My Dark Haired Neighbour (Sev...

By snapelover2021

Esme is a 25 year old witch living in spinners end with her unstable mother and alcoholic father. What will h... More

The bar
The stream
Getting to know him
Father
Tension
My bold heart
Uncovered
The end of bliss.
Christmas

The man across the road

1.9K 85 69
By snapelover2021

Chapter 1

I sat and stared out of the window into the street below. The heat of the day making my T-shirt stick to my back, I rested my chin against the cool glass pane and sighed.

The street was deserted except for a man, he was kneeling in his front garden pulling weeds and planting flowers. No one ever made an effort with their gardens in Spinners End except him.

He usually disappeared for long periods of time and by the time he would get back they all had died or been destroyed by the older lads down the lane.

My essay sat in front of me, ignored and unfinished. I heard bounding footsteps leaping up the stairs and Ezra barged into my bedroom.

I didn't take my eyes off the dark haired man, 'Your meant to knock Ezra, I'm working go away'

Ezra walked out of the room, knocked on the door and walked back in again. Why were 9 year olds so annoying. 'Whatcha working on?'

'Stuff for the ministry, now go away' this wasn't exactly a lie, the essay I was writing was being ignored but I was trying to write it.

'No your staring out the window, what you even looking at?' and he walked over, I diverted my eyes from him. 'Nothing, just go away Ezra this is important'

'Geez sorry didn't know you were that interested in staring at some cobblestone' and with that he walked out of the room.

'Shut the door' I called after him, he ignored me leaving it as wide open as he could. I sighed, stood up and slammed it shut.

I hated having it open, I could hear my parents fighting downstairs. Yelling about something stupid that any ordinary couple wouldn't give a shit about.

I rubbed my forehead with the palm of my hand and picked up my quill again. I needed to finish this essay, I was applying for a job as Head of Magical Law Enforcement.

This was the only peice of work I had to do this summer and I had promised myself to do a page a day for 5 days. I was already onto the 10th day and only 2 pages had been completed.

'This is useless' I thought, putting my ink pot away, it was simply too hot to concentrate.

I went back to staring out the window, my eyes fixing again on the man. It was over 25°c but he was in a black jumper and jeans.

He stood up, brushed his mud stained hands against the fabric of his trousers and looked up. Straight at me. I hastened to look away and smacked my face off the window.

He raised an eyebrow, seemed to half smirk and walked into his house. I blushed scarlet, rubbing my bruised chin.

I had never spoken to him, I don't think anyone did. But then again Spinners End wasn't really a sociable place.

I sighed and read through what I had written so far, it all sounded so childish. Talking about dreams of when I was younger of wanting the job.

I groaned and stood up, a nice walk might clear my head. 'I'm going out' I called to my parents as I headed toward the front door.

'Take Ezra with you' shouted my mother.

'No way' and I left the house before she could argue with me. There was a slight breeze that cooled my face.

In the winter the village became disgusting, people just dumping rubbish everywhere but the summers weren't too bad.

I walked along a field, still damp with the morning dew. The air was fresh and the sun was bright.

I climbed onto the fence and sat there, breathing in the smell of the flowers around me. I wondered why they hadn't been destroyed yet, surely the kids had been here before to wreck them.

I took out a small notebook out my pocket and a biro, obviously I wasn't going to bring a quill here. I started scribbling down some of my ideas for the essay.

The sun reflected off the paper, shining into my eyes. I heard footsteps in the grass and looked up. The sun was still bright and I couldn't see whoever it was face but there was no mistaking that dark hair and black jeans.

The man across the road was making his way across the field, he didn't appear to have seen me. I went back to my writing, not wanting to seem like I was staring at him although that was all I wanted to do.

I tucked my hair behind my ears and tried not to smile as I heard him getting closer. I looked up, he was a mere 4 foot away now.

He saw me and his lips twitched slightly, they formed into a sort of smile. More like a smirk but not in a patronising way.

I nodded at him and he climbed over the fence and continued on with his walk. I turned to watch him, he glanced around and rolled up his sleeves.

I could see a tattoo on his forearm but not what it was. He turned back, and saw me watching him again. Raising an eyebrow and shaking his head he faced forward again.

I put my head in my hands, embarrassment coursing through my body, that's the second time he's caught me staring at him.

I rubbed my eyes and went back to my work, I sat there for another 3 hours, waiting to see if he'd walk back this way. Maybe I could speak to him rather than communicating through nods and him seeing me staring at him all the time.

However he didn't come back and it was getting too hot to sit there. I packed away my notebook and pen and stood up. Hopping off the fence, as I stepped off I got my foot caught in the gap and almost fell flat on my face.

Someone caught me though, strong arms lifting me back onto my feet. It was the dark haired man 'Try to be more careful' he said.

'Oh uhm thank you' I muttered, blushing furiously as I looked at my bleeding shin.

I bent down and wiped the blood off it, the man raised an eyebrow. I had to talk to him now or I might not get another opportunity before he disappeared for another year.

'I'm Esme by the way' I told him, he nodded. We began to walk back towards the village in silence.

Just as we reached our houses he said quietly 'Severus'

'Pardon?' I said, not knowing what he meant.

'I'm Severus' his voice was deep and oddly soothing. I smiled at him and he did his half smirk.

I went into my house, as usual mum was in the kitchen, loudly clattering pans and pots around and my dad was sitting on the sofa reading a newspaper, scowling at her back.

I climbed the stairs without saying hello to either of them. Ezra was sat at the top of the stairs, his head on his hand. I felt bad for not taking him with me, he needed to get out of the house as much as me.

However if I had taken him I might have never met Severus. I scooted past Ezra, ruffling his hair slightly 'Leave off' he scoffed, pushing my hand away.

Once in my bedroom I muttered 'Severus' trying out the name. It rolled off my tongue smoothly. Like my mouth was made to say it.

I whispered it again, going back to my spot my the window. I looked at his house, as if he might walk out of it and come and see me.

I copied down what I had written at the fence onto my parchment and cast a healing spell over my shin which was stinging rather badly now.

My mind drifted back to Severus, his quiet nature made me wonder what he was like really. I really wanted to speak to him again but who knew if I'd have the chance.

I knew he didn't go out often, I saw him go for walks, sort out his garden, go to the pub and to the local shops but that was mainly it.

I looked at my watch, 18:22. I sighed and stood up. Stretching my back, just as I turned to leave the room, something caught my eye outside.

Severus was walking along the road, heading toward the local pub. He looked up into my window where I was standing. He raised his hand slightly in a sort of wave. I smiled at him and waved back.

I went downstairs, my face stretched into a wide smile. It faded when I got into the kitchen my mother wasn't there and my father was passed out on the sofa with a bottle in his hand.

I sighed, taking it from him, throwing a blanket over him and putting it in the fridge.

'Ezra' I called quietly, so not to wake Dad.

'Yeah' he replied, appearing at the top of the stairs.

'I'm gonna go down to the pub and get some food, you stay here ok?' I told him, putting a pair of trainers on.

'Please can I come with you, I don't want to be alone if he wakes up' he gestured toward our snoring father.

'You'll be fine, if he wakes up just tell him I'm getting him food and do what he says and it'll be ok, I promise'

I headed out the door, the sun was behind some clouds now and the sky was slowly darkening. The shade was a lot different to the sunny heat of earlier and a shiver passed through my body as I headed toward the Pub.

Despite the reason that I needed to go to the pub I felt slightly exhilarated at the thought that Severus might be there.

I fingered the ten pound note in my pocket and hoped it was enough to buy 3 packets of chips. If mum wasn't there to eat it then that wasn't my fault.

I arrived at the Silver Earl pub, pushing open the door and wincing as the loud chatter and smell of alcohol hit me.

My eyes searched the room, but no dark haired figure came into sight. I sighed and walked up to the counter '3 packets of salted chips please' I said, handing him the money.

The man behind the bar nodded, took my order to the kitchen and went to serve someone else on the far end.

A drunken looking man came and stood by me, tottering slightly. 'Y'alright sweetheart' he slurred, leering at me 'Can I buy you a drink'

'No thank you, I'm just getting food' I said, turning away from him.

'Don't be a spoilt sport girly, come sit with us lads' he said gesturing wildly to a group of older men. All drinking and staring at me.

'I said no thank you' The man put his hand on my waist trying to pull me over to the group.

'What do you think your doing' came a voice from behind me, the man let go of me straight away. Severus stood there, he towered over the man. His back eyes narrowed and his hands clenched onto fists.

'Jus' having some fun, Severus. No need to get all het up' said the man, moving away from me more.

'I suggest you and your friends go find somewhere else to have fun that isn't harassing girls who have no interest in you' Severus said coldly.

'Alright alright, I'll leave pretty alone' and he stamped back to the rest of his group, muttering darkly.

'Are you ok?' he asked me, quietly.

'Yes thank you' I said, giving him a small smile. Just then my chips arrived, and I picked them up.

'Can I walk you home, you shouldn't be out around here after dark' he was speaking in a low polite tone, much unlike the one I had heard him use with the drunken man.

I nodded at him gratefully, and he pushed open the door and held it for me. 'Thanks again Severus' I said, as we rounded the corner onto our street.

'Its no trouble' he muttered, he waited until I had got inside before turning around and heading into his own house.

I woke up my father, a task that should be approached with caution as he was as likely to act like a lion if he wasn't in a good mood.

It was alright though, I gave him his chips and he fell asleep halfway through them. I sighed and threw the wasted food into the bin, Ezra and I ate in my bedroom.

We played cards and he told me about the stuff he begged me to tell him stories of the wizarding world. Being the only magical person in my family I sat and I told him the stories of Dementors and Azkaban which was his personal favourite at the minute.

'Do you think you're the only magical person in Spinners end?' he asked eagerly.

'Possibly, wizards and witches are very good at concealing themselves. We could be surrounded and have no idea' I said.

'Cool' he sighed, 'Wish I could do magic'

I didn't have a response to that so we sat in silence. 'Did you see where mum went' I asked him.

'I think she went off into town'

I groaned, it was 4 miles in the opposite direction to the pub. The sky was almost dark now and I knew I would have to be the one to find her. Maybe if I asked Severus to come with me.

On second thoughts that was probably too much to ask. How do you go up to someone who you met today and say 'Excuse me, but can you come with me to find my mentally unstable mother'

'She'll be back soon Esme, you don't need to go and find her' said Ezra worriedly. He didn't like being alone in the house with our dad.

I nodded and took our empty packets downstairs. Picking up yet another empty bottle off the floor and throwing it in the recycling bin.

Ezra went back into his room, I heard his Walkman playing quietly. I smiled to myself slightly, before collapsing onto my bed. I was exhausted but I couldn't fall asleep.

Severus flashed through my mind like a sideshow. I rubbed my temples with the palms of my hand and slowly I fell into a broken sleep.

Out of habit more than anything else I jumped anytime there was any sound. I heard my mother come home around 2 and my father shouting at her. 

Ezra appeared in my room 'Are you awake'

'Of course I am, are you ok Ez?'

'Yeah, can I have a cuddle, I don't like everyone shouting' he said mournfully.

I held out my arms to him and he climbed into bed beside me. I covered his ears and he relaxed and eventually fell asleep.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3K 70 17
22-year-old Nova Vinch, a former Durmstrang student, is Hogwarts' new professor and tutor in Slytherin House. However, her arrival is deeply unwante...
23.5K 346 32
*COMPLETED* Aurora Snape, the daughter of Potions Professor, Severus Snape, goes to Hogwarts at 11 years old. During her time there she fall in love...
27.7K 897 25
Shes in love, madly in love with the wrong person. A person who cant give her what she wants. NO wont give her what she wants. Hermione Jean Granger...
72 0 5
(Y/n)'s whole life changes when she finds out she's a wizard, a Muggleborn. Her new life is full of mystery and magic, and maybe even some romance wi...