Battle Of Retention

By glitter_xxxlicious

Demons, a merciless, atrocious, most despised species inhabiting the Earth, once dominated over humans for ce... More

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘Introduction∘∙⊱⋅•⋅
Prologue
Chapter 1: The ridiculous duties of an earl
Chapter 2: A stroll to the wild side
Chapter 3: Meeting the cause of all her future miseries
Chapter 4: I tried, but it didn't work out so whatever
Chapter 5: Being social ft. My embarrassing friends
Chapter 6: I can't believe you've done this, punk
Chapter 7: A so called 'serious' discussion with the king
Chapter 8: Haunted by his past; trying to overcome for the better
Chapter 9: Sudden arrival of their issues
Chapter 10: One who can't control emotions, and one who can't show them
Chapter 11: It's sad when you feel alone in a room full of people
Chapter 12: A tragic past too painful to remember
Chapter 13: I'm taking a break, thank you very much
Chapter 14: Surrounded by fools
Chapter 15: About to invite his own death
Chapter 16: Socialising can be exhausting
Chapter 17: The one with the mentality of a child
Chapter 18: Gaining more foes, day by day
Chapter 19: Creepy felines, shirtless idiots
Chapter 20: THIS IS WAR, PEOPLE
Chapter 21: Partnership is for losers
Chapter 22: A secret left to unveil
Chapter 23: What one deserves
Chapter 24: It's okay to cry sometimes
Chapter 25: A monster can never be good
Chapter 26: The once dominant, now insulted
Chapter 27: An indecisive mission
Chapter 28: To be alive
Chapter 29: The evening
Chapter 30: Exposé
Chapter 31: What a dunce
Chapter 32: Identify revealed
Chapter 33: Noah Desmond is a bad boy and he knows it
Chapter 35: Angels who do not fight

Chapter 34: The unimaginable coming to reality

54 2 1
By glitter_xxxlicious

Astrid Kestrel had fallen right under Stephen Homer's trap and turned into his puppet. Whatever data he required, she would get for him. With time, he discovered that along with Alexandra Allura, Zane Adriel and his friends were a threat to him too. Through some hidden sources, it came to him acknowledgement of Zane, Lucus and Sierra being Angels.

Same as Demons, Stephen couldn't trust Angels. In his eyes, both species were hypocritical, arrogant. His belief was what drove him forward to end both of the species once and for all. It was now, time for the reign of humans.

To achieve his goals, he didn't hesitate to play dirty.

"Astrid, how loyal you are. Is it the same to your friends?" Stephen suddenly asked, standing by the fireplace while Astrid read quietly.

"Of course. My friends mean the world to me." She replied, tiny curves forming at the corners of her lips.

Astrid's love for her friends was beyond immeasurable; she couldn't imagine leaving them. They came into her life when she was at her lowest, bringing along the incandescence. Every moment they spent together was priceless.

"Say, if they get ever into a life and death situation, what would you do?"

"I'd be ready to do anything to save them."

"Even sacrifice your life?"

"Even sacrifice my life."

Stephen chuckled at Astrid's reply, impressed by her devotion and confidence. He requested she leaves for the time being, spend time with them. Who knew, when that might come to a stop.

"I admire your confidence. Don't turn back on your words when the time comes."

"What do you mean?"

"You'll understand with time, my dear."

Astrid narrowed her eyes at Stephen, who did nothing but smile. He was indeed planning something. Aside his joviality, Stephen never spoke of himself  or his feelings.

"What about you? Do you have any family?" Astrid courageously inquired, to which Stephen reacted with an icy glare.

"My wife and children died long ago." Stephen's smile faded to solemnity as he explained.

"I shouldn't have asked, I'm sorry-"

"It's quite alright. My
daughter looked similar to you-golden hair, emerald eyes, a radiant smile. That's why you're special, Astrid."

"My condolences, no-one deserves such cruelty."

Stephen looked at Astrid and smiled warmly. He nodded and asked Astrid to take her leave for the time being. She had helped enough to dig out information necessary to Stephen.

After she left, Stephen's woeful expression switched to a shrewd one. He stared out of the window, grinning, proud of his acting skills whatsoever.

"Well then, the emotional venerability is accomplished. Now begins the real fun."

"What are you doing, fool? Chatting won't help with our plan." A deep male voice hissed from behind.

"You should knock before entering, Ralph Anderson."

Indeed, Stephen was allied with the Angel Ralph. Whatever incident Stephen was linked to, so was Ralph.

"So? Have you come up with anything that gets up closer to the Demons hiding in London? Time's running out, you see."

"I will, soon enough. And about the HAVOCs are doing their work too. When people start doubting the extinction of Demons, you Angels will have to take action. Once we are to find one Demon at hand, the battle will begin on its own."

Stephen and Ralph in unison, planned to revive the hatred between Angels and Demons again. This time, if Angels had the human mind on their side, Demons won't be able to survive. Both Angels and humans had one goal- to eliminate the Demon existence.

"We just need one Demon, and the chaos will arise. We'll make everyone lose trust in each other, and therefore, the non-religious and the Demons will get eradicated soon enough. Therefore..." Ralph added, finally catching up.

"Therefore, the Angel-Demon battle will be reborn."

Their plan was perfectly secure. If everything went accordingly, their goals would be achieved. However, there was a catch for their delay-Zane Adriel and the king's guard Dog, Alexandra Allura. They were adding mud to most of their activities like the soirée massacre, the spontaneous attacks and it was problematic. Firstly, they had to put an end to them.

"You're curious about why I'm using Astrid, right? She's will help us in breaking the king's two investigators." Stephen grinned shrewdly.

"Why, you cunning bloke. Using those friends against each other, eh?" Ralph chuckled, impressed with Stephen's strategy.

"Would you like to know how I'd be doing that?" Stephen whispered, leaning closer towards Ralph.

Ralph, rather intrigued, stared at him intently signaling him to go on.

"We're gonna start a fire."

"Brilliant, that brings back memories."

══ஓ๑⊶❈⊷๑ஓ══

The soirée massacre was now in the past. Rumors of Erido's end circled around the little restaurant by the street, where Zane and Alexandra met for brunch. Things were calm for the meantime, allowing them to converse on what to do next.

"It yet astonishes me how you singlehandedly tackled with Erido that day." Zane began, enjoying his cheesecake.

"I trust my capabilities are not what we met here to discuss about. Let us get down to business."

Alexandra's phlegmatic words won against Zane easily. He quieted down, pouting in a ludicrous manner.

"I recall the book True Evil explaining when someone wishes to win a battle, he has to eliminate the pragmatic ones." Zane remembered, associating it with the murder cases.

"If you remember, there is one thing Erido's victims have in common-none of them follow God nor Angels. They believed anyone could be evil."

The twist to their conversation made Zane pause. It was impossible for Angels to be wicked. Demons and their worshippers were the only evil in the world.

This was what Zane believed.

"So whoever is Erido's leader, plans to kill every non believer of Angels so the belief of only Demons being evil remains intact? If that's truly the case, he must be a Demon, waiting to rule over everyone.

"That cannot be confirmed. Demons would not stoop so low just for power, if they were even alive. However, some indeed desires to start war between the species by sparking misunderstandings."

"You seem to side Demons frequently, Alexandra. Are you perhaps a Dem-" Zane joked halfheartedly.

"You have no right to ask that, after the newest incident to the very least."

Suspicion arose within Zane Adriel within seconds. He never accepted the Demon extinction-they were too powerful to disappear just like that. It was possible they lived amongst them hiding.

"Whatever the culprit may be, one thing is certain. The battle of retention will be reborn soon. With Erido scattered around London, it ought to be challenging." Zane recounted.

"Once the leader is identified, the whole of Erido can be put behind bars.

Their strategy was simple-find the leader, force him to expose every member of Erido, end the chaos once and for all. Alexandra understood their intentions clearly. The leader wanted humans and Angels to doubt the extinction of Demons, make everyone suspect each other. By any chance, if Noah and her identity was discovered, it might cause a catastrophe. She couldn't return back to Hell either, which would only make it obvious. Before Angels prepare themselves and somehow attack the Demons, history would repeat itself.

The tensed conversation got interrupted by the vibration of Zane's smartphone. Sierra Adams being the caller. He reluctantly picked it up to hear an unexpected response.

"Zane?! Get your arse here right now! The Adriel mansion is under attack!"

Zane felt his heart sink, his stomach twist into a knot. He was taken aback to his past trauma of the fire in Heaven. The raging flames of death, scarlet colouring the ivory tiles, they all returned to him gradually. The phone slipped from his grasp leaving him a shivering mess.

"Is something the matter?" Alexandra impassively asked to Zane's sudden change of attitude.

"Fire... there's a fire." Zane mumbled, his eyes almost poking out of his sockets.

"I beg your par-"

Zane attempted to leave quietly and abandon Alexandra, but was unsuccessful. The limit of informality was crossed. She was infuriated with such impudence, but her method of expressing it was complex. Instead of screaming at Zane she block him with one arm and for demanded an explanation.

"MY HOUSE IS ON FIRE, GOT IT?!"

Alexandra noticed tears building up in Zane's eyes, a look of fear she never saw on him. This wasn't an excuse to escape their awkward meeting like before, this much she understood.

"Let me borrow your car, please."

"...only if I drive."

"We'll have to get there fast, though."

"Leave that to me."

Next thing Zane knew, they were practically flying past the city to get to there destination. No wonder she was known to be a reckless driver aside her calmness. However, it was thanks to her that they arrived early.

It was like the soirée incident all over again. From a distance, smoke was visible close to the mansion. The congregation in front of the mansion instantly scattered into subsections when Alexandra made her grand arrival right in front, unbothered if anyone was injured- almost like she repelled them all.

Surprisingly enough, help hadn't arrived yet. It was up to Zane to do something. However, his past trauma triggered within him. He stumbled, drowning in bewilderment, when his instincts kicked in.

"Mr Adriel!" Alexandra yelled his name as he shoved past everyone and raced inside.

The Adriel residential staff and Sierra isolated the mansion already, approaching Alexandra in extreme panic. Sierra squeezed her arms tightly. Realising Zane went in for nothing, Alexandra's blood curdled.

"Where's Zane? Don't tell me-"

"He went in thinking you all were inside. That fool..."

"Oh no, I have to save him!"

Sierra was stopped forcefully midway by Alexandra, who was yet strangely calm. She tried to break away, but failed. Alexandra squeezed her shoulders and stared deep into her soul.

"Control yourself, he will be alright."

"ZANE IS ALONE! THERE MIGHT BE HAVOCS INSIDE! I CAN'T RELY ON THE POLICE, WHO KNOWS HOW LONG THEY'LL TAKE-"

"...I'll go."

══ஓ๑⊶❈⊷๑ஓ══

His home, once again, was in ruins. This time, Zane couldn't make the same mistake he did as a child. Last time he lost his parents; this time be couldn't bear to lose anyone. He shouted to make himself heard to anyone inside. Nobody was to be found. His photos, books, everything was burning in flames. Zane landed in a circle of fire by the time he realised he wasn't alone.

Scarlet eyes, cyborg-life figure.

"You still haven't given up? How dare you involve my friends into this?!" Zane hissed indignantly.

"Does this remind you of something? Maybe something...like the death of your parents?"

This HAVOC was unlike the previous ones. It was similar to a Demon more than a cyborg- blood glowing red eyes, gigantic black wings, ferocious expression. Faint images of the past resembled it who stood before him; similar to the one that was present the day his family and friends died before him.

Whoever this HAVOC was, it knew of Zane's past in Heaven. How, he didn't know, but his identity was at risk. He fidgeted as the paranoia came over him. His fear perfectly diphanous.

"I-I don't know what you're talking about-"

"Spare me your bullsh*t. That night in Heaven, your loved ones were killed. You were the only one who survived, and for what? You cannot even avenge them. You know who were responsible, don't you?"

"S-Shut up! Lies!"

"Demon. You know they exist still, do you not? How much of a coward are you?! Why aren't you avenging them? Why aren't you making the Demons suffer? Why? Why?"

The world seemed to spin. Zane's feet barely stood still as the words triggered him. The HAVOC chanted 'coward' maniacally to the point it was out of Zane's control. His promiscuous decision backbit him. He buried his face in his arms, beseeching for it to stop.

Until he heard glass break a room away.

The verandah's glass window shattered into millions as Alexandra broke through it. Belligerence rushed her veins. Not at those responsible, but at Zane. Never had she met anyone so reckless. She couldn't wait to beat some senses into him- if he made it out alive at least. He already caused her enough ignominy, no more.

From afar, she saw Zane shouting at a HAVOC vehemently...as if trying to oppose to it. Suddenly, its laser red eyes took notice of her. Before Alexandra knew it, the HAVOC pointed its shotgun at her formidably. Unprepared, Alexandra thought of making use of her powers...but Zane intervened.

At the blink of an eye, his arms wrapped around her. An aura of purity surrounded her like from a dream. Her head was pressed against Zane's chest while he held her closely. She looked at him bewildered to see his eyes squeezed shut and his body tremble. Then, she couldn't believe what she witnessed.

An Angel?

Two magnificent ivory wings appeared behind his back, shielding them from the objects thrown at them. Zane's glowing orbs of purple made contact with Alexandra's lifeless ones, leaving her utterly flabbergasted. Words weren't needed; she could understand Zane's thoughts nonetheless.

"I'll explain everything. Just let me be in charge this time."

Several holes landed on those heavenly wings, blood dripping down the white feathers as Zane squeaked excruciatingly. However, that wasn't enough to break him this time.

He soared with his wings elegantly, a celestial being before the light with stunning halo floating above his head. Killing it, Zane's choice wasn't. Instead, he hovered around the HAVOC who strangely, showed no astonishment. Zane gently put his hand on its head, making it fall into unconsciousness.

He snapped back into reality once the rage within him subsided Aghast struck Alexandra like never before. Expecting the consequences to be faced, Zane plodded towards her as he those hefty wings.

An impactful explosion occured behind him, signalling them to run. This time Alexandra acted first before seeking an explanation. They dashed out through the verandah before they could get squashed under the concrete like the HAVOC. Once they were out of harm's way, the real trouble arose. Zane reverted back to like when he seemed to be a human.

"Well, you saw what you saw. Guess I can't lie...I'm an Angel. I've been residing in London for the past few years, not telling anyone about it."

"Are you the only one?" Alexandra finally stabilised.

"No...Sierra and Lucus too."

"I see..."

"Y-You're not surprised? You don't seem so."

"I am. Just not showing it."

Zane was left with no words. He had mentally prepared to get screamed at or excessive panicking from Alexandra. But who was he kidding, it was the earl who never lost composure. He took a deep breath and settled his mind to speak.

"I trust you enough to tell you everything, so please keep my secret."

"Alright. Now, let us reunite with miss Sierra, she worries for you."

══ஓ๑⊶❈⊷๑ஓ══

"It must have completed the task by now."

A deadly serious ambience became of Stephen's chambers. Accompanying him was Ralph Landers, his partner in crime.

"If it succeeds, we shall move forward with our plan." Ralph grinned cynically.

"If I may ask, why aren't we killing Zane Adriel yet? If we'd gotten rid of him, killing that Demon earl would be easy."

"You are too simpleminded, my friend. Adriel is my trump card; he is the medium through which we'll get closer to the Demons. Now that we have triggered his memories and made him homeless, he won't sit still. Who knows, he might even try to wipe out the Demons himself."

"Understandable, but then why aren't you telling him about her? Once he learns the truth, he won't sit still-nobody will."

"Not yet, Stephen. Let them get closer. With time, he'll find out on his own. We will only guide him and nothing more. Once the truth unveils, lord Adriel's vehemence will be unmeasurable."

Cynical laughter invaded Stephen's seriousness. He began to take interest in Ralph's treachery towards his own kind. Though he claimed he did it to bring down the Demons, Stephen was well aware of his true intentions- power.

They'd use Zane to get closer to Alexandra and Noah, find out her past, reveal it one by one and watch the world slowly fall into chaos. The hatred for Demons were reborn, thanks to the creation of Erido. If the Alexandra Allura were to be exposed now, everyone she trusted would turn their backs on her without doubt.

All they had to do now, was wait for sign and the battle of retention would return.

Stephen received a message just then. A subtle smile crawled up on his face as he stared at the screen. Ralph watched him snigger to himself, expectant of the news.

"I see, thank you."

"Well?"

"It has been done. But it seems your trump card has revealed himself first."

"That fool!"

The sudden rage coming from Ralph who rarely lost his cool caught Stephen off guard. It stayed briefly until Ralph returned to being prim.

"Now that the Demon knows, she will be more alert. She must tell Zane first...or let Zane find out on his own. I know what to do now-"

"And what may that be, Ralph?"

Stephen was left unanswered to. Ralph grabbed his coat in a hurry and rushed out of the room to Zane Adriel's residence. Stephen didn't ask, didn't stop him; for he had plans of his own.

"Well well, I suppose it is time for me to get into business too..."

Stephen rested his thing above the other; anomalously delinquent and relaxed. The ingenious gent enjoyed his tea as he stared out of the window, watching his pedantic accomplice fall into his own down gradually. His moment of leisure lasted briefly. Astrid Kestrel walked on him with upmost indifference.

"Hey kid! Took you long enough." Stephen smiled amiably.

"You asked for me? Make it quick." 

"Now now kiddo, politeness is always appreciated. Sit, I'll pour you some tea."

Astrid gave in with a sigh, knowing there was no point rebelling against the jolly, carefree man. Without her realising, Stephen had become like a father figure to her. He motivated her like her father used to, preached like a madman. She couldn't remember why he approached her in the first place. Nevertheless, she didn't mind having him around.

"I recall you mentioning your ancestors having some historical biography from the Angel-Demon incident. If you permit, I wish to take a look at it."

"And that is because..."

"Trust me on this, kiddo. Have I ever done anything to break your trust?"

Quaintness oozed out of Stephen as his smile widened peculiarly. Astrid couldn't deny, being the innocent soul she was.

"Although...Astrid dear, you might want to check on your friend Zane first."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

840 57 22
The year is 3145. Angels and Demons have been at war for centuries. The year 2268 was officially deemed as the end of the world. No one quite knew ho...
79 19 14
Hell is empty and all the devils are here Earth has been invaded by the demonic and humankind has been brought to its knees. It was beaten into me th...
20.2K 884 13
Angels vs Demons in modern day London. Grounded to Earth, angels have been battling demons for centuries. Camael believes that this year will be a t...
1.3K 79 68
re-edited!! We've been told hundreds of times that demons are the bad guys but what happens when it's the angels that are the bad guys? Phoenix spen...