The Reject

By icarus_rising97

'I've been rejected by everyone ever since I joined this pack.' A wolf orphaned at the age of 11, Jessie has... More

The Reject: Why
Chapter Two: Never Too Late
Chapter Three: Runaway
Chapter Four - Breathe
Chapter Five - Blown Away
Chapter Six - Vanity
Chapter Seven - Today Is The Day
Chapter Eight - Never Too Late (FINALLY!)
Chapter Nine : Unknown
Chapter Ten - What to Do?
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve - Try
Chapter Thirteen - Red
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen - Up All Night
Chapter Seventeen - Lonely Boy
Chapter Eighteen - Skyfall
Chapter Nineteen - Somebody That I Used To Know
Chapter Twenty - Kickin' With You
Chapter Twenty One - When The Lights Go Down
Chapter Twenty-Two ~ Everything Has Changed (Yes, it has)
Chapter Twenty Three: Knock Knock
Chapter Twenty-Three - Come To Me
Chapter Twenty Six - Sort Of
Chapter Twenty Seven - Better Than Words
Chapter Twenty Eight - Nothing's Wrong
Chapter Twenty Nine: The Longer I Run
Chapter Thirty: Mess Is Mine (Part One)
Chapter Thirty One: Have I Told You (Part One)
Chapter Thirty Two - Have I Told You (Part Two)
Chapter Thirty Three - Have I Told You (Part Three)
Chapter Thirty Four Preview
Chapter Thirty Four - Liar
Chapter Thirty Five - Borderline

Chapter Fourteen - Who Knows

35.7K 1K 175
By icarus_rising97

I think there's something more, life's worth living for
Who knows what could happen. 
Do what you do, just keep on laughing
One thing's true, there's always a brand new day
I'm gonna live today like it's my last day 
            ~ Who Knows – Avril Lavigne

‘So wait – you’re telling me that the Hot Guy called you Jessie – which means that he know you- but you don’t know him?’

‘Yep.’ I nodded my head at Ashley. ‘Or maybe you don’t remember him.’ She added.

I shrugged ‘Probably.’.

She groaned ‘How can you forget someone like that?’

What I wanted to tell her was “Actually Ashley, you can’t. That’s why he hasn’t left my mind since I was twelve.”

But what I actually, stupidly said was ‘He isn’t that hot.’ which earned me a shocked look from her.

‘What!’ I said defensively with a shrug.

‘If-‘ she pointed at a random classroom ‘that –The Hot Guy, not the classroom- isn’t hot then I don’t know what is!’

‘You’re being dramatic.’ I told her with a roll of my eyes, but I knew that Jace was an unusually good-looking human. His eyes, weren’t usual, his pale and cold skin wasn’t usual. But of course, he wasn’t a Vampire, he smelled human, didn’t he?

Before we turn sixteen, us werewolves smell human, think human, act human. In one sentence, we are humans. It’s only when we hit a certain age do the werewolf genes in our blood wake up and get to work.

Usually, it’s sixteen, but of course, that wasn’t the case for me.

‘Well, sue me for thinking a guy is hot!’ She said defensively. I just grinned and rolled my eyes again as we walked towards the cafeteria.

We both took chicken burgers with fries and sat down at our usual table except, the rest of the pack wasn’t here. I sighed.

Ashley nudged me as I was about eat my burger. ‘What?’ I asked, annoyed. I was hungry!

She scowled at me ‘Stop eating and look there, will you?’

I looked where she was pointing and saw Jace sitting across the cafeteria. His table was filled with girls, the populars, and he looked annoyed. Feeling’s mutual.

‘So what?’ I asked, finally taking a bite. The bad feeling in my stomach was making me more annoyed. Of course it’s not jealousy! I just hadn’t eaten anything for breakfast.

 Other than the two pancakes with the mango juice. Don’t forget the lollipop.

‘Let’s call him here!’ She said enthusiastically. ‘No.’

‘What? Why not?’ she pouted.

‘Because!’

‘I’m going to do it.’ She said and stood up. I scowled at her. Then I looked at the roof and muttered ‘Why must I be stuck in these types of situations?’

I looked back at Jace’s table to find him staring at me with an amused expression. I scowled at him too. What’s so funny? It’s not like he can hear me.

I can’t be close to Jace. God knows what might happen if we start liking each other again.

I watched as Ashley approached his table. The werewolf girls immediately looked annoyed and scooted away. But they didn’t leave his table. I could hear Ashley if I wanted to but I decided to let it go. Today would be the only day he would be sitting with us, anyway. The pack will be here tomorrow.

I saw as he nodded with a smile. The tables around me were filled with students which were mostly watching and talking about the “New Kid” or “The Hot Guy”. Seriously, what’s wrong with using his name?

As he and Ashley walked towards my table, I focused on my food instead of his eyes.

‘Hey.’ He muttered as he slid in a seat. Ashley was standing behind him and she mouthed ‘Be nice.’. I scowled at her again.

‘Someone’s in a bad mood.’ He grinned. How dare he? Coming to my table and talking to me as if we were long lost best friends and giving me that smile – even though we were long lost best friends and he always gave me that smile, he didn’t know that!

Did he get over me so soon? I mean, did he get over Jessie so soon? Can you believe it?  I can’t believe I got replaced in a day! He’s giving me that smile and being all nice like he was to m- I mean, Jessie!

Needless to say, I scowled at him. I swear I heard him laugh. I finished my burger and fries while Ashley and Jace talked. Well, Ashley talked. Jace kept staring at me creepily. Okay, it wasn’t exactly creepy. I felt really happy. But I wanted it to be creepy so I scowled at him.

Ashley, noticing me scowling at him, scowled at me. As if it was my fault I was in a bad mood! It was her who went as nice and asked him to come and sit here!

Stupid Jace. Had to come and ruin everything!

Jace, it seemed, was in my second, fourth and fifth class.

I tried really hard to avoid him, the way Noah was avoiding me. But guess what?

Noah had to come and start being nice to me, too.

No, seriously. I went to throw my leftovers in the garbage when he just suddenly comes.

He looked at me and smiled, and then I feel giddy and want to laugh so I did the mature thing.

I scowled.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

I’d be glad to say that school got over fast and I didn’t see Jace and/or Noah for the rest of the day and then I went back to the pack house and found a giant teddy bear filled with lollypops.

But then, I’d be lying.

Unfortunately.

‘So…’ Jace said. We were currently sitting in fourth period, we had substitution and the teacher, whatever her name was, had given us free time to talk. Ashley was in the washroom, she’d told me that she wanted to re-apply her make-up for Jace, which annoyed me for some reason. I was sure that it was only the bad French fries I’d had for lunch.

‘Yeah?’ I looked at him, wearily. I had no idea at all how I was gonna survive high school.

‘Where are you from?’ he asked me. ‘America.’ I replied dryly. I’m not gonna answer any personal questions. It’d be too easy for him to know it’s me.

He smiled ‘Alright then, where do you live?’

‘With Ashley and some friends.’ He stiffened. Not that I noticed, it’s not like I was his best friend and I know what he’s going to feel before he does. Which is kinda weird. The bond Jace and I have, I mean. It’s not normal. Werewolves rarely like like humans. I frowned.

‘How old are you?’

‘Seventeen. You?’

‘Almost Eighteen. Do you have any pets?’

I frowned as I thought back to my cat beauties back home. ‘No.’ I sniffed.

‘Well then, what would you prefer as a pet?’

‘Cats.’ He looked surprised. ‘You like cats? Even though yo-‘ he coughed ‘You don’t like dogs?’

I frowned at his behavior. ‘No, I do but I prefer cats as my pets.’ I don’t know why I emphasized “pets”. It’s not like he knows what my friends and I are.

He nodded ‘What’s the best thing that’s ever happened to-‘, ‘Are we done with the twenty questions already?’ I jumped and turned t Ashley. When did she get back?

I looked back at Jace to see that he wasn’t even surprised. He just looked at me wearily -as if he already knew she was back and was just waiting for her to interrupt us- and –still looking intently at me-said ‘Welcome back, Ashley.’ I wanted to laugh at the face he was making. It was clear- to me, anyway- that he was tired of Ashley’s un-ending babbles.

Ashley, who was obviously pleased by Jace’s half-hearted welcome said ‘Glad to be back.’ And then she started one of her infamous rants. I drifted off, thinking about Jace.

He was different. Way different than other humans, anyway. And that was not normal.

What on earth is going on?

Jace and I kissed but that doesn’t mean anything. It doesn’t form a bond or anything. Maybe I’m just stressing too much. Maybe it’s because I’m not with my mate and my conscience is pairing me up with other people in my life. I shouldn’t think of Jace like that. Not normal.

What is normal in my life anyway?

I sighed as the bell rang and got my stuff. I waited for Ashley this time. Unfortunately, so did Jace.

But I had a tiny, tiny, suspicion that it wasn’t Ashley he was waiting for; it was me.

And that is not good. At all.

The only thing good was the fact that Ashley didn’t notice anything. Nothing. She didn’t see the looks Jace kept looking at me, the knowing smiles; she didn’t notice whenever he rolled his eyes when pretended that her high heels were killing he and tripped on him (She was that desperate); she didn’t realize that I kept trying to hide my snorts and laughs whenever Jace made faces at her back.

In fact, she was so oblivious, that I thought I was imagining all that.

But sadly, I wasn’t.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

167K 4.4K 26
A girl named Emma has gone through a lot of problems. One day she is given a chance, to start a new and fresh life with her father. Emma won't pull a...
170K 5.2K 31
Pages are slowly being edited. Chapters may not add up with other chapters because of this, sorry. This story was written a couple of years ago and d...
118K 2.2K 21
Im cant believe this first I'm late to school and now i find out that the soon to be alpha is my MATE! oh did i forget to mention that he's an asshol...
61.4K 1.6K 41
(Not edited ) Every heartless sole wants her for power revenge or simply love.Kate is a young white werewolf a powerful one she is the Alphas daughte...