The Apprentice of Thanatos

By LombaxMechanic23

One night after a long day of ghost fighting, Danny meets Thanatos, the Greek god of death. The god tells Dan... More

Prologue
Chapter 2: Into the Underworld
Chapter 3: Death's Apprentice
Chapter 4: An Underworldly Tour
Chapter 5: Ad Astra
Chapter 6: Up In Flames
Chapter 7: Τι έχω κάνει
Chapter 8: Explanations
Chapter 9: Let's Try That Again
Chapter 10: An Unexpected Visitor
Chapter 11: Off To Camp
Chapter 12: Introductions and Farewells
Chapter 13: Into The Woods
Chapter 14: Capture The Flag
Chapter 15: Run Away
Chapter 16: Difficult Conversations
Chapter 17: Ghostly Introductions
Chapter 18: Lakeside Conversations
Chapter 19: An Unpleasant Visitor
Chapter 20: A Conversation with Death
Chapter 21: Ultimate Enemy Part 1
Chapter 22: Ultimate Enemy Part 2
Important Announcement
Chapter 23: Ultimate Enemy Part 3
Chapter 24: Ultimate Enemy Part 4
Chapter 25: Ultimate Enemy Part 5
Chapter 26: Ultimate Enemy Part 6
Chapter 27: Ultimate Enemy Part 7
Chapter 28: Aftermath
Chapter 29: The Butterfly Effect
Chapter 30: Psychopomping for Beginners
Chapter 31: Shadow-Travel 101
Chapter 32: Kindred Spirits Part 1
Chapter 33: Kindred Spirits Part 2
Chapter 34: Kindred Spirits Part 3

Chapter 1: A Godly Encounter

5.4K 170 25
By LombaxMechanic23

{This chapter takes place in late January of 2008.

Takes place between The Titan's Curse and the Battle of the Labyrinth

Episodes that have happened since last chapter:

The rest of Season 1; Memory Blank; Doctor's Disorders; Pirate Radio; Reign Storm; Micro-Management.

We do not own Danny Phantom or Percy Jackson, only this story and our original characters.}

      Danny emptied the Fenton Thermos into the Ghost Portal for the third time that night. In the space of that evening, the Box Ghost had escaped three times, Skulker twice, and who knows how many of the smaller ghosts. He rubbed his eyes wearily, hoping to at least get some sleep before school tomorrow. As he turned to fly back to his room, a deep voice called his name: "Daniel."

      "What?" Danny turned to face the portal, hoping that he was hearing things. Unfortunately, he was not.

      What appeared to be a tall angel with ebony-tinted wings and a black floor-length robe stood on the other side of the open portal. The 'angel' had dark skin, long dark hair, and his feathers shimmered with hues of blue, black, and purple. His golden eyes regarded Danny with intrigue. Danny rubbed his own eyes to make sure he was not hallucinating, or dreaming.

      "You are very much awake and lucid, Daniel." The 'angel' stepped through the portal and into the lab, where he towered over the counters and machinery. As he entered the room, a strange feeling washed over Danny; there was a faint tugging at his ghost core, like a fish hook trying to drag him towards the unknown being. Danny shook his head, fighting to clear the feeling.

      "Who are you? What do you want?" Ecto-energy started building up in Danny's hands as he fell into a defensive stance.

      The angel raised his hand in a placating manner, and the pulling feeling somewhat diminished. "I mean you no harm, Daniel. I am Thanatos."

      "Wait a minute. Like, the purple dude?" Danny lowered his hands slightly, perplexed.

      "No," Thanatos deadpanned. "I am the Greek god of death."

      "Wow, great, that's comforting." Danny scowled and brought his fists back up, the ecto-energy around them glowing a bright toxic green. "Are you here to finish what the portal started?"

      "No, Daniel, I am not."

      Now Danny was confused. He lowered his hands. "Then... why are you here?"

      "I need your help, Daniel. The spirits of the dead are growing restless and I can no longer handle them all on my own."

      Danny was even more confused now. "Why do you need my help? What can I do? And aren't you supposed to be a myth, like the other Greek legends?"

      Thanatos patiently explained that the Greek myths were very much real; Danny's jaw fell open at the revelation. Danny asked how it was possible for the Greek myths to still be around and not be seen. Thanatos explained that, through use of a special magic called the Mist, the monsters and many other beings were hidden from most mortal eyes. He told Danny about half-bloods, children with a Greek deity for a parent. Thanatos mentioned a place called Camp Half-Blood, a refuge for those same children to learn how to survive and fight the monsters that hunted them because of their godly genes.

      "So how do I fit into all of this?" Danny asked, still trying to process everything. "How am I supposed to help?"

      "You have fought the spirits of what you call the Ghost Zone for many months. I have come to ask for your help in dealing with the ones that have escaped from that realm."

      "Wait, what do you mean, 'escaped'? Who else has gotten out?" Danny felt dread seep into every part of his being. He began to pace frantically across the floor, thoughts about how the ghosts could have escaped without him noticing buzzing frantically around his head. "How did this happen? How could I have not noticed? Did I notice without noticing?"

      Thanatos watched Danny pace with confusion. "As the King of the Ghost Zone, I thought you knew."

      Danny froze. "What did you just call me?"

      "The King of the Ghost Zone?" Thanatos repeated. "Are you telling me you did not know this?"

      "NO!?!" Danny's voice cracked. "What do you mean I'm the King of the Ghost Zone?!"

      "When you defeated Pariah Dark, you became the new King of the Ghost Zone." Thanatos' expression turned slightly puzzled. "I find it rather incredible that you defeated the former king two months ago, and you did not know that, by Ghost Zone Law, you succeeded him."

      "Look," Danny said, his voice dripping with sarcasm. "I've been a little busy, okay? There's always ghosts wreaking havoc all over Amity Park and I'm pretty overwhelmed, like, all of the time. Sorry, but I don't think I can help you, I just-"

      Danny froze and stared at the ceiling as footsteps creaked overhead; somebody was awake. He turned to Thanatos, who just stared at him with the same unreadable expression.

      "I'll just... be right back," he said quietly. "Don't... do anything, okay?"

      Danny could've sworn that he saw a smirk on Thanatos' face as he turned invisible and flew up through the ceiling to the main floor of the house. He glanced around and grimaced as he saw his dad, Jack, standing in his pajamas in front of the open fridge and chugging out of the milk carton.

      "Eck, guess I'm not having cereal tomorrow," he muttered before flying back downstairs, still invisible.

      Thanatos was right where Danny had left him, and his eyes landed on Danny as soon as he phased through the wall. Danny frowned, puzzled.

      Wait, can he see me even though I'm invisible? He thought. To test his theory, Danny drifted across the room, and watched as Thanatos' gaze followed him. Danny then silently glided up to Thanatos and stopped just a few feet in front of him. He waved his hand animatedly in his face and Thanatos sighed softly.

      "Yes, I can still see you, Daniel," he said, a hint of amusement in his voice.

      "Whoa, how can you—wait, no," Danny shook his head to clear his thoughts as he turned visible again. "Not important right now. My dad's upstairs and you've gotta go, because there is no way I can explain this to him."

      "But there is still very much to discuss, young one," Thanatos tilted his head. "I have not even told you of-"

      "I don't care!" Danny shouted desperately. "Please, you need to go-"

      Danny instinctively turned invisible again as the door to the basement banged open and Jack thudded down the stairs into the lab, an ecto-gun held tightly in his hands.

      "WHO'S THERE?" Jack shouted ferociously. He squinted into the darkness of the room. "I know you're in here, ghostie."

      Danny looked over at Thanatos and gasped, then clamped his hands over his mouth as Jack whipped around to face his direction. Thanatos was still there, clearly visible from the glow of the portal, staring at Jack silently. Danny wildly waved his arms at Thanatos, trying to signal that Jack would see him. Thanatos glanced at Danny from the corner of his eye but made no effort to hide himself as Jack moved slowly towards them.

      Oh no, oh crap, Danny thought. My dad is gonna see Thanatos and think he's a ghost and then he's gonna shoot him, a GREEK GOD, and then Thanatos will KILL him—

      Danny was shocked to see his dad frown, turn around, and stomp back up the stairs. He waited till the basement door slammed shut before he turned visible again and gaped at Thanatos in awe.

      "How did you...?" Danny whispered.

      "Do you remember the Mist that I mentioned earlier?" Thanatos replied. "You just saw it in action."

      "That is so cool," Danny sighed. "I wish I could do that, it would make my life a lot easier."

      "Perhaps, in time," Thanatos said. He turned back towards the portal. "Now, would you like to accompany me to the Underworld? We can converse more without the chance of your father interrupting us."

      Danny didn't respond. Instead, he put his hands to his temples and crouched down low to the floor in an attempt to ground himself. He was absolutely overwhelmed by everything that had happened in the last... hour? Few hours? He didn't even know what time it was, but he was sure that he was not going to get the sleep that he needed before his math test tomorrow.

"I... umm... lemme just-" Danny stuttered. "I honestly... I-I just need some sleep, lemme get back to you on that?"

     "Hmm, I have never met a ghost that needed sleep," Thanatos commented.

     "Yeah, well, I'm sure you've never met a ghost that had a math test in a few hours, but isn't this just a day full of new experiences?" Danny quipped.

      Thanatos chuckled in response. "Very well, then, Daniel. I'll see you tomorrow evening."

      And with that, Thanatos walked back through the green mist of the ghost portal, and the doors slid shut behind him.

{Hope you guys like the chapter. As always this is also posted on AO3 and DA under the same name}

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

28.1K 579 32
🏁HAPPY QUARTER YEAR ANNIVERSARY🏁 🚩TW: Blood, rape, swear words, suicidal thoughts, self harm, panic attacks, needles, death, natural disasters, sl...
948 55 15
#1 ON #Transmale 6-6-2019 #222 on #cupid 6-7-2019 A fanfiction of the Percy Jackson/Heroes of Olympus. Set a month after blood of Olympus. All seems...
28.5K 1.2K 105
The world is hardly ever what it seems. We have seen our heroes fight monsters, gods, titans, and even the very Earth itself. But, there were rules a...
25.2K 699 100
One war has ended and another had just begun... Follow Ariana as she embarks on a new journey which uncovers the truth that has been concealed.. "Eig...