Death's Gift

By PotatoModeActivated

After the war Harry distances himself from everyone, feeling empty. He spends a year in solitude, only writin... More

Chapter One - The Plan
Chapter Two - The End
Chapter Three - His New Beginning
Chapter Four - The Move
Chapter Five - The Grangers
Chapter Six - Hogwarts Letters
Chapter Seven - Slytherins
Chapter Eight - A Deal with the Enemy
Chapter Nine - Tied up Ends and Tea Dates
Chapter Ten - Christmas Holidays
Chapter Eleven - "Acquaintances"
Chapter Twelve - Back to Hogwarts
Chapter Thirteen - A Bad Feeling
Chapter Fouteen - Problems in Paris
Chapter Fifteen - Join Me
Chapter Sixteen - Again?!
Chapter Eighteen - A Friendly Chat
Chapter Nineteen- The Attack
Chapter Twenty - The Next Step
Chapter Twenty-One - Getting into the Order
Chapter Twenty-Two - A Meeting
Chapter Twenty-Three - Some Good and Bad Company
Chapter Twenty-Four - An Unorderly Order
Chapter Twenty-Five - Dealing with the Dark
Chapter Twenty-Six - Family Reunion
Chapter Twenty-Seven - Distancing
Chapter Twenty-Eight - Reuniting
Chapter Twenty-Nine - Teacher Troubles
Chapter Thirty - Friends?
Chapter Thirty-One - A Needed Conversation
Chapter Thirty-Two - Tom's Expression and Hermione's Surprise
Chapter Thrity-Three - Realized Feelings
Chapter Thrity-Four - Christmas Break Crisis
Chapter Thirty-Five - The First Night
Explaination
Until the next chapter, Check out my Other Stories

Chapter Seventeen - Second Year

11.2K 566 101
By PotatoModeActivated

Death's Gift - Chapter Seventeen
Second Year

The rest of the summer flew by for Harry. With the compulsions off he started to feel more at peace with himself and started leaving his room again, meeting up with friends, hanging out with Sirius and Remus. One thing that had changed though was that Harry had started talking to Voldemort, a lot. The man had begun to lecture Harry at times about his views and the things the ministry had done to make Wizards more muggle. Such as the banning of Yule and Samhain rituals, and replacing them with Halloween and Christmas. The thing that surprised Harry the most was that it all made sense, why Voldemort had done the things he did, why he was fighting. It also made sense why everyone on the light side a oblivious to it all, Dumbledore wasn't just manipulating Harry, he was manipulating everyone. A few times Voldemort had entered Harry's mind when he was thinking about those kinds of things and chuckled, Harry cursed him for always appearing at the worst times. He would never openly admit to it but he was actually starting to see the truth to the other side of the war, the side that he'd been forced to ally with, the side of Voldemort.

Harry was returning to Hogwarts in a week and he was currently at Flourish and Bolts, under a glamour so that people wouldn't recognize him. Sirius and Remus had taken to doing this as well, surprised that Harry knew the spell. He was up on the second floor, looking for interesting books when he remembered something that happened here last time.

'Is Lucius going to give Ginny the diary again this time?' Harry asked Voldemort in his head.

The moment that Harry was forced to open his mind to Voldemort the man had had gone through everything that was in it. Coincidentally, finding out about everything that had happened to Harry, this life and the last.

'No. I won't have my Horcrux destroyed.' Voldemort said.

Harry rolled his eyes, 'By now you've killed me probably at least twenty times, you have no problem destroying the Horcrux that's inside of me.'

'The part that is in you comes back with you when you come back. So I cannot destroy it.'

Harry scoffed, getting a weird look from the lady that was standing next to him in the book shop. She moved away slightly and Harry realized that to everyone else he'd just scoffed out of nowhere. A realization that seemed to be amusing to Voldemort.

'You needn't worry about anything happening over this school year, after all, I cannot make any attempt on your life while you're in school.'

'I always knew I was forgetting something. I can't believe I left that bloody loophole in.'

'Yes, perhaps that is why you didn't make Ravenclaw.'

'Shove off.'

The chuckling voice faded away and Harry continued looked for an interesting book.

.          .          .          .          .          .          .

Harry walked out of a fire place on onto platform nine and three quarters, joining Remus, Sirius right behind him. After giving both men a hug goodbye, Harry boarded the train along with Hermione, Neville, Fred, and George. The five of them getting a compartment together. Harry unwrapped his invisibility cloak that he had temporarily attached to the top of his trunk and Anemone slid out, resting on the empty seat next to him. She's gotten too big to be concealed under Harry's robe in any way. The group of young marauders joked and talked the whole ride there, Harry, Fred, and George planning a few more pranks for the new school year, Hermione and Neville occasionally joining in . When the train reached Hogsmeade station Harry waved bye to them and got into a carriage with Draco, Blaise, and Theo. Harry and Blaise striking up a conversation about an essay they had to write for Defense Against the Dark Arts. Once the carriages reached Hogwarts the group of four made their way into the Great Hall for the sorting ceremony and the start of term feast. Harry didn't really pay attention to the sorting, except for when he briefly caught eyes with Luna who winked at him before walking over to the Ravenclaw table, sitting down next to Hermione. He eyed her for awhile, wondering just how much she knew, before he chose to leave it. Luna will be Luna. After the sorting was finished Dumbledore stood for his speech, Harry's scar started searing with pain.

'Would you control your anger at seeing him? I hate him too but that's no reason to be causing each other pain.' Harry told Voldemort's his mind.

There was no response but the pain subsided so that it was at a light throb as Harry zoned out during Dumbledore's speech. The one thing that he did pick up on, and was incredibly happy about, was that Quirrell was the Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor again instead of Lockhart. Harry hated the fraud, he would've just skipped all of his classes if he'd been installed to teach again. Once Dumbledore's speech was over the food appeared and Harry started to eat, occasionally joining in on some conversation between himself and his friends.

.          .          .          .          .          .          .

The year flew by. Soon it was time for quidditch try outs and Harry had to be present to challenge those who wanted to try out for the seeker position, of course, only one person was trying out to be a seeker, Draco.

'I've never seen the point in quidditch. The whole sport is useless, the snitch gives you too many points.' Voldemort said in Harry's mind.

'The point is that it's made to be fun for the players as well for those in the crowd. It's a form of entertainment, but of course you wouldn't know anything about that.' Harry drawled.

'I will have you know that Crucioing those who have defied you tends to be pretty entertaining.'

'That's just sick.'

'Oh, but enjoying the sight of someone crying at your feet isn't?' Voldemort shot at him.

Harry paused, he knew that Voldemort was referring to Ginny.

'Touché.'

Voldemort chuckled.

'Though you're wrong about quidditch.' Harry told him defensively.

'Whatever you have to tell yourself to justify your inferior choice of games.'

Harry rolled his eyes, 'Whatever you have to tell yourself to justify your boring-ness.'

'I am not boring.' Voldemort stated.

'Whatever you have to tell yourself, Tom.'

Harry's scar stung for a split second before he felt Voldemort left his mind. Harry laughed and shook his head. He walked onto the quidditch pitch, right up to Draco, smirking.

"You ready to be humiliated when you try to beat me?" Harry asked him.

Draco scoffed, "Please, I'll be the one humiliating you."

"Ladies please, enough with your little gossip session." Neil told them, he was standing in for Flint today since their captain had detention.

The two of them mounted their brooms and flew up to their starting positions on opposite sides.

"First to catch the snitch will be the seeker this year." Neil told them, releasing the snitch.

Harry and Draco waited for the quaffle to be released, beginning the chaser try out, and taking off for the snitch as soon as it was.

.          .          .          .          .          .          .

Winter break was approaching and Harry had started packing to go home, he was looking forward to seeing Sirius and Remus again. Taking a break, Harry decided to go to the library to read for a bit. He left the common room, walking up from the dungeons. Once he reached the library he started going up and down the shelves, looking for an interesting book, hopefully one on Runes or Arthrimacy. As much as Harry tried not to read too much into the subjects so he could actually learn somethings while at Hogwarts, he couldn't help himself. He turned down another isle and was met with a sight that he would've never expected to see. Luna was sitting on the floor wrapped in a blanket, her back up against the shelves, a book in her hands and one lying open on her head. Harry smiled and shook his head, walking over to the blond girl.

"Hey Luna." Harry greeted, sitting down next to her.

She looked up from her book and smiled at him, "Hello Harry, or should I call you Harrison? You seem to be going by that now."

Harry laughed, "No, Harry's fine."

Luna nodded, looking at him with big eyes, "Would you like to join me?" She asked.

Harry raised an eyebrow, "What do you mean?"

"You're looking for a book. Would you like to join me while you read?"

Harry smiled, "Sure."

Luna picked the book off of her head and put it onto Harry's, she looked at him for a moment and then nodded as if it all made sense. Harry laughed and picked up the book, reading the cover, low and behold it was an Arthrimacy book. Luna picked up a side of her blanket, motioning for Harry to move closer. Harry scooted over and Luna dropped the blanket over his legs as well, going back to her book. Harry smiled at his friend, starting to read his own book as well.

. . . . . . .

Just a few days later Harry was leaving for winter break. The Weasleys were all in Romania visiting Charlie so Harry, Sirius, and Remus spent Christmas at the Logbottoms. Though he was soon back at Hogwarts with his friends, the end of second year approaching. Ever since that day in the library, Luna had started joining the study group, fitting right in. She also hung out with Harry, Neville, Fred, George, and Hermione, becoming apart of their group, the last marauder, as well as when it was just Harry, Draco, Blaise, and Theo. None of the Slytherins held resentment for Ravenclaws, but Draco seemed to think that Luna was a bit on the crazy side. At first Draco had taken to calling her "Loony Luna" as most others did, but that only made Luna giggle. So the blond had started ignoring her, something that only made Luna try to interact with him more. Harry could help but roll his eyes at the two of them, he had a feeling that Draco secretly enjoyed the company of the airy Ravenclaw, though he would never admit it. Kind of like himself and Voldemort, though Harry would deny it until the day he chose to die.

.         .         .         .         .         .         .

What felt like far too soon, the end of the year was only a matter of days away. Currently, Harry was sitting under the same tree that he was last year by the Black Lake. He found the spot calming and he could sort through his thoughts. He realized a while ago that he'd been wrong about what Voldemort and his followers wanted. They wanted Wizarding way brought back, the banned rituals and holidays. They wanted muggle-borns to be brought into their world sooner so they could adapt and learn their ways instead of telling us to change them. They wanted freedom of magic, all of them understanding what Harry understood. The type of magic used didn't matter, it was the intent behind the spell. Though what he hadn't thought about was if he would actually willing help Voldemort. He wanted to see the same changes happen within their world and although Harry didn't like the way they would have to go about it, he knew that it was the only way. It also got Harry wondering that if he wasn't forced to join Voldemort in the first place would he have joined him later on, realizing this? He didn't know.

Harry looked out over the lake at the setting sun.

'The scenery around Hogwarts is truly breathtaking.' Voldemort said.

'Yeah.' Harry agreed.

'I know what you've been thinking about.'

Harry didn't reply.

'If you truly want to see changes happen in our world, and if you truly want your revenge against Dumbledore, I have something that I wish to speak to you in person about.'

'And how to you suppose we do that?' Harry asked, 'I can't exactly walk up to Sirius and Remus and ask, 'Hey can I go visit Voldemort for a chat?' now can I?'

Harry could practically feel Voldemort roll his eyes, 'Simply ask to visit a friend that day, perhaps that Ravenclaw girl who you seem to be close with.'

Harry raised an eyebrow at Voldemort's tone, 'Hermione?'

'No, the little blonde one.'

'Oh, Luna?'

'Yes, her. She seems to be quite interested in you.'

Harry outright laughed, 'Oh Merlin's beard no. Luna's just a friend of mine who always seems to know about everything.'

Voldemort didn't reply and Harry rolled his eyes, 'You're acting like a jealous schoolgirl.' He teased.

"I am not a jealous schoolgirl." Voldemort told him, making Harry laugh again.

'Whatever you need to tell yourself, Tom.'

Harry's scar stung before Voldemort left his mind, Harry started laughing again. He stared out at the horizon, his thoughts filling with those of the dark lord. He may not ever admit to it, but he was quite fond on the other's company.

.         .         .         .         .         .         .

Harry secured Anemone in his invisibility cloak before dragging his trunk along with him out of the Slytherin dorms and down to Hogsmeade, Hermione catching up to him.

"I still can't believe that the chamber never opened this year." Hermione said.

Harry looked up at the sky, "I never killed Voldemort last year, so who knows. Maybe he made sure the Lucius kept his diary this time."

Hermione paused, "I guess so. Although, he isn't in the back of Quirrell's head anymore. He hadn't been since about spring last year."

"Do you think he stumbled across the ritual he did in fourth year at the graveyard sooner rather than later this time?" Harry asked.

Hermione shook her head, "Why would he? He was so fixated on finding the stone that he wouldn't be looking at other ways to come back, plus we haven't done anything to make that information more accessible for him."

Harry nodded, "Who knows, maybe he just found a different body to occupy."

"It's possible, but why would he? Quirrell was the closest to the stone."

"I dunno Hermione, but if he does find a way back I'm sure we'll know."

Hermione nodded, "Definitely."

The two of them boarded the train along with the twins and Neville, Luna even joined them one they got to a compartment. Harry let Anemone out of his cloak and Luna had immediately become fascinated with her.

"Wow Harry. I knew you had a snake but I never knew she was so beautiful." Luna said airily, stroking Anemone's scales.

"I'll make sure to tell her." Harry told Luna, *Anemone, Luna thinks that you are very beautiful."

Anemone turned to him, *She is most pretty herself.*

Harry laughed and shook his head, "She says that you are quite pretty yourself."

Luna beamed and continued to stroke Anemone, who curled up in her lap. The train departed from Hogsmeade and just like that second year had gone by.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.6K 603 13
It's a year after the second wizarding war, Lord Voldemort has been defeated, Harry Potter has come back to Hogwarts to finish his final year of scho...
302K 12.6K 50
Harry Potter and Draco Malfoy are both invited back to Hogwarts to complete their Seventh Year. After some time and a few chance meetings, they reali...
356K 11K 48
It's been 6 years since the war. Harry and Ginny broke up soon after, and he's living a peaceful quiet life finally not having to fight the bad guys...
73K 2K 43
Harry Potter, the Chosen One, the savior to the wizarding world, hasn't talked to anyone all summer. He has to go back to Hogwarts to finish his 7...