Playing the Game of People

By bellcajoh

The protagonist Kanera Beru is a student of Class D, which where the school places it's most 'defective' stud... More

Soliloquy of Kanera Beru
Chapter 1 - Two Titans Clashing
Chapter 3 - Old and New Friends
Chapter 4 - End of our Easy-going Lives
Chapter 5 - Connecting Class Changes
Chapter 6 - Menacing Midterms
Chapter 7 - Too Much Tension Can Cause Anything to Snap
Warning - Mental Health Post

Chapter 2 - Defectives of Class D

1.3K 49 24
By bellcajoh

As the new boy – who introduced himself as Kanera Beru – sat down in front of me, it was only a few moments until our new homeroom teacher made her appearance. When I first saw her, my initial impression was that she firmly believed in discipline. If I had to guess, I would have placed her at age thirty. She wore a suit and had delicate features. Her hair seemed long, and she tied it into a ponytail.

She introduced herself as Chabashira Sae and she proceeded to give the class a run-down of the curriculum, rules and standards of the school. The most unique feature which caught my eye was the use of the 'S System.'

After receiving our student ID cards, we were told of it's uses around campus – which ultimately came down to it being a glorified credit card. She proceeded to say that we had received 100,000 points already. An extreme amount for a high schooler. After the eruption from the class, she ended up finishing her spiel whilst carefully surveying the students. After asking if there were any questions, she immediately left the classroom. There was something hiding underneath her sweet words, I was sure of it.

----

"This school doesn't seem as strict as I thought," I muttered.

I thought I was talking to myself but Horikita looked in my direction. Surprisingly Kanera turned sideways in his chair to half face me. They must have thought that I was continuing our earlier conversation.

"This school is extremely lenient, isn't it?" Horikita asked.

Kanera glanced at Horikita and resumed his gaze back on me. "It appears so, however Chabashira-sensei's wording and tone made me uncomfortable."

With his attention back on me, I was able to fully see his features. He had a handsome face with wavy black bangs which almost covered his eyeline. They were slightly parted to one side but overall, kept a messy 'pretty boy' look. Like Horikita, he had discerning eyes. The misty teal blue looked inquisitive and calm, as if gaining subtle information by the second. I could see him being quite popular and sociable with the fairer side of sex.

But what I was most focused on were his words. He understood that there was an underlying issue with Chabashira-sensei's speech. The way he spoke, is as if he was trying to delve into unseen meanings. Not the verbal cues most people listen for, but the barely visible non-linear forms of output. The body language, tone of voice, face value – I assume that is what he was picking up on. How curious.

Although this could be me over-reacting to the littlest of discrepancies. So, I zoned back in.

"Uncomfortable?" Queried Horikita.

"Yes," replied Kanera. He focused back on Horikita and explained his outburst. "It's probably me being overly cautious, however I was concerned on how she delivered her little spiel there."

"Continue," insisted Horikita. Hey! He's made more progress with her than me. How frustrating. Well, he had my attention too so I can't complain.

"The main thing that stands out is that she wanted questions..." Kanera looked up in thought as he continued, "...and looked slightly disappointed when she didn't receive any."

"Hmm, maybe I'm overthinking it," he sighed. He seems to have a very overactive mind, or it is finetuned to certain social cues. As if he constantly reads between the lines of human conversation. He didn't want to seem strange to a couple of new people, so he retracted slightly, however he hadn't needed to. It looks as though Horikita, Kanera and myself were of one mind. Something with this 'S System' was certainly strange. Only time would reveal the answer. As if to confirm my agreement, Horikita replied.

"No, you may be right," agreed Horikita. "100,000 points is too much preferential treatment. Just because we were accepted here seems like a stretch. I'm slightly impressed, Kanera-kun."

Horikita glanced at me as if calling me stupid for not noticing. This girl can be so rude. I felt the same way as them. We barely know anything about the school and this system seems way too under explained. It was a veil of mystery that we would have to uncover.

"Everyone, can you please listen to me for a moment?"

A student with the air of an upstanding young man quickly raised his hand. He looked like an honours student.

"Starting today, we're all going to be classmates. Therefore, I think it'd be good for us to introduce ourselves and become friends as soon as possible. What do you say?"

Wow, this guy was impressive, like a real-life hero.

"My name's Hirata Yousuke. Back in junior high, lots of people called me Yousuke. Feel free to use my first name! I guess my hobby is sports in general, but I especially like soccer. I'm planning on playing soccer here, too. Nice to meet you!"

Surely, this guy would shoot to the top of the class hierarchy. Instantly taking control and leading us into a less awkward atmosphere. I had to hand it to him, what a star! The girl beside him seems to be absolutely smitten. I wondered if he would keep the class safe and sound until graduation.

"Well then, I'd like everyone to introduce themselves starting from the front. Is that okay?"

So began the student introductions of Class D. Many survived through their introduction with no hassle. Some were slightly nervous, whilst others had confidence and indulged in false bravado to raise their likability. The only one to nearly fumble fully was soothed by a cheery girl who later introduced herself as Kushida Kikyou. As I watched her sit down again on the far-right side of the room I spotted Kanera in my peripherals slightly narrow his eyes. Will have to ask about that later.

A few more introductions later and we reached our first roadblock. He immediately scowled at Hirata, yelled a couple intelligible words and stormed out of the door. His reaction must have broken the dam as a couple more including Horikita walked out after him. Horikita briefly glanced at Kanera and I before walking straight out of the classroom.

After the dismal performances of Ike Kanji and Yamauchi Haruki, we suffered a long-winded display of self-confidence in the form of Kouenji Rokusuke. A guy to clear steer of, that's for sure.

Eventually Hirata's eye fell onto my new acquaintance Kanera. Good luck, I wish you all the luck in the world.

As Kanera stood up, most of the audience glanced at his left hand before returning to his face. I was unable to see whilst talking earlier with him, but on the end of his rolled-up sleeves was a black fingerless compression glove on his left hand. A completely unordinary observation was made by the entire class. Although it weirdly was quite a good style on him. Some of the girls must have thought so as their eyes studied him from the glove all the way to the identical coloured jet-black hair.

"Kanera Beru, pleased to meet you all! I suppose my efforts also lead in sports as well, Hirata. I hope we become good teammates in the future. Everyone else, I'll be in your care."

Who was this guy? His introduction was impressive, and the consensus thought so as well. Making connections with an already 'class favourite' plus speaking in clear and concise terms to the majority. He has jumped the hierarchy to sit just below Hirata I assume. Thanks, that'll be easy to follow. Hirata's eyes locked onto me.

"Um. Well, my name is Ayanokouji Kiyotaka. And, uh, I don't really have any special skills or anything. I'll do my best to get along with all of you. It's, uh, nice to meet you."

Well? Was that my introduction?

I'd failed! I instinctively buried my head in my hands. It was the worst possible intro. It didn't attract attention, and absolutely no one would remember it. That is, no one except the boy sitting in front of me, beaming as if I was his most treasured companion.

I think I've unconsciously picked up a friend, and that made me feel kind of glad.

---

So that's anpther chapter! I hope you guys have enjoyed so far. Firstly I want to mention that this chapter is from Kiyo's POV which I assume everyone had noticed. I'm not the biggest fan of titling POV changes so I'll leave them out like in the actual novels. Also other character may end up having First Person POV for the story howevery it will manily be from Kanera Beru so don't stress. Kiyo will also get a couple here and there.

Second point is about this chapter and mayber some others in the future. You'll notice that this follows canon pretty well so I used close to the same readings as the novel. I don't want to copy and paste ever but try and go over information the most precise way possible. Let me know what you think!

Thanks!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1M 43.2K 51
Being a single dad is difficult. Being a Formula 1 driver is also tricky. Charles Leclerc is living both situations and it's hard, especially since h...
582K 35.5K 100
Kira Kokoa was a completely normal girl... At least that's what she wants you to believe. A brilliant mind-reader that's been masquerading as quirkle...
902K 41.4K 175
𝒊𝒏 𝒘𝒉𝒊𝒄𝒉 the boy who lived falls for the girl who had no one
235K 5.8K 52
⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯ જ⁀➴ 𝐅𝐄𝐄𝐋𝐒 𝐋𝐈𝐊𝐄 .ᐟ ❛ & i need you sometimes, we'll be alright. ❜ IN WHICH; kate martin's crush on the basketball photographer is...