Comfort Me

By MistressErin

National City is basically under siege, with consecutive attacks from both aliens and humans and the DEO and... More

Comfort Me - Chapter 1
Comfort Me Chapter 2
Comfort Me chapter 4
Comfort Me Chapter 5

Comfort Me - Chapter 3

737 21 0
By MistressErin

Lena spent most of her night pacing back and forth, unable to sleep, her head pounding from worry. Alex Danvers finally texted her at dawn, keeping her promise: Kara was all patched up and on her way to recovery.

Lena slumped down on her couch, the pressure that had been building all night in her chest until it ached finally eased, just a little. She debated briefly with herself before she made up her mind and texted back, asking if she could see Kara, hoping that after their earlier conversation, Alex Danvers would authorize her.

Agent Danvers: She's sedated and asleep, and if you come here, she might sense you and won't rest properly. I'll call you tomorrow.

Lena felt bitterly disappointed. She wanted to be close to Kara. Then, something caught her attention.

Lena Luthor: Sense me? How, if she's sedated?

Agent Danvers: She memorizes the heartbeats of the ones she cares about. That's how she always tracks you down so fast.

Lena's heart started beating faster.

Lena Luthor: But she's sedated! Doesn't that dull her senses, her powers?

Lena needed to understand, needed to know more about Kara Danvers, about Supergirl.

This time, Alex Danvers didn't reply right away, almost as if she was considering whether it was safe to reply or not.

Agent Danvers: It does, just like the rest of us, but I know she would still sense you.

Suddenly, it felt as if her heartbeat was thundering in her ears, desperately trying to tell her something she wasn't yet ready to hear.

Lena Luthor: How?

Agent Danvers:  You should ask her. Goodnight, Lena.

Lena stared blankly at her phone for a long time, her mind reeling from what was left unsaid. Eventually, she dozed off on her couch, her phone clutched in her hand, exhaustion finally winning over.

So, it really came as a surprise when a few hours later Alex Danvers called her, wanting to know more about her new project. They talked for a long time and agreed Lena could work with the DEO as an external consultant, with limited access. It was refreshing to realize that underneath all that attitude and bravado, Kara's sister had a brilliant scientific mind. She mused briefly that if Alex Danvers ever could see past her name and give her a chance, they might have interesting conversations.

She was scheduled to go to the DEO headquarters after lunch that day. Alex picked her up and she was thrilled, not only because she finally had the chance to work with them, but mostly because she might see Kara if she asked nicely. Which she did.

Alex rolled her eyes and, after a brief meeting with the DEO's director, J'onn J'onzz, where she signed a bunch of forms and contracts, led her to the med bay. They stopped just a few feet from a glassed room, where a single person occupied a spartan, uncomfortable-looking acrylic table, a bright, yellow panel lingering above the table, covering its full extension.

Kara laid there with her eyes closed, her chest rising and falling steadily. Her Supergirl suit was gone and Lena realized that she was mostly naked, only a pair of dark boxers and sports bra to cover her, and that left very little to the imagination.

"Can I go in? Just for a few minutes?" Lena asked, never taking her eyes off Kara.

"No. She--"

"Please? I won't disturb her, I promise." Lena now turned pleading green eyes on the hapless agent. "Besides, if she can feel my heartbeat, she already knows I'm here."

Alex sighed heavily and turned around to leave.

"Five minutes."

Lena gave her a small smile and rushed inside the glassy room, full of machinery. She recognized some of it, from hospitals and L-Corp's biomed labs, but most of it was completely new and strange to her - probably alien technology. She walked slowly to the unconscious superhero and stared at the exposed body. Aside from the bruises and cuts from her last fight, Kara's body was perfect. Athletic and strong but not overly so. Just... perfect.

"Lena..."

The hoarse sound of her name caught her attention and she realized Kara stirred, her eyes still closed, a small crinkle between her eyes.

Lena slipped her hand into Kara's much warmer one and squeezed gently. "I'm here."

Kara slowly opened her eyes and looked at her dazedly. She managed a small smile and Lena smiled back in reflex.

"That was quite a scare you gave me," Lena said softly.

The crinkle became more pronounced as Lena's words registered in her foggy mind. "Sorry..."

"It's all right. I-- I'm glad you came to me."

"Me too..."

The cut underneath her eye was almost healed, she noticed, and Lena couldn't resist touching her forehead in a gentle caress, slowly tracing the beautiful face and committing to memory every little detail she hadn't notice before.

Kara's eyes fluttered at the touch and she swallowed, goosebumps erupting all over her skin. Funny, she couldn't remember that ever happening before.

"Thanks... For having my back..."

"Always," Lena whispered, a surge of emotion suddenly threatening to overwhelm her. "I... You should rest. I'll be around, helping your team with the portal."

Kara nodded slowly, watching her through half-opened eyes.

"Stay... Just 'till I fall asleep..."

Lena gave her a warm smile, her heart swelling with the uncontrollable feelings she still dared not name.

"Of course." Never letting go of her hand, Lena leaned in and placed a gentle kiss on her forehead, lingering just a little longer than necessary. "Sleep now," she whispered in her ear.

Kara gave her hand a squeeze and sighed, content to comply. Lena stayed like that until she felt Kara's hand go limp in hers, her breathing deepening in slumber. Her forehead was still touching Kara's, inhaling her scent; her left hand tenderly smoothing her hair, her skin. A tender gesture that meant to lull Kara to sleep and soothe her own anxiety.

Kara was alive and safe, that was all that mattered now.

##

That had been two days ago, and now she was working directly with Winn and Alex to find a way to calibrate her brand-new satellite to turn it into a portal shutter, for lack of a better name. She was sure she could come up with a more commercial name once she was finally able to get some proper sleep. She was up for almost 48 hours straight, almost as long as Kara was in and out of consciousness.

Alex had explained that depending on the source of her lack of powers and consequent injuries, her recovery time varied. She should be up and about soon, driving them all crazy with her antics and demanding obnoxious amounts of food.

Lena smiled at the fondness she heard in the agent's voice as she talked about her baby sister. It was clear Alex Danvers loved her sister very much.

But it was maddening, really, not knowing when Kara would wake up if she was all right; if she would even get the chance to talk to her before she was sent out to take care of some distress call. She hadn't been back to the med bay since that day.

She missed her; missed her bright smile, her shining blue eyes, her sunny demeanor, her gentleness, her clumsiness... Lena missed everything about Kara Danvers and that was a scary thought because she never had to deal with that before; she had never felt this way about anyone before.

"How's it going?"

Winn's tired voice pulled her out of her thoughts, as he peered over her shoulder, curiously peeking at the device Lena was working on, while L-Corp's software ran a series of upgrades to calibrate the satellite to its new specifications' settings.

Meanwhile, with Supergirl out of commission, the DEO's agents had tripled the patrols, leaving J'onn, the Guardian, and the intervention teams to deal with the alien scouts. She'd been hearing quite a few of the agents grumbling about Supergirl being hurt, how everything was much easier and safer when she was around.

"It's done." she gave him a tired smile. "I think."

He gave her a genuinely happy smile. "Let's try it," he said, excited. Despite barely sleeping a full night for what seemed forever, Winn was a true nerd at heart and new toys always made him forget about long hours and poor rest.

Lena chuckled at his boyish grin, understanding his excitement quite perfectly.

"Try what?"

The soft voice that came from behind them, made them turn around, surprised.

Behind them, Supergirl was watching them with a curious expression, her arms crossed at her chest and looking positively beautiful to Lena's very tired eyes.

"K-Supergirl!" Winn exclaimed and almost ran to her, to envelop her in a bear hug. "Thank God you're all right..." he mumbled in her ear.

Kara smiled and hugged him back." "Thanks, Winn." she patted his shoulder and he quickly let go of her, feeling embarrassed. Sort of.

He understood Supergirl wouldn't want any public display of affection in front of Lena Luthor; had to keep the superhero 'I'm too tough for my boots' attitude and all that.

Kara gave him a knowing smile and winked imperceptibly at him.

"Miss Luthor," Supergirl gave her a slight nod of her head, as a way of greeting, crossing her arms again.

Lena swallowed, disappointed that she was going to get the cold shoulder after everything that happened between them, but she understood, even if it still hurt. A Super and a Luthor... a wild fantasy indeed.

"Supergirl, I'm glad to see you're back on your feet." Lena returned her attention to her gadget.

Kara turned her head to look at Winn and gave him a meaningful look, silently moving her head towards the door.

Winn frowned at her and mouthed 'What?'

'Leave,' she mouthed back, the crinkle between her eyes more pronounced.

'Oh,' he nodded slowly and quietly made himself scarce.

Kara gave him a thankful smile and silently walked to where Lena fumbled with the gadget.

Lena tensed when she felt a warm, gentle touch on her shoulder. 

"Look at me," Kara pleaded gently.

Lena took a deep breath, squared her shoulders, and turned around. Obliviously, the superhero wanted to thank her and tell her she owed her one, and... She was not prepared for the gentle hug that curled securely around her back and lifted her off her chair.

"Thank you," Kara whispered in her ear, "thank you for taking care of me, for staying with me."

"Anytime..." was all Lena was able to choke out, her throat constricted with emotion.

She wrapped her arms around the superhero and squeezed as hard as she could, needing to feel her close. Kara responded by tightening her hold just a little. She knew by now how much was enough and acceptable without causing physical harm.

"I was so scared for you, Kara..." Lena rested her head on the broad shoulder, her face hiding in the curve of Kara's neck.

Kara's eyes widened slightly, her hold on Lena faltering.

"W-what did you call me?"

Lena sighed, not moving an inch. "I know who you are, Kara. I've known for a while now. I was waiting for you to tell me, but... I understand, I'm a Luthor, but then you got hurt, and I-I just..."

"Oh Lena, please, please don't think that. It's simply not true!" Kara was aghast that Lena still believed she didn't trust her. "I spent all of my life here, on this planet, hiding my identity, my powers... It's second nature to me." Kara pulled her closer again. "I trust you with my life, Lena. I came to you when I was hurting. Doesn't that count for something?"

Lena sniffled, and Kara's heart cracked.

"Lena?"

"I'm sorry, I'm just so used to people not even giving me a chance because of my name that, when it's finally given, it feels unreal."

Kara closed her eyes in sympathy. She could relate to that, in a way. "It's very real, Lena. Please believe it." Kara smoothed her hair in a slow, precise motion. "Please, believe me."

Lena nodded against her shoulder, her eyes closed. "You're not very good at hiding it, you know," Lena mumbled, trying to lighten the mood. She didn't want to cry in Supergirl's arms, in a lab, in the middle of the DEO.

Lena felt the body she was attached to shake with silent laughter. She smiled and snuggled closer. This was the safest place in the universe.

"I'm not a good liar, no," Kara admitted.

"A terrible liar."

Kara nodded, the smile easily heard in her voice. "Simply awful."

But before she could say anything else, Kara heard footsteps approaching and pulled away regretfully. "Alex's coming," she said softly.

Lena nodded and went back to her chair, not daring to look at her, missing the warmth of her safe cocoon immediately.

"So," Kara focused her attention on the device Lena had been working on, "what's that?"

"Ah! That... Well, that's a diving mask that I adapted to--"

"There you are!" Alex stepped inside the lab, a serious look on her face. "I see you're feeling better."

Kara gave her a smirk: Alex had been the one discharging her from med bay.

"I am, thank you," Kara said, slightly amused that Alex still felt the need to act like that around Lena. They had been working together for the past two days and despite making only vague comments about it, Kara could tell that Alex was truly impressed with Lena, and that gave her hope that her sister might eventually warm up to the younger woman.

Alex gave her a curt nod and focused her attention on Lena.

"How's the upgrade going?"

Lena checked the screen in front of her. "70% in. If the patches have no glitches, it should be ready in an hour or so."

"Good, good. And the mask?"

Lena patted the device in front of her, a small smile gracing her face, her upper lip curling just so at the corners. It was the one Kara knew meant she was proud of her accomplishment, in an almost wondrous, childish way. That brought an unconscious smile to her face.

"All done. Best I could do in two days, but we need to test it first." Lena frowned her little proud smile vanishing. "I'm not sure it's working properly. I need to check it for probable flaws. It's just a prototype."

"We might not have the time for that, Lena." Alex knew why she was worried. "We've detected activity in outer space again. We think they're trying to open the portal closer to Earth." she looked at her sister. "You might need to leave soon."

Kara nodded, a grave look on her face.

"Mind filling me in?" Kara gestured to the screen and Lena's prototype.

"Oh, right." Alex scratched her head, finding a chair and letting herself drop on it with a thud. She was bone tired. "Lena's been helping us with the portal issue. She's letting us use L-Corp's satellite to project a beam of energy strong enough to, theoretically, close the portal and prevent them from trying again."

Kara nodded slowly, her eyes flickering between Lena and her sister. "That's great news!" Kara gave Lena one of her 'proud Kara' smiles and Lena flushed a bright red. "So, I'm guessing that's what the upgrades are for."

Lena nodded and cleared her throat, trying to ignore Alex's amused smirk.

"Yes, you're right. Once the upgrades are fully loaded, we can reboot the satellite and it should be ready. We'll probably need to adjust calibration as we go, but it can be done remotely."

Kara watched in fascination as Lena's face animated and transformed completely as she went into the technical details of the software she had developed from scratch. She loved when that happened, because when Lena lost herself in her world, she let herself go, and the wary, cold, defensive CEO capitulated to the true Lena, the one she worked so hard to hide away from prying eyes. But she had let Kara see that side of hers – willing -, and that was such a precious gift.

Kara forced herself to look away from those shiny green eyes and focus on the information Lena was sharing.

"Okay, but from what I can tell, you still can't guarantee that the satellite will hold the trajectory of the beam once it's fired because of the amount of energy needed to shut down the portal. The force of it will leave the satellite unstable and the aim inaccurate."

"Exactly. That's where you come in." It had always amazed Lena that Kara was able to understand and keep up with her nerdy gibberish in their frequent interviews and she had once asked her if had a scientific background. Of course, Kara had stuttered adorably and answered her mother was a scientist, so she had picked on a few things as she grew up. Lena had not been entirely convinced and now she realized Kara probably knew a lot more about science than herself and Alex.

Kara nodded slowly, understanding. "You need me to hold it in place as it fires the beam."

Both Alex and Lena nodded.

"For how long?" Kara turned to Alex. "Alex, you know I can't hold my breath for too long in outer space and I can't thrust my way back down to Earth, and there's no point in me dying from lack of oxygen without at least getting the job done."

Alex winced at her sister's cold logic, sparing a quick glance at Lena's shocked face. She was so used to sweet, awkward Kara, she sometimes forgot that when things got rough, Kara tended to let her Kryptonian heritage take over and analyze everything with cold, detached, and precise logic.

"We should call Superman. He's able to survive in space without oxygen. I've yet to develop that particular skill..."

Something in her voice told them she was not happy that her cousin would have to take over because she wasn't skilled enough.

"Well, it's one the choices we've considered, yes, but--" Alex stopped herself. She had to tread carefully here. She had to be honest, practical, and still make sure she could boost Kara's usually well-concealed lack of self-confidence. "Superman can survive in space for longer than you but not for much longer and we can't, and won't, rely on him."

Kara frowned, shifting a little so she could face Alex fully, and crossed her arms, in a clearly defensive stance, her eyes serious.

"Why the hell not?"

"Because he's up to his eyeballs with alien scouts trying to neutralize him and level Metropolis. We've already sent two teams to Metropolis to help the local forces handle everything else." Alex answered, unfazed by Kara's sudden display of attitude. "And because National City doesn't need another hero. It has its own and she's doing a great job so far as I'm concerned."

That seemed to do the trick and Lena watched in fascination as Kara flushed and, apparently, returned to her peaceful self. There was so much more to this woman than met the eye and Lena want to know all of it.

"Besides, we have a plan." Alex went on and pointed to Lena's gadget. "Lena?"

"Right." Lena took the mask and held it up to Kara. "It's very similar to a diving mask, but I adapted it to sustain the low pressure of space."

Lena attached a small canister to the mask and then attached the mask to a sort of container, no bigger than a school bag.

"Alex told me about what happened when you flew the Myriad into space, so that, of course, poses a problem, but nothing we can't handle." Lena got up from her chair, becoming animated again. "I need you to take your cape off."

Kara blinked at her, but complied without a second thought, taking her cape off and throwing it at Alex without looking at her.

Alex caught it deftly, slowly shaking her head at Kara's blind trust in Lena Luthor. She watched as Lena attached the apparel at Kara's back, tightening it securely around Kara's torso and waist, the mask securely attached at the back of her left shoulder.

"I needed more time to work on this..." Lena mumbled as she attached the prototype to Kara's body, trying to focus on having everything properly secured and not the sweet scent of her.

"I'm sure it will work just fine," Kara said softly, her eyes trusting.

Lena gave her a tentative smile and took a step back. "Okay, basically this is an oxygen mask for outer space and a propulsor. Once you reach space, it will allow you to float quickly to the satellite and once you can no longer hold your breath, you can use the mask to help you breathe and once the portal is closed, you'll use the propulsor to get back to Earth."

Between the frequent interviews that usually ended in casual conversations and the coffee dates she enjoyed so much, Kara was sure she had a pretty good grasp of Lena's voice nuances, all that was said by the tone of her voice alone, and right now she could tell Lena was more than worried.

"Lena," Kara said softly, her hand touching the tense shoulder of the CEO, "what's wrong?"

"It's not tested," Lena replied just as softly, "and as agent Danvers pointed out, we might not have the time to test it properly. I'm confident the propulsor will work properly, but the oxygen... It's a small canister. It's not yet prepared to take more than that. It will probably give you 20 extra minutes, top. Maybe less if you exert yourself or if you have to fight them off--"

"--and then can I hold my breath once again and hold on for a few more minutes." Kara touched her other shoulder and gave her a sincere smile. "You're giving me a chance I didn't think I'd have. Thank you."

Lena cleared her throat, trying to regain her composure, very aware of Alex's Danvers presence.

"I'm not sure it will be enough to keep you alive," she said, willing her voice to sound strong and normal. This was a life and death situation. The safety, the future of mankind was in this superhero's hands. In war, sacrifices often had to be made - her mother taught her that -, lives would be lost for the greater good, but Lena selfishly refused to lose Kara Danvers to save humanity. She could live to fight another day. "If you lose consciousness before you can thrust yourself down to Earth..."

Kara nodded, her signature crinkle back where it belonged. "I'm well aware of the risks, Lena, but I was sent to Earth to protect it and I will do so with my dying breath if that's what it takes."

Kara slowly let go of Lena's shoulders, letting her hands touch the length of her arms until they fell completely to her side. Her frown deepened, and she looked at Alex's impassive face, easily reading the emotions no one else could.

"Can't... Can't you remotely control the propulsor? Like the rovers we send to explore planets?" Kara looked from Alex to Lena, hopeful.

Lena and Alex looked at each other as if having a silent conversation. Apparently, a decision was reached because they both nodded at the same time and Alex jumped to her feet, grabbed Kara's face between her hands, and kissed her forehead.

"You're a genius."

"I am?" a silly smile already forming.

Alex nodded, grinning. "We can quickly build a small circuit to control it remotely and I'll have J'onn on standby to catch you if you're unconscious when you enter the Earth's atmosphere. I'll go fetch Winn."

Kara was still smiling when she turned to Lena, but her smile faltered when she looked at her, the look on her face a mixture of emotions. She straightened, self-conscious.

"What?"

Lena's hand reached out to touch her face, but retracted at the last second, instead shifting to unlock the apparel from Kara's back. "It never crossed my mind to have the propulsor remotely controlled."

"You can't think of everything, Lena."

"I should."

"You're exhausted, Lena. Alex told me you've been working on this nonstop since you got here. You can't--"

"Since I took over L-Corp, I learned I have to constantly be on my toes, constantly look out for flaws, for everything that could go wrong and solutions that no one else thinks of, and if I'm not paying attention, no one else will; no one else will care." Lena unlocked the last belt and removed the apparel from her back. "I should've thought of it."

"That's what teams are for, Lena so that you don't have to shoulder all responsibility, so you have someone to brainstorm, to talk things through, to help achieve the common goal." Kara touched her face and gently forced her chin up, so she could see her eyes. "And I'm so very glad to have you on my team."

Lena shifted closer, drawn by those clear blue eyes like a moth to a fire, her heart thundering in her chest.

A loud cough sounded very close by and the moment was broken. "I hear we have a prototype to pimp?"

Kara nodded and pulled her hand away, her eyes still locked on Lena's. "I'll leave you to it."

Winn watched her leave the lab and awkwardly peeked at the obviously flustered scientist. He knew he had interrupted something between them, but Alex told him to start immediately, no delays, or she'd send him to the frontline if things went astray, and he believed her.

"I can build the circuit if you want to write the software."

"Sure," Lena said and forced a smile, heading back to her computer.

Kara's job was to keep the world safe, but it was her mission from now on to keep her safe.

##

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

266K 6.3K 30
Lena discovers she has deep feeling for kara. But will she get the chance to tell her. Kara is protecting Lena and she gets badly hurt. What will hap...
6.9K 209 22
Kara Danvers also known as supergirl fights to save her true love. Lena on the other hand is still angry with Kara for lying to her. This creates dis...
2K 16 20
When a pipe bursts in Kara's apartment she is forced to move into her girlfriend of only a month's apartment temporarily but things take a turn when...
415K 13.8K 38
Trailer for this fic done by the incredibly talented @Jeeeenifer30 : https://youtu.be/uzvbuJin7m8 When Kara and Lena go out to celebrate Kara's front...