Within The Bonds

By nightlighe01

She is innocent They are manipulative She plays it safe They thrive in danger She likes her normal life ... More

Introduction
1: Brothers?
2: Mysterious Driver
3: Everyone's Home
4: Just Jet Lagged
5: Rules are for fools
6: Who Hurt You?
7: Panic Attack
8: Allergies
9: No Doctors
10: More Brothers?
11: One Long Day
12: Dinner Drama
13: Comfort
14: Shopping?
15: Bull's Eye
16: Flashback
17: First Day
18: Tryouts
19: Murdered
20: Security Team
21: Big Trouble
22: Who's Seb?
23: Haunting Past
24: Silence
25: Truth
26: Psych Psychologist
27: Permission
28: Tizan
29: Prank Time!
30: Jason
31: An Anagram?
32: Getting Down To Buisness
33: Memory Box
34: Fallon
35: Definition Of Annoyance
36: Monkey In The Middle
37: Dad!?
38: Dilemma
39: Cold Sweat
40: Rule Number Three
41: Closure
42: Floating Restaurant
43: Dreaming Of Mum
44: Toy War
45: Naming Ducks
46: Negotiations
47: The Family Rule
48: Face The Consequences
49: Their Office
50: Troubled Thoughts
51: Shell-Shocked
52: Straight Answers
53: Bugged
55: Hell Week
56: I'm Screwed
57: I Need To Get Help
58: Lisa Polisa
59: Clue 1
60: Uprooting Storm
61: Dream Or Reality?
62: A New View
63: Fourteen-Years-Ago
64: Couple Of Weeks Away
65: Improvise
66: UNO
67: Special Agent Louis
68: Crushy Crushy Crush
69: Details
70: Lemon Tart
71: Don't You Dare Finish That Sentence
72: You're Bossy
73: Cranberry Fruit Punch
74: We're Dead Meat
75: Not Your Damn Daughter
76: Candy Stripers
77: Connecting The Dots
78: I Need Air
79: Power
80: I Like You
81: The Todorov's & Volkov's
82: We've Got Company
83: Up The Tree
84: Rescue
85: Fallen In Place
Bonus Chapter 1
Bonus Chapter 2
Epilogue
The Sequel

54: Achy Muscles

16.8K 579 82
By nightlighe01

After spending hours in the gym with Liam constantly acquainting me to the ground, I'm finally rewarded with pizza and ice-cream by him for dinner. This frankly takes me by surprise considering this is Liam we're talking about, but he is prompt to remind me not to make this a habit.

While the rest settle in the living room relaxing after a strenuous day, I excuse myself and head back to my room to nurse my aching muscles. Treating myself to a nice hot shower, I flop down on the bed with absolutely no energy left in me whatsoever.

The thoughts that I have successfully crammed in the back of my mind, manage to wiggle their way back into the forefront. With no vigor left in me to oppose them, I let my mind wander freely.

Going back to yesterday morning, I walk my way through the events of the day. Wincing at certain memories, I try to assemble every small detail I can find in my mind.

'If the bug was planted on me during practice, that means that one of my team members has to be involved!'

I try eliminating this thought from my mind, but my suspicious mind doesn't let me. Doubting my teammates is the last thing I want to do and yet I don't see any other alternative.

As I progress further in my thoughts, my mind goes to the pregnant lady I helped while at Xavier's office. She was the only stranger I met, during the past forty-eight hours!

'But why would a pregnant woman bug me?'

She did seem alarmed when Logan approached us. At that point of time, I thought it was because of my name, but what if it was because Logan had approached us?

Come to think of it, the way that person bumped into her and took off so abruptly does seem rather strange. But then again what motive could she have for doing that?

Well aware that I have to jot all these details down if I want to remember them tomorrow, I get off the bed only to fall back down seconds later due to the lack of vitality.

Groaning in pain my sensitive muscles offer, I mentally curse Liam for putting me in this situation. Not only down he eats like a cow, he freaking weighs like one too!

After the first ten times, I lost count of the numerous times he pinned me to the ground and made me get up seconds later to try again only to find myself in the same state minutes later. He did that until I successfully managed to eliminate every flaw he could point out in my defense and offense.

For a person like me who used to enjoy working out and learning new techniques, I'm dreading those two dreadful days of every week that I will be spending in training with Liam.

Although excellent at his job, Liam is an extremely strict teacher and I for one don't do well with strict teachers. So naturally, those selected two days are going to be hell for either of us and a nagging voice in the back of my head is assuring me that it's me that is going to have to walk through hell.

With absolutely no life left in me, I stretch my hand out painfully and retrieve my phone that sat a few inches away from me. Going to the 'Notes' app, I type out as much as I can remember of that day.

Letting my phone slip through my hands once I'm done, I watch with tired eyes as it lightly bounces on my mattress before I sink deep into the tranquil darkness.

____________________________

The sound of my alarm is enough to pull me out of my peaceful solitude and dump me back into my miserable reality. With my muscles still screaming in soreness, I push myself out of bed and into the shower.

Getting ready, I mentally prepare myself for the unfathomed duration of this day. Not only did I have over an hour-long practice with people who are potential suspects, but after practice, I also have three classes and two extra classes.

Glancing at my desk a tired sigh leaves my lips as I observe my unfinished assignments lying on my desk. The submission dates are approaching yet I have barely started with any of them.

Thinking of submission dates, realization strikes me that following the submissions is our finals! This only increases my tension, especially because my concentration level in class for the past few weeks has been close to zero.

Pushing all these thoughts to the very back of my mind temporarily, I grab my bag and rush downstairs. Grabbing my bottle and breakfast, I make my way towards the front door with hurried strides.

"Astoria," Noah says earning my attention and stopping in my track.

"Yes?" I say turning to face him.

"About the bug, we found in your room yesterday-"

"What about it?" I ask before he can finish his sentence earning a stern look from him.

"Until and unless we figure out who planted it on you and with what motive, I need you to be extra cautious of your surroundings. I know that you trust your team, but I need you to keep your guard up at all times," he explains in a serious tone.

"I know and I will," I say in reassurance offering him a small smile. Content with my answer he gives me a firm nod and leaves.

Meeting Carlos and Javier by the car, smile in acknowledgment to their nods. Opening the door for me Carlos gets into the driver's seat while Javier claims shotgun.

The drive to practices is short as usual, but for the first time, I wish it wasn't. Since my hand has almost completely healed now, today hopefully I will be able to play.

Making my way towards the entrance, I notice both of them hot of my trail earning an annoyed groan from me. "Not you two too!" I whine in hopes that I'm able to convince them to stay behind.

"Orders are the same for all of us Miss Santos," Javier reasons in a monotone.

"But can't you both keep an eye on me from like...you know, a distance," I counter with crossed arms.

"Sorry Miss, orders are orders," Carlos adds not giving my request a second thought.

"Whatever," I mumble under my breath and march into the building.

Shoving my bag into my locker, a grumpy sigh leaves my lips. "What's wrong?" Lindsey inquires emerging from one of the changing rooms.

"My annoying guards insist on following me everywhere, that's what's up!" I complain.

"Anyway, how was the game yesterday? Sorry, I couldn't call, got caught up in something," I say changing the topic.

"The game was great! Trashed the Falcon's with a whopping 16 to 10!" He exclaims proudly causing a smile to curve my lips too.

"We did miss you though, but the team understands. Coach said that your brothers said that you weren't feeling well, you okay now?" She adds with concerned eyes.

"Yeah, just ate something bad I guess," I mutter.

"Come on everyone's waiting, I'm leading practice today," she informs me while dragging me out of the changing room with her.

"Wait, where's Coach?" I ask confused at her announcement.

"At the school, there's some faculty meeting," she says and I nod in understanding.

"By the way, don't tell anyone else, but mom is thinking about changing schools next year," she tells me in a hushed tone immediately earning my undivided attention.

"But why?" I ask with frowned brows knowing that our current school is known as the best in the state.

"Well, she says that she doesn't support online education, but I think she secretly wants to get rid of me," she admits with a chuckle earning an eye roll from me.

"If she does, I wouldn't blame her, you're a slob. And not to mention extremely annoying when you're bored, which is like every other minute," I tease only to receive a playful glare from her.

"Well, I wouldn't be if my best friend agreed to go galavanting with me," she defends which I respond by sticking my tongue out at her.

"I'm grounded remember?" I remind her while swatting the back of her head.

"Yeah, and there's this thing call 'sneaking out', you should try it sometimes," she says reaching her hand back to return the favor, only I have better reflexes and manage to dodge her slap.

"Bitch," she mumbles.

"Asshole," I respond after which we both burst out into uncontrollable giggles.

Approaching the team, Lindsey suddenly transforms from fun Lindsey to captain Lindsey. "Okay people ten laps, let's go!" She yells grabbing everyone's immediate attention as we follow her and begin jogging.

Once we are done stretching, we wait for Lindsey to announce our next task. "How about we start with some three-men drill and then move to layups?" She suggests to which the entire team immediately agrees.

Dividing ourselves into pairs of three, I land up with Savanah and Kate. Taking the first round, we complete it flawlessly and pass the ball to the next pair.

Once everyone gets through their first round, we realize that we are commendably good at this drill and settle on moving on to our layups.

Being captain Lindsey naturally starts. We watch her steps and our eyes follow the ball circles the hoop before landing inside where Ella stands ready for collection.

Even though my muscles are extremely sore, I try to give my best just like the rest of the team. After about an hour of various drills with occasional water breaks that don't last longer than a minute, we finally stop for a fifteen-minute interval.

Taking small sips of my water as I walk off the adrenaline rush, all of our attention is grabbed by the door which is pushed open. In walk the boys' basketball team, confidence rolling off their every stride.

My eyes immediately land on Parker who is already looking at me with an arrogant smirk. Rolling my eyes at him, I turn to return my bottle to its place only to notice the majority of our team looking at the guys like lost puppies.

"Snap out of it will y'all?!" I whisper-yell at them, harshness evident in my tone.

"Whatever," they mumble and get back to their respective tasks.

"Time to clear up girls, we are taking over for the rest of the morning!" Parker announces causing Lindsey to snap her head towards him with narrowed eyes and anger flaring up in her eyes like actual flames.

"And who do you think you are, to make that decision?" She challenges, while I take a seat throwing my right leg over my left with a smirk etched to my lips.

"This should be fun," Ella says and the rest agree, mirroring my posture.

"Your senior," he replies hubristically.

"Since when?" Lindsey scoffs, now standing right in front of him with his team backing him up from behind.

The disadvantage her high difference put her in she compensated by her impassive demeanor that is undoubtingly intimidating. Never before have I seen Lindsey look so scary, but when Parker is at the receiving end, I don't mind watching this every day.

"Mind telling me for how long have you been Captain?" He inquires causing all of my team and me to frown.

"What does that have to do with anything?" Kate mumbles behind me and we all shrug in confusion.

"Where are you going with this Truscott?" Lindsey asks in a bored tone.

"Seniority, Linds, seniority. And right now, I have seniority. So, if I say we get the court for the rest of the morning we do," he explains.

I notice as each member of his team smirks at this and by Lindsey's posture I can tell that she's feeling cornered, what I don't know is why. But when I hear the rest of my team groan in defeat my curiosity increases to unfathomable heights.

"Since when does seniority have to do anything with team practice timings?" I ask turning to face the rest of my team.

"Since always. It's like an unwritten rule of the school. When the coach of any team is unavailable or the team captains are to be leading practices, the captain with more seniority gets first claims of practice timings," Savanah explains with a sigh.

"Which idiot came up with that stupid rule?" I ask with a scoff.

"Don't look at me," she says raising her arms up in defense.

"You became captain two months before I did," Lindsey points out.

"Doesn't change anything," he retorts smugly earning an eye roll from me.

"You know what Parker? Do hell with the seniority rule. If you want the court, grow a pair and win it fair and square," I announce getting off my seat and joining Lindsey, staring Parker dead in the eye with a challenging gaze.

My statement earns a few 'whoops'' from his teammates. "Dude you just got burned!" A guy with chestnut hair points out with his hand covering his mouth.

Anger imbues Parker's amber orbits as he sends me a death glare which I return with a sarcastic smile. "You need your sidekicks to talk on your behalf now, Linds? I thought you were better than that, guess not," he provokes.

"Wait was that a comeback? Because to me, it sounded more of a whiny complain, or maybe it's just me," Lindsey replies, and our entire team bursts out into giggles.

"What got no other comeback? Don't worry, go sit and think of one, and when you do, come find us," I add.

"Good one," Lindsey whispers high-fiving me.

"Look here Truscott, you want the court, it's yours after-" Lindsey stops mid-sentence to glance at the clock mounted on the wall behind us. "Ten minutes, before that keep your filth paws out of our way," she asserts dominantly.

"Ten minutes?" One blond guy from their group says.

"We conclude practice in ten minutes," I inform, trying my best to maintain an impassive façade, suppressing a smirk.

"You could have told us that like twenty minutes ago, instead of causing this entire drama!" Damon—Parker's best friend—contends appearing piqued.

"Well, you should have asked nicely, and maybe we would have," Lindsey adds nonchalantly.

Using the court until the very last second of our ten minutes—just to spite them—we head back to the locker room once our time is up and freshen up whiles the sound of our giggles still resonates through the stadium.

I'm quick to finish my shower, but instead of heading home directly, I decide to wait for Lindsey to finish.

The stagnant atmosphere of the locker room only aids in intensifying my suffocation and so, I opt to head out through the backdoor, sending Lindsey a quick text to meet me there once she's done showering.

Breathing in the fresh air, I lean against the wall with my eyes closed as the light breeze flows through my damp hair. It feels good to finally be able to breathe knowing that there isn't a bodyguard watching you from a distance.

'I should come out here more often' The area behind the stadium is own by a public school, but remains very deserted making it the ideal place to escape from any wandering gazes.

Fetching my phone from the back pocket of my shorts, I leisurely scroll through my Instagram and other social media with no apparent purpose.

Double tapping on a few images, I go to my message replying to the few texts my old teammates that I still kept contact with had sent while reacting to a couple of their stories.

My attention is abruptly pulled away from my phone by a desperate yell. Curiosity and worry settle a hazy cloud over the logical part of my brain encourage me to find the source of the sound.

Looking past the worn-out wall obstructing my view—while also concealing my presence from the other side—I witness a scene I thought I never would again. It feels like my memories from the start of my freshman year back at my old school are replaying in slow motion before my eye.

'Looks like it's time to try out some of my new moves'

Author's Note:

So, a quick notice I won't be updating tomorrow hence the long update. 

Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoyed yourself because truly speaking  I was pretty pissed off when I was in the process of writing. But since I had made a promise that I wasn't ready to break--to update today--I got it done either way. 

I know I promised some action in the coming chapters and I had everything ready and planned out, but with everything that happened today, I wasn't in the right headspace to go ahead with it.  

Although it may seem the same, action scenes take a lot more effort than writing any other scene and I really didn't want to spoil it for either you or me by writing today, so I'm really sorry once again. 

And I also want to apologize to those who feel that I'm using the author's note section in my book to rant, because in all honesty, sometimes I do. 

And on another quick note, I in no way encourage double-standers between siblings. But I also cannot ignore the fact that it does exist in many families and what I write is not just out of my imagination, but my personal experiences--I might be a little overdramatic in my writing though 😅 

For those of you who don't know, I have two older brothers, and where not everyone experiences these things, the ones who do know what I'm talking about. 

I don't believe in fairy tales so don't expect to see much of it in my work. Thank you!

For those of you who completely ignored the top paragraphs, it's totally fine I do that sometimes too 😂 but before you leave...

If you liked this chapter be sure to let me know in the comments and by your precious vote!

And while I have your attention, do check out my other book 'Two Alphas One Luna' if you get the time!

~Kia  

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

22.6K 370 36
Kiara is an eighteen years old girl who lived on her own since she was sixteen Then, out of nowhere, she found herself in the care of her brothers t...
104K 4.5K 28
23 year old Emma Johnson had a pretty normal life until one night, men broke into her family home killing her mom and grandfather while trying to get...
878K 23.5K 77
She lives her life to the fullest as she is love by everyone in her home, where everyone supports and cheers for her. Some things also somewhat make...
5.7M 182K 104
𝐒𝐡𝐞 𝐢𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐝𝐞𝐯𝐢𝐥, 𝐬𝐡𝐞 𝐢𝐬 𝐬𝐢𝐧. Valentina Rossi was taken away from her father and brothers to keep her safe by her mother, but he...