Take My Broken Soul

By The_Dogwhisperer863

After her parents die, Adelaine Scott and her three younger siblings are forced to go live with their abusive... More

Character Introduction
Prologue
CH 1- New Beginnings
CH 2- The First Day
CH 3- First Impressions
CH 4- Secrets and Lies
CH 5- Promises, Promises
CH 6- After School Friendships
CH 7- Hiding My Truth
CH 8- Helping Her
CH 9- Letting Him In
CH 10- Wandering Dreams
CH 12- The Date
CH 13- Moving Forward
CH 14- A Day Turned Bad
CH 15- Consequences of the Past
CH 16- Finding the Truth
CH 17- Going Home
CH 18- Friend of a Friend
CH 19- Her New Home
Check In
CH 20- Figuring It Out
CH 21- Pain and Heartbreak
CH 22- Watching Her Hurt
CH 23- Questionable Answers
CH 24- Making Amends
CH 25- Hidden Lies
CH 26- The Secret Exchange
CH 27- Revealing A Friend
CH 28- Telling the Truth
CH 29- Wondering About the Truth
Check In
CH 30- Finding a Piece of Her
CH 31- Friday Night Lights
CH 32- Pieces of Her Life
CH 33- As Expected
CH 34- The Fallout
CH 35- Needed Advice
CH 36- Without Her
CH 37- Making a Decision
CH 38- Picking Up The Pieces
CH 39- Figuring It Out
CH 40- Our First Barbeque
CH 41- Game Day
CH 42- Bumps and Bruises
CH 43- Consequences of Life
CH 44- Going For Her
CH 45- Battered Bones
CH 46- My Broken Soul
CH 47- A Hospital or A Morgue
CH 48- Staying Here
CH 49- Staying or Going
Epilogue
Check In
Series Update

CH 11-A New Day

8.7K 167 34
By The_Dogwhisperer863

Adelaine POV-

It's been 2 weeks since the Monday that Nate came over, and let me just say, a lot has changed.

Like promised, Nathan was there at 8:00 a.m. the next morning. Thankfully, my uncle decided to stick to his usual ritual of not coming home until Tuesday night, so we were safe. The ride to school was actually really nice. Nate made sure I was feeling better, opened my door for me, and asked how I slept. It felt really nice to have someone care, and made me feel even better when he asked my siblings if they had slept well and if they were excited about school.

After that day, I decided to give Nate a real shot. I've been letting him in, slowly, every day and I actually really enjoy his company. We hang out a lot but only when my siblings are around. I'm yet to meet any of his friends that I always see him with at school, but that's ok. I'm still pretty hesitant around new people. 

And I know what you're wondering. No, he hasn't asked me out yet, but I think he wants to.

No, you just want him to. 

Maybe. I don't really know what I want.

I really like him and could actually see us going somewhere but our whole friendship is based off lies. And these are lies he can never know the truth to. As much as I want to start a real relationship with him, I could never do that to him. I can't give him all of me because I need to keep my guard up and protect my siblings. It wouldn't be fair to do that to him.

Ya, keep telling yourself that. 

Shut up, inner dialogue. 

The crazy conversation in my head is interrupted by the chime of my phone, alerting me to a new message. 

Nate: "Hello beautiful. What are you doing tonight?"

Me: "Umm. I don't think I have anything going on. Why? What's up?"

Nate: "Perfect! I was wondering if you wanted to go to dinner with me tonight?"

Oh my gosh! He must be able to read minds. Is he asking what I think he's asking?

Me: "Dinner? As in a date?" He doesn't reply for about 5  minutes and I start to stress. 

What if he didn't mean it like that, but was really just bored and his friends were busy. Goodness, that was definitely the wrong thing to text. It was too soon. 

I'm about to do some damage control when I hear another alert come through. 

Nate: "Sorry, some sales man rang my doorbell. But ya Angel, like a date." 

AHHHHHH! He said date! A a real life date with Nathan O'Conner.  Wait! What about the kids?

Me: "Oh. I'm sorry Nate, but I don't think I can. I have my siblings to take care of and it's too late to get a sitter."

Nate: "I figured you'd say that, so I actually already have one lined up. Miss Mathews used to babysit me and she said she's happy to watch them. We could drop them off and then pick them back up when we are done. Easy as pie." I let out a small chuckle at the fact that he knows me so well, but I'm still hesitant to say yes. What if something happens and I can't get to my siblings in time? Or more importantly, what if I actually start falling for this guy?

Me: "It sounds really fun, but I'm just not sure."

Nate: "Aw. Come on gorgeous. Say yes and I promise I'll make it worth your wild. You wouldn't want me to have to tell my friends that I crashed and burned, now would you?" Another small chuckle escapes my lips, followed by a sigh. Well I guess one date wouldn't hurt anyone. Besides, how can I resist that logic?

Me: "Fine. I do not want to be the cause of your ruined reputation."

Nate: "Well of course not. It will be great! I'll pick you and the kids up at 7! See you then, oh and dress cute but kind of casual."

Me: "Ok. See you then."

I shut my phone off and sit in silence for a few seconds. 

Did that really just happen?

Yes! I am going on a date with Nathan. I've only ever had a few other boyfriends but they weren't serious. When they found out I was waiting until marriage, they left real quick. 

What a shame. You're a catch. 

Well thank you inner dialogue. Laughing at my own confidence, I stand and stretch my tired limbs. I begin walking to the kitchen, but am stopped by my own thoughts before I reach my bedroom door. 

OH MY GOSH! What am I going to wear?

_____________________

Nathan POV-

I'm currently in a pair of dark jeans and a nicer shirt with a pair of boots and a cowboy hat. I was anxious, so I got ready a bit early and am already on my way to pick up the Scotts. Hours later and I still can't believe she said yes. Don't get me wrong, I was praying to God she would, but I know she's still a bit hesitant to let her guard down. 

That's going to change tonight. 

Hopefully. My thoughts leave my head as I pull into her driveway. I get out, straighten my clothes, pick up the bouquet of sunflowers, and begin the walk to her front door. After knocking, I hear the pounding of running footsteps before the door is swung open. I expect to see Lainey, but instead I see Wyatt and Dylan just beyond the threshold. They motion for me to come in and I walk nervously through the door. 

We've hung out a ton since that first Monday, but this is different. This is going to be a real date with Adelaine and I'm so scared I'm going to screw it up. I have a feeling she's not one to give second chances, so this better go well. I ignore the sweating feeling in my palms and turn to see both boys trying to look intimidating. They have their chests puffed and are standing as tall as possible. Their menacing glares come off more like a constipated look, but I get what they're trying to do. I am the boy trying to take out their sister after all. 

"Lainey and Katie are upstairs. They'll be down in a bit but I figured us men should talk first." Wyatt says proudly. I want to let out a laugh at his use of 'men', but decide it's smarter to just let it go. 

"You better treat our sister right or else we're gonna beat your bottom." Dylan says in his little 6 year old voice. 

"Of course. I wouldn't dream of hurting her in any way because I've got a really big crush on your sissy. That means I'm going to do everything I can to make her like me." I reply to him. The answer seems to satisfy him because he drops the act and runs off like the little boy I'm used to seeing. 

"We're serious Nathan. You hurt her and you're dead." Wyatt says seriously. I turn to him and look right into his eyes. 

"I'm serious too Wy. I like your sister. A lot. And I won't let anyone hurt her, including me. It's time she had someone looking out for her and I'll be damned if that person isn't me. I've got her now." I say back, just as serious. He now seems satisfied too, so we both just wait for the girls in silence. 

A few minutes later, Lainey and Katie walk hand-in-hand down the rickety stairs. The second my eyes lay sight on her, the breath is stolen from my lungs.

She's wearing a short, blue dress that is tighter on the top and then flows out at the skirt. There's a brown belt around the middle and she's wearing brown cowboy boots. Her shiny blonde hair is in soft waves down her back and her makeup is subtle, but still makes it look like she's glowing. 

"Wow, Angel. You look beautiful." I say breathlessly and she blushes a deep red.

Her head turns down to the floor for a few seconds before she faces me again. Deciding I can't stay away any longer, I move towards her on the stairs. When I am only a couple feet in front of her, I hold out the sunflowers. She looks surprised at first and then her eyes show pure adoration. 

"Oh, they're beautiful Nate. Thank you. Let me just go put these in water and then we can go." She says and then walks off into the kitchen. 

After putting the vase in her room, she comes down the stairs again and I take her hand. All five of us walk out to my truck and I go to the passenger side. Releasing her hand, I open the front and back doors for both girls. Katie lets out a cute squeal and I lift her in. Then I take Lainey's hand and help her in, before shutting both doors and making my way to the driver's seat. 

I listen to the twins and Wyatt chatter on while I drive to Miss Mathews' house. Taking a glance at my angel, my breath catches again. The light shining on her from the window makes it look like she has a beautiful halo on. She's the most gorgeous woman I've ever seen. 

Now, it's time to prove to her I'm worth her time. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.6M 157K 27
Chloe was beaten and abused by her pack. Her mate rejecting her is the last straw. Unable to deal with it all she runs away. Meeting a new pack and f...
259K 9.4K 33
~Updating every other Tuesday~ First book: Ripper - Hell Rider's MC #1 - ~Note: Cannot be read as a stand alone book ~ Bryan "Alpha" Taylor has had...
86.5K 1.7K 16
Alessandra had always been in the dark about her family. Her mother made sure of it. She never told her anything about her father, her mysterious jo...
18.4K 1.6K 40
**A Romance, Teen Fiction, and YA Featured Novel** Worlds collide when a formerly overweight teen befriends a blinded football player and is forced t...