Anchors; Theo Raeken [2]

By xTribridx

Ava Dunbar thought she had the whole being a werewolf thing under control after the war especially since she... More

authors note
anchors
act one
one; dreaming
two; co-captains
four; realisations
five; confessions, tears and pizza
six; movie marathon
seven; bullets shot
eight; triggers
nine; spy trio

three; thinking of the future

2.6K 69 44
By xTribridx

Ava was right when she said she would feel better after lacrosse practice. She was slightly apprehensive that the other players, aside from Nolan, would still have some kind of issue with her being on the team with them. She found she was worrying for nothing when they apologised, making Ava relieved that it really was all to do with the Anukite that caused their disgust and fear towards her.

Practice went by without any problems, and Coach was clearly happy that the team had put all of their issues behind them because according to him, lacrosse is more important than anything else.

Coach dismissed the practice after informing them that would be playing against Devenford Prep that Friday night. It was currently Monday so Coach told them all that they would be having extended practice for the next two days with early morning and after school practice, with Thursday as a resting day before the game.

"Now, if we lose this, you all will be doing suicide runs until you die. Brutally. And painfully!" Coach exclaimed and waved them all off the field and ordering them to not do anything stupid to risk their chances at winning the game.

Ava was about to follow Corey off the field, but Coach held her back looking serious for the usually frivolous man. Corey looked at her curiously and she gave him a look and he disappeared but instead of following Nolan and the others, he went over to where Mason and Theo were in the bleachers along with Isaac who must have turned up at some point during practice which Ava didn't notice.

"So, Dunbar. I have some good news that I think you would like to hear." Coach said and he smiled again and put his arm around Ava's shoulders.

"I'm all ears, Coach." Ava said but she felt some kind of dread in the pit of her stomach from the uneasy expression that was previously on the man's face.

"As you know, it's the time of year for college scouts to come find the best of the best." Coach started. "And I may have a friend coming down to the match on Friday."

"Scott said that he'd never known of any scouts coming here before." Ava said.

"Well, just between you and me... you're the best of the best, kid." Coach said honestly. "And no offence to McCall, he just seems to always have a lot on his hands. And I don't think he could cut if professionally, he has the potential but what is it he wants to do with his life again... something with animals-"

"A vet." Ava said, biting her lip and trying not to laugh.

"Exactly." Coach said and clapped his hands once. "But you... with your baby face, are the best I've seen in years. Besides myself in my old days."

"Thank you, Coach-" Ava started but Coach Finstock interrupted her holding his hand up.

"Now, don't go getting all big headed. Stop it." Coach commanded. "I can see what you're thinking. But, yes, I have a scout coming on Friday. So you better not mess this up."

"Okay." Ava said with a small smile. "I'll be ready."

"But there's bad news as well." Coach said, now taking on the serious expression from before.

Of course there is. Ava thought to herself and looked over towards Theo, Mason, Isaac and Corey, all of whom were clearly trying to listen into the conversation she was having.

"So, I'm guessing you know that ever since you became a student here, the coach from Devenford hasn't came to any of our games with them. It was always that assistant coach. And I know you had a bit of trouble with the coach and something with a car." Coach began explaining and Ava realised what he was trying to say to her, and she was pleased that he was trying to be subtle rather than his usually blunt self.

"He's going to be here Friday then. Is that what you're trying to say?" Ava asked, feeling calmer than she thought she would be.

Ava hadn't seen her old Coach since she trashed his car a few years prior, but she was getting a feeling that her world was going to turn on it's axis come Friday.

•••

Theo and Mason continued watching the practice after Theo put the necklace away and avoided Mason's question about it. Mason cringed when Corey fell down in the goal after trying to catch the ball that Nolan threw into the goal successfully.

"He's getting better." Theo finally said, trying to be supportive. "That's the first time that's happened... today."

"Yeah." Mason sighed. "You're right. Anyway, on a more important note... when are you going to make things official with Ava?"

"What do you mean?" Theo asked, looking away from Ava who was running across the field in front of them.

"I mean when are you going to ask Ava to be your girlfriend?" Mason clarified, his expression suggesting that Theo should have known what he meant.

Is she not already? Theo thought, panicking slightly at the idea that he'd finally got Ava to admit that she liked him and he was under the impression that she was now his girlfriend.

His confusion must of shown on his face as Mason looked at him curiously. "Oh, you have already? And she didn't tell me. Unbelievable."

"No. No, um, well I didn't realise-"

A shadow appeared over the two, and Theo stopped his uncharacteristically nervous rambling and turned to see Isaac stood behind them watching the players on the field.

"Hey." Isaac said nodding at Theo who nodded back.

"Oh, wow." Mason mumbled after catching sight of the newcomer.

Theo watched Mason's expression to try and see if he had noticed the same thing Theo did when he first saw Isaac. Mason momentarily looked confused with recognition in his eyes, before he went back to checking Isaac out.

"Can I?" Isaac asked pointing at the seat between them both.

"Absolutely." Mason agreed and rapidly picked his backpack up that was sat between him and Theo and put it on his lap. "I'm Mason."

"I figured." Isaac grinned. "Ava's best friend. I'm Isaac. Scott said I should come watch her practice. Stiles said she could even give Jackson Whittemore a run for his money, well at least that's what I gathered from his less than friendly words."

The practice finished and the players began clearing off the field, Corey came over to where they were sat but Ava was staying behind to talk to the Coach about something.

"Why does coach look scarily happy?" Mason asked and they all looked over at Coach who had his arm around Ava's shoulders in a kind of fatherly hold.

Theo listened in to what the two were talking about down on the field and then turned to Mason and Corey to explain.

"Some college scout is coming to the game on Friday." Theo said and Isaac nodded along, obviously having eavesdropped too.

"That's great." Mason said excitedly. "Who are you playing?" He asked turning to Corey.

"Devenford Prep." Corey said and Mason grimaced slightly in response.

Theo suddenly picked up on Ava's heart heat increasing significantly so he listened into the rest of the conversation he'd stopped eavesdropping into.

"She'll be fine." Mason said assuringly.

"What's the problem with Devenford?" Isaac asked curiously. "Is it something to do with Ava's stalker?"

"No." Mason denied. "But it's Ava's story to tell. But it's fine, even though Friday's a full moon. Nothing can go wrong."

"Her old Coach is coming to the game." Theo revealed after hearing the end of the conversation and Mason's optimistic expression fell in an instant.

Mason opened his mouth repeatedly a few times, trying to think of something to say, but before he could think of anything, they were interrupted by a loud shout.

"Is that Lahey?!"

They all looked over at Coach who had noticed Isaac in the stands.

Theo's eyes followed Ava, who took that as her opportunity to leave the field. Following her lead, Theo slipped away from the other three who were distracted by Coach Finstock's excitement.

•••

Ava ran back into the school after she pointed out Isaac in the crowd, and Coach was then distracted so she took that as her chance to leave.

She got to the girls locker room and stripped out of her lacrosse gear and went into the showers. She turned the shower up to its hottest temperature and steam filled the room. Ava got so lost in her thoughts as the burning water covered her body and the calmness she previously was feeling disappeared so she kicked the wall in front of her.

"Ow." She groaned and looked down at her foot that felt like it was already bruising and healing again.

That pain momentarily took her away from thoughts of the future, which was something Ava hated thinking about. That's why when Mason and Corey couldn't talk about college when she was around or she would freak out. She was happy with what Coach had arranged for her, but she was also begin to panic so she kicked the wall again, but harder, to try and remove thoughts about her future.

"Are you okay?"

Lost in her mind, she didn't hear the door open or anyone come inside and she nearly screamed but managed to catch herself.

"I'm fine." She said looking at Theo over her shoulder.

She went back over to her locker and wrapped her towel around herself and grabbed her clothes from inside her locker.

"You're old coach is coming on Friday?" Theo asked rhetorically, when she didn't make any sign that she was going to say anything.

"Yes. And I'm fine with it." Ava said, her voice wavering with her lie. "Absolutely fine."

"Friday's a full moon." Theo reminded her.

"Yeah, clearly life's just out to get me." She grumbled. "But I don't wanna talk about it. I don't even want to think about it."

Theo stepped closer to her and his hand came up to cup her cheek. "Ava-"

"I don't want to talk." She repeated, but she threw her arms around his neck and pulled him down to kiss her.

•••
A/N
Hey everyone, hope you're all enjoying the story so far. Let me know what you think, I love reading people's comments and suggestions or theories.

Let me know you're enjoying with a Vote and Comment
<3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.3K 385 75
Aurora Martin. Smart ass. Student. Witch. After years of hiding her true self in the shadows, everything changes after winter break of sophomore yea...
1.1K 22 10
Sadie despises cockiness when it comes from anyone but herself- and, being a werewolf whose sense of control has magically vanished, that leads to a...
13.2K 507 7
❛ You had your heart on your sleeve the last time, Took it so seriously the last time ! ❜ samantha rojas, newly certified skeptic, thinks she's going...
108K 5K 52
[BOOK 5] "𝙞 𝙣𝙚𝙚𝙙 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙩𝙤𝙪𝙘𝙝 𝙤𝙛 𝙨𝙤𝙢𝙚𝙤𝙣𝙚 𝙚𝙡𝙨𝙚, 𝙩𝙤 𝙨𝙖𝙫𝙚 𝙢𝙚 𝙛𝙧𝙤𝙢 𝙢𝙮𝙨𝙚𝙡𝙛 - 𝙞 𝙣𝙚𝙚𝙙 𝙖 𝙣𝙚𝙬 𝙖𝙣𝙜𝙚𝙡." F...