To String Together ( Huaze Le...

By Sammyiams

Faye Calinao is a 20 year old musician who is well known for being one of the top cellist at Juilliard. Faye... More

Authors Note
Welcome Home
Good Morning
School Arrival
Lei's Words
Lunch Decision
Story
Panic
Making Plans
Breakfast
Milk Tea
Meizuo
Feng Residence Pt. 1
Feng Residence Pt. 2
Rough Morning
Solve the Problem
Difference Between Like and Love
Kiss & Tell
Thoughts
Memory
Truth Pt 1
Truth Pt 2
My Handsome Bestfriends
Her
Honest
Attention
Coping
Worry
Approval
History
Morning Rehersal
Soirèe
Surprise!
Beautiful Memories
Moody
Ximen
I Love You
Not Ready
Celebration
Farewell
Astro Members (part 1)
Astro Members (Part 2)
Uncertain
Reassurance
Happy Birthday Faye!
Finding Faye
Sequel

Lost

2K 62 20
By Sammyiams

Faye Calinao

"The first part was 13.09 cm cubed and the second part I came to a conclusion of 4.36m," I answered to my group. Today was a packet day to work on problems to help practice the concepts. I joined a group with two males when I first joined. It was by the professor's choice.

"That can't be right," the junior named Zhen commented as he looked down to his answer in the packet. The three of us had divided the word problems evenly and we're going through the answers together. We were currently doing my section and gave them a few minutes to look at the problem before giving them my answer.

In this entire class, I was the only person here who was not directly  with the science or mathematical department. When I first arrived here, everyone would look at me strangely when they saw me carrying my cello some days walking into a high level honors physics course. Everyone in this department seemed to be that way.

The science and mathematics building here is a completely different atmosphere from the music or even the business building here. Once entering through the doors, I felt a refreshing and cooling feeling when I was here. The students here were always dressed in this formal attire and most times you see many in their lab coats. The thought of being able to take a science course again was a great feeling.

"Faye is right," Gu Wei Yi commented. I looked towards him to see he was taking a look at my calculations. His dark black hair flopped almost over his brown eyes. From his expression, I could tell he was bored.

Hearing from the other students he was the genius of the sciences department. He is a senior honors physics major who is brilliant in the field. When I first arrived for the lab on my first day, it was the professor who asked Gu Wei Yi to be my lab partner even though he does independent research. Surprisingly he agreed to be my partner. Hearing him say I did my calculations right reassured me I had a good understanding of the material.

Gu Wei Yi started looking through the other questions that I did and nodded slightly as he examined the calculations. Both Zhen and I waited quietly waiting for him to make another response. I felt guilty for making Zhen look bad in front of the top student in the physics department. After flipping through the pages and going through all of them, he looked up at me. A part of him was surprised and serious.

"All of your answers are correct," Gu Wei Yi commented. "Your handwriting is neat and the calculations were organized and nicely done."

"Thank you."

"How are you not a science major?" He questioned. "You seem to have a natural understanding of physics at the honors level. For most of these problems, they take quite some time to do, you solved them in half the time most would complete them."

"Uh..." I felt my cheeks warming. "I'm actually doing a dual degree in music performance and physics," I answered sheepishly.

"No way!" Zhen exclaimed in excitement. Heads turned our way and I folded my arms feeling myself shrink slightly in my seat. He apologizes to the class and the professor before they go back to work. He looked towards me. "There's no way. Juilliard doesn't have science programs."

"I have an agreement with both Juilliard and the university of Wagner. I took all of my required physics courses and independent research at Wagner." Zhen seemed fascinated.

"You should take the sit in exam to get into Professor Jiang's research," Gu Wei Yi spoke.

"I'm not sure."

"There's two spots for undergraduate students. I think if we both score in the top two we'll work really well together. Seeing you since you've arrived, you've performed well in our labs. You should give the research opportunity a try." The bell for the school sounded and we began packing up.

As interesting as that sounded, I knew this research opportunity would take quite a bit of my time. Lei knew little of my dual degree. I am interested in doing more research and I do think it would preoccupy my time in a positive way, because I really enjoyed taking part in it. I smiled to myself and looked up to see most of my classmates have already left. I noticed Gu Wei Yi standing and was looking down at me like he was waiting for a response.

"Sorry," I apologized and took my bag before standing. "What were you saying?"

"Are you hungry? We can get something to eat."

"Oh," I spoke lightly. "I... uh was going to have lunch with Lei today."

"Your boyfriend? I've heard a lot about you two since the beginning of last week. That's alright." I nodded to all his questions and thanked him for his invite.

"We can have lunch together tomorrow? You can meet Lei. You can tell him about the research we're trying to get into." Gu Wei Yi turned slightly and half smiled.

"So you've decided to take the exam?"

"I can't pass up the big opportunity. Especially since this one is a graduate level study."

"Sure, tomorrow sounds like a good idea. I'll see you in the lab later?" I nod as we made it to the outside of the building. We began making our way towards the cafeteria. The business building was in the same direction. Lei wanted to meet in the bridegroom. He wanted to meet there before heading out to get something to eat.

"Would I ever skip the lab?" I questioned jokingly. He looked over and let out a chuckle.

"Now that I know you're a physics major, I wouldn't dare think you would." He played along with our conversation keeping it light and joyful.

"I may have to skip now that you've brought it up."

"If that's the case I'm not showing. After all I don't have to be there if you're not."

"Thank you by the way," I looked towards him. "For agreeing to take time out of your independent research to be my lab partner and run the experiments with me."

"You're really an interesting person Faye. When the Professor told me about you, I was genuinely interested how you were joining our honors class. I was told you were a student studying abroad from Julliard. I was curious for quite some time why a music student would want to do physics."

"You were surprised I volunteered to run the experiment for the lab?" He hummed and I smiled towards him. I looked away to focus where I am walking. I noticed people looking in our direction and my brain immediately felt alarmed and suddenly self conscious. It brought me back to when I was looking at the school's discussion the first time I saw the post.

My smile slowly faded and I folded my arms slightly. Upon approaching the main area of the cafeteria and the business building I noticed a not so happy Meizuo heading my direction. I came to a slow halt and Gu Wei Yi did the same, turning to me confusingly. My eyes were trained on Meizuo wondering why he had that expression.

"I'll see you in the lab," I spoke lightly and he frowned slightly in my sudden change in behavior.

"Faye..."

"It's okay. I'm going to lunch with my friends. I'll be fine." He nodded before waving to me then walking towards the stairs leading to the cafeteria and Meizuo finally reached me and stared right at me making me unsure what sort of mood he was in. It wasn't only him who seemed in a mood. Ximen and Lei have been acting this way since I've returned from Paris with Lei. "Meizuo..." I spoke lightly.

"Let's go. Lei is waiting for you." His tone today seemed monotone. I couldn't tell if he was trying to hide coldness in his voice or if this was how he spoke when he wasn't happy. Before I could respond, he turned around and began walking without me. I follow behind slowly feeling confused why he was acting this way when only a few days ago on the call he was happy and radiant and ready to continue our friendship. I'm not sure what changed and I wasn't comfortable asking.

Following Meizuo in the business building was quick and silent. Following him down the halls until we reached the bridge room made me wonder if we were all meeting here before leaving campus. There could be the possibility we could be eating in the bridge room. Entering, we walked down the stairs and I noticed Lei with a stressed out expression. I hurriedly made my way down the stairs past Meizuo to get to Lei.

My hand gently placed on his arm and he suddenly reacted by taking a step away from me. He looked towards me and at first I thought I saw a cold look before his eyes softened slightly and I bit my lip back wondering why he was acting this way.

"What's wrong?" I asked lightly. I knew Meizuo stood by the stairs.

"What's wrong?" Lei questioned. "You're not able to figure it out yet?" His sudden response caught me off guard, because I felt like I was in trouble for something. I haven't done anything wrong. Have I done something wrong?

"Y-you want to break up with me?" I spoke it out loud for the first time since I've felt like I am a burden to him. His sudden mood continued even after we left Paris. He was being romantic and cute. He has been very quiet and distant with me and I continued to give him space, because I wanted to give him time to figure out what he wanted. In the time I gave him space, I began thinking maybe he was rethinking of asking me to be his girlfriend was a mistake. Lei sighed and folded his arms causing my heart to construct a little. What if I really wasn't what he thought I was? He must have changed his mind.

"I'm not sure yet." I folded my arms feeling my heart beginning to ache. He looked up to make eye contact with me."Why were you the one who put Ah Si in the hospital?" I looked at him confusingly. I saw him walking this morning.

"Our first year of senior high school," I heard Meizuo speak from behind. I tuned slightly so I could see them both. Meizuo walked over to Lei's side and I took a step back to avoid being pushed. His tone was cold now and it seemed he was defending Doaming Si. My brain realizing Doaming Si told of them of the incident. My eyes widened and my heart began to pick up from that time period. This isn't fair, they've heard his side of the story.

"I-I... it was an accident." Why did he tell them? I'm doing as he asked and distanced myself a bit. I wanted to tell them eventually of the accident I caused even though I don't think it was my fault completely.

"An accident?" Meizuo laughed jokingly and sent me a glare making me feel afraid of his look. Why does this happen to me? I don't think I have done something this wrong to make them mad."You put him in the hospital!" Frightened at his sudden raise in voice I jumped back slightly feeling myself shaken a bit.

"I didn't know he'd end up there," I spoke lightly hoping they'll allow me to explain. I wasn't sure how to explain.

"But he did," Lei spoke calmly. Is Lei mad at me? Is this why  he has been acting this way towards me?

"Let me exp-"

"Explain how you poisoned Ah Si and he ended up getting sick to the point he had to be taken to the hospital?"

"Lei..." I said lightly that I was not able to speak properly, because I felt too anxious. "He took my food. A-and h-h-"

"So you poisoned your own food? What a sick thing to do," Meizuo said with disgust.

"I-I didn't... I never...," I broke into tears now. It has been a little difficult since Lei and I returned. I would hear my classmates whispering and posting on the discussion board. Facing Meizuo now only made me feel worried. "...but he was threat-"

"Enough with your lies." Meizuo was now pissed off. "Get out of here."

"Lei, please let me explain," I asked gently, trying to remain calm. The only thing that mattered to me would be whether Lei and Ximen would trust me. I did not want to lose them both for something like this. I felt guilty in every aspect when I found out he needed to be in the hospital. At least he had friends who cared about him and who had visited him during his stay. I didn't have that before. Instead Doaming Si had put me into the hospital weeks before with a concussion and near life ending experience and Ximen never found out about it. He wouldn't have, because he was always hanging out with Doaming Si, not noticing I was absent from school for a while.

"Faye... hearing this from him surprises me."

"He hasn't told you everything that happened. He wants you to both to hate me. You know how he intervenes with my life."

"You..." Lei started unsurely. "put Ah Si into the hospital for selfish reasons." I felt like my voice were holding back the words I needed to say. My eyes lowered in defeat hearing Lei say that. I'm selfish?

"I-I'm sorry," I spoke lightly now.

"Doesn't give you the right to harm him like that. You could have been kicked out of school back then if he did not keep this to himself," Meizuo said. I sighed frusterated and wiped my nose with the sleeve of my coat. I sniffled, feeling hurt they automatically accused me of doing something I never had fault in. They believed him. They are his friends after all and I was nothing compared to him. I don't feel comfortable enough to talk about my near death experience. They've clearly chosen a side and not a part of them cared to ask about how I was.

"I'm sorry," I apologize lightly and now bowed my head. They won't listen to me if I tried. I may as well apologize and hope they'll calm down.

"Sorry isn't enough," Meizuo spoke coldly. "I can't believe I fell for your innocence." I felt hurt he would say that. Ximen first introduced Meizuo at the airport when I first arrived and he was so welcoming and comforting almost immediately after getting to know him. It was hard to see he couldn't understand me. "I can't believe I actually had a crush on you." I looked down feeling flustered and embarrassed I had to go through this even though I haven't done anything wrong. Meizuo spoke without thinking and wanted to hurt me with words.

"Meizuo," I heard Lei speak. "That's going too far."

"I don't care." My breathing became a bit rigid and I felt my chest constricting making it difficult to breathe. It was always this way when I became upset and embarrassed. I balled one of my hands into a fist and brought it up to my chest. My head was swirling with all of my emotions and I felt light headed from my stressed out thoughts. Lei looked towards me and I saw a mixture of mixed thoughts.

My chest hurt from Meizuo's accusations and his words. My heart was aching, because Lei called me selfish. I took a shaky breath and took a step back wanting space from them. It would be best to leave them and breakdown in the bathroom where I couldn't be seen. Lei took a sharp breath before taking a step towards me and Meizuo reached towards Lei to pull him back.

My eyes widened as I watched Lei shove Meizuo away and he turned towards me with a worried look and took a few steps towards me to be closer with me. He placed a hand on my cheek and wrapped his arm around my waist as he looked directly into my eyes searching for answers.

"Lei!" I heard an angry Meizuo from behind.

"She's innocent," Lei spoke gently after a moment staring at me and calming me all at once. "I'm not going to let you hurt her. She did nothing wrong."

"She pois-" Lei turned us so we were facing Meizuo and coldly cut him off.

"She said she never poisoned her food. Think about this before you yell at my girlfriend!" This was the first time, I've seen Lei raise his voice. His tone was very protective of me and my heart hurt to see what was going on here. Lei now took my hand and was leading me towards the stairs before I could fully process what just happened. My heart swelling , because he believed in me. It was Meizuo who had self doubt for me. Once we were out of the building, Lei let go of my hand and turned towards me.

"I'm sorry for causing this much trouble. I don't mean for you to go against your friends..."

"This was not your fault. I had a feeling Ah Si would attempt to do something. He wanted me to break up with you."

"Is... that why you were acting strange in Paris after I recovered?"

"Yes... I wanted to think everything through before I reacted. It was best for me to distance myself so I wouldn't regret something without thinking." Understanding what Lei was saying I nod, because this was his way of not over reacting or accusing me without thinking everything through. "I'm sorry I may have been distant with you the last few days of our trip. I... just had to think. I hope I did not upset you too much."

"I really thought in there you were all for Daoming Si."

"I've already heard how he is around you and you've had a panic attack at the mall, because of him. Hearing you back there was enough to tell me he somehow twisted the story. I shouldn't have called you selfish in there. I was fighting with myself. I was remembering Ah Si wanted to hurt you."  He took a step towards me and placed a hand against my cheek before leaning down to kiss my forehead. I closed my eyes feeling my stomach erupting with butterflies from his touch. He pulled away and leaned his forehead against mine. "I really like you Faye. Ah Si won't interfere with our relationship. I won't let it happen."

I smiled slightly and leaned forward to hug him. He wrapped his arms around me once more and kissed the top of my head. My heart melting at his sudden affection, because it continues to make me bubbly and calm all at once.

"No matter what happens after this, I am by your side. Whether Ximen decisions are irrational or if he decides to murder Ah Si, I'll make sure he doesn't get into trouble."

"Thank you Lei," I spoke lightly thankful for him. I honestly would be completely lost without him. Lei is the only one who notices the little things. "I'm afraid of his reaction."

"If Ximen loves you like a sister, he won't turn against you. I know he may seem angry towards you, but I know he cares very greatly of you. If it comes to a point you can't be in the same house with him, you're welcome to stay with me for awhile."

///

Next update: Wednesday

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

68K 1.9K 51
the journey of a quiet, closed off man and a fiery, maturing girl who deal with heartbreak, love, and abuse whilst trying to find themselves and who...
1K 74 32
Y/N, a rising music producer alongside her band, FourDust, returns to China. As a new student to Yu Feng High, she is hoping to have a good year. Lit...
210K 3.7K 40
inspired by meteor garden,, 流星花园
28.6K 884 30
I do not own any of the characters used in this story! All rights go to the creators of Yu-Gi-Oh! I also do not own the cover of this story. Link to...