearing.

I felt the overwhelming desire to grab him and kiss him, I pushed this thought down and looked away. Colour rising in my cheeks.

Severus stood up and picked up our plates, I went to get up but he said 'Its alright, I'll take them and then I'll come back' he said and disappeared into the house.

I rubbed my cheeks furiously, trying to make the blush go down. I wasn't sure why I was feeling like this about a man I had known for not even a week yet.

I shook my head as Severus came back outside. The sky was almost completely dark now, stars peeping out at us.

I stifled a yawn and he glanced at me. 'Are you tired?' he asked.

'No' I said quickly, rubbing my eyes.

'I can go, let you get some rest?' he said, going to stand up.

'No Severus it's fine, I'm not even tired' I said quickly.

He scrutinised my face, glancing at my tired eyes. He raised an eyebrow, 'Let's go inside' he said.

We went into the house, and Severus ran a finger along the bookshelves that lined one corner of the living room wall.

He pulled out a book and said 'Do you mind if I read for a bit, I've been looking for this copy for a while'

'No no of course, take what you want.' I replied, picking out my own book.

We sat on opposite ends of the sofa and pulled open our books. The setting was calming, the lamps lit and the house quiet.

My eyelids were starting to droop slightly and I felt myself drift off to sleep.

Opening my eyes, I found myself still on the sofa. Lying not in the position I had been in earlier but on Severus' chest.

I stayed completely still, wondering if I was dreaming and felt Severus' steady breathing against my cheek. I didn't want to move but if he woke up and found me here it could get awkward.

Just as I thought this I felt him stirring and shut my eyes in mock sleep. I could feel his eyes on me and tried to breathe evenly.

I felt him reach down and push a strand of hair off my face and tucking it behind my ear before gently moving me off him and standing up.

He pulled a pillow under my head and disappeared into the bathroom. I smiled slightly to myself at his tender touch.

I heard him come back, take a quill out of the draw, scribbled a note and left the house quietly, shutting the door gently.

I opened my eyes and rubbed them, grabbing the note that Severus had left.

Esme
You fell asleep and I didn't want to wake you. Thank you for letting my borrow the book, it is most enjoyable
Severus

I ran my hands over the note, pocketing it quickly and standing up. Ezra was sat at the top of the stairs, his eyes fixed on his gameboy.

He glanced up as her saw me and said 'Is Severus your boyfriend?' he asked, forwadly.

I choked on my own saliva 'No, what makes you think that'

'You were asleep together on the sofa, I went to get some water and you were all cuddled up' he said indifferently.

'Oh erm no- we just fell asleep- like that' I said awkwardly, and continuing to climb the stairs.

'Can Severus be your boyfriend' Ezra continued

'What-'

'I like Severus, can he be your boyfriend'

'Erm- No Ezra that's not really how it works' I told him, going into the bathroom to brush my teeth.

He followed me, leaning against the door 'Why not, you guys are friends so why not just be boyfriend and girlfriend'

'Ez, drop it' and he did. Storming off to blast his music, taking advantage of the absence of our parents.

I sighed and put some toothpaste on my brush, cleaning my teeth. I was glad that Severus had thought I was asleep. It would save awkwardness for the next time I saw him.

I made myself some toast and jam, and Ezra stomped down the stairs. He was still in his immature huffy 9 year old boy stage and was giving me the silent treatment.

I put a plate of toast in front of him and he ignored me. Rolling my eyes I sat back down on the sofa, eating my own toast hungrily.

My book lay on the small table and I picked it back up, finding my place on the page again and continued to read. My thoughts drifted back to last night and this morning.

How carefully he'd pushed my hair off my face, how gently he'd pulled me off him onto the pillow. I blushed again even thought he wasn't here to see it.

I leant back on the pillow Severus had fallen asleep on, inhaling his scent. I wasn't sure why I felt the way I did, it frightened me slightly but at the same time it felt right.

I rubbed my eyes and groaned slightly. Why did I have to feel like this.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

32 0 4
Severus Snape is Hogwarts stone cold Potions Professor, Albus Dumbledore's double agent, and the Dark Lord's "trusted" death eater. He prides himself...
636K 22.1K 22
{ 𝐈 𝐜𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐝 𝐟𝐞𝐞𝐥 𝐬𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐛𝐫𝐞𝐰𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐢𝐧𝐬𝐢𝐝𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐦𝐞. 𝐋𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐚 𝐟𝐚𝐢𝐥𝐞𝐝 𝐩𝐨𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧, 𝐰𝐚𝐢𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐨 𝐛𝐮𝐛�...
40.4K 1.2K 25
[y/n] [l/n], an 18 year old girl from America transfers to Hogwarts in her 6th year of her wizard schooling in an attempt to build a new life and fle...
1.4K 70 17
22-year-old Nova Vinch, a former Durmstrang student, is Hogwarts' new professor and tutor in Slytherin House. However, her arrival is deeply unwante...