The Housekeeper's Daughter [E...

By PurpleKorea134

After Elvis returns from filming G.I. Blues, he finds himself falling in love with the beautiful daughter of... More

Chapter 1- Caught in the Act
Chapter 2 - Can't Take My Eyes Off Her
Chapter 4 - Sleeping Beauty
Chapter 5 - A Helpin' Hand
Chapter 6 - Story Time
Chapter 7 - Peanut Butter & Banana Sandwiches
Chapter 8 - A Few Too Many
Chapter 9 - Heated Words
Chapter 10 - To the Rescue
Chapter 11 - Sizzlin' at the Pool
Chapter 12 - An Unexpected Call
Chapter 13 - Shirtless
Chapter 14 - Free Tickets
Chapter 15 - How Could He...?!
Chapter 16 - A Short, But Meaningful Letter
Chapter 17 - Consequences
Chapter 18 - Mr. Jeremy Landler
Epilogue

Chapter 3 - The Colonel

2.7K 48 25
By PurpleKorea134

I would have to do this every day? Not much dust was going to accumulate in just a day. I honestly thought that Elvis didn't care one way or the other if every shelf, picture, or whatever surface was dusted. He put Momma in charge of the cleaning, though, and she liked things clean. She had been that way all my life. We never had a dirty house. She would be appalled with how I left it before I came to the mansion.

"I really asked for it, gettin' this job," I muttered to myself as I dusted the mantle above the fireplace with a feather duster. "But I'm bein' paid for it."

I thought for a second. Speaking of being paid... if I said that he could do it, Elvis would have called the Manhattan School of Music right after my mini-concert earlier. He was a good man, abiding by my wishes. He was that impressed with me. I grinned. I was accepted as a musically talented person by The King of Rock 'n' Roll.

My heart jumped when the doorbell rang. I let out a breath. "Golly, that scared me, doggonit..."

I looked over at the entryway and saw Momma come up to the door and then open it. I heard her say, "Colonel Parker, so nice to see ya again."

A man of around forty-something, and maybe about as tall as Elvis, walked into the entryway. He wore a cream-colored suit and a brown fedora hat. He reminded me of one of those New York gang thugs but in a light suit, and with an old-fashioned tie around his neck, not a normal one. "Yes, it's been a while, Mrs. Brighten," he said in an accent, and it sounded maybe European of some sort. I wasn't sure from where.

"I trust that you had safe travels and a splendid time in Germany?" She shut the door behind him.

"More or less, yes," he breathed. "It was too stuffy over there, and I didn't like the food much."

Momma nodded. "I see. Well, I will go up and fetch that star of yours. Please, make yourself comfortable."

"He's more my ward," he said, and my mouth flattened at the tone he used, as well as what he called Elvis. Momma left and went up the stairs. Colonel Parker came into the living room, and I quickly turned around and dusted the mantle a little more, even though I just did it. I moved on to the piano room and started dusting the piano off as well. Since when had I not been comfortable around a person without even meeting them?

"Miss," I heard behind me. I turned around to face Elvis's manager. The man had his hands in his pockets as he was standing in the middle of the room, standing out in the beauty of it.

"Yes, sir?"

"It's Colonel Tom Parker, miss." He took a few steps closer to me but was still maybe ten feet away. "You're a new face."

"I am. I started just yesterday. I'm Mrs. Brighten's daughter."

His bows rose under his hat. "Is that so? Well, I see the resemblance. Are you a fan of Elvis?"

There was a reason why he instantly asked me that. "Very much so, Colonel Parker."

He nodded, his mouth a flat line. He seemed very displeased. I could feel it. "I see. Well, aren't you a lucky girl, then?"

"I'm here to save up for music school," I defended myself.

"Music school, huh?"

"Yes."

I saw someone get off the stairs. It was Momma, but followed after her was Elvis. He came into the living room, and I noticed that he had on loose black slacks and a blue polo shirt. The man would look breathtaking in anything he wore.

"Colonel."

The man turned around. "Ah, you finally came down. What have you been doing all day? Taking a cat-nap?"

"For a little while earlier. I was bushed from all that travelin'."

"I bet you were. How about next time you do a little less sleeping and more practicing that voice of yours? You're going to be using it tonight."

Elvis nodded. "Yes, sir."

Elvis caught sight of me, and my heart jumped. I scurried out of the room passed them, through the entryway, through the dining room and into the kitchen. I stopped when I came to the entrance of it. I heard the two men sit down in the sofa.

"So, Elvis... I met that new maid of yours. Mrs. Brighten's daughter, huh?"

"Yes, she's here to save up money for music school."

"So I was told. I don't like it."

My chest pinched. He didn't like what?

"What don't ya like?" Elvis asked.

"You let a fan into your home, a fan that happens to be a pretty young lady who is interested in music so much, she's saving up for music school. She's another one of them, just like that Priscilla. All these girls are throwing themselves at you, and so far, Anita and Priscilla succeeded in gaining your affections."

Priscilla? Was he referring to the girl who was younger than me who stole Elvis's heart when he was still in service in Germany? It had to be. I couldn't help but let that, and the fact that Colonel Parker accused me of something, bother me. I frowned.

"Anita and Priscilla weren't like those other girls, Colonel," Elvis argued. "They were different, as is Megan."

"Megan, huh? That's her name? And you know her well enough now that you can defend her?"

"I think so. She's not one of those girls, I can tell."

My frown lifted slightly in a smile as I leaned against the wall just outside of the kitchen's entryway. Thanks, Elvis.

"Well, regardless, I don't like a young pretty thing like that in this house, here to distract you. She has trouble written all over that young face of hers."

That frown came back. I walked over to the entryway to the dining room and peeked my head out a little. I saw the two men on the sofa, with Elvis sitting there rubbing his forehead. My heart dropped. After all those smiles, he didn't look happy.

"Alright," he said and dropped his hand. "You have your opinions and I have mine. I get what you're sayin' but... I'm not gonna kick 'er out when I just let 'er in."

Colonel Parker let out a long sigh. "Okay, suit yourself, but don't say I didn't warn you. Now, onto the show tonight. You have to be in the studio at eight sharp. They requested that you wear your army suit and hat for that."

Elvis nodded. "Alright."

"It's going to be a simple thing, with you singing a few of your songs for the movie, just like what you've done for the Ed Sullivan Show back then. They requested 'G.I. Blues', 'Frankfurt Special', and 'What's She Really Like'."

Again, Elvis nodded, like a robot. "Alright."

"Now, tomorrow, I scheduled you for a record signing at seven, two hours before your press conference regarding your experiences in Germany these passed two months."

"Do I have anythin' goin' on after the press conference?"

"Not for two hours, but you will be using that time to prepare for your meeting with the Mayor of Memphis at noon. It's lunch after that, then at two, you be on the airfield, talking to the men there, motivating them to get their asses into the army. Then..."

He went on to blurt out more of what needed to happen the next day. Elvis's day would start before seven and end close to midnight. He barely had time to sleep! The life of a star, I suppose, especially one who was away for a while.

"You got all that, Elvis?" Colonel Parker asked as I watched the two. Elvis ran a hand down his face. My heart sank. Poor guy. He probably just wanted to take a day or two to rest before he jumped back into everything. But no, there he was, being hammered with a full schedule the day of his return.

"Yes, I did," Elvis said.

"Alright, then." He looked around. "Where is that maid of yours? I'm parched."

Elvis looked over to the dining room and I quickly hid myself. I knew he saw me. "I'll go get us somethin'," he said.

He got up and I ran into the kitchen. I heard him walk in behind me. "Megan."

"I can get somethin' for the two of you." I went to the brown wooden cupboards and pulled out two glasses. I scurried to the ice box, opened it, but didn't find anything I could give a star and his manager. "Nothin'. But there are lemons, so maybe I can quickly make some lemonade." I pulled the bowl of lemons out of the ice box and put them on the counter. "Okay, now where is the sugar?"

"Megan."

"Is it here?" I looked in a cupboard across from the ice box but found nothing but canned goods. The next cupboard wasn't promising, either. My eyes began to burn, and my throat constricted. Where were the baked goods?!

I suddenly felt a hand on my arm, and I jumped. "Megan, stop, it's alright." I turned my head and looked up at Elvis's face. His features saddened when he saw my state. "I can get us water. It's fine."

Appalled at myself that I let my emotions get the better of me, I nodded. I took in and let out a large, shaky breath.

"Golly, Megan... I'm very sorry that you heard what you did." He dropped his hand from my arm after I glanced down at it.

I knew he knew I was there in the dining room. That was why he looked right at me when the Colonel mentioned me. I shook my head. "It's okay."

"It's not. You didn't deserve the unkind and accusatory words he said 'bout ya. No woman, no person, even, deserves that."

My lips quirked up in a small smirk. He was concerned for me. "Thank you, but... I suppose there is some truth to his words, I mean... I listen to your music all the time, I keep up on the news 'bout ya, I made my own renditions to your songs, I... Yes, I'm a huge fan, and I would be lyin' if I said that I came here just to save up money for school."

I kept my gaze down at my white maid's shoes, since that was what I was - a maid, just like the Colonel said.

"Well, I'm very flattered and honored to have a talented young lady like yourself as my fan."

My gaze went up to his blue eyes, and hope glimmered in mine. "You're serious?"

He nodded once, a kind smile crossing his lips. "I am. Now, take whatever the Colonel says with a grain of salt. That's how I've been survivin' these past four years. He's a good man, but he's strict. It's good to have strict managers. You'll be more successful."

He was allowing a man who he only tolerated to push him around? "It doesn't seem all that fun. I saw the way you looked when you talked with him out there. Your expression told me you would rather do anythin' else." He looked down at the floor, his hands on his hips. "There's that expression again." Those burning tears came back. "Gosh, you're a human being, too, a human being who needs rest after a long trip. Maybe that man in there has forgotten that and just pushes you around like a robot, or even a dog, makin' you do whatever he wants." I realized what I said. "Oh my, I'm so sorry for sayin' that, I..."

I tear ran down my cheek, and I wanted to bolt from the room because I felt so rotten. I said something horrible about someone without really knowing them.

Something touched my face, and I alarmingly noticed that it was Elvis's own thumb. I met his blue eyes. "This is why you're different from the rest of 'em, Megan."

His low tone could have melted my bones, and those breathtaking eyes had the same affect. My tongue felt heavy, so words didn't form. That thumb brushed my cheek, right at the corner of my mouth. His gaze went to it.

"Elvis!"

We both jumped at that loud, booming voice and I stepped away from Elvis and left the room, passing the Colonel as he came in. I leaned against the wall just outside of the dining room and I faced the stairs, my heart beating faster than it ever had. Elvis - Elvis Presley - looked as if he was about to kiss me! And right after saying the most touching thing I had ever heard.

"Elvis, what are you doing?" came the Colonel's voice. I heard glasses clanking together.

"Mrs. Brighten has yet to do some shoppin', so we don't have much as far as beverages, other than the tap water."

"Psht, forget it." Silence for a moment. "That maid was in here, wasn't she?"

"She was. I was just clearin' up somethin' for her."

"Clearing what? I hope you were telling her she has no business here. You're surrounded by women every day outside, but in here, you should be free of them. Better yet, fire all the women and have men work for you. Older women get after you, too."

What, fire all the women?! How could he say such a thing?!

"They're all stayin' right here, Colonel."

Such firmness in his voice. The Colonel huffed, "Fine, I guess I can't get through to you. Now, I should get going. I'll be back at 7:30 for the show tonight."

"Alright."

"Get that broody look off your face, Elvis. You're about to make a bunch of people happy in the coming days. You always make people happy."

"Yes, and that's what keeps me goin', along with my love of music."

"Right, right, well... show a man out?"

They left the kitchen, and I scrambled up the stairs. Another tear fell from my eye as I leaned against the wall in the hallway, and I heard Elvis say goodbye to the Colonel. How could he put up with a manager like that? Just tolerate him like he insinuated that he did? That wasn't a way to live, especially with someone who basically ran your life.

Elvis needed a good manager. Sure, I only just met the man, but he made a horrible first impression. Fire all the women? How about fire him?

"It's none of my business," I muttered, fiddling with my apron. "I'm just the hired help. That was what Elvis would say." I recalled breakfast. "No, he wanted us all there, like we're his family. Maybe that's how he sees us."

I touched my cheek where he touched it with his thumb. How about me? The look he gave me, his gentle touch...

No. I didn't want to be the girl the Colonel thought I was. But a girl couldn't help it when a man was tender with her... a really gorgeous man who seemed like he was one thousand times better in character than my ex Brody... a man who defended me and didn't disagree when the Colonel said I was pretty.

"Don't think nothin' 'bout it," I said. "You're here to work."

And I should do that. Where did I put that feather duster?

~ ~ ~

(So, I know now, since I wrote this some time ago, that the Colonel never wanted to leave the country since he wasn't allowed to, so that bit about him being in Germany wouldn't have happened. This is a fanfiction, so we'll stick with what's there.)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.9K 28 16
Alternate story to Fairytale and Daddy's Girl An alternative universe where Elvis Presley is living a carefree life style with nothing holding him do...
3.7K 42 23
This story is called Elvis and Me (1960) (18+) (You can choose who can be Elvis in this story Elvis Presley, Austin Butler or Jacob Elordi it's up...
12.5K 375 16
Elvis and Priscilla's relationship is falling apart. Colonel Parker won't have it so he arranges a wife swap with country singer Loretta Lynn. Will P...
30.3K 1.1K 66
1956. A girl in the crowd is proposed to by her boyfriend in front of Elvis. It would be a lovely moment if it weren't for the three other girls he a...