Albion: The Beginning of the...

Par half_a_banana

"The adventure continues..." ****** In the midst of darkness, in the midst of distress and despair, the King... Plus

Author's Note
Tyranny and Wickedness
An Unspoken Truth
Troublesome Things
A Plan of Liberation
Fateful Consequences
The Dragon's Cry
A Spark of Hope
No Matter The Cost
Second Chances
The Thorn in His Side
A Broken Hope
New Generations (Part 2)
Gratitude

New Generations (Part 1)

35 2 40
Par half_a_banana

The hallways were strewn with the bodies of the fallen. The king and the warlock stepped amongst them trying not to step into any blood or guts that spilled on the floor.

The scene before them was sorrowful and horrific as they saw the remains of the innocent who were so mercilessly slaughtered.

Arthur and Merlin continued to make their way in the dark towards the royal chambers but then a ray of sunlight shone through the glass panes of the window causing the men to stop.

They looked at each other in the light of this single ray, a sense of peace and calm came over them even if they knew that this may not be over.

The light would always defeat the darkness.

They stepped towards the window to gaze outside and what they saw brought about a sense of comfort and relief. For the enemy had retreated and Arthur's people were coming home. The king released a sigh that seemed to be lodged in his heart for a very long time.

Arthur let out a breathy chuckle and clapped Merlin on the shoulder. "Our people are safe," Arthur smiled at his friend. "Come on, let's get to Guinevere."

They turned away from the window and continued towards the queen.

"Arthur," Merlin said, stopping his friend.

"What is it now?" asked Arthur.

Merlin sighed before continuing, "I'm sorry. I'm sorry for not telling you and Gwen about your child. I'm sorry for the pain I've caused you." He dropped his head in shame.

Arthur scoffed slightly, "Merlin."

The warlock looked up.

"You have awful timing. I mean of all times now is when you want to stop and have a conversation," said Arthur sternly but there was a hint of a smile.

Merlin huffed in anger and started to walk away. He was trying to make it right and this clot pole decides to make a big, fat joke.

"Merlin," Arthur chuckled lightly, stopping him with his hand. "I was just trying to lighten the mood but in all seriousness I forgive you."

Merlin's expression changed from that of annoyance to relief.

"I understand why you did what you did," Arthur continued. "I'm not angry, just disappointed that you felt the need to hide something so important from us. But I know you, Merlin. I know that you will never intentionally harm me or my family. However, as good as your intentions may be, let's promise to be transparent with each other in the future."

A small, grateful smile graced the warlock's lips. "Thank you, Arthur," he replied. Arthur returned his smile with a slight nod.

"After all," Arthur said, "You're the only friend I've got."

Merlin's eyes brightened with mischief as he replied, "And you couldn't bear to lose me?"

Arthur rolled his eyes. "Don't push it," he replied cheekily.

They grinned at each other as they ran off to the chambers.

******

The doors opened in haste frightening the occupants within the room.

"Guinevere!"

"Gaius!"

Arthur and Merlin said simultaneously. They ran to their loved ones.

Guinevere reached out her hands to Arthur in a gesture of the need for comfort. Without hesitation he ran to his wife's side holding onto her as she sobbed. Axel had stepped away to give the royal couple some space.

Arthur looked expectantly at Axel who was awkwardly standing on the side. "What happened?" the king asked as he soothed his wife.

Axel gulped and replied, "I did the best I could, sire, but I was overthrown by the Lady Morgana."

Arthur's eyes went wide in alarm. "She was here?"

"Don't worry I don't think she harmed the queen, sire," the young knight assured the king though his knees were knocking slightly. "However, I do think she did something to your, to your..." he trailed off unable to get the words out as guilt racked his body.

"Axel, what did she do?" Arthur demanded.

Axel looked up in sorrow and guilt. "I-I think she killed your child, sire. Forgive me," said the knight sorrowfully. He lowered his head in shame.

Arthur turned in horror looking at his wife for the truth. "Guinevere," he managed to choke out, shaking her slightly to get her attention. "Is this t-true?" He hoped beyond hope that it wasn't.

Guinevere looked up at Arthur, her eyes red from weeping. She nodded mutely and then replied shakily, "I can't feel anything. I can't feel our baby." She broke down again holding onto Arthur as he held her fast, his own tears mingled with hers as he wept silently.

The warlock overheard the painful exchange. His heart was bleeding with sadness for his friends while he held his almost lifeless guardian in his arms.

"Gaius," Merlin said tearfully. "Gaius, you can't leave me. We need you. I need you."

"Me-Merlin," Gaius was able to get out of his breathless state.

"Yes, yes, I'm here Gaius," Merlin replied hopeful, clutching the old man's hand that was reaching up to him.

"Take care of Cecilia," whispered the old man.

Merlin smiled through his tears.

Even though his guardian was dying, the old physician still wanted to make sure those who needed him were taken care of.

A true physician at heart.

"B-But, I want you to take care of yourself too," Gaius struggled to say.

Merlin began to shush him. "No, no, Gaius, save your breath. I'm going to save you, like I saved Arthur."

Gaius chuckled lightly, his eyes closing for a bit. "Merlin, you need to let me go."

Merlin shook his head furiously, the tears coming down in earnest.

"The time has come for the land to be governed by the new generation, you and Arthur. The old must die so that the new can live. This new era will need a ruler and a protector, and that is you and Arthur. Fulfill your destinies, unite the land of Albion."

Gaius began to move about as the pain of the loss of oxygen intensified. Merlin held his guardian as he listened to the last words he would ever hear from his beloved old friend.

"But I want you to do something for yourself," said the old man. "Find love, Merlin. Find someone who makes your heart beat, find someone who makes you want to run away with them, find the one that you cannot let go. Someone who makes life worth living."

Merlin's heart was breaking at Gaius' words because they brought up all the pain and sorrow he had when he lost that someone that Gaius was speaking of. He did find that someone but he lost her all too soon.

Gaius began to fade, his eyes falling shut, his skin losing its colour.

The sobs behind the warlock had quietened as the king, queen, and knight beheld the warlock and his beloved guardian.

Before releasing his last breath, Gaius looked at Merlin as he bid him farewell,

"I love you, my son."

And then his eyes closed.

The warlock sobbed silently clutching his guardian, his father, rocking back and forth as the pain intensified with each and every tear fall.

Then a gasp came from behind.

Guinevere clutched her stomach, and Arthur looked at her worriedly. She looked up at her husband's concerned face.

"Our child is alive," said Guinevere.

Arthur and Guinevere embraced each other tightly. Then he placed his hand on her swollen abdomen feeling his child move about.

Merlin turned away and looked at the peaceful look on Gaius' face that lay on his lap.

Such was the balance of nature.

For a life to be given, one had to be taken.

******

The air was turning chilly as the day was beginning to end.

Merlin was walking around the dilapidated throne room cleaning up the rubble but wasn't doing a very good job because his mind was elsewhere.

In the past hour he was bombarded with a whole range of emotions. Having to watch Gaius die was heart breaking but with it came a strange sense of peace knowing that he was ready to leave.

Merlin knew that coming to terms with Gaius' passing would not be easy but he would give himself the time to grieve, just as he had done with his own father.

Added onto that grief came the sense of relief knowing that Arthur's child was spared, even after all that they had been through.

A clatter from the doorway brought Merlin back to the present. He saw the youngest knight of Camelot coming through carefully stepping over fallen debris as he made his way to the warlock.

"Is Arthur alright?" Merlin asked Axel.

Axel gave Merlin a small smile. "Yes, he is. The king wanted to know if you're alright," he replied. Merlin returned the small smile.

"The king doesn't want to leave the queen's side but he wanted to make sure his friend was okay," Axel explained.

Merlin let out a short chuckle. "Did he actually say that?" he asked amused.

Axel smiled kindly. "No," he replied, "but I know he meant it."

They smiled at each other and then a short silence fell between them.

"Axel, would you do me a favour?" Merlin asked.

"What is it?" replied the knight, ready to be of aid.

"Go down to the dungeons," Merlin said, "and see if you can find a young girl imprisoned down there."

Axel nodded and turned around heading with all seriousness on his mission.

Merlin watched him leave, grateful for the knight and his willingness to be of assistance. He continued to clean up but then he heard a very troubled voice calling out his name.

"MER-LIN!"

He knew that voice all too well.

The warlock ran out towards the king and spotted him at the end of the hallway.

"Arthur! What is it?" Merlin asked when he saw how anxious his friend looked and his eyes wide with panic.

"The baby is coming."

Arthur and Merlin sprinted to Guinevere.

Continuer la Lecture

Vous Aimerez Aussi

9.1K 314 8
"Welcome to Camelot, Merlin, where anyone with magic is destined to die." ♛ "Who exactly are you?" "I already introduced myself. Have you forgotten...
174K 5.9K 16
This is a Fan-Fiction based upon the BBC series 'Merlin': Merlin is busy as usual working as King Arthur's servant. He rarely gets a good night's sle...
6.5K 251 20
Continuation of Merlin. (Fan fiction) In a Land of myth and a time of magic, there lived a Warlock with a great destiny. Though as the time past that...
38.8K 1.4K 36
Destiny...Fate...Call it what you will, has everyone set on a certain path. Merlin's destiny is to protect Prince Arthur, to see him become King and...