Asleep

By MikaelaBender

(Free to read + a paid bonus chapter) In a time when kidnapping is a common occurrence, Nora is about to beco... More

1 Is It Too Late to Quit?
2 Destined Dreamers
3 Meet Charlie
4 Stay Awake
5 Cursed
6 Welcome to Your New Life
7 My Assignment
8 There Was No Before
9 The Welcoming Committee
10 Home Sweet Home?
11 Her First Day
12 A Tea Party
13 Menagerie
15 The Horizon
16 The Monthly Son Meeting
17 Wake Up
18 My Future
19 Offer
20 Where I Belong
21 Chrysanthemums
22 You Can Tell Us
23 Are You Her Friend?
24 Somewhere I'm Powerless
25 Dad
26 Broken
27 Gone
28 Who Is That?
29 Taking My Humanity
30 Where Is She?
31 Erased
32 Confronted
33 No Longer Exists
34 Paying the Price
35 Res
36 Breakfast
37 For Radia
38 The Den
39 Family Secrets
40 Lucid
41 Undeliverable
42 She's Asleep
43 Teach Me
44 His Eighth Son
45 Why Am I Cooking If This Is a Dream?
46 Employees Only
47 Are You Going to Let Go of Me?
48 My Circus
49 We're Not Getting Out
50 The Meadow
51 Outside Somnia
52 Flowers
53 His Plans for Her
54 In Love With You
55 What is It Like to Swim?
56 Whale Sharks and Fairytales
57 A Sleeping Angel
58 Parents
59 An Invitation
60 Tell Her I Haven't Forgotten Her
61 Late
62 Sister
63 I Need to Do This
64 Kechik
65 Requests
66 Fearscapes
67 Staking
68 Punished
69 Masked
70 Wake
71 Awakened
72 Privacy
73 Showers
74 Outside
75 Mom, Dad, and This Guy
Epilogue
Exclusive Chapter: College
Writer Reveal: Dinner with Dr. Pace: Chapters 55 & 56
New Book ~CLAUS~

14 Tacos

1.2K 184 10
By MikaelaBender

Nora~~

Radia shoves her taco in her mouth, the hard shell cracking.

I scoop up rice onto my fork. I noticed this restaurant the other day when Charlie and I walked past it after delivering the letters. I've been buying and cooking her food while she searches for a job. Charlie's paying me after each day of work for now. It was a surprise to find out I knew how to cook. Nothing major but enough not to starve and to be satisfied with the taste.

The restaurant is full of people, their voices a buzz in the air. There's a smell of spice and roasted vegetables that hang over the tables and only serves to make me want to eat more.

Radia sets her taco down, the wax paper lining the metal tray crinkling. "I'm interviewing at two places for an assistant position. One's at the news offices and the other is at a bank. You're lucky Tye pushed you to go for your job." She doesn't say it, but I know from her diverted gaze that she wonders why Tye didn't also try to get her to interview for my job.

Radia is proof that it can take days to find a job. No job means no food.

"How do you feel about them? Do you think you have a chance?"

She picks up a chip. "I do. The people I would be working for are a lot older than me. I don't know if I could have a boss who's only a year older than I am."

I shrug, digging my fork into my beans. "He's okay. I don't spend much time with him. He has me come in after he's already started working."

She grabs another chip and cracks it in half. "He must be having inappropriate thoughts about you and is trying to keep you away."

I nearly choke on my beans. "Radia, no."

"I'll talk to Tye, see what he thinks."

            I point my fork at her. "Don't you dare."

            She raises the taco to her lips, hiding unsuccessfully a smile. With a groan, I sink down in my seat and can only hope she gets a job soon so she won't have so much free time to use on ruining my very new life.

A friendly reminder that you're amazing. I hope you're having a great day.

Keep counting those fingers.

~Mikaela

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

730 64 19
In the quiet desert village of Dey, living among the sand dunes and mirages, existed an anomaly - me. I was different, born without the ability to re...
1K 406 143
No one ever knows the whole story... Nestled deep in the forests of the Pacific Northwest, something is emerging. Kept in absolute secrecy, it seeps...
32.8K 4.3K 51
People like Caia aren't supposed to exist. Ever since England passed the Firstborn Act, families are only allowed one child, and illegally born Secon...
21.7K 622 8
An angelic halfling, thrown into a brutal war - not her own. Can she survive, can humanity? Angels or Hellion, Sky hates them both, hell, she even ha...