A Melody With You ~ Saimatsu...

By aSilentPassion

A Hopes Peak Academy without despair? Shuichi Saihara and Kaede Akamatsu are first years at Hopes Peak Academ... More

Ultimate Pianist - Chapter 1
Detective Akamatsu and Saihara on the Case! - Chapter 2
Ultimate Detective - Chapter 3
Believe in Yourself - Chapter 4
Getting to Know You - Chapter 5
1st Year Ultimate Students - Chapter 7
Maki Roll- Chapter 8
Date - Chapter 9
Confession - Chapter 10
Pianist and Adventurer - Chapter 11
Training - Chapter 12
Tension - Chapter 13
The Truth Behind Your Lies. - Chapter 14
A Melody With You - Chapter 15
Relationship - Chapter 16
Short 1 ⭐ - Iruma's New Invention
Double Date - Chapter 17
To get the Astronaut and Assassin Together - Chapter 18
Short 2 - Shuichi's Love Hotel Event
Class Representative - Chapter 19
Shipping - Chapter 20
Our True Feelings - Chapter 21
Ultimate Hang Out - Chapter 22
Kaito Momota and Maki Harukawa - Chapter 23
Short 3 - Meeting You Again
Hopes Peak Getaway - Chapter 24
Meeting the Cast - Chapter 25
Mr. Shirokuro - Chapter 26
Day Two - Chapter 27
Disaster - Chapter 28
Short 4 ⭐ - Pool Troubles
Investigation - Chapter 29
Our Class Trial - Chapter 30
Short 5 - Reality Dating Show
Our Getaway Conclusion - Chapter 31
The Calm Before The Storm - Chapter 32
Short 6 - A Special Present For a Special Pianist
Dawn of Despair - Chapter 33
Endeavor - Chapter 34
Only I Deserve The Pain - Chapter 35
Short 7 - Little Saihara
Short 8 ⭐️- Kiss The Girl
Decrescendo from Hope - Chapter 36
Crescendo into Despair - Chapter 37
Without You - Chapter 38
Three Words - Chapter 39
Goodbye to the Past - Chapter 40
Short 9 - Hanahaki
Moving On - Chapter 41
Evil Organization? - Chapter 42
Cheating - Short 10 ⭐
Planning - Chapter 43
Before the Festival - Chapter 44
Practice - Chapter 45
Motivation and Rivalry - Chapter 46
Comfort - Short 11 ⭐
Sports Festival - Chapter 47
Class Events Part 1 - Chapter 48
Class Events 2 - Chapter 48.5
Unwanted Memories - Chapter 49
Unwanted Memories Part 2 - Chapter 49.5
Special Spot in My Heart - Short 12

A Duet Together - Chapter 6

2.9K 48 122
By aSilentPassion

I woke up feeling well rested. Yesterday, nobody came to me about any cases, not even for a lost pet. I was glad though, it gave me time to read the novel I started. I still had to come in today though.

Today was the day I would practice a duet with Akamatsu. I was kind of nervous, I hope I wouldn't disappoint her. Well, she says that we'll play something simple enough but if I messed up, that would be embarrassing. 

I went into the kitchen to see my uncle and Fuyuka, his wife, sitting at the table eating cereal. She had jet black hair like my uncle, and her hair was in a bun. She was also wearing her notorious glasses, which I've just realized I've never seen her without. My uncle was wearing his detective outfit already. "Good morning Shuichi." she says to me and my uncle waves.

"Good morning.." 

"You gonna eat breakfast today?" She asked me.

"Nah.. I'm not really hungry." 

"Come on bud', it's like the most important meal of the day! Plus, we hardly have time to even eat together, eh?" My uncle yelled out. 

I guess I'll eat breakfast for today, it would seem a bit disrespectful not to after what he said. 

"O-Okay, I might as well." I sat down and got myself a bowl of cereal.

"Alright!" 

After we ate breakfast, me and my uncle headed to the agency as Fuyuka went to her job. 

"Hey uncle? What time is the earliest I can get out of work?"

"Hm? Any time of course. I'm telling you, you don't have to feel obligated to come you know.. You're still a teen, I want you to enjoy your summer vacation."

"Yea, I know.. But I do want to get better at my detective work." That was half a lie. I would feel bad to not help him out at the agency after he's been caring for me all this time.

"Ah yea, because you're the Ultimate Detective now.. It would suck if you went to Hopes Peak Academy a bit rusty.." he looked up as he thought. "Hm, then I guess you can leave at 4:30 today at the earliest!"

I happily nodded at him and then pulled out my phone and texted Akamatsu.

You - Hey Akamatsu, I'm coming over at around 4:45 today, is that okay?

"You got plans bud'?" he asked me as he places his hand on my hat. 

"Yea, actually. I'm starting to learn piano with my new friend recently so.."

"Ah, your girlfriend.." He closed his eyes and nodded.

"N-No! My friend, I've already said this uncle.." I frantically said.

"Haha, whatever bud'. You know I'll never stop calling her that, right? I'm basically obligated to as your guardian." I rolled my eyes at his comment.

"Anyways, what got you interested in piano all of a sudden?"

"A-Ah.. Uh, the friend I'm learning from is the Ultimate Pianist so.. It's a good learning experience I think.."

I saw my uncles eyes bulge out of his eye socket. "Woah for real?! I guess being an Ultimate gives you rights to meet other Ultimates.."

I laughed at the irony. In reality, I met her before I was an Ultimate, and she was the one that even convinced me to. I had to thank her eventually for that.

We arrived at the agency and I took a seat at my office. Suddenly I got a text and I quickly opened it.

Kaede Akamatsu - Yea, that'll work. Can't wait for practice! 🎹

You - Me too. See u at 4:30, I'm at the agency rn so can't talk much.

Kaede Akamatsu - Oh okay, see u later! Gl at work. 👋

I smile but then my uncle asks if to do another case of a lost pet. I of course accept and quickly exited the office to get looking. 

After work, I said goodbye to uncle and started heading towards Akamatsu's house. It took extra long to find this pet, it was a really weird one. How was I supposed to find a snake? Well, I eventually did it but still. I finally arrived at her house and knock on her door and it opens immediately. "Hi Akamatsu!-"

I was greeted of seeing 2 adults staring directly at me. I assumed it were her parents but I was surprised how intensely they were looking at me. The woman had short blonde hair and had her hair over her shoulder while the man had brown hair and glasses, his eyes matched Akamatsu's.

"O-Oh uh!" I politely bow. "H-Hello Mr. and Mrs. Akamatsu! I'm Shuichi Saihara, a friend of your daughter. Sorry to intrude!"

I hope I didn't sound lame. I hope I didn't sound lame. I hope I didn't sound lame. I hope I didn't sound lame. I hope

Suddenly, her dad put his arms to his eyes and started sniffling as her mom closed her eyes and nodded quickly.

..Huh?

"K-Kaede chose such a young polite man.." her dad said through his tears.

"I know.. I was nervous he was going to be a punk because of that hat but.. You seem worthy for now, boy." her mom gave me a thumbs up.

I had a bewildered expression. I didn't even know how to react. Were Kaede's parents just a bunch of weirdos? N-Not in a disrespectful way, I mean.

Suddenly, Akamatsu came out from behind both of them and crossed her arms. "Mom, dad! What are you doing?"

"Ah, Kaede! We were just meeting your friend. He seems polite enough, so I've deduced he is worthy." she told her with a smile.

"Mom! I told you we were just friends! Don't weird him out like that.." she grabbed my hand and pulled me in. I blushed at our sudden physical contact.

"A-Ah!" I quickly took off my shoes before I went in, which was hard because one of my hands were taken by hers. 

She took me to the piano and sat me down. "Sorry about my parents Saihara.." She sighed and put her hand to her head like she was stressed.

I laughed. "Don't worry about it, they seem like fun parents."

"Yea, they are!" she quickly cheered up. Anyways, are you ready for your lesson today? Today, we'll be learning more beginner songs."

Her parents watched us in the background as we played. Her mother was really observing me which made me a bit uncomfortable while her dad was looking on his phone. I didn't see her grandma today, perhaps she was out somewhere. Whenever I messed up or had the wrong fingering, Akamatsu would tell me and reinforce the idea so I wouldn't mess up again. She was a good teacher. After learning a few more songs, Akamatsu looked at me happily. 

"You're improving really fast, Saihara. Maybe you'll be the Ultimate Pianist some day!" She laughed.

"U-Uh.. I don't think I could surpass you though.." 

"Do you think it's about time we start practicing our duet?" she said. Her classic starry eyes were back. She was excited for this I guess. "S-Sure!" She looked really happy which made me smile.

"How about we play the first song that I played for you together?" she suggested.

"We can do that? If you can play it by yourself, I didn't know you would need another."

"Yea, of course! It may not be a real duet, but I feel it would be special that way. If we play different octaves, then it could add another layer of depth to the song." 

"Alright then."

Akamatsu looked happy as she got out the music sheet for Claire de Lune. As I thought, it only had one part. However, she offered that she would play higher so I could just play how it was intended. As I took a look at the music sheet, it was way harder than anything I have played. It was still only my second day..

"A-A-A-Akamatsu?? Are you sure I can play this?" I asked nervously. "What even are these words written? These symbols??"

She looked at me confused. "What do you mean? You don't know what these mean?"

I quickly shook my head. "A-Ah! Right, you're still a beginner.. Sorry, I got ahead of myself.." 

"It's okay! Um.. Y-You're a great teacher so I'm sure I can learn with your help." she blushed from my comment.

"T-Thanks Saihara.. Alright! Ms. Kaede Akamatsu will drag the musical talent outta you, punk! We'll master this right before school starts!" I just laugh.

After lots of playing, we didn't get very far. I had learned how to play one measure after all this time. "S-Sorry.." I say to her as I stood at the door.

"No it's okay Saihara! I understand that it might take a while for you to learn. I'm sure things will speed up later." 

I had to leave early because I didn't want to be there the whole day, especially because I would be here almost everyday practicing the piano. It would just inconvenience her parents if I was there 24/7. I was excited to see her everyday from now on. I put on my shoes and open the door. "Bye Saihara!"

"Bye Kaede's future husband!" her mom says, making me flare up. "Mom! Please stop teasing me when he's right there.." Akamatsu says.

I wave at them before leaving to my house.

...

I came over to Akamatsu's house everyday from then on at 4:30 until it was fitting to leave. We got a lot closer over the days and we even considered each other best friends which made me really happy. I felt more comfortable with her and so did she, her parents treated me like their family too which was really remarkable. I guess that's the outcome of coming over everyday. Her grandma even baked me delicious cookies once in a while. Fuyuka was glad that I was getting out more often and my uncle was happy that I had made a close friend. I grew distant to most of my friends ever since.. The incident.

Not only did my confidence around her increase, my piano skill did too surprisingly. I honestly didn't expect myself to get very far in this song, but with her amazing teaching I was able to. Today was the last day of summer vacation, and I wanted to spend it with my best friend. Today was the day where we would finally perform the duet together, after all this time. 

I walked up to the front door and knocked. 

"Saihara!! Hey!" she looked really excited. 

"Hey Akamatsu!" I returned the excitement. I was happy that we could finally finish up this song and hopefully play a melody together, without me messing up.

"Heya Saihara, I'm excited to see you guy's duet!" her mom exclaimed. Her parents and grandma were sitting on the couch.

I didn't expect there to be an audience watching.. Even if it was just 3 people, I was pretty nervous.

"A-Are they gonna be watching?" I whispered, a bit scared.

She just giggled. "Saihara, you'll be fine. It's just my weirdo parents. And I'm sure we'll play good together."

After taking off my shoes and greeting her parents and grandma, Akamatsu and I sat at the piano together. At first, I would always blush because of how close we were, but now, I've gotten used to it. Before we started our duet, she went over everything with me to make sure I could at least play it. She said I was great, but I don't really know.

Now it was time to begin our duet. Two people playing piano together. When we first started practicing together, I could barely remember the notes but now.. It feels nice. I played the low notes while she played the high. Our fingers danced on the keys, and together we made a melody. Of course, my playing didn't compare to her, her fingers were flowing like the tides but mine were a little tense. Yet, I guess that's what gave it a magical sense of unity. At first, I was so focused on not messing up that it got me scared, even though hardly anyone was watching, but as we kept playing, it got easier. The notes came naturally to me. It was like Kaede and I had become one. We both played that last note and looked at each other happily. The 3 people watching clapped but we couldn't hear it.

I noticed that her parents and her grandma walked back into their rooms as we ended. It's convenient to have some alone time..

"Saihara, you're amazing. I can't believe you've improved this much in so little time."

It's been about 2 weeks, so I didn't really think it was that impressive.. I blushed at her comment. But.. "It's only because I had such a great teacher to show me the beauty of playing piano."

"What do you mean?" She asked.

"It's way more fun that I thought it would be.. I understand why you get so entranced in playing." I gave her a smile.

"Haha, right? I'm glad that we made my parents and grandma smile, that's how you know all this practice worth it."

"I was only able to have this great experience because of you, Akamatsu.. I'm really glad to have met you." I looked into her eyes.

"I-I can't believe you're saying such embarrassing things.." She blushed and looked to her side. "B-But.. I'm.. glad I met you too. While I was teaching you, I was reminded how great the piano could be. I know I play like all the time, but with you always complimenting me.. I started to realize what I'm capable of on the piano."

I smiled. "Yea.."

Suddenly, Akamatsu slaps her forehead. "Dang it! I meant to record this but I completely forgot!" 

"W-We can always play it again!" I offered. 

"No.. It wouldn't be the same since it wasn't our first time. Hm.. Maybe we'll play it again once you've gotten better at the piano! Not that you're already good, I mean."

I smiled. Yea, I definitely want to get better at piano, as long as Akamatsu's my teacher. I want to take my piano skills further.. and maybe even our relationship together.

Akamatsu suddenly stood up and sat at the couch, I followed and sat down with her. "Are we ending piano lessons early?"

"Yea! We deserve it after playing a melody together. I realized that we haven't talked a lot about you yet. Just you!"

"A-Alright then." 

"So.. why do you wear that hat, Saihara?"

~Perspective Change~

"So.. why do you wear that hat, Saihara?" I really wanted to know. "I-It's okay if you don't want to answer though.. If it's a sensitive topic.."

He sighed and looked down, he placed his hand on his hat as if he didn't want to let go of it ever. "It's okay.. We're pretty close now and I trust you with this information, so it's okay. I-I'll tell you." he finally looked at me again. "Do you remember when the Ultimate Initiative talked about the case of Satou Airu?"

"I think I remember.. They said it was one of the many cases they were impressed with, right?" he nodded his head to my response.

"That case.. wasn't impressive at all. I know about our talk a few weeks ago.. But I don't think I deserved my talent at that time." 

I glared at him.

"N-No, I accepted this burden. I've decided that I will accept this talent, but if it weren't for you, I don't think I could have." he reassured me. "A few days ago before we met, I didn't actually wear this hat." 

I was shocked. I always thought he had always had it, it just seemed so natural.

"I started wearing it all the time because.. I'm scared of looking at people's eyes. Just because of this case I solved. I'm pretty sure this is the main reason the Ultimate Initiative chose me. It was on the news for a while but my uncle had to beg them to take it off public eye."

"What was that case?" I asked.

"It was a murder case." he said nonchalantly. I became even more shocked. "I found this case by pure chance, and of course I would try to solve it. I solved that case faster than the police could and they called me the 'boy detective' after that. It was only real case that I solved so I don't know why the Ultimate Initiative chose me just for that."

"Saihara.." He really needs to stop doubting himself..

"I know, I know." he said as if he understood what I was thinking.

"Even if it was one case, that's amazing Saihara! Not many could do that, so why would you hide under your hat  because of it?"

"It wasn't a good thing at all that I solved that case.." he looked down, he was clearly distressed. "When the police came and arrested the culprit, he looked at me. The look he gave me.. I can still see it, even now. I can't ever forget it. He stared at me.. like he hated me more than anything in the world. And later, I figured out the reason the culprit killed the victim. He had killed in order to get revenge for his family. The victim was a horrible person that drove the culprit's relative to suicide."

It makes perfect sense why he would hide under his hat after all of this. I would too..

"People told me that the culprit was right to do what he did.. I completely agree. If only I hadn't revealed that truth.. But I did, and lead to the police straight to him."

"It's not like it's your fault. You just did your job as a detective to uncover the truth, right?"

"Yeah.. I uncovered the truth. And that's what makes it my fault. I'm still suffering because of it. All because of that.. stupid case, I've been afraid of uncovering the truth. I can't forget those eyes.. They were full of hatred and.. the way they stared into me.." He started to shiver.

"Y-Yea. So that's why I wear this hat. I have trouble looking into people's eyes. T-That's why.. sometimes I doubt myself if I even deserve to be the Ultimate Detective." I could tell he felt pathetic. He was trembling again so I grabbed his hands for reassurance.

"Saihara.. It's okay. You just did your job as a detective, that's what they're meant to do. You know how you tell me the stories of your previous clients sometimes after practice? I love how you always follow up with them, making sure they're alright if needing to. You don't need to do it, yet you still do. It's really compassionate of you, and it makes people trust you. The world needs more detectives like you. You're an amazing detective, Saihara, and I think that you were destined to be one. It's not your fault that you solved that case, it's just your job. Don't be afraid of looking away from the truth, even if it hurts." I gave him a gentle smile to cheer him up.

 "Akamatsu, you're amazing.." that comment made me blush.

"Why do you say that?"

"You just.. Always know how to cheer me up, huh?" He smiled. "You're right. I need to accept the burden of being a detective. I need to learn to face the truth. No more being afraid.. If I can't move past the past, then what kind of Ultimate Student am I?"

Suddenly, he lets go of my hand and grabs his hat. In one swift movement, he tosses it off his head. "I wanna learn to face people again and to be confident in myself." Right then, I saw his eyes. All that nervousness was gone, as if he finally accepted being a detective. His eyes were full of hope, and I could no longer see the doubt in them that I saw a few weeks ago. 

His ahoge popped up, after being contained for so long. I was just so happy for him that he finally took that first step to be confident! And his adorable ahoge too..

"I'm proud of you, Saihara." I gently smile.

I blushed of how cute he looked when I said that. "You really are more adorable without the hat!"

He starting blushing furiously and I realized that I said that out loud. "W-What am I saying?! S-Sorry, just ignore me.." I covered my face with my hands in embarrassment. 

"I-It's okay.." he said, reaching for his hat but it was no longer there.

"A-Anyways!" I quickly changed the topic before things got awkward. "You excited for school tomorrow?" 

"H-Huh? Oh yea, of course. I'm curious of what other talents there will be."

"Me too! I hope there's another musician or something, so we can play."

"Isn't there already an Ultimate Musician at Hopes Peak Academy?" he asked.

"Hm.. Oh yea, you're right. What was their name again.. Aboko Niuda?" 

"I don't think that's right.." He chuckled. "Oh yea, doesn't Hopes Peak Academy have the list of new students up already?"

"Yea but, I don't want to look it up. I just want to meet them for myself, you know?" 

"Yea you're right.." he said. He looked so much cooler without the hat, I hope he didn't notice my staring. 

He started blushing and looking away though, so I think he definitely noticed. 

How embarrassing.

Suddenly, my parents came out their room. "Hey Saihara, why don't you stay over for dinner today if you're not busy?" my dad offered.

"O-Oh sure." He said. "Let me just ask my uncle.."

~Perspective Change~

I asked my uncle if I could stay over for the dinner, and he agreed. "The perfect way to formalize a relationship is to stay over for dinner with her parents!" he said. It made me cringe, but I'm glad he agreed.

Her parents made dinner while me and Akamatsu talked about random stuff again, just to pass the time. Her parents said I had "good look without the hat" and insisted I should keep it off more which made me awkwardly laugh. 

We sat at the table, and I thanked them for the meal. They had made fried rice, and it was actually really good. I couldn't get enough.

"I really liked you and Kaede's performance today, Saihara! At first it was hard to hear you play, but I'm impressed at your improvement." her mom said.

That kind of hurt, but I'll take it as a compliment. "Thanks.."

"Hopefully, you and Kaede can play more duets together." her dad said. "I-I've never seen something so moving than the outcome of you guy's hard work.." Akamatsu cringed at her dad's comment. I just laughed.

"Yea, I hope we can play more too. Piano is surprisingly really fun." Akamatsu looked happy at my comment.

"By the way, Saihara, what school are you going to? I wish you could've gone to school with Kaede.." her grandma said looking a bit down. 

"Huh?" I said confused. "But I am. I'm going to Hopes Peak Academy as an Ultimate Student." 

Her parents and her grandma spit out what was in their mouth and Akamatsu slapped her forehead. "Shoot, I forgot to tell you guys that Saihara is an ultimate student!" 

"Huh, it never occurred to me that we never told them.." I said quite surprised. I guess we just never got to that topic.

"S-So, what is your Ultimate talent Saihara?"

"I'm the Ultimate Detective."

Her dad put his hand to his eyes as he started sniffling and her mom closed her eyes and nodded quickly.

"T-To think that Saihara is a smart boy like that, a really impressive Ultimate talent.." her dad said through tears.

"Y-You really are worthy, boy. P-Please treat our daughter well!" her mom was tearing up as well.

I don't know why.. But this felt really familiar.

"Mom! Dad! You're freaking him out.." Akamatsu pouted.

"Yea we know.. We're just teasing him!" her mom's crocodile tears faded and it turned into a laugh but her dad was still crying.. (Maybe they were real tears.) Her mom nudged him with her elbow to get him composed.

"But I can't believe we didn't know until now, Saihara. That's a really impressive talent too." her mom said as her dad nodded.

"T-Thank you, Miss Akamatsu." I said.

We finished our food and I cleaned the dishes for everyone. It was the least I could do for my intrusion. Her parents told me that it was okay but I insisted.

It was time for me to leave after. I picked up my hat and held it firmly, I didn't want to leave it there. Her parents and grandma already headed to bed so it was just me and her at the door. "Today was really fun, Saihara." she said with a smile.

"Yea, I'm glad we could finish our duet before school started." 

"It's so assuring knowing there's only one class each school year, we'll be in the same class together!" 

"Yeah, I'm glad I have my best friend to come with me in the class. I don't know what I would do if there were a bunch of weirdos and I didn't have anyone I knew." I laughed.

"Yup!" Suddenly she looked down. She looked nervous for some reason.

Then, she jumped at me and wrapped her arms around me. Her body was really warm, and she smelled like flowers. I immediately blushed, but I hugged back. 

This feels nice..

It made me really happy. We just stood there for a while, holding each other. 

After a while, our hug ended. We were both blushing hard. It was only a hug, yet it got us both so worked up. 

"S-Sorry that was out of nowhere.." she said embarrassed. 

"No, i-it's okay! It's normal for friends to hug.." I reassured her.

"Yea! It's just because you're my best friend." she smiled brightly at me. 

She really is cute..

Wait what am I thinking?! We're just friends!

I smiled back at her. "A-Anyways, I'll see you tomorrow at school Akamatsu. Bye!" 

"Bye Saihara!" She waved at me.

~Perspective Change~

I jumped onto my bed after I said goodbye to Saihara and hugged my pillow tightly. I squealed into it, I always wanted to give him that hug. I was proud of him for taking that first step to be more confident, he definitely deserved it. 

N-Not that I didn't want to give him that hug..

It was just a hug, but I was really happy. Even the littlest moments with him can cheer me up. I wonder why.

Eventually, I peacefully drift into sleep without having to listen to piano.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.1K 60 20
Shuichi is determined to solve the mystery behind the murder of Kaede's mother, but his investigation forces him to get closer to the ultimate pianis...
1.5K 32 6
Makoto goes to Hope's Peak Academy not sure what to expect. He finds himself making new friends and ends up dating his crush. He has a crazy stalker...
8.6K 221 33
Shuichi Saihara's life is perfect. He has the perfect internship for his perfect talent at his perfect high school run by his perfect family. That's...
1.2K 36 5
Kaede Akamatsu has no faith in humanity; and she's determined to fix that in her own special way, no matter how long it may take. Cover edited by me...