The Last of Its Kind [AoT]

By WhatADrag6

A child forced to live life on the streets until the unprecedented calamity that claimed many lives and left... More

I
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
XI
XII
XIII
XV
XVI
XVII
XVIII
XIX
XX
XXI
XXII
XXIII
XXIV
XXV
XXVI
XXVII
XXVIII
XXIX
XXX
XXXI
XXXII
XXXIII
XXXIV
XXXV
XXXVI
XXXVII
XXXVIII
XXXIX
XL
XLI
XLII
XLIII
XLIV
XLV
XLVI
XLVII
XLVIII
XLIX
L
LI
LII
LIII
LIV
LV
LVI
LVII
LVIII
LIX
LX
LXI
LXII
LXIII
LXIV
LXV
LXVI
LXVII
LXVIII
LXIX

XIV

4.8K 167 50
By WhatADrag6

Kyra went to get off her horse only for Mikasa to look at her. "No, you don't. Get back on the horse Kyra." Mikasa warned riding right next to her and grabbing her hood.

"Mika, I appreciate your concern, but it's fine. It's only a scratch, I can move around just fine." Kyra reassured only for Mikasa to grip her hood tighter.

"It's not just a scratch. Get back on the horse before I make you." Mikasa said glaring at her sternly.

Kyra was about to protest until a horse came up to her other side walking past them before stopping. Captain Levi turned his head glancing at Kyra.

His eyes narrowed into a glare at her. "And what did I just say earlier, Kyra? Let me tell you since you seem to have forgotten. You are not to move from that horse. Your back took a nasty hit and you need to limit your movements. That is unless you want to join Jaeger on the wagon." Captain Levi said sternly causing Kyra to look at him with narrowed eyes.

Kyra stayed there glaring at him as he glared back. Kyra huffed in agitation caving to his orders. The girl had a recoil of an attitude, trust issues, and lacked any respect for authority. Luckily, the man understood where she was coming from and knew just how to go about it to make her follow orders.

She had posed a major problem in the trust aspect, but he didn't have to worry as much, because she was quick to act and think before others, sharp instincts, and could make judgment calls on the whim. And to top it all off, she had a selfless mentality. Meaning she would put others before her in these situations unless she was ordered differently.

So while she may not trust people as a whole, she did trust their abilities to an extent, since they were in the Scouts for a reason and have survived this long. She didn't underestimate them like they had certainly have done with her.

Kyra grumbled under her breath as she moved back on the horse. "Whatever you say, mother."

Mikasa looked over at Kyra observing her as a question popped into her mind. She understood that she wasn't going to tell them about her back so she wouldn't bother asking about the scars.

Another question did arise though. How had she been able to take the Female Titan by surprise? How was she able to sneak up without being seen or heard? Mikasa glanced at her before speaking.

"Kyra, how were you able to sneak up on the Female Titan?" Mikasa asked.

Kyra turned glancing at Mikasa pressing her lips together in thought. "By using my surroundings to my advantage. I purposely didn't use my ODM and chose to free fall. She has keen hearing. I noticed with each reinforcement she didnt have a view on she was still able to strike them because she heard them. The sound would've been enough to give my position away if I had used the gear, so I opted not to use it. It's the same way, I conserve my gas. Back in Trost while everyone was almost empty, I still had plenty left. It's not because I sat back or used it sparingly. It's because I moved without it. I'm sure you've noticed but when all of you move using your ODM gear, I choose to run across the roof and jump to another. It goes without saying, that I don't recommend anyone to take up this method, because it is risky. And I'm not sure if they would react quick enough to catch themselves, if they missed a step. But there you have it. No special technique or power, just reckless and risky maneuvers. That's all." Kyra explained.

Mikasa glanced at her with wide eyes before she closed her eyes thinking back to Trost and then with the Female Titan. A memory appeared from five years ago of Kyra climbing on buildings and jumping from roof to roof.

No, it's not like anybody else can pull it off. The fact is that, she is the only one who can actually do that. No one else would even be able to make the jump. Many would fall short and many more wouldn't be able to react quick enough. There's also the fact that no one would willingly dive off a roof or tree from that height and trust themselves to act quickly.

She knew what she was capable of and trusted herself and her skills to a high degree. She was fearless. She held no doubts in her skills and it shows. Her instincts are well-tuned and sharp.

She opened her eyes glancing back to Kyra, "I see. It makes sense, now that I think about it. That's always something that you were able to do as a kid. And honestly, I think you are probably the only one who could do that, ability wise. I know I wouldn't be able to." Mikasa informed.

Kyra closed her eyes nodding. That's probably for the best.

Mikasa left to go check up on Eren as Kyra looked around solemnly.

"Kyra, are you okay?" Armin asked standing next to her horse.

Kyra looked down at Armin as he looked at the bandaged around her back.

"Yeah, what the hell happened to you?" Jean asked.

"I was swatted by the Female Titan like a fly. I'm fine just minor cuts and scrapes." Kyra informed.

They looked at the blood that stained her back before nodding.

"I'm glad you're okay." Armin said as Jean nodded.

"Yeah, the same goes for you two and the others." Kyra said as her eyes glanced at all the bodies being gathered.

The two walked away to help leaving Kyra on her horse.

Kyra watched numbly as bodies were lined up and wrapped with cloth before they were carried onto a wagon stacked on top of one another. She watched as Armin and Jean lifted the bodies into the wagon talking about how this is part of their job that they will never get used to.

Kyra was forced to limited movement since her injuries. As she moved she felt a slight pain lining her side. She glanced at the area to see swelling and bruising around her rib cage. She sighed knowing that she had cracked a rib.

They weren't wrong, besides the danger of being a Scout this was a part of the Scouts that if not all, damn near all hated. The gathering and collecting of the dead to bring home to the unsuspecting and hopeful folks waiting within the walls for their return.

It was something that Kyra didn't have to worry about. She had no one waiting for her to return back within the walls. But the same couldn't be said for every one of the soldiers that they lost today. These men and women had families waiting for them.

Her mind flickered back to Petra, Eld, Gunther, and Oruo. The memories of them and the flashback of each of their deaths.  The images of their dead bodies appeared in her mind as she continued watching the bodies pile up. The Scouts had taken a massive hit on this expedition.

Kyra looked at the bodies solemnly as each one was lifted up and stacked into wagons.

She sat on her horse looking at the sky, she clenched her fist tightly. They saw. I know they did. There's no keeping it. It's only a matter of time until it gets brought up. Damn it!

...

The Scouts began moving out heading back to the wall. Kyra rode beside Armin and Jean.

She glanced back as a voice screamed. "Wait!"

She glanced at two Scouts on horseback running from two Titans.

"Heads up! We've got company!" The other man shouted.

"Titans!"

Red smoke shot into the air.

Kyra glanced back hearing the yells of the soldier as he got captured. The Titan came running towards them quickly.

"It's about to be right on top of us!" Armin commented in worry.

"Looks like we've got no choice but to fight!" Jean said.

"No." Kyra said flatly.

"Ground's too flat to engage ODM gear. And not only that--We'll soon be outnumbered." Armin informed looking over to see more Titans coming.

Jean sighed before looking to Armin and Kyra. "Perfect. Then what do you suggest we do, geniuses?" Jean asked.

"The only thing we can." Armin answered.

"Drop the dead. I can't move well enough to take them." Kyra said before moving to the wagon. "Drop the bodies. The wagon is too slow with all that weight. You won't be able to outrun it like this." Kyra called out to Peer.

"Are you crazy? Just who the hell do you think you are to make that call?" Peer yelled out.

"It's the only option at this point. They're dead, body or no body. This will not change the fact that they are still dead, period. And you'll join them too if you can't learn to let go! We've lost more than enough men, so let it go! Let it go, damn it!" Kyra shouted.

"We're done! It's gaining on us! I'll jump behind the bastard and distract him! Give you a chance to put some distance--" The soldier said.

"And do what die like the rest of them?! You damned fool, getting sentimental on these matters right now, won't save your conscience if your dead, too! You know what you have to do. So I'll tell you once more, if you value your life, toss the bodies!" Kyra yelled out harshly.

"She's right. Don't bother. You've got to jettison the extra weight. Dump the bodies." Captain Levi said falling back to the side of the wagon.

"B-B-But, sir! "

"Do you know how many corpses we've already left behind? These aren't special. Dump them! Consider it their last service to the cause." Captain Levi stated.

"Are we doing this? We can't seriously be doing this!" The soldier shouted out fighting his morals.

"Damn it. I'm sorry, there's just no other way!" Captain Levi said referring to his injured leg.

Kyra gritted her teeth moving through the burning on her side before jumping on to the wagon. "Tch, I'll do it. You're obviously fighting against your morals. So, I'll spare you the emotional torment and do it myself. You won't be the one to blame for this, I will. Just stay the hell outta my way. You can hate me later once I save your asses!" Kyra shouted at the two starting to dump the bodies.

The men around her gasped in shock with wide eyes as she shouted out. The bodies fell off the wagon allowing for the wagon to speed up from the heavy weight being removed.

"We're losing him!" The soldier called out in relief.

Kyra stood up and jumped back on her horse grunting as she held her side. They continued to move forward. She rode next to Jean and Armin who remained silent.

...

They made a stop to regroup. Kyra pet her horse before stopping as she spotted the blood of the fallen on her hand. She paused staring at it. The angry and rushed footsteps could be heard coming straight for her. She pet her horse muttering, "Stand down, Enzo." She ordered to the horse.

She turned around only to be grabbed by her collar by the soldier from earlier, who gritted his teeth with tears.

"You calloused cold-hearted bitch! How could you?! You probably enjoy seeing people suffer! Is that it, you get off on misery and despair?" The man yelled out pulling Kyra off her feet as the man snarled seething as he punched her repeatedly.

Jean stood up seeing this as Mikasa and Armin followed.

"Hey, man! Knock it off!" Jean yelled out.

"Let her go!" Mikasa growled out pulling out her swords.

"Stop!" Armin shouted.

Kyra remained looking at the soldier as blood fell from her nose and mouth. After the tenth punch she grabbed his fist.

"What's going on here?" Captain Levi demanded.

Both ignored him as they continued to gaze at each other one with cold eyes and the other full of pure hatred.

"As I said you can hate me all you want, later. You obviously couldn't do it. So I made the choice for you. I did it for you. If that makes me the calloused and heartless bitch you see me as, then so fucking be it. At the end of the day, when we get back and you aren't happy that you are alive. That you aren't grateful that you get to see your loved ones, then come find me. Find me and take all your aggression, frustration, anguish, and sorrow out on me! I won't fight back, I'll take it, because it's the burden I chose to bear for saving your life!" Kyra spat out at the man.

"Drop her, now. That's an order." Captain Levi said sternly.

The man gritted his teeth closing his eyes as his grip on Kyra loosened. Kyra landed on her feet before walking away from the group unfazed by the events that just happened.

She whistled causing Enzo to follow after her.

"K-Kyra, wait!" Armin stood up to run after her.

Jean stopped him, "Just let her be for right now. Give her some space." Jean said softly.

Armin looked down in worry before he sighed nodding. "Right."

"Let's move 'em out!" An Elite yelled out.

...

Kyra walked through the gate pulling her horse along numbly. She continued to look ahead as her eyes remained void of emotion.

She could hear the shocked whispers from the crowd that gathered to watch them.

"Am I miscounting, or are there fewer of 'em than when they left?"

"No, there's a lot fewer."

"Must've been a bad one."

"I don't get it. They were all piss and vinegar this morning. They're already back?"

"Hell, why bother leavin' in the first place?"

"No idea. I'd say by the looks on their faces they hoped to be gone longer. Our taxes hard at work, ladies and gentlemen. Bravo."

Kyra clenched the rein tighter as she looked up to the sky.

Kyra continued to move forward passing a man who ran to Captain Levi. "Excuse me, Captain Levi?"

Kyra could hear the enraged and disgruntled shout aimed at Commander Erwin.

"Give us some answers, damn you! We have a right!"

"How many lives were lost on this mission? Was it worth it? Was is really worth it?"

"You think the last thing going through their minds was "for the good of humanity?""

It never ends. The prospects of life and death are just an endless cycle. A never ending cycle that does not discriminate because all that live are forced to undergo this cycle...until they die.

...

The causalities incurred during the Scout Regiment's latest excursion beyond the wall were profound. So much so, that what little public favor they still held was all but crushed.

Within hours of their return, Erwin and the battle-weary survivors were called to the capital. The Scouts' custody of Eren and Kyra were summarily revoked.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1K 93 15
You didn't expect things to end up this way. Growing up in Marley, you have longed your whole life to find your father to fill the void left when he...
11.3K 167 5
"𝘭𝘦𝘒𝘷𝘦 𝘺𝘰𝘢𝘳 𝘡𝘩π˜ͺ𝘯𝘨𝘴 𝘣𝘦𝘩π˜ͺ𝘯π˜₯, 𝘀𝘒𝘢𝘴𝘦 π˜ͺ𝘡'𝘴 𝘒𝘭𝘭 𝘨𝘰π˜ͺ𝘯𝘨 𝘰𝘧𝘧 𝘸π˜ͺ𝘡𝘩𝘰𝘢𝘡 𝘺𝘰𝘢." Β° πͺ𐑂 β™‘ πͺ𐑂 β‚’ πͺ𐑂 β™‘ πͺ𐑂 Β° boo...
1.7M 58.3K 74
(Y/n) is a girl who has a passion for going beyond the walls. Getting that breath of air, getting to see the trees and the endless trail of grass. Bu...
994K 27.9K 86
Suns had always been known to be the brightest light, but anyone whose ever met one particular girl would know her smile conquered all. She loved and...