Norse Magick

By spiritsandspoeker

π•Ήπ–”π–—π–˜π–Š π•Έπ–†π–Œπ–Žπ–ˆπ– "In the eddas and sagas, there are several different types of magick described that v... More

Introduction
Introduction to Runes
Introduction to Rune Magick

Branches and Sects of Heathenry

36 0 0
By spiritsandspoeker

Often when someone is new to heathenry, they assume that the faith, gods, and spirits are all from Scandinavia (or in other words, are Norse).  The amount of branches and sects are so numerous that even an experienced heathen may be unfamiliar with many of the paths in this post.  This post is meant to help anyone new to heathenry understand the different options and paths within the faith, as well as help them steer clear of branches that are problematic.

Heathen Branches
General Heathenry
General heathenry is a term that applies to all heathens.  Essentially, a general heathen follows the heathen faith, works with heathen gods and spirits, and holds heathen values.  All other branches can fall under general heathenry, so this term acts more as an umbrella term rather than an actual branch.  However, those who may incorporate philosophies, beliefs, and values from multiple branches would also fall more under general heathenry rather than any specific path.

Germanic Heathenry
Germanic heathenry acts as an umbrella term for the paganism of continental/Germanic Europe (which is not necessarily just Germany).  While Germanic heathenry is very similar to Norse heathenry, it is less influenced by neighboring cultures in Nordic countries. 

Norse Heathenry
Norse heathenry is an umbrella term for the paganism practiced in Nordic countries, including Norway, Sweden, Denmark, and Iceland.  As mentioned briefly earlier, Norse heathenry tends to be slightly more influenced by the neighboring cultures (such as the Sámi and possibly even Finnish).

Anglo-Saxon Heathenry
Anglo-Saxon heathenry is the term for the branch of paganism practiced in Britain, as a result of Viking influence on Britain during raids and settlement.  

Frisian Heathenry
[c]Frisian Heathenry is a form of Continental Germanic Heathenry that focuses on the cultures and beliefs of the Frisian people (Angles and Saxons who lived along the coast of the North Sea). 

Frankish Heathenry
Frankish Heathenry is a form of Continental Germanic Heathenry that focuses on the culture and beliefs of the Franks.  The Franks lived along the Rhine, and groups include Belgians, Burgundians, and Franks.  Their branch of heathenry is heavily influenced by Roman and Celtic beliefs.

Alemannic Heathenry
Alemannic Heathenry focuses on the culture and beliefs of the Alemanni, who are a group of people who lived north of the Alps.

Alps
Alps heathenry, as the name implies, focuses on the culture and beliefs of heathens in the Alps.

Asatru
Asatru (meaning “true to the Aesir”) focuses on the veneration of the Aesir (including Odin, Tyr, Frigg, Thor, etc.) in particular, and they value civilization and order (concepts associated with the Aesir).  They do also venerate the Vanir, but do not have as exclusive of a focus on the Vanir as Vanatru does.

Vanatru
Vanatru (meaning “true to the Vanir”) focuses on the veneration of the Vanir (including Freyja, Njord, Freyr, etc.) in particular, and they value nature, fertility, and sexuality (concepts more associated with the Vanir).

Forn Sed
Forn Sed (spelling varying from country to country) is the name for modern day groups of heathens in Scandinavia, and means “old customs”.  These groups tend to be reconstructionist, and value cultural customs as the evolution from ancient heathenry.

Firne Sitte
Forn Sed (spelling varying from country to country) is the name for modern day groups of heathens in Germany, and means “old customs”.  These groups tend to be reconstructionist, and value cultural customs as the evolution from ancient heathenry.

Aldsido
Aldsido is another name for Frankish heathenry, focusing on reconstruction of the old Frankish heathen customs.

Alþeis Sidus
Alþeis Sidus (meaning “old customs”) seeks to reconstruct heathenry in Iberia, which has had heavy influence from various Germanic tribes.

Fyrnsidu
Fyrnsidu (meaning “old customs”) seeks to reconstruct the heathen beliefs and practices of the Anglo-Saxons.

Irminism
Irminism focused on the veneration of the deity Irmin, who is “strong, might, all-encompassing”.  Most information on Irminism comes from the writings of Karl Maria Wiligut.

Urglaawe
This branch of heathenry is Dutch folk traditions combined with Germanic paganism, focusing on the reconstruction of both practices.  Many practices originate from Southwestern Germany.

Theodism
Theodism is a form of neo-paganism in North America that seeks to reconstruct practices and beliefs from several heathen branches across Europe (although initially focused on exclusively Anglo-Saxon paganism).

Non-Heathen Branches
These are branches that are not well accepted within the general heathen community, for one reason or another, or by definition are not considered heathen.

Rökkatru
Rökkatru focuses on the worship of deities that are considered giants (and are neither Aesir or Vanir), such as Hel, Fenrir, Loki, etc.  As many deities honored within Rökkatru were not historically worshipped and/or represent chaotic concepts, it is not well accepted within the general heathen community.

Dísitru
Dísitru, as the name implies, focuses on the veneration of the dísir spirits (which includes valkyries, female ancestral spirits, some goddesses, landvaettir, etc.).

Thursatru
Thursatru is known often as a blend of Satanism and Heathenry, and it was started by a member of the band Arckanum.  It focuses on veneration of the giants and elemental beings in Norse cosmology.  Additionally, it focuses on chaos and is a left-hand path.

Norse/Saxon Wicca
Norse/Saxon Wicca is essentially Wicca with an influence from heathenry.  It is most common that Norse/Saxon Wiccans use heathen deities to represent Wiccan concepts.  As it is Wiccan, it is not considered a heathen group.

Waincraft
Waincraft branched off of the Vanatru movement, and they believe that the Vanir tribe is an earlier tribe than the Aesir that are indigenous to Europe before being oppressed by the Aesir.

Northern Tradition Paganism/Shamanism
Northern Tradition Paganism is a branch created by Raven Kaldera.  While he claims to not be a reconstructionist or heathen, it is clear that his branch is heavily influenced by heathenry.  Personally, I advise against this branch, as there is a ton of cultural appropriation, relies almost entirely on UPG, and has caused abuse.

Lokean
Lokeans venerate almost exclusively the deity Loki (differing from Rökkatru), as well as the members of his family (such as Sigyn, Fenrir, Hel, etc.).  Odin is occasionally venerated by Lokeans as well, considering their brotherhood.  However, Lokeans are not a heathen group, as many do not follow other key beliefs and customs in heathenry.

Odinism
Odinism, as the name implies, focuses on Odin at the beginning of the practices.  Ancestral work and ceremonial magick are also large parts of this branch.  However, it’s important to note that many modern Odinism groups are overrun with white supremacists and neo-nazis.

Heathen Eclecticism
Heathen Eclecticism, while not a group, refers to those who pull from multiple paths with a heavy influence from Heathenry.  Again, this is not a heathen branch, as most customs and beliefs of heathenry are not followed.

Sects
Within each branch of heathenry, there are sects as well (with folkism, universalism, and tribalism being the most well known).  Some branches are more heavily one sect than other, and it’s important to research what sect different organizations subscribe to.

Folkism
Folkism believes that only descendants of Europeans, in particular Germanic and Norse people, are able to practice heathenry (the exception by few being adoption into a culture).  This sect contains many white supremacists who romanticize an all-white society (failing to recognize how vikings spread beliefs to non-European countries and cultures around the world).  Naturally, ancestral veneration is common in Folkish groups.  Folkism also tends to focus heavily on reconstruction and tradition, avoiding UPG as much as possible.

Universalism
Universalism believes that all people, regardless of origin, can practice heathenry.  Universalists do not tend to adhere as strictly to traditions, allowing more space for UPG.

Tribalism
Tribalism is a blend between Folkism and Universalism, not caring who can practice heathenry (although some may be confused why those without heritage would want to practice) while finding a balance between modern practices and tradition.

Traditionalism
Traditionalism is similar to Folkism in believing that ethnic ties are important, but are less likely to use a group to project such opinions or promote radical/fascist ideology.  They often live in seclusion, and try to imitate the lifestyle of the ancient heathens as much as possible.

Sources
https://aminoapps.com/c/pagans-witches/page/blog/heathenry-branches/moP7_DZ8HkueQLRXzzpKZvwmEYvq17E0Ba6
https://grumpylokeanelder.tumblr.com/post/66701946810/other-heathenry-resources
https://www.thelongship.net/the-basics/what-is-heathenry/
https://deacademic.com/dic.nsf/dewiki/443633
https://pagan.wikia.org/wiki/Theodism
https://altheissidus.wordpress.com/
https://seolforcwyllaheorth.wordpress.com/what-is-fyrnsidu/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irminism
http://aminoapps.com/p/pvb4ii
https://pin.it/4M7JCip

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

381K 25.5K 65
"You're the never ending blue sky in my world." "Well then you're the green land completing me." Life was crude, a path of potholes and smooth road...
454K 18.6K 36
Aimen Khan a bubbly girl with an ambition of living the life to the fullest. she loves her family to the core. But what happens when an incident cha...
1.9M 93.5K 35
Ranking #12. (15 july 2018) A story of two strangers. How they met and how their first meeting ended on marriage? Shahyan Hasham malik was a son of b...
111K 11.6K 32
Story of a surgeon Dr. Zulaid Afandi and a medical student Dr. Inara Ibrahim. Age gap Enemies to lovers GrumpyΓ—sunshine Arranged marriage "What did...