Hiding My Heart

By J_abbis

Deidre -Dee- Johson has had a rough life. A mother who is a drunk, a father who ditched out on her and her br... More

Hiding My Heart
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Epliogue
Bonus - We Owned the Night
Authors Note on Sequel

Chapter 9

30.2K 747 88
By J_abbis

Drew Roy (Mike)-------->

**Preston's P.O.V** 

"Hey, Preston." I heard Scott say coming into the small office that my father had given me. I looked up and smiled at him. 

He whistled and looked around the office. "Wow, it's getting serious now." He said trying to joke, but I could hear the nerves in his voice. 

Since my birthday was in a few days that means that I will be taking over for my father as Alpha. Every Alpha passes down their title once their eldest turns eighteen, along with the Beta and other authority figures in the pack. To say that everyone was nervous was an understatement. Since I am turning eighteen before Scott it still means that he gets the position on the night of my birthday. My father had each given us a small office space for us to take over, I was originally going to be taking over my fathers, but I couldn't do that to him. He still had authority even though I was going to be Alpha he was still a part of the leading council.  

"It's crazy right?" I asked and he nodded, sitting in the chair opposite of me. 

"Kinda nerve wrecking." He agreed. "So I heard you wanted to talk to me."  

I leaned back in my chair, looking at him with a level look. I had wanted to talk to him since I got here, regarding a little certain mate of mine, but he'd been busy and always out when I wanted to talk to him. Since I was taking over for my father in a few days I needed to get everything with my mate sorted out. And all that leads is to Scott, I wasn't going to go dig into her past, since it's one of the rules, I just needed some answers from him. Since Dee was going to be the Luna of the pack I needed to tell Scott. Well I really needed to tell everyone that I had found my mate considering that they look down at people who haven't found their mates yet.  

I needed to tell them so they didn't mock my authority or doubt it. Having a Luna at your side just helps the image of a strong Alpha, but my mate was a little different than most. She was full of secrets and a past that she wants to forget about. She doesn't trust easily. 

"I did actually." I leaned forward, my hands on my desk. "You know that I haven't found my mate right?" He nodded. "Well, it's funny actually because I had found her a few weeks ago." I looked for his reaction and was surprised to see him shocked. 

"When?" He stuttered out.  

"When I had come into town and was at that teen club." I said. 

"So she's human than?" He asked in surprise and I nodded. 

"The only problem is, she doesn't seem to like the idea of anyone getting close to her. And I have to ask you, and I need you to be honest." I said giving him a very straight serious look making him nod hesitantly, confused on the sudden turn in the conversation. "Are you involved with my mate? Dee?"  

All was quiet in the room. His mouth opened in surprised then closed, his eyes were wide as he looked at me. 

"Dee? As in Deidre Johnson, my best friend Dee?" He asked. 

I nodded. "I had felt that pull when I first touched her after I had saved her. And I have been feeling the bond and the pull strength every time I am near her. Now, answer my question and I want honesty." I said. 

You see when a werewolf finds his mate he becomes incredibly possessive over her. All males become your worst enemy, you don't want anyone looking at her or touching her. And it has been killing me to see how casually Scott touches her to help calm her down. One of the very reasons why I want to gain her trust so much is so she can feel comfortable with me like that. She already knows about us which is a good thing, so I don't have to worry about frightening her too much, but I still don't know how she will react if I told her she was my mate. 

"No! I'm not involved with her! Why would you think that? And I'm sorry, I didn't know-" He began but I cut him off with a sigh of relief. 

"I just thought you were since... I overheard you talking about someone being in town and then trying to get her to run off with you. I thought that you knew she was my mate, but you wanted her..." I trailed off realizing how stupid I sounded. 

He looked away. "I wasn't talking about you... it was someone else we were talking about." 

"Jared?" I said casually and his head jerked up.  

"How did you know?" He asked. 

"He was the one I saved her from at the club, not to mention all the rumors going around about her and this guy named Jared."  

He nodded. "I'm sorry Preston I didn't know. But if you're looking to get answers I can't help you. It's not my story to tell." 

I nodded leaning back and looking at the ceiling. "I know, and I didn't mean for it to sound like I was digging into her past. I know she's complicated and it's going to take some time for her to come around. I just... it's killing me not knowing you know?" He nodded. "I just want to help her so bad, and it's so obvious she's been damaged before." I trailed off my mind going back to our talk. 

"She's working on it you know?" He said making me look over at him. "To trust you I mean. I haven't seen her like this in so long since.... She's just happier, either from feeling the bond with you, or from something else. She's finally moving on and I can tell it has something to do with you."  

"I'm doing all that I can to gain her trust." I admitted. 

"I expected much, but you're the first guy since this summer that she's actually talked to. And I see her finally getting better, but I don't want you to screw her up." He warned. "You have to go slow with her. No surprises, she's very fragile." He explained. "She hasn't got the best past in the world when it comes to trusting men. So please, take things slow. I'm here to help if you need it, but I can't tell you about her. I already swore to my grave that I wouldn't tell anyone."  

I nodded. "Don't worry; I wasn't planning on forcing you to tell me anything. I just needed to make it clear that I had found my mate. You've heard about how possessive we get when we find them. And with my birthday coming in a few days and all-" I trailed off. "I know that my possessiveness is going to get a lot worse since I will have the Alpha blood running stronger and I am not mated just yet. I just wanted to warn you that I may not take well with you holding my mate like you have been." I warned. 

He chuckled lightly. "Sorry about that, it just helps calm her down to know that I am right there with her. And it's because I was there, I saved her." He said. The more riddles he gave the more questions I had, but I knew I couldn't go to him for the help, I would have to go straight for the source. 

"Just give her some more time. This is the most I've seen her interact with anyone other than her brother and me and Sasha. Just be careful with her." He warned. 

None of us had time to talk further because we got a command through our links that had us running out the doors. 

Landon has been attacked. Jamie, get everyone into the pack house right now. Came my father's voice. Our trackers have caught the scent of a pack of rogues. They attacked Landon while he was doing his parole. 

No one asked questions as we shifted and started running towards my father who was carrying a bleeding and cut open Landon. Doc came out and grabbed him carrying him towards the pack house that was now in full swing, people running inside, my mother shouting orders to everyone. 

Preston, Hunter go to the outskirts of town towards the west, try to track any scent you can. Elizabeth, Mike take to the river, if they have passed through try to track them on the other side, I already sent trackers down that way. Sasha, Scott stay near the town, but out of sight. Ian, Greg, and Flitch go south. Jacob, Rick, you're with me. He ordered with a dismissal. 

Not wasting any time Hunter and I ran off west, going out of town. A pack of rogues? He linked to me. 

Doesn't seem right. I told him back as I moved with ease through the thick forest. The wind blew making me halt, my nose in the air taking a whiff. And smelling a scent that was defiantly werewolf but not one of ours made me growl. Hunter and I immediately went on faster, my stomach tightening as I realized why I recognized this part of the forest.  

It was right near Dee's house. I have spent many nights roaming this part, sleeping on the ground just outside her house. What happened next took us both by surprise; a sandy colored wolf lunged at us. Hunter, being the first to notice took over, lunging and growling at the intruder. I tensed up, my eyes and ears prickling as I scanned the area, looking for another. 

Seeing the sandy colored wolf focused intently on Hunter I lunged, my teeth latching on to one of his hind legs. He whimpered and turned to bat me away but I pulled back, tearing at his legs. Hunter regrouped and lunged at the wolf's throat. 

I've got it, scan the area. He told me.  

With a nod in his direction I moved forward towards Dee house. I needed to make sure that she was safe. Keeping my eyes and ears alert I ran across the forest grounds with ease, jumping over the rocks and fallen trees. I can still hear the growls and howls a mile away, but I never once blocked my link with Hunter. He kept me informed of what was happening.  

Trotting closer to her house I squatted down once I saw it come into view. My eyes scanning the area. 

She was sitting outside on her porch, a blanket tucked around her and a book lying in her lap. Her brown hair down for once and tangled in front of her face, whipping around in the wind. For once she didn't have her glasses on, I've only seen her two times before this with her glasses off. I loved looking into her grey eyes without the glasses blocking my way. 

She looked up and towards the sounds of the growls, not seeming bothered by them. About to make around the house to make sure nothing was there movement a few yards beside me caught my attention. I was so focused on seeing my mate and making sure she was ok I didn't do a proper scan. 

Hunched over, about to pounce was a large brown wolf, his black eyes focused on Dee. He was just watching her, with those predatory eyes, his teeth showing as his mouth twisted into a snarl. I was in action before he had time to act. I lunged at him, my teeth just grazing his throat.  

He yelped and turned towards me, growling. I hunched over my mouth twisting into my own snarl as I snapped at him. He was smooth with his attack, lunging in no time, but I caught just barely caught him with my paw, swiping him away.  

I lunged, my teeth tearing into his skin, clamping hard on his throat, my claws scrapping his head as he struggled to break out of my hold. Swiping his paw out he scratched my neck, digging into my skin. I yelped not preparing for him to make contact so fast. He threw me off within seconds, lunging on top of me, his teeth snapping and barring towards my own throat. Not wanting him to have the upper hand I snapped back, my claws digging into his throat, his paws, anywhere I could reach as I flipped him off of me.  

Just as I was going to make my move he snarled one last time before sprinting off. I wanted to go after him as much as my wolf did. But my protectiveness over my mate stopped me; in times of battle when your mate was left unprotected she is your first priority if she is unable to fight back. And considering she is human and exposed to the forest and everything in it, I couldn't leave her to chase after the wolf. 

South, one is headed south. Big and Brown, had a scout with him so I'm assuming he is the leader. I could be wrong. I linked to my pack; anyone who had free time knew to go after him.  

Hunter, report. I linked as I crouched down as I heard a truck drive up to the house. My eyes instantly finding her brother. 

I can still hear the growling and howling so I knew he was still in the fight. But I couldn't leave just yet, not until she was safely inside. 

"Dee? What are you doing out here? Haven't you heard the news?" He asked outraged at his sister. 

She was now standing up, her eyes scanning the area. She stood tall, her book clenched in her hand, her blanket on the floor, forgotten. At the sound of her brother's voice she looked up at him. 

"What are you talking about?" She asked, her eyes going back to looking, her eyes scanned over my area, I ducked further into the ground. 

He hurried over to her, his eyes looking in the direction where the growling from Hunter and the other wolf were fighting. 

I got him, Linc hold him down, we have to wait for Preston. I heard Hunter say. 

I'll be there soon, keep him down. I linked back. I just needed to see her get into the house and I would feel better about leaving her. 

"They found a huge pack of wolves a few miles out of town. Tommy Barnes was attacked trying to save his horse." He said picking up the blanket. "Some of the villagers are gathering up their pitch forks and guns, going out for a hunt later on tonight. Every news station is warning folks to stay inside for the time being." 

She snorted. "This isn't the first time this has happened. We live in Oregon for heaven's sakes, wolves do live here also." She pointed out. 

"I get that, everyone gets that. But you know the rules when it gets closer to winter. They get braver and closer to town just to get food. Now come on, they sound close and anyways you aren't allowed out here by yourself." He scolded. 

She rolled her eyes. "Mom is here, so I wasn't all by myself." She argued back. 

"Yeah, like she's much of a parent looking out for you. No more arguing, let's go inside. It's not safe out here" He said opening the door and holding it out for her. 

She looked back one last time, her eyes resting on the area I was at, almost like she felt me there watching her. 

"But I feel safe." She whispered, so low that her brother didn't hear her. But I did, and it made my wolf jump for joy. She had felt safe with me here. 

She walked inside with a little pat to her brother's shoulder. Once the door was closed and the lock turned and bolted I moved out of my position with ease, looking back one last time before sprinting towards Hunter and Linc. 

When I arrived at the spot I left him they had the wolf trapped on the floor, both were holding him down. 

We got him down about five minute ago, he won't shift and he won't cooperate. Hunter informed me. Your father has also called everyone back for a meeting

I nodded walking up to the rogue wolf. Shift. I demanded to the wolf. 

The wolf whined, trying to block out the alpha demand. He was shaking, trying to fight it. 

Shift now. I growled out to him, not holding back on my alpha power. 

He shifted in seconds; the big sandy colored wolf was replaced by a naked teenage boy. He kept his sandy head down, not looking up at me as he laid there exposed and defenseless. 

I shifted back, standing over him powerfully. "We will be taking you to our safe keep, if you try to shift or attack at any time you will be killed immediately." I warned. 

He nodded after a few seconds of hesitating.  

I nodded to Hunter and Linc as they shifted into their human forms and grabbed him by the arms, dragging his body up. Shifting back I began to lead the way back to our house. 

I need someone to come pick us up, we got one and he's cooperating at the moment, but we still are miles away. I linked to my father. 

Get by the road; someone will come pick you up in five. He said back.  

Leading them towards the road we stayed in the trees, waiting for the truck to come. I kept my eyes trained on the boy as he kept his head down, trying to cover up. My ears pricked as I heard wheels on gravel, peaking out I noticed my dad's red truck barreling down the road. I stepped out lightly and watched the truck slow down to a stop right next to us. 

Take him into the car; I want one of you in back and one with him. I'll run alongside just in case. I demanded them. 

Without anything else being said they put him in the car, and were off before you knew it. I ran alongside of the car, one eye on the moving vehicle the other where I was going. Upon seeing the house come into view I launched myself faster to where one of the guards were waiting with a pile of clothes for me.  

Shifting I hurried and got dressed just as the truck pulled up. Hunter hopped out of the back, dragging on a pair of jeans. 

Grant got out of the driver's side, hauling the rogue with him. "Put these on." I demanded throwing him a pair of jeans. 

He gathered up the jeans and pulled them on. "Follow us." I said once he was clothed. 

I walked in front of him, two more guards in the back and Hunter and Linc on each of his sides. Everyone was quiet when we walked by, all eyes on the boy as we walked inside, and down to the basement. Opening up a steel metal door we walked down the narrow hallway, cells lining up the walls. 

I opened one of the pure silver cells and motioned for him to get in. He hesitated for a while, looking horrified at the small cell. I could tell he wanted to bolt but knowing that I will do good on my threat he shuffled into the cell. 

"I would stay away from the bars, they are pure silver." I said and closed the cell, locking it and giving the key to Grant. 

"Wait-" he said, the first thing he spoke. "I- can I talk to your alpha before you decide anything on me. Like- killing me." He stuttered out. It was then that I noticed his slight shaking from terror, his eyes wide with fear. 

I nodded. "You will get your chance." Was all I said as I led everyone else out, locking the door behind us. 

"We will deal with him later, but for now we have a pack meeting to go to." I said. "Grant stay here, just in case." 

Grant nodded and I led the group outside where everyone was gathering. Seeing my father standing on a log I made my way over to him, standing beside my mom. Everyone gathered around, sitting on the ground, or standing in the back. We had Guards surrounding the area, their eyes focused on the trees. 

"People of the Shadow Pack please quiet down," His voice boomed over the small area. Instantly everyone's attention zeroed in on him as they quieted down. 

"I know this comes to a shock to you all. We have trackers looking for the pack of rogues as we speak. We don't know yet if they are just passing through or planning a battle with us. Right now I would like to warn all families to be careful, there will be no going on runs by yourself. When planning a run it must be in a pack of ten including at least three guards. There will be no leaving the pack grounds by yourself until we track the pack or find out more news on them." He demanded. 

All was quiet. "Now, on to those families who are just getting settled in their houses. You may continue living there; we will set a parole around your houses. We will continue to build the houses that were promised. Please go about your daily routines, we don't mean to frighten your children but you must be cautious." 

"Now, please, everyone join me inside where I have cooked a meal for you." My mom said squeezing my father's hand lightly, whispering in his ear. 

The people slowly walked towards the house, talking quietly about what had just happened. Once the yard was clear my father finally spoke to me. 

"I want you to question the boy in the cells." He said. 

I turned to him with wide eyes. "But-" 

He shook his head at me. "You will be taking control of this pack in three days. I want you to be able to show the council how you can handle this type of situation. I would council you not to make any rash decision now, and not talk to the boy just yet. I want you to look after Landon first; your pack is your first priority. Make rounds to some of the family members to see if they need anything or reassure them of their safety. Deal with the boy tomorrow." He said. 

I nodded. "Yes sir,"  

"Now, I want you and Scott in my office in five minutes." He said. I nodded and walked towards the house where I saw Scott walk to.  

"We need to go to my father's office." I informed him. 

He nodded, following me up to my father's office. "What do you think this is about?" He asked and I shrugged. 

"He didn't say." Was all I said as I entered the office and saw our lead Tracker Flynn and our lead guard, Rick sitting by the desk.  

"Boys." Rick said nodding towards us. I nodded back, sitting down next to him. 

"Good, everyone is here." I heard my father say walking in with Scott's father as he closed his door and walking to his desk. "I wanted to bring you all in here to tell you what is going to happen next." He said sitting down at the desk. Scott's father standing next to him. 

"Now, I just got the news that the pack of rogues entered the river, but no scent of their reached the other side. Which means that they are traveling in the river, Flynn, I want you and your best guys to travel that river as far as it goes. Try finding their scents if you find anything report back to me and we will go from there." He demanded and Flynn nodded his head. "As for the other wolf, the brown one, we couldn't track him at all. He must have headed a different direction because we couldn't track him down anywhere. But I want a sharp look out for him, if what you said was true and he is the leader we have a huge problem on our hands." 

"Rick, I want you to set up a parole around the family households. I want every guard we have to be on full alert; I don't want anything slipping by us. Scott, you and your father will be contacting all our neighborhood packs and warn them of what has happened. Report back to me when your duty has been fulfilled." He said in dismissal.  

Without a word they left the office closing the door behind them. My father sighed rubbing his temples lightly. 

"Go to Landon, and do as I told you before. I'm afraid I will have to report to the leading council tonight on what has happened. We may be expecting a visit from them a lot sooner." He said looking up at me and giving me a sad smile. He knew how nerve wrecking it was dealing with them before you get the alpha position.  

I nodded. "It will be ok, I'll go get mom." I said knowing that she will help calm him down. 

I walked out of the office and down the stairs to our dining room area. My mother was helping serve the younger kids, talking to other mothers. I walked up to her and gave her a small hug from behind. 

"Dad needs you mom." I said pulling back as she turned around to smile at me. "He's pretty stressed right now."  

She nodded, kissing my cheek lightly. "You will be ok; you will be an amazing Alpha." She assured me before taking the apron off and walking up the stairs. 

I really hope she was right. Knowing I had to see Landon first I made my way down to the basement yet again where the doctor's office was. 

"S_it! Get that thing f_cking away from me." I heard him shout as I walked inside, closing the door behind me. 

Landon lay on the bed; his leg was getting stitched up by Doc. Doc held a needle and thread, pulling his skin together again. 

"Stop squirming! I swear, you're a grown man, you can be able to handle a little needle." Doc growled out looking annoyed.  

I let out a chuckle causing Landon to sneer at me. "Shut up." He groaned wincing as Doc finally finished up. 

"Stop being such a baby." I teased sitting on the chair next to the bed. "Everything ok here Doc?" I asked. 

Doc, whose real name is David, laughed lightly. "Now it is a few scratches that aren't healing up right, a broken leg that had to get reset, a fractured arm, and deep gashes in his stomach and legs. But all will be healed tomorrow." He assured me packing up his stuff, and cleaning up all the blood. I nodded. 

"Now, keep an eye on him, I told him not to move too much, the gashes in his stomach may break open again. I have to go see your father." He said before leaving the room. 

I turned back to Landon, "Look, I need you to tell me all that you can on the attack." 

He nodded and got right down to it, telling me all that happened. 

....................................................................................................................................................................................... 

A\/N: sorry probably not the best werewolf chapter. But I was kinda struggling with it a little bit. I'm not a werewolf expert lol so I tried at it... hopefully it paid off and is good enough for ya guys.  

Anyway. I will be entering this into the watty awards as soon as it switches over :) so please vote and stuff. This will be the first book I place there, so I really don't know what to expect. But please please please, VOTE. COMMENT. FAN. PROMOTE. ENJOY!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2K 79 28
Olivia embarks on an uncanny adventure trying to find her truth, having to go into hiding as a rogue in a new town, to most of her memories unknowing...
2.2M 74.2K 49
COMPLETED - (book 2) Updated version now available on Amazon Kindle and Kindle Unlimited with an extra bonus chapter at the end! "I stood there for...
13.4K 912 111
When I locked my gaze with hers, everything became clearer. While my wolf screamed 'Mate' in my head with joy and excitement. I whispered with despai...
2K 149 28
❝ π‘‘β„Žπ‘’ π‘˜π‘–π‘ π‘  π‘œπ‘“ π‘Žπ‘› π‘Žπ‘›π‘”π‘’π‘™ π‘π‘Žπ‘› 𝑝𝑒𝑑 𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑛 π‘Ž 𝑑𝑒𝑣𝑖𝑙 π‘‘π‘œ 𝑠𝑙𝑒𝑒𝑝, π‘“π‘œπ‘Ÿ 𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑛 π‘Ž 𝑑𝑒𝑣𝑖𝑙 𝑖𝑠 π‘π‘Žπ‘π‘Žπ‘π‘™π‘’ π‘œπ‘“ 𝑓...