Death's Gift

By PotatoModeActivated

After the war Harry distances himself from everyone, feeling empty. He spends a year in solitude, only writin... More

Chapter One - The Plan
Chapter Two - The End
Chapter Three - His New Beginning
Chapter Four - The Move
Chapter Five - The Grangers
Chapter Six - Hogwarts Letters
Chapter Seven - Slytherins
Chapter Eight - A Deal with the Enemy
Chapter Nine - Tied up Ends and Tea Dates
Chapter Ten - Christmas Holidays
Chapter Twelve - Back to Hogwarts
Chapter Thirteen - A Bad Feeling
Chapter Fouteen - Problems in Paris
Chapter Fifteen - Join Me
Chapter Sixteen - Again?!
Chapter Seventeen - Second Year
Chapter Eighteen - A Friendly Chat
Chapter Nineteen- The Attack
Chapter Twenty - The Next Step
Chapter Twenty-One - Getting into the Order
Chapter Twenty-Two - A Meeting
Chapter Twenty-Three - Some Good and Bad Company
Chapter Twenty-Four - An Unorderly Order
Chapter Twenty-Five - Dealing with the Dark
Chapter Twenty-Six - Family Reunion
Chapter Twenty-Seven - Distancing
Chapter Twenty-Eight - Reuniting
Chapter Twenty-Nine - Teacher Troubles
Chapter Thirty - Friends?
Chapter Thirty-One - A Needed Conversation
Chapter Thirty-Two - Tom's Expression and Hermione's Surprise
Chapter Thrity-Three - Realized Feelings
Chapter Thrity-Four - Christmas Break Crisis
Chapter Thirty-Five - The First Night
Explaination
Until the next chapter, Check out my Other Stories

Chapter Eleven - "Acquaintances"

15.3K 697 125
By PotatoModeActivated

Death's Gift - Chapter Eleven
"Acquaintances"

AN: I know it's not customary to open gifts in front of people in different parts of the world, but I have my reasons for putting that part in so please don't come at me in the comments for it

Thankfully, Remus and Molly called for lunch before Harry and Hermione could lash out, and they definitely would've even with their ability to keep in their emotions. After they ate everyone gathered around the Christmas tree for the gift exchange, Harry, Sirius, Remus, Neville, and Augusta all opening their gifts from each other now as well. They went in a circle, everyone opening a gift at a time. This was also the time that they opened gifts that were magically sent by friends, Harry reviving gifts from Draco, Blaise, Theo, Hannah, Susan, and even Anthony. Harry was glad that he'd gotten them all gifts in return, he'd feel bad if they'd gotten him something and he didn't. Hermione got ones from Blaise, Hannah, Susan, and Anthony, their little study group. Harry went first, opening his gift from Draco. He pulled out a brand new pair of dragon hide boots that appeared to be black but when the light hit them they were a deep green that almost glimmered in the light, he loved them. Hermione went, opening her's from Anthony, getting a group of three books on all different subjects that she'd talked to him about being interested in. Then Neville, opening his from Harry and getting an advanced Herbology book. Harry knew the boy would love the subject in the future and was hoping to spark his interest in it sooner. Ron and Ginny went, both opening their from Harry and getting an assortment of sweets from Honeydukes. Then Molly, Arthur, Bill, Charlie, Sirius, Remus, Jean, Dave, Augusta, Percy, and the twins, then back to Harry.

It went on like this for awhile. Harry received prank things from the twins, a book about parselmagic from Hermione which he surprisingly didn't already have, a whole new set of quidditch gear from Sirius and Remus, sweets from Ron, a green sweater with a silver 'H' on it from Molly, a book on Dragons from Charlie, a book about advanced curses and how to block/break them from Bill, a muggle storybook from Arthur, a new set of robes from Augusta, a book on spell creation from Neville, books on various subjects from Hannah, Susan, and Anthony, a wand holster from Theo (the boy had asked Harry why he didn't have one and Harry explained that he just hadn't found one that suited him enough.) that, like the boots, appeared to be black but was a glimmering green when it was hit by the light just right, and Harry was currently opening his last gift, the one from Blaise.

He had received a letter from his friend along with the gift, telling him which parts to open first as it had multiple different boxes. This perked Harry's interest and he opened to top box to reveal a rat chew toy. Needless to say this confused everyone, but Harry continued onto the next book, pulling out a bed-like mat that must've had a warming charm on it because Harry had to quickly set it down so his hands didn't get too hot. Harry then opened the last one, he noted that the sides of the box had holes in them. Once he took the lid off a head popped out, a scaly head. Gasps flew around the room and Harry marveled at the snake.

*Are you the speaker?* the snake asked.

*Yes* Harry replied.

*What is your name Speaker?*

*Harrison, although my friends call me Harry. What is yours?*

*Anemone.*

*That's a beautiful name.*

*Why thank you.*

"Harrison... did- did Blaise get you a pet snake?" Sirius asked, a bit pale.

Harry looked up from Anemone, at his adoptive father, "I wouldn't say she's a pet, more of a companion."

Harry could see Remus squeeze Sirius's hand and Harry remembered how Sirius had a fear of snakes. Anemone slithered out of the box and over to the heating bed-like pad. Laying down with a comfortable sigh.

"Don't worry Siri, I won't sick her onto anyone." Harry said with a slight smile, making it seem as if he totally would, making Ron shrink in his seat.

"But a snake as a pet?!" Sirius asked again.

"I could always give her to someone else if you're really not that comfortable with her." Harry offered, although he didn't want to.

Sirius shook his head, "No, you don't have to give her away. I'll manage." He told Harry with a smile.

Harry smiled back.

Molly waved her wand and the trash started to pick itself up and go into the trash can, "Well, that's it. None of us have any gifts left to open, correct?"

Everyone nodded, and filed out of the room, Harry taking this things upstairs to put away, Anemone following him. Hermione and the Grangers disappeared next door, saying they'd be right back, to put their own things away. The Weasleys left their things all piled in the living room, planing to take it back with them when they left. Harry put Anemone's bed in the corner of his room by the window so she'd have the light as well as the heat from the sun, setting his new books on his desk, he'd have to clear off some space on a shelf for them, he put his quidditch gear away and decided to get dressed. Pulling on some black trousers and a deep green button down shirt, as well as the dragon hide boots Draco got him, Harry made his way back downstairs. Fred and George were playing chess with Ron using the new set that Neville had gotten the youngest male Weasley for Christmas. Harry fell into a conversation with Charlie and Bill, catching up since the last time he'd seen them since it had almost been a whole year. Hermione had even managed to strike up a conversation with Percy about the different subjects she should study during school and all the different books they liked to read.

The rest of the day went by like a flash. They all hung out until dinner when they all ate in the backyard on a deck which Sirius and Remus had magically constructed while Harry was at school. Soon the Grangers said their goodbyes, heading back over to their house, as well as the Weasleys who floo'd back to the burrow. Augusta went to bed early, Harry and Neville staying up until about ten until they were told to go to bed by Sirius, where they stayed up talking and eating sweets. Neville was a little uncomfortable around Anemone at first but Harry had introduced her to Neville, telling her that he was his godbrother. The snake had immediately taken a liking to him as she had done with Harry. Harry had reassured Neville that she wouldn't hurt him and Neville relaxed, he even ran his hand along the top of her scales after a few hours. It was safe to say that Harry and Neville never went to sleep that night.

.         .         .         .         .         .         .

The next few days seemed kind of like a blur to Harry. He and Neville hung out with Hermione a lot, sometimes going over to a park by her old muggle school like they did today. The three of them would be going back to Hogwarts in a few days, Neville and Augusta were going home the next, and Harry and Hermione wanted to get Neville to climb up to the top of the rock wall. Ever since the incident during Broomstick 101 with Madam Hootch the boy had never done well with heights.

"Neville, I'll climb up behind you, I can catch you if you fall." Harry tried to reassure him.

Hermione wacked him in the back of his head, "Harry! Don't mention him falling it'll only scare him more."

"Geeze! Okay, but did you have to hit me so hard?!" Harry asked, rubbing the back of his head.

"Oh- I didn't mean to do it that hard-"

"Granger?!" A girl's voice rang out.

Hermione, Harry, and Neville turned around to see a group of two girls walking up to them.

"Natalie... how are you?" Hermione asked sweetly, but hesitantly.

"Where have you been? Let me guess, you flunked?" The girl who Harry now knew as Natalie teased her.

All kindness left Hermione's face, "How could I have flunked? I was the best in the class."

"Hermione who are they?" Harry asked. In all of his years of knowing Hermione she'd never mentioned anyone named Natalie, if fact, Hermione hadn't really mentioned anything of her life before Hogwarts except for her parents being dentists.

Hermione turned to Harry, "This is Natalie and Samantha, old... acquaintances from school."

The girl Hermione had introduced has Samantha laughed, "Acquaintance? Don't get your hopes up."

Harry narrowed his eyes at her, "They bullied you, didn't they?"

Hermione didn't answer. Now Harry understood why she was so happy to be friends with him and Ron in first year, why she was so upset when Ron had insulted her, she was bullied before, she didn't have any friends here.

"Oh look, you've got yourself a little boyfriend. Too bad he looks too weak to do anything." Natalie sneered.

Harry's magic went deadly, the air around them going cold. He slowly walked up to the girls and smirked, "Oh really? What makes you believe that I'm weak?" He asked, his voice completely level and calm.

He knew he couldn't use magic, but that didn't stop him from changing the way his magic came off to people.

Natalie and Samantha's eyes widened, Neville squeaked.

"Who do you think you are?!" Natalie spat.

Harry tilted his head, an eyebrow raised, "Who am I? I'm Harrison Potter-Black, heir to both ancient families."

Even in the muggle world the names Potter and Black were well known for their extreme wealth and influence. Samantha let out a choked noise while Natalie screwed her mouth shut, clenching her jaw.

"Harry... shove off, they're not worth it." Hermione told him.

Harry turned to Hermione, "They bullied you 'Mione. You know how I feel about bullies."

"But- you can't even-" Hermione shut up, knowing Harry already knew she was talking about his magic.

"Oh, I know. I can't do anything thanks to my age, but I know someone who'd be more then willing to defend you."

Hermione's eyes widened.

*Anemone?* Harry called out.

The three foot snake slithered over from where she was laying in the shade of a nearby tree.

*Yes Harry?* She replied.

Both girls have a screech and tried to run away but Harry's magic kept them in place.

"It's not very kind, trying to run away from my friend." Harry told them, he turned back to Anemone.

*These two girls have been bullying Hermione. I was wondering if you wanted to bite them?*

A gleam appeared in her eyes, *Really?*

*Of course, just let me make sure it's ok with Hermione first.*

The two girls stared in horror as Harry talked to the snake.

"Hey Hermione, Anemone is wondering if she can bite them."

Hermione gasped, "Bite them?! Harry that'll kill them!"

Harry shrugged.

Neville squeaked again and both of the girls became deadly still.

"No, she can't bite them." Hermione stated.

*Sorry Anemone, she doesn't want them dead, maybe next time.*

The snake deflated, but bared her fangs at the two girls before going back to her spot under the tree.

Harry reeled his magic in, "You're lucky that Hermione is such a nice person, if I had my way you'd both be in pain for the way that you treated her."

Harry turned away only to hear a shaky laugh from one of them, "Ha, I knew you couldn't do anything."

Harry turned around abruptly and glared at Natalie, culling her to the bone.

"Big mistake." Harry said before punching her in the face.

"Harry!" Hermione yelled.

Harry didn't do anything else, just the one punch. Samantha gasped as her friend fell to the floor, her nose obviously broken.

"You did the same, if not worse to Draco in their year." He reminded Hermione.

She shook her head and looked over at Samantha and Natalie, "By the way Natalie, I didn't flunk. I was accepted to a grand school for gifted kids. Good luck moving out of your parents house before you're thirty." She finished off in a call as the girls retreated.

Harry chuckled at Hermione's words, she turned to him with a smile on her face, "Thank you Harry."

Harry smiled back, "Anytime Hermione."

"What just happened?" Neville said weakly from behind them.

Harry and Hermione turned around to see Neville laying on the floor.

"Did you faint?!" Harry asked, surprised and concerned.

"I-I think so..."

Harry and Hermione shook their heads.

"Don't worry about it Neville." Hermione told him, "Now, let's climb this wall before we have to get home since the police will probably be here soon thanks to Harry."

Harry rolled his eyes, "It was self defense."

"No it wasn't."

"They don't have to know that."

Hermione rolled her own eyes and they started trying to encourage Neville to climb again.

.         .         .         .         .         .         .

Harry came to a slight trouble while packing his trunk, he couldn't take Anemone with him, it was against the rules to have a snake. Harry clipped his trunk closed at turned to the snake that was dozing in her bed. Harry and Anemone had grown close during the week that he'd had her. Anemone had taken an immediate liking to him and any friend of his was a friend of her's. In a way, the snake had become a companion just like Hedwig had. Harry looked over at his owl's empty cadge, he'd just let her out to go hunting. Sighing, Harry made his way downstairs for dinner, he'd be going back to Hogwarts in the morning.

"You all packed?" Sirius asked as Harry came down the stairs.

Harry nodded mutely, taking a seat at the counter.

Sirius and Remus exchanged a look before Sirius sat down next to Harry.

"What's up?" He asked.

Harry sighed, "I can't take Anemone with me. She'll have to be here with you guys."

"And why can't you take her?"

"Students are only allowed to have Owls, toads, or cats. Having a snake is against the rules." Harry drawled.

Sirius laughed, "And how many school rules have you already broken? Who cares if you break another?"

Harry stared at Sirius, Remus sighed, "Sirius, you shouldn't be encouraging Harry to break the rules."

"He's a murader, since when do we ever let rules stop us?" Sirius protested.

Remus smiled slightly.

"So I can take her?" Harry asked.

"Of course, just don't get caught with her out. I don't want Dumbledore coming after me for letting you take your snake to school."

Harry laughed and shook his head, "I wouldn't be a Slytherin if I was that easily caught now would I?"

Sirius smiled.

"You can pack up her things in the morning before we leave, but for now you need to eat before your food gets cold." Remus told him.

Harry smiled and started eating.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.5K 123 34
Hermione and her friends are invited back to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry for one more year following the Battle of Hogwarts. Of course...
381K 15.5K 59
When enemies turn to friends and there's still something more, where do you draw the line? Harry and Draco are both back for their eighth year at Hog...
111K 3.2K 19
It is after the war and Draco finds himself in a tough place, you see he just found out he was a veela. Although some can tell with his light blonde...
3.6K 164 21
"Wishing on dandelions all of the time" After the war, Harry is alone and headed back to finish his last year of school at Hogwarts while feeling not...