Given Time

Da KWardBooks

As kids, Leah and Tanner hated each other. To this day, they still do. Tanner Cole is tall, dark, tattooed, a... Altro

Author's Note
♡1♡
♡2♡
♡3♡
♡4♡
♡5♡
♡6♡
♡7♡
♡8♡
♡9♡
♡10♡
♡11♡
♡12♡
♡13♡
♡14♡
♡15♡
♡16♡
♡17♡
♡18♡
♡19♡
♡20♡
♡21♡
♡22♡
♡23♡
♡24♡
♡25♡
♡26♡
♡27♡
♡28♡
♡29♡
♡30♡
♡31♡
♡32♡
♡33♡
♡34♡
♡35♡
♡36♡
♡37♡
♡38♡
♡39♡
♡40♡
♡41♡
♡42♡
♡43♡
♡45♡
♡46♡
♡47♡
♡48♡
♡49♡
♡50♡
♡51♡
♡52♡
♡53♡
♡Epilogue♡

♡44♡

40.1K 886 113
Da KWardBooks

Thankfully, the next day is the fourth Thursday of November, making it Thanksgiving. Because of this, there is no college and zero chances of running into Chloe. I end up spending the four-day break with Tanner at his place as Zara, Jake, and Ben head home to celebrate the holiday with their families. I'm able to relax a bit and enjoy my first festive holiday with him, along with Tanner's remaining fraternity brothers who were unable to go home too. Despite it being a busy house, I find myself having fun and build closer friendships with the guys.

Though when Monday comes around and we head back to college for our last two weeks of classes and examinations before Christmas break, Tanner becomes fiercely protective of me. Maybe even a little too protective.

I understand why he went to the dean about Chloe harassing us, because then it can go on her record in case she tries anything else, but I don't get why he refuses to let me walk around the campus alone.

I've told him gently a few times that I'll be perfectly fine walking by myself, but even after my reassurances, he still worries. I think this is partly a result of what has just happened with Shawn, and he's trying to prevent me from getting hurt any further.

Even though I fear that Tanner is taking too much on and should focus more on his studying and training than me, a part of me is grateful to have him so close. It's kind of ironic how only a week ago he was physically distant from me, and now he's more loving than ever. He kisses every worry away and can barely keep his hands off me when we're alone. Selfishly, I sometimes hate the day that this will end.

Zara and Ben have also taken her warning seriously and stick with me when we're on campus as much as they can when Tanner's not around. I told them it isn't necessary for them to do this and to ignore Tanner's request, yet they agree with his extremities. So, either they're all overreacting, or I'm not reacting enough.

After sticking with me after our last class ends for the term, Ben and I go to a nearby café to grab some food before we head to the Oakland arena to watch Tanner's team play against Oregon.

So far, they've only lost one game out of three, which is good. However, Tanner's told me that the Oregon team are hard to beat and that they won the match last year when he played.

When we sit down at the table, I suggest texting Zara to see if she wants to join us, but Ben stops me and takes my phone out of my hands, and places it on the table.

"I texted her on the way here. She said she's busy."

I tilt my head to the side. I've been with Ben since our last class, and I never saw him use his phone. Not even once. "Okay," I say unconvincingly.

Why wouldn't Ben want Zara to join us? They haven't fallen out, have they? Ben pops his neck nervously and then picks up his burger and takes a huge bite out of it.

I question if he's done this so he can't answer any follow-up questions, but then shake my head, thinking how absurd I'm sounding. Why would Ben possibly lie to me about that? I let go of this thought and enjoy the rest of my meal with him.

When Ben heads to the restroom after he finishes eating, I type a message out on my phone to Zara to let her know we're ready to head to the game.

Me: Me and Ben are about to head to the arena. Where do you want us to pick you up?

Three small dots appear on my phone and a message soon follows.

Zara: Don't worry about giving me a lift there. I'm with Jake and he said he'll drive us.

Hmm. Maybe that's why Zara was busy. Because she was having some alone time with him.

Me: Okay. We'll see you there.

As Ben and I drive toward the arena, I bring up the weekend. "So, what are you doing on your days off?"

Ben shrugs and turns the wheel right on the road. "Nothing, really. Besides revising for our exams, I thought I'd just chill."

Excellent! I haven't done anything with Ben for a while, and he's been wanting to see this new Tom Hanks war movie for ages. I'd invite Zara too, but she's going back home for the weekend. And I won't invite Tanner because I don't want Ben to feel like he's the third wheel. It'll be nice to do something with just him before the holidays. I smile and bring up the idea. "Why don't we do something? We could go watch Tom Hanks on the big screen. It'll be a nice breather from all the revising we've been doing."

"I, er, can't."

Why can't he see it? My brow furrows, and I study him as he drives. "Are you going to see it with someone else? If so, we can do something else."

I think for a second about what else we can do. "What about going to the gym or going for ice cream or something?"

"That, um, sounds cool. But I think it's meant to rain all weekend."

I frown. All the options I've said are indoors, so the rain shouldn't be deterring him. Besides, it's not supposed to rain over the next two days.

"The weather's going to be fine. I saw the weather report today, and it's meant to be warm."

"Oh." He bites cheek and tightens his grip on the steering wheel. "Still, let's wait until next weekend."

Okay, so he's definitely blowing me off. But why? It can't just be down to him wanting to study as we've managed to do other things in the past when we have deadlines and tests. I'm quiet as I try to figure out that answer. When it comes to me, I sigh as I realize why he doesn't want to spend any more time with me. Thanks to what's going on with Chloe, Ben's practically been acting as a bodyguard all week. Of course he wants some breathing space from me. I put on a brave face, trying to hide my disappointment. "Don't worry about it. I get that it's been a long week. Next weekend sounds perfect."

Ben takes his eyes off the road and gives me a reassuring look. "No, Leah. It's not that I don't want to spend any time with you."

He releases a nervous laugh. "I shouldn't even be telling you this, but Tanner's surprising you with a weekend getaway. That's why we should do something next weekend."

I'm relieved that I interpreted his rejections wrong. And I'm also pleasantly surprised that Tanner is doing this for me. It'll be our first mini-break away alone as a couple. No stress, no parents, no friends, and no distractions. "Really?!"

He smiles which makes his dimple show through. "Yeah. I've sort of ruined the surprise, though."

"Don't worry. I won't say anything." I squeal and practically jump in my seat. "I can't wait. Do you know where he's taking me?"

He shakes his head, his curls bouncing as he does this. "Sorry, no." He releases a quick laugh. "It's probably a good thing I don't because I'd have most likely told you."

I don't really care about the location because I know that I'll have an amazing time with him wherever we are. "Hang on. What about my clothes and makeup and all that? I can't go away without them."

Ben reassures me. "Zara's got it sorted. She's at yours packing you a bag. It's why she couldn't join us for dinner. The plan was for me to keep you out until the game, so you suspected nothing."

"Oh!" Wow. I feel really guilty now. "I'm sorry."

"It's fine. I'm just glad you're happy. You're both in need of a good break together."

It sucks that I won't be able to spend part of the weekend with Ben. Yet he's right when he said Tanner and I need a break. These last few weeks have been so turbulent. What with finding out about Shawn cheating on me and having a baby come from it. And then with Chloe not getting the message of leaving us alone. Our exes sure have been a pain in our asses.

I'm even more eager now to make it to the arena because the sooner the game starts, the sooner it will end, and I can start my weekend earlier with Tanner. I pull on Ben's hand when we get out of the car, meeting other groups of people on the path as they head inside the arena. It's funny how some people take this sport so seriously. While some are only wearing the Berkeley jersey, others have painted their faces yellow and blue and are carrying flags and inflatable hockey sticks with them.

You can really feel the energy when you get into the arena as everyone is cheering and talking loudly over one another. Ben leads me through the throng of spectators, and we head up three levels to get to our seats. When we arrive at our level, I see Zara has already beat us here. I focus on composing myself, so she doesn't suspect I know about the surprise. I don't want her or Tanner to realize I have knowledge of it because they've been working this hard to keep it a surprise. We take our seats, with me sitting next to Zara. I subtly look down to see the bag filled with my belongings, yet there's nothing there. Hmm. Maybe she's already given it to Tanner.

A few minutes later, Jake joins us and sits on the other side of Zara, giving her a long kiss when he sits down. We don't have to wait long until all the players make it out onto the ice. They spend a bit of time skating and then take their positions. The referee skates to the center of the ice to drop the puck in between the two opposing players. A scrap for the puck quickly ensues, and Oregon wins the puck and has the advantage of the game.

By the first period, Oregon is up by two, and I can see what Tanner means when he said they're a hard team to beat. They're so fast and play brutally. Already two of their players have been thrown in the box for a time-out.

Ben quietly suggests that they may bring it back while Jake swears loudly, having made a large bet for Berkeley to win. Both Ben and I laugh when Zara tells him it's his fault for gambling anyway.

When the players come back on the ice and play the second period, our hopes are quickly dashed at winning as Oregon score two more goals, putting Berkeley behind by four. Tanner manages to put the puck in the net once towards the end of the game, but it's not enough. The buzzer rings, and the other side of the stadium erupts in cheering and applause as they celebrate Oregon winning. You can feel the energy deplete on our side, and there's a few cussing and throwing fists in the air as the reality of the game sets in for them. Especially on Jake's part. I am gutted for our team, but now that the games over, it won't be long until I get to be with Tanner.

When the arena has fewer people in it, we all head outside to the parking lot to wait for him. As we stand here, Zara brings up talks of heading back to the fraternity house as a pretense to keep me off the scent a little longer. I feel a little guilty for not fessing up, but I think she'd be unhappy if she knew the truth.

As soon as Tanner comes out of the exit doors and makes his way to his car, I throw my arms around him and console him for losing the game. I feel droplets of water hitting my top as they run off his damp hair from the quick shower he had. He eventually pulls back and kisses me tenderly. "Don't worry about it. I was kind of expecting it."

The others are quick to show solace, and Jake jokingly hits Tanner's arm, telling him he cost him fifty bucks. However, as soon as Zara hears how much he lost, she thumps Jake for real and swears at him. "Right, now that you've learned never to bet that much again, shall we head back to the house? I'm ready for some shots."

"Sure," I agree as innocently as I can as the others agree too.

I catch Ben giving me a sly wink, and it takes all I have in me not to burst out laughing or jump with joy.

"Awesome. Leah, you drive with Tanner. It'll give him some company, so he doesn't mope about losing on the drive back," Zara instructs.

I simply nod, afraid to speak in case I give it away. While Ben takes off in his car and Jake waits in his own for Zara, she makes her way round to me and hugs me.

"I'll see you soon." She pulls back and smiles happily. "This is going to be an amazing night. I can feel it."

I return her enthusiasm and give her another quick hug, seeing the hidden meaning in her words. "I sure hope so. And I just want to say thank you for looking out for me this week. You've made things a lot easier for me."

"What are friends for?" Zara replies softly.

We separate and get into our separate cars. Tanner's turned the heating on inside so it's warm when I make it into the seat. He kisses me twice and then pulls out of the space. "Are you ready?" he asks.

"More than ready."

What do you think of Tanner whisking Leah away? Do you think this is the special moment between the two of them?

Thank you for reading! Please vote ⭐ and comment ❤️. These little stars mean a lot.

xoxo

Continua a leggere

Ti piacerà anche

191K 3.7K 29
When Bree moves to a new school, the last thing she expects is to bump into an old friend. But her friend has changed, into a cold, badass player who...
3.8M 115K 44
He stares right at me, "You eat like a pig." "You look like a pig." I rolled my eyes, continuing to eat. "A pretty damn sexy pig." He winked. "You m...
New Love Da Cole Hazel

Storie d'amore

10K 376 51
We all remember that first love. The one who we fell head over heels in love with who also destroyed us. When Emily meets Jay on her first day at the...
83.5K 1.3K 46
Savannah falls in love with her next door neighbour, her housemate and her brothers friend. Their relationship is a secret. How will she react when s...