Death's Gift

By PotatoModeActivated

After the war Harry distances himself from everyone, feeling empty. He spends a year in solitude, only writin... More

Chapter One - The Plan
Chapter Two - The End
Chapter Three - His New Beginning
Chapter Four - The Move
Chapter Five - The Grangers
Chapter Six - Hogwarts Letters
Chapter Seven - Slytherins
Chapter Eight - A Deal with the Enemy
Chapter Nine - Tied up Ends and Tea Dates
Chapter Eleven - "Acquaintances"
Chapter Twelve - Back to Hogwarts
Chapter Thirteen - A Bad Feeling
Chapter Fouteen - Problems in Paris
Chapter Fifteen - Join Me
Chapter Sixteen - Again?!
Chapter Seventeen - Second Year
Chapter Eighteen - A Friendly Chat
Chapter Nineteen- The Attack
Chapter Twenty - The Next Step
Chapter Twenty-One - Getting into the Order
Chapter Twenty-Two - A Meeting
Chapter Twenty-Three - Some Good and Bad Company
Chapter Twenty-Four - An Unorderly Order
Chapter Twenty-Five - Dealing with the Dark
Chapter Twenty-Six - Family Reunion
Chapter Twenty-Seven - Distancing
Chapter Twenty-Eight - Reuniting
Chapter Twenty-Nine - Teacher Troubles
Chapter Thirty - Friends?
Chapter Thirty-One - A Needed Conversation
Chapter Thirty-Two - Tom's Expression and Hermione's Surprise
Chapter Thrity-Three - Realized Feelings
Chapter Thrity-Four - Christmas Break Crisis
Chapter Thirty-Five - The First Night
Explaination
Until the next chapter, Check out my Other Stories

Chapter Ten - Christmas Holidays

16.2K 736 64
By PotatoModeActivated

Death's Gift - Chapter Ten
Christmas Holidays

"Harry... Harry, Harry!"

"Huh?!" Harry was pulled out of his daze.

Hermione sighed and crossed her arms, "You've been out of it all morning."

Harry realized that they were on the train, no doubt going home for the holidays. How did he not notice that he'd boarded? The same thing had happened at breakfast when Draco had shaken him back to reality.

"What's going on?" Hermione asked.

Harry bit his lip instead of replying. It wasn't that he didn't want to, it was just that he didn't know what was going on. Ever since he'd given Voldemort the stone he just felt... off. It was as if he'd forgotten something really important. The feeling was still there by the time he woke up and Harry just couldn't place it. He'd already re-run both of his "meetings" with Voldemort over and over in his head, trying to grasp what he was missing.

"I dunno..." Harry told her weakly.

Hermione frowned and got up, sitting next to Harry. She grabbed his hand as she'd done so many years ago to comfort him when he'd had his meltdown, "Do you want to talk about it?"

Harry squeezed her hand shaking his head.

Hermione sighed and placed her other hand over Harry's, "Okay, I'm always here if you ever change your mind."

Harry smiled at her, "Thanks 'Mione."

Just then the door was pushed open and the twins walked in. They took one look at Hermione and Harry, who'd frozen on the spot. Identical malicious smiles appeared on their faces.

"Do you two want some alone time?" Fred asked, wiggling his eyebrows

"We'd hate to intrude on your cuddle session." George added.

Harry couldn't help himself, he started laughing, "I think we've been caught Hermione."

Hermione rolled her eyes, a smile on her face, "We weren't even doing anything."

"Then what was with that hand holding?" They asked.

"Is it a crime to try to comfort your best friend?!" She asked, crossing her arms.

"C'mon 'Mione. We all know you love me." Harry teased.

Hermione walked him in the back of his head.

"Hermione!" Harry exclaimed, his hand touching where she'd hit him.

"No so sure now are you?" She teased back, a self satisfied smirk on her face.

The twins started laughing.

"Oh do you two want some of my love too?" She asked, rolling up her sleeves.

"No ma'am!" Fred said through his laughs.

"Keep your love far far away from our beautiful faces." George told her.

They all started laughing.

"What's going on?"

They turned towards the compartment door which had opened to reveal Neville. Harry and Hermione scooted over, making room for him on the seat.

"Hermione was professing her love for Harry." Fred told him.

"What?! You two like each other?!" Neville exclaimed.

"As friends, Neville. Harry and I love each other as friends." Hermione told him.

"That's not how you made it look~" Harry smirked.

Hermione hit him again, "How does this one look then?"

They once again started laughing. The group of five eased into a comfortable conversation which lulled into a comfortable silence, Harry and Hermione eventually pulling out books to read. Neville scrunched his nose when he saw Harry's book.

"I still don't understand how you can read that." Neville told him.

Harry looked up, the twins plucking his book out of his hands.

"What is this?" Fred asked.

"It's just a bunch of scribbles." George said.

Harry grabbed the book back, rolling his eyes, "It's in another language, that's why none of you understand it."

"I've never seen any language like that Harry." Neville said skeptically.

"Seeing as it's the language of the snakes that makes sense Neville." Harry said, re-opening the book.

Neville immediately stiffened, the twins eyes widened.

"You can read Parseltounge?!" They exclaimed.

Harry lowered the book, "Guys... I'm a Parselmouth, remember?"

"Yeah," Neville shuddered, "You sicked a snake on Ron."

Harry grinned, "And what a wonderful day that was. If only Kereith had hit her mark."

"She would've killed him!" Neville exclaimed.

Harry pursed his lips, as if he'd just eaten something sour, "No... Her venom wasn't deadly, a bite wouldn't have killed him, just... seriously harmed him..."

"Sometimes your intent to hurt our brother gets kinda scary Harry." George told him.

"Why do you hate Ron so much anyway?" Fred asked.

"I've seen the type of person he grows up to be."

"But what could he do in the future that would make you hate him so much?" Neville asked.

"It's... complicated. I'm not even sure I can describe it without giving away things that shouldn't be known about the future. Let's just say he grows up to be a really horrible person."

"Like what?" The twins asked.

Harry paused, "I- I don't know if I should say. I already say enough about the future as is...."

"You got that right." Hermione put in.

Harry smiled, "I will say this, you don't want to know."

The twins fell silent, Neville stiffening again. The train ride continued in relative silence.

When the train finally arrived at Kings Cross Harry looked out of the window to see Sirius and Remus waiting for him while talking to Jean and Dave, who looked out of place amongst all of the Wizards. He grinned and tucked his book away, heaving his trunk down off the rack. He exited the compartment, waving bye to the twins who took off to their parents. Neville also said bye before leaving to his gran. Hermione and Harry made their way over to their parents.

"Harrison!" Sirius greeted, pulling him into a hug which Harry returned.

"Good to see you cub." Remus told him, pulling him in for a hug too and ruffling his hair.

"It's good to see you guys too." Harry told them.

"Ready to go home?" Sirius asked.

Harry nodded. He waved goodbye to Draco, Theo, and Blaise before grabbing Sirius's arm, bracing himself for side along apperation. When the arrived inside their house Harry clutched his stomach.

"I can never get used to that feeling." He muttered.

Sirius laughed and patted him on the back.

"Who were those that you waved to before we left?" Remus asked him, "They look familiar but I couldn't place who they were."

"Oh, that was Draco, Blaise, and Theo. They're some new friends I've made this year."

Sirius and Remus exchanged a concerned look.

"Malfoy, Zabini, and Nott's kids?" Sirius asked.

Harry nodded, "Yeah. I share a dorm with Draco and Blaise, the three of us became friends during the start of the year feast."

"Harrison," Remus sat him down, "It's not that I don't love that you're making friends, but I'm worried about how safe it is befriending children of Death Eaters."

"It's not that your friends have done anything wrong, it's that those who's parents are still loyal to the dark lord might try to use them to get to you." Sirius told him, "We just want you to be safe."

Harry could understand their concerns, after all, they were completely logical and could very well happen. He too had contemplated this a few times but Harry knew that he could protect himself. Sirius and Remus didn't know that. In their eyes he was still an eleven year old who needed protecting, he was their son and they we're worried about his safety.

"We're in no way saying not to be friends with them." Remus told him quickly, "We just want you to be aware so you can keep and eye out."

"We trust your opinion, and if these boys have managed to make you want to be their friend then they must be something."

Harry smiled and nodded.

"Now, how about some dinner?" Remus asked, getting up.

"Can I help?" Harry asked.

"As always."

Sirius laughed as the two made a beeline for the kitchen, they really did love cooking, especially when it was together.

.         .         .         .         .         .         .

This year for Christmas Sirius and Remus had invited Neville and his grandmother to spend it with them. The Longbottoms had accepted and showed up on the 20th, planing to stay for the week to celebrate all of Yule as well, which started on the 21st. Neville's grandmother, Augusta, who had insisted that Harry call her Gran, stayed in the guest room while Neville bunked with Harry. The Weasleys would also be coming over Christmas Day for dinner along with the Grangers, but until then it was just the two of them and occasionally Hermione.

"Are you sure about this Harry?" Neville asked from the top of the stairs.

"It's already rigged to go Neville, besides, Sirius and Remus are muraders, I'm sure they wouldn't mind a harmless little prank." Harry reassured him.

"But what if Gran activates it instead?"

Harry paused, "I thought she was taking a nap?"

Just the Augusta came walking into the kitchen.

"Harry~" Neville said under his breath.

"Maybe she won't open the fridge. She might just be getting something from the pantry." Harry said quietly.

Apparently, luck wasn't on their side. Augusta grabbed a glass out of one of the cupboards and moved to open the fridge.

"Wait-!" Harry exclaimed, sticking his arms out from where he and Neville were hidden at the top of the stairs. Suddenly, Harry lost his balance and fell over the railing, falling onto the tile floor of the kitchen. His legs were still up against the wall while his shoulder blades were pressed up against the floor. Harry blinked a few times, "Don't open the fridge!"

Neville squeaked and ran down the stairs, Augusta dropping the cup she was holding, running over to Harry's side. Sirius and Remus ran in from the other room.

"What happened?!" Sirius demanded.

"Harry fell off the stairs!" Neville told the panickedly.

"I'm fine." Harry waved the adults off.

"Harrison! You just fell almost twelve feet and landed on your back!" Augusta told him harshly.

Harry waved her off, getting up, "See? I'm perfectly fine."

"Do you have a bruises? Broken bones? Sirius check his arms." Remus said, pulling the back of Harry's shirt up to check his back for any kind of injury.

Harry squirmed out of their grip, "I'm okay! Really!"

"How could you be okay? He must've hit his head, we should take him to St, Mungos." Augusta said.

"Now you're just over reacting." Harry drawled.

"Harrison, at least let us do an examination spell to check if you're ok." Sirius persisted.

Harry sighed, "Fine."

Sirius did the spell and just as Harry had told them, he was perfectly fine. All of the adults let out a breath.

"Now that we know your ok..." Sirius put his wand away, "What in Merlin's name were you doing leaning over the railing?!"

Harry smiled sheepishly, "I was trying to stop Gran from opening the fridge."

Remus walked over to the fridge, "Why would you try to stop her from-"

He was cut off when a bag of flour exploded in his face. Harry badly held in a laugh. Remus closed the fridge, whipping flour off of his clothes. Sirius started laughing, Neville even gave a smile, Augusta was a stone faced as ever though.

"And that's why I didn't want Gran opening the fridge." Harry declared triumphantly.

.         .         .          .         .         .         .

When Harry awoke Christmas morning it was to someone jumping onto his bed.

"What the-" Harry exclaimed, suddenly being awoken, "Hermione?!"

The bushy haired girl started chuckling.

"What the heck are you doing here?! I thought you guys weren't supposed to be over until dinner."

"Harry... it's almost one."

Harry's eyes widened as he realized that he'd slept in.

"Anyway~, come down already, everyone's waiting for you to open presents. Well, Sirius, Remus, Neville and Augusta that is."

Hermione grabbed Harry's arms, dragging him out of bed. Harry started muttering about how unfair the Trace was because he couldn't hex her for waking him up, but nonetheless got up and followed Hermione downstairs.

"There's the sleepy head." Sirius said as Harry came down the stairs, still in his pajamas.

"The Grangers got here just a few minutes ago, the Weasleys will be getting here soon. Then we can all exchange gifts." Remus told him.

They did that every year. They'd meet up at someone's house, exchange gifts and then open them together. Normally they'd open ones from family at home but Harry could tell that that wouldn't be the case this time since they'd let him sleep in.

"Sorry I slept so late." Harry said, walking into the living room where everyone was seated.

"No problem. It's a good thing Hermione volunteered to wake you up or you might've slept the whole day." Sirius joked.

"Yes, waking up to see... that" Harry gestured to Hermione's face, "Was very unpleasant." He teased

Hermione smiled, "Oh, admit it. You love my face."

Harry scrunched up his nose, making Hermione laugh and roll her eyes. She dragged Harry over to where Neville was, the three of them sitting down together. A while later the fire place burst in a bright green flame and Arthur stepped through. Jean and Dave jumped at his sudden presence.

"Hope we're not late." Arthur greeted.

He moved to the side to make way for the others to come through, first was Ginny, Ron, Fred, George, Bill, Charlie, Percy, and finally Molly.

Sirius and Remus greeted them while the twins made their way over to where Harry, Hermione, and Neville sat.

"Merry Christmas!" They greeted.

"Merry Christmas." The three replied.

The group of young muraders started up a game of exploding fire snap while the adults migrated to the kitchen to start up lunch. Percy pulled out a book to read, Bill and Charlie started talking, most likely catching up, while Ron and Ginny sat on the couch, staring at where Harry was with his friends.

"Do you think we should invite them over to play too?" Neville asked, glancing up at how the rest of the Weasleys were doing their own thing.

Fred and George looked up, "Percy won't want to play."

"What about Bill, Charlie, Ron, and Ginny?"

Harry's nose scrunched up for real this time. He would gladly invite over Bill and Charlie, he loves the older Weasleys, but Ron and Ginny.... that one he wouldn't be to fond with.

"I suppose it couldn't hurt," Hermione said, "I dislike Ron and Ginny as much a Harry, but it would be the polite thing to do."

"Yeah, like they'll ever care about being polite." Harry grumbled.

"It's Christmas Harry, they're not who they'll grow up to be yet." Neville told him.

Harry sighed, "Fine, but just this once." It was Christmas after all.

"Harry why don't you invite them over?" Fred asked.

"Yeah, it'll mean a lot more if it's you instead of us." George backed him up.

Harry groaned and put his hands on his temples.

"C'mon Harry." Neville persisted.

Harry dragged his hands down his face, "I can't believe I'm about to do this." He mumbled.

Harry turned around so that he was facing the Weasleys, "Guys, do you wanna come play?"

Bill and Charlie looked at them, "Sure."

Ron and Ginny's eyes lit up but they didn't move, figuring that Harry was only talking to Bill and Charlie. Harry sighed.

"You two were apart of that 'guys' as well." He said lowly.

Ron and Ginny practically scrambled over to where they were, Ginny somehow managing to squeeze her way in between Harry and Hermione. This pissed Harry off because he knew she would try to make some sort of move on him but he didn't pay her any mind, after all, he and Hermione were tall enough that they could just look over her head and talk to each other as if Ginny wasn't even there. Ginny was just bellow Harry's nose so he sometimes got away with pretending that he didn't see her. Fred and George shared a a look, knowing that Ginny hadn't made the best choice by sitting between Harry and Hermione. The two mainly always sat together and when they were they didn't like to be separated. They were kind of like a second set of twins.

The adults watched this progression from the kitchen, Sirius and Remus smiling when they saw Harry invite Ron and Ginny over.

"Looks like they're finally getting along." Molly said contentedly, placing her hands on her hips.

Sirius snorted, "More like Harry's beginning to tolerate their company."

Jean and Dave looked over to the group of children that were now playing exploding fire snap. Sure they were just muggles, but they knew how to tell if someone was uncomfortable just from the slightest movements, they were dentists, everyone was always uncomfortable around them. With one look at their daughters face, as well as Harry's, they knew for a fact that the both were getting more and more annoyed with the new company every second. It looked as though any minute now they would blow.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

245K 9.3K 41
What if all the loss had became too much for Harry? What if he found out Ron was just using him to be in the spot light? What if Hermione hated him...
111K 3.2K 19
It is after the war and Draco finds himself in a tough place, you see he just found out he was a veela. Although some can tell with his light blonde...
212K 9.7K 34
The war just ended, and the world has been saved. But Draco Malfoy and his family are now facing trial, and Harry has to wonder whether he should rev...
2.2K 12 15
After months of abuse from his friends, and Years of abuse from his muggle family, Harry Potter finds himself in the arms of Malfoy, Draco Malfoy. S...