The Last of Its Kind [AoT]

By WhatADrag6

A child forced to live life on the streets until the unprecedented calamity that claimed many lives and left... More

II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
XI
XII
XIII
XIV
XV
XVI
XVII
XVIII
XIX
XX
XXI
XXII
XXIII
XXIV
XXV
XXVI
XXVII
XXVIII
XXIX
XXX
XXXI
XXXII
XXXIII
XXXIV
XXXV
XXXVI
XXXVII
XXXVIII
XXXIX
XL
XLI
XLII
XLIII
XLIV
XLV
XLVI
XLVII
XLVIII
XLIX
L
LI
LII
LIII
LIV
LV
LVI
LVII
LVIII
LIX
LX
LXI
LXII
LXIII
LXIV
LXV
LXVI
LXVII
LXVIII
LXIX

I

18.3K 364 427
By WhatADrag6

A little girl almost the age of 8 years old quickly ran through the streets. Her long white hair drifted behind her as she ran. She had no where in mind. All she knew was that she needed to get far away. As far from that place as possible. And never return.

Her eyes were dull and lifeless as she continued running. They were like hollow rubys that have been covered with a thick film to dull their shine. One look and you could tell by her features that she was one of a kind, a foreigner to them.

The little girl turned around to make sure no one was following her. She had failed to notice a man who turned the corner only to bump into the man.

The small girl fell to the ground before looking up. A stoic man looked down at her, but the thing that caught her eye was the uniform and gear he wore.

The man glanced down at the girl before seeing her state. The first thing he noticed was white stained in red. Her body was caked in it staining her pale skin. "Hey, kid. You okay?" The man asked catching the girl's attention as she looked back up.

She slowly began to step back like a an animal trying to tread lightly due to fear. Her face remained stoic. The man reached out for her only for her to bolt away from him.

The man looked down to see the blood had stained his uniform. He huffed in annoyance. He debated on whether he should bother or not before going with the right thing. "Damn it." The man followed after the tiny girl wanting to make sure she was safe.

A tiny girl running through the streets in the middle of the night with that much blood was a concerning sight.

The girl continued to run as fast as she could. She came to a dead end and glanced around for any escape. She finally spotted a pile of boxes.

She climbed on the boxes before using hanging laundry to climb up to a roof. The girl quickly jumped from roof to roof before stopping once she reached the tallest building.

She paused in momentary shock at the sight. She felt free and weightless. The wind blew through her matted hair as her mouth opened slightly, the feeling of serenity whelmed her.

That changed when she heard a voice of a man. "You're a hard one to track down. You got some skills, tiny little runt." The girl looked over before automatically growing defensive.

Her hands were raised in fists as she glared at the man. The man raised an eyebrow at her strange behavior. She was cautious and quick to go into defense.

A strange behavior for a child. Not to mention that this little girl looked fragile. Probably couldn't even harm a fly no matter how hard she tried. Yet, she still rose her fists despite her figure. He sighed before putting his hands up.

"Calm down, runt. I'm not going to hurt you. I just want to make sure you're okay. You're covered in blood." The man said stoically.

The girl pressed her lips together firmly as her eyebrows knitted together as she stared at the man with lifeless eyes almost like a doll.

Blood aside, the child was dirty, her lips chapped, and malnourished. The girl opened her mouth to speak. Her voice was devoid of emotions as she spoke three chilling words he never expected her to say.

"It's not mine." Her voice was soft but cold.

He raised an eyebrow at her statement. "Let's get you down. I'm not going to hurt you." The man said as he grabbed the small girl. She grew tense under his hold. He used his gear to land on the ground letting the girl go.

He noted how light she was and how boney she felt in his hold. There wasn't even any muscles to the girl. She was nothing but skin and bones.

"So why is it that you're covered in someone else's blood?" The man questioned.

The little girl glanced to the side trying to come up with something, an excuse maybe, a response nonetheless. The man observed the girl waiting for her response. Thinking she would just make up an excuse like kids her age do, he was suprised to hear her blunt response.

"I had to do what I had to do." The girl said not making an excuse, but it was true. She managed to evade answering the whole truth.

The man glanced at the girl knowing that she was struggling. There were a lot of children out there who struggle. Hell, even adults were.

He reached into his pocket causing the girl to step back wearily. The man glanced at the girl seeing her movements.

"Relax, puny. I already told you, that I'm not going to hurt you. Here." The man pulled a protein bar from his pocket holding it out for the girl.

The little girl blinked looking at the item in his hand. "What is it?" The girl asked still emotionless.

The man stopped from rolling his eyes at this uneducated child. "A protein bar. Food just take it and eat it. You're too tiny. You'll just get stepped on if you don't get any muscle." The man said stoically.

The girl looked at the man then back to the bar, and then back to him. "Just take it. It's not poison." The girl reluctantly grabbed it before opening the package. She took a bite before engulfing the rest.

The man observed the girl. His theory proved right as he saw her devour the entire bar. She had been starving. She was cautious... way too cautious for a child this young. The man then pulled out another one handing it to the child.

Unfortunately, there was nothing else he could do at the moment. This was just how life was, if you're not strong you'll never be able to survive. The rest was up to her. Whether she chooses to survive is all up to her. It was her fight not his.

"Make that food last. I have to leave. Clean yourself of that blood before you raise suspicion." The man said as he turned walking away.

The girl nodded as the wind carried her soft voice. "Thank you, sir."

The man clicked his tongue. At least she had manners. She wasn't as savage as he originally thought.

Little did they know that fate would eventually make them meet again.

...

A girl with long white hair sat against a tree before she heard the commotion. "Kyra! See Mikasa, I told you she would be here!" A brunette haired boy shouted smugly. A girl with long black hair wearing a red scarf rolled her eyes at the boy.

"That's because she's always here, Eren." The girl said before greeting Kyra as Eren pulled at her hand to get her up. Kyra huffed at his rambunctious tenacity.

The girl stood up before helping to gather wood with the other two children.

"We should probably get back." Mikasa said as Kyra nodded in agreement as they started walking down the path.

"Do me a favor. Don't tell anyone I was crying." Eren said.

Kyra rolled her eyes at the boy staying silent.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah, still though. You don't even remember why? Might want to have your dad look into it." Mikasa suggested.

Kyra remained silent as she heard Eren retort.

"Right, 'cause tearing up is usually a medical thing."

Kyra rolled her eyes at the boy. "Somebody messin' with you?" A tispy blonde haired man asked causing the boy to look up.

Kyra's nose scrunched smelling the liquor almost like he bathed himself in it.

"Hey, Mr. Hannes." Eren greeted as Hannes bent down with his hands on his hips.

"Or did you just get on Mikasa's bad side?" The man questioned.

"No! What are you even talking about?" Eren shouted out before covering his nose.

"Ugh! You smell like a tavern!" Eren exclaimed in disgust.

Laughing could be heard from in front of the children causing Kyra to lean over and glance at the soldiers. "If only tears were cups of ale."

"Of course." Eren muttered with exasperation as he stared at the slothly soldiers.

"You kids care for a swig?" Hannes asked causing Eren to glance up at Hannes.

"Aren't you, uh, on watch?" Eren questioned.

Hannes patted his chest with a thud, "Yup! Watchin' the ol' gate we are."

Kyra stared out blankly as she walked to one of the soldiers before looking at the cards. She observed the game before quietly, whispering to the man.

The man smirked as he gave her a loaf of bread in return for the information. A soldier across from them pointed at the two.

"Hey! You two better not be cheating! What are you whispering to him, Lil' Ky?!" The girl glanced over at the man dully.

"No, I was just asking for a slice of bread." The soft voice spoke out.

The man stopped pointing as he looked at the tiny girl. His face seemed to fall slightly. "Right, in that case have mine too, Kyra. Yeah, and while you're at it take some of this meat. Such a tiny little thing." The man said gently as he held out his loaf of bread and half a pound of meat.

Kyra nodded, "Thank you, kindly." The girl replied.

Kyra stopped as she heard Eren and Hannes conversation about the titans. Kyra stared blankly up at the sky. If only you knew. If only.

...

The three continued walking on the path as Mikasa spoke up, "Eren. You should let the Scout Regiment thing go."

Eren gasped his eyes wide as he turned to Mikasa. "Seriously? Why does everyone think they're a joke?"

"What people think about 'em isn't really the issue." Mikasa said.

The children stopped walking as they heard the bells chime. Those bells rang to signify the return of the Scouts coming back after an expedition.

"Perfect timing! They're back! We can make it if we hurry. Get a move on! I want a good view!" Eren immediately perked up and he exclaimed.

Kyra gave a small huff as she followed after the boy with Mikasa.

Eren jumped over people trying to get a good look past the crowd tht had gathered. "Argh. Can't see squat." Eren complained.

Kyra jumped up on a box before motioning to Eren. She stated blankly at the parade of beaten and battered men.

"Sure, have taken a hit, haven't they?" A man commented.

"Yeah. Rest of 'em got eaten. That's what happens when pride takes you outside the walls." Another man scoffed out.

Kyra stared at the back of the men's heads. No you've just grown complacent. But still...

Her attention turned to a woman who cried out calling for her son. "Moses? Moses?" She walked up to a man stopping him. "Beg your pardon. Where is my son? He should be with you all. Oh, please tell me he made it!" The woman asked frantically as she grabbed on to the man.

"I wish I had better news. Give it to her."

A bundle wrapped in a bloodied cloth was placed in her arms. She unwrapped it before gasping as she quickly covered it. The sounds of her weeping could be heard.

And that's the truth of the world we live in. The cold, harsh, and unforgivable truth. Death surrounds us more than we think. Always there, always stagnant, always merciless, and spiteful. Death does not discriminate and will one day come for us all. It's just a matter of when.

"I'm sorry. It's all that is left of him." A man apologized. She fell to the ground sobbing as she clutched the bloody cloth tighter.

"He--He did good, yes? He was brave? Tell me my son stood his ground to the bitter end. That his death meant something! Tell me his sacrifice gave us a better chance!" The woman pleaded out with a shout.

"He was brave! But. His sacrifice meant nothing. So with all our losses. It's ever the same." The man said before kneeling down.

"The day was lost! We have nothing! Your son died because of me! I sent him to his death! I sent all of them to their deaths! And there's nothing to show for it! All of it amounts to nothing!" The man shouted out in grievance.

Kyra watched as the Scouts began walking again. "Uplifting, huh." A man scoffed out.

"Oh, sure. Nothing like seeing our hard-earned taxes go toward keeping those bastards fat and happy on human gristle." A man commented.

Kyra watched as Eren took a stick and hit the man over the head as he growled. The man turned around holding his head, "You little punk!" The man yelled.

Kyra turned to Mikasa putting the wood in her holder, "Mikasa take Eren and run. I'll met up with you." Mikasa nodded before grabbing Eren.

Kyra jumped off the box as she kicked the man in the face hard. He fell to the ground with a groan. She then kicked the other two as she stared coldly at them. "Be grateful there's people willing to risk their lives for your own."

She jumped onto the roof before running. "Hey! Get back here!" The three yelled out attempting to chase her from the ground.

Kyra ran jumping to another roof finally losing them. She stopped as she looked around observing the Shiganshina District. Her eyes narrowed as she heard something.

She quickly leapt to another roof before spotting Armin getting bullied. Kyra dropped to the ground gracefully behind the three as she swiped the feet of one of them and flipped the other teen over onto his back.

"Shit! Where the hell did you come from?" The teen yelled before growling. "Fine, I'll take you on! Ain't nothing, but a pipsqueak!" He said as Kyra stared at the boy blankly.

"Back off!" Eren yelled running after them. Kyra watched as Mikasa came running behind him.

"Oh shit! She's with him!" One yelled out.

"We'll get our asses kicked by both of 'em!" The other yelled out before running off as the two followed scampering behind.

Kyra looked to Armin before helping him up. "Thank you Kyra." Armin said softly.

Kyra glanced at the boy before nodding, "Are you okay?" She asked examining his wounds only to see a couple of bruises.

"Yes. It would've been worse if you hadn't shown up." Kyra nodded as Eren arrived.

"Heh-heh. That's all it takes. One look. I'm just that scary." Eren laughed out.

"Yes, maybe you should actually look at your reflection every once in a while." Kyra said stoically.

Eren glanced at her, "Hey! Stop goin' around and stealing my thunder!" He shouted at the girl.

"Unfortunately, for you, you see lightning before you hear thunder." The girl replied.

Eren huffed before turning to look at Armin. "Well, two of you are." Armin commented.

He whimpered in pain as tears welled up in his eyes. "Where'd they get you Armin?" Eren asked in concern.

"It's alright. Thank you." He said softly. Kyra let her hold on Armin go as they walked.

...

"Oh, they just heard me rattling on about how mankind's future lay beyond the walls. Doubt they understood half of it, but still." Armin explained.

"Idiots." Eren grunted out as he threw a stone into the water.

"Why's it gotta be this way? Why can't people just let us dream?" Eren vented.

"The walls are a powerful idea. We've survived for a hundred years because of them. No one's keen on tempting fate." Armin explained.

Kyra glanced at Armin before glancing back up at the sky. Not true.

"I may not agree with that sentiment, but I can see where they're coming from. It's human nature, Eren. When all's said and done, the government's policies are a reflection of our fear." Armin explained.

"Yeah, the rest of the herd's maybe. I say to hell with them!" Eren growled out.

"Someone's gonna hear you. Keep it down." Mikasa warned.

"What do I care? You'll rat me out either way." Eren retorted.

"What?" Armin questioned.

Mikasa turned away, "I never promised you anything."

"Your folks know about the Scouts?" Armin questioned.

Kyra turned to look at the two boys.

"Basically. And they're not too pleased." Eren informed.

"Yeah. Big shock." Armin sighed out sarcastically.

"It's sad. What most people are willing to settle for in exchange for some fleeting sense of security, you know? And make no mistake, it absolutely is fleeting. The walls can't hold forever. Only a matter of time." Armin said as he held his knees to his chest.

Kyra looked back up at the sky before her eyes narrowed.

There in the sky was a bolt of lightning. Then a large thunderous tremor shook the entire ground causing the four children to fumble on the ground.

They stood up, "What was that?" Eren questioned.

"I dunno!" Armin said equally confused.

Kyra ran past them in the direction of the lightning as Armin followed.

"Kyra, Armin, what are you doing?" Eren shouted running after the two and Mikasa followed.

Kyra stared at the wall with Armin as Eren ran up to the two.

"Talk to me! What's going on? Some kinda explosion or--?" Eren turned back as his eyes widened and he gasped.

There gripped two gigantic hands on top of the wall. The top of the wall began to crumble under the hands.

"Wow! That's impossible. That wall's over fifty meters high!" Armin said in shock.

"Oh god! It's a titan!" Eren gasped in fear.

Kyra stared at titan as his head looked down at everyone past the wall. Steam was coming from his mouth as it fizzled in to the air.

Kyra shook her head. "I would guess he's about sixty meters tall. But, that's not important. We need to leave, now." Kyra commented.

She turned only to see the three others in shock. "Guys, c'mon. If he manages to take down the gate or the wall then a helluva lot of those Titans will be pouring in." Kyra said.

They stood motionless in fear absolutely petrified. "Get a hold of yourselves! We need to move! Now snap the hell out of it!" Kyra shouted as she moved in front of them.

Kyra clicked her tongue as she started to pull at the three.

"Everyone evacuate, now!" Kyra yelled out unfortunately her shouts landing on deaf ears due to shock.

A loud crash was heard as large chunks of debris flew from the sky. The sounds of panicked screams were heard blending in cohesively with the sounds of buildings crashing around them. The sounds of an ear-piercing disaster unfolding.

Kyra quickly pulled out two knives from her boots and shoving them in her pockets.

"It--It blasted a hole. Like it was kicking a rock." Armin said trembling. That's when unadulterated hell broke loose. As people began screaming and crying.

Kyra knew exactly what it meant. The wall's been breached and the safety of Shiganshina District has been compromised.

"Guys! We need to go. NOW!" Kyra yelled as she tugged the three of them harshly.

Eren pulled out of her grip as he began walking forward.

Kyra glanced back at Armin. "Armin, it'll be all right. Go grab your grandfather and evacuate! We'll meet you on the boat!" Kyra instructed as she quickly took Mikasa and Eren by the hand and ran forward.

"Let's grab your mom and go." Kyra said as she continued running. Eren and Mikasa ran following her.

Kyra glanced over to see a woman and child crying as a man laid dead, crushed by a large boulder.

They turned the corner only to see Eren's house crushed by a huge boulder. "Mom!" Eren screamed out running to the house.

"Mikasa go with him. I'll stand guard!" Kyra called out before climbing a roof. Her eyes glancing all around as she heard the screams.

She remained focused as she watched the people being devoured. One, two... five, six. Not close yet. There's still time.

Kyra stopped as she felt the large foot steps growing closer. She watched as they struggled to move a beam from under his mom.

Kyra glanced over to spot two Abnormals and a regular Titan coming their way. Her eyes narrowed. "GUYS! HURRY UP!" Kyra shouted.

Abnormals move toward heavily populated areas so that isn't the main concern. But, they could get crushed. The regular Titan is the one to be worried about.

"EREN, MIKASA, YOU NEED TO GET OUTTA THERE NOW! Kyra screamed out to the two.

Kyra spotted the Abnormal coming closer. She pulled out her knives clicking her tongue.

She ran across the roof before quickly jumping on to the Abnormal. It's a damn good thing I sharpened my blades today.

Mikasa and Eren both struggled to get his mom free. They stood in fear as they watched the Abnormal.

They heard a shout as Kyra sliced deeply into the nape of the neck. "Tch! And I say to hell with fate! If you think I'm going down by you grotesque dipshits, then think again. I WILL NOT go down without a fight!"

The Abnormal Titan fell down onto a house leaving the three stunned. A figure appeared with blood covering her figure as she gripped two knives. Her eyes could only be described as dangerous.

The blood evaporated into steam as Kyra glanced at the two before noticing his mom's condition.

"K-Kyra, please!" His mom pleaded tearfully.

"I know. Eren we need to go. She's crushed so her spinal cord is likely damaged. She'll be paralyzed! She won't be able to walk and no one will be able to carry her! We have to go!" Kyra said as she walked to Eren pulling him back.

"Wait! No! I won't leave her here! I can't!" Eren shouted out through sobs.

"You have to! There's nothing anyone can do! I know it's hard, but if you don't move we're going to be dead as well." Kyra said calmly as she pulled at Eren more.

"Listen to Kyra! Go! You need to get outta here!" Carla yelled.

Kyra fell to the ground having been shoved by Eren. "What the hell do you know?! You don't have a family! You never even knew your parents!" Eren screamed out.

"Eren!" Carla yelled in disbelief as he shoved the small girl to the ground.

Kyra closed her eyes taking a moment to think. She opened her eyes standing up. She walked over calmly and slapped the boy hard. The boy looked in shock as he held his cheek.

"Stop your damn crying and focus on lifting this on the count of three. If we all die here today, not only will it be three unneeded casualties, but our blood will be on your hands, got it? Now, one, two, three!" Kyra said harshly as she helped them left it.

However it didn't budge. "Again!" Kyra commanded as the three lifted.

Kyra closed her eyes before glancing up to see the other Abnormal.

"Damn it!" Kyra quickly scaled the roof as she eyed the Abnormal. She pulled out her knives again. She waited until she was in a leaping distance. Her eyes narrowed as she ran across the roof and jumping on to the Titan slashing and stabbing through the nape.

She jumped down as Hannes came down towards them. He stopped in shock after seeing a tiny girl take down a large Titan. He glanced over to see the body of another starting to evaporate. She's protecting them. Tiny Little Kyra took down two of them?

He ran at the two other children before bending down to Carla.

He ran to the Titan only to stop in fear. He came running back as he grabbed the three children and ran.

Kyra tuned out the screams of Eren as Hannes carried them out of there. The three children watched as the Titan dug through the pile of rubble and held Carla.

The Titan snapped Carla in half before biting down on her limp body. Kyra watched as the blood splattered all over the vicinity.

Kyra watched the blood paint the ground and citizens alike a distinct red as Hannes continued to run with them in his arms.

That's when we knew. Home was a pen. Humanity, cattle. No matter where we went death surrounded us. Will we truly be free? Will there ever be freedom from outside this prison?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7M 58.2K 74
(Y/n) is a girl who has a passion for going beyond the walls. Getting that breath of air, getting to see the trees and the endless trail of grass. Bu...
6.8K 124 20
The overwhelming power of a human is a lie. She is an angel, with beauty and the strength that resembles one. Save us. Please. "Sometimes, when you'...
after you By jade

Fanfiction

52 6 7
you moved to chicago with your dad to live with your new step and new step brother, you think of this as a fresh new start. you met a boy named eren...
11.3K 167 5
"𝘭𝘦𝘒𝘷𝘦 𝘺𝘰𝘢𝘳 𝘡𝘩π˜ͺ𝘯𝘨𝘴 𝘣𝘦𝘩π˜ͺ𝘯π˜₯, 𝘀𝘒𝘢𝘴𝘦 π˜ͺ𝘡'𝘴 𝘒𝘭𝘭 𝘨𝘰π˜ͺ𝘯𝘨 𝘰𝘧𝘧 𝘸π˜ͺ𝘡𝘩𝘰𝘢𝘡 𝘺𝘰𝘢." Β° πͺ𐑂 β™‘ πͺ𐑂 β‚’ πͺ𐑂 β™‘ πͺ𐑂 Β° boo...