White Walls

By Soundwipe

A short story I wrote one night. Based on the literary style of Poe. Enjoy! More

poe

White Walls

8 0 0
By Soundwipe

The floor was cold below me, and the wind blew softly at my shoulder, huffed in by unseen vents that hid in the dark corners of the room. I could hear nothing- no birds and sounds of nature outside, nor any hiss of air from a ventilation system. Only the sound of my thumping heart and my breathing.

I stood there for what felt like an eternity, sweat suddenly lining my hands. My God! For suddenly I felt a twinge and stab and my senses sharpened. I knew not how I had found myself in this room, this box with no window or door- but I knew that I must escape! Both body and soul cried for my freedom. This was wrong, a terrible place to be. I could not stay, no, indeed, for this was a terrible feeling rolling in my chest.

I desperately tried to lift my feet to run to the walls, to scrabble at them and try to find some way out, but merely fruitlessly strained to even take a single step. My feet had been rooted to the ground, and although I looked down I could see no bonds or ropes fastening me. This was surely some devilish trickery, some ill-meant mischief of demons!

I stared back at the wall, miserable. And afraid. Those white walls, those terrible white walls, so blank and emotionless, glinting from a faraway light like a murderer’s blade! Oh, did I not want to escape and be free! Something was to befall me!

Then a soft glow, the color of strong and old ivy and deep poison, resonated from in front of me. I tried to lean back to avoid this glow in fright, but I could not bend in any way! My back had been frozen rigid as if I had been set into a block of ice! Tingles ran up and down my spine, and sweat dripped from my nose as I shook frenziedly. The terror was almost too great, I could almost feel my mind cracking! What would I do…!

Then a flash of bright white light, blinding me and leaving the room a completely indecipherable blanket of darkness except for the hand. One hand, glowing a pure white color, but bringing with it such a horrible visage! Wrinkled hands, veined and scabby skin, rotting and curled nails, grip outstretched and fastened on a long and bloody iron pike. A revulsion leapt through me, and I screamed. A voice boomed and rasped and whispered and yelled, speaking in a hundred different tones in a hundred different ways! It said menacingly, “Take it!” These two words were driven into my mind like a spear, breaking my poor mental defenses and leaving me almost senseless. But no! I did not take it, that vile thing, for I was too strong for it yet! My resolve faltered, but now it was back, and I shied away from the white hand. “Be gone!” I gasped. “O foul specter! What damnable trickery this is I shall not guess! But I will have no part! No part, I tell you!”

“Very well,” Came the voice. And the hand suddenly drove the pike straight into my chest.

I woke up again, standing. The room looked vaguely familiar. The floor was icy under my feet, and a breeze whipped at my shoulders, sending a shiver down my spine. I did not like the look of the room too much- it was dark and forbidding, and I could not see nor hear anything.

Then suddenly an assault came down upon me and my mind. I needed to escape, came the insistent thought. I needed to find a way out! I yelled and I screamed as I tried to rush to a wall, but my feet could not move, as if they had been sunken in concrete.

I finally had to stop, my arms and legs and back straining and perspiration running down my face in rivulets. I stare at the wall, shivering as I stare, those terrible white walls.

Then a flash of green, dark and dangerous like a cobra’s skin, and a flash of bright white light. And my eyesight plunges everything but the white shriveled hand and the pike into darkness.

“Take it!”

“No! I Will not!” I whisper this, the sudden fear- and feeling of familiarity- tugging at my senses. This sickening sight, this apparition- it was somehow familiar to me. How?

“Very well,” Came the answer in a thousand voices. Then the hand thrust the black, rusting spike into my chest.

I wake again, standing in a room. This time the fear of full realization comes to me. I tremble, knowing what is going to happen. I do not even try to escape, a single push of my feet telling me all I need to know. I am stuck. Then the green light, and the white light, and the hand- that decaying, evil, loathsome hand- was before me again, holding the spike.

“Take it,” The voice orders me.

I know that I will die if I do not take it! This thing, this foul thing, it will stab me and kill me and all the nightmare will begin again if I do not take it! So I reach over and with hot, moist, shaking hands, take the pike.

Then suddenly I am in a dark room. There is a cold breeze. But this time the room is different- larger, with a pale ray of moonlight streaming through the shattered window. I look around dazedly- there is a sharp smell of decay that makes me want to retch. Then I look at the weight in my hand. It is a spike- black, iron, bloody- and this time the blood is also all over my hand as well, splattered up to my elbow. I look around and see bodies.

Then a flash of purple and white, and the white hand is there again. I hold back a scream.

“Convicted,” comes a voice, and the shriveled hand points a talon-like finger at me. I shake and drive the pike into my chest myself.

As I collapse onto the floor, shrieking, I see my outstretched hand. Before the night falls, I notice that it and the disembodied one in front of me, pointing accusingly, are the same.

I wake again. This time my arm is not my own.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

23M 804K 69
"The Hacker and the Mob Boss" ❦ Reyna Fields seems to be an ordinary girl with her thick-framed glasses, baggy clothes, hair always up in a ponytail...
1.7M 17.4K 3
*Wattys 2018 Winner / Hidden Gems* CREATE YOUR OWN MR. RIGHT Weeks before Valentine's, seventeen-year-old Kate Lapuz goes through her first ever br...
42.6K 813 45
Short scenarios for your favorite characters! (Well the male characters at least) The characters included are Alastor, Angel Dust, Sir Pentious, Husk...
Fate By v xxxiri v

Short Story

23K 1.7K 13
"𝚆𝚑𝚎𝚗 𝚠𝚒𝚕𝚕 𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚢 𝚜𝚝𝚘𝚙 𝚑𝚊𝚝𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚖𝚎 ?" 𝙰 𝟷𝟻 𝚢𝚎𝚊𝚛 𝚘𝚕𝚍, 𝚅𝚒𝚜𝚑𝚗𝚞 𝚊𝚜𝚔𝚎𝚍 𝚌𝚛𝚢𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚑𝚒𝚜 𝚑𝚎𝚊𝚛𝚝 𝚘𝚞𝚝. "𝚆...