CHAMPAGNE PROBLEMS [BRIDGERTO...

By -stfurose

she would've made such a lovely bride, what a shame she's fucked in the head. [BRIDGERTON SEASON 1] COVER BY... More

champagne problems.
graphic gallery.
one.
two.
three.
four.
five.
six.
seven.
eight.
nine.
ten.
eleven.
twelve.
thirteen.
fourteen.

prologue.

10.1K 370 60
By -stfurose

╔═══*.·:·.✧ ✦ ✧.·:·.*═══╗

𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞: 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐠 𝐚𝐧𝐝
𝐛𝐞𝐚𝐮𝐭𝐢𝐟𝐮𝐥 𝐠𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐧𝐞𝐬𝐬.

╚═══*.·:·.✧ ✦ ✧.·:·.*═══╝

1812

Her knuckles rapped on the green door and she hauled her bags tighter over her shoulder, wishing she could get a well-deserved rest after a long night's travel. Blue eyes brightened at the sound of approaching footsteps and she was faced with the Bridgerton matriarch herself.

"Good morning, Lady Bridgerton." She greeted the woman with a close-lipped smile and a curtsy. "I am Augusta Woodbury. I'm here as ─ "

"Oh, yes, yes!" The older woman interrupted her, a glint of excitement in her eyes as she had stepped aside to make space in order for Augusta to enter the household. "My daughters and I have been looking for a new governess for weeks now. They are very picky."

The door slammed shut and the servants of the household immediately grabbed ahold of Augusta's belongings to take upstairs to her room. Her eyes followed them ─ but as they did ─ as well as the three portraits of her children that were hung on the high and pristine ceilings of their home.

There was one of three boys, one of three girls, and one of a boy and a girl (presumably the youngest of her children). Augusta had to swallow her shock at how affluent this family was even with their prolific number. If a woman had eight children in her town, the family was sure to be in poverty.

A roar of footsteps came from above accompanied with squeals of excitement and bright smiles from four beautiful young ladies. They stopped in their tracks as their mother turned to them. "This is Miss Woodbury, your new governess. Do treat her with the utmost respect and kindness."

She introduced them from eldest to youngest. There was Daphne (who would be a debutante next season), Francesca, Eloise, and little Hyacinth. As soon as Lady Bridgerton stepped aside, pairs of hands ─ two pairs on each of her arm ─ quickly pulled her to a direction most likely to be their schoolroom. Augusta was glad she could still decipher their questions amidst their voices that seemed to be competing with one another.

"Can you teach me how to speak French, Miss Woodbury?" Hyacinth queried with Bambi eyes. It was almost possible to deny her of any request.

Augusta nodded. "Oui, Mademoiselle Hyacinth."

"What about needlework?" It was Daphne who had asked so tenderly. "I need a lady who is objective."

Before she could answer, Francesca stood in front of Augusta, halting everyone's movements altogether. "How good is your geography?"

Eloise tapped her shoulder. "Have you read the works of Mary Wollstonecraft?"

"Yes. I have."

"You have?"

"Miss Woodbury is an avid reader, dearest." Lady Bridgerton told her daughters. "And an excellent writer too."

Augusta swallowed thickly as she felt a blush dawn on her cheeks. Had Lady Bridgerton written letters to her mother?

"But, before she can render us her services, we must let her settle in first. I am certain she would want to rest after traveling so much."

"No, no." Augusta told them, clearing her throat. "It is no hassle at all. We can start right this moment." At the sound of this, the four girls dashed hurriedly to their schoolroom.

Augusta bid goodbye to Lady Bridgerton (who had promised to send some servants to give her a cup of tea in a few moments) and pulled out her worn-out leather journal along with her fountain pen to write a letter to her mother that she had arrived safely.

In her twenty-four years of existing, Augusta had mastered the art of writing while walking to her destination with her head low and her mind focused on whatever she was writing as she was always trying to bring words into life and present her stories or letters into an artwork that reflected her bold ─ and occasionally outspoken ─ personality.

As she scribbled away, Augusta had to remind herself that she was in high society now and not in her little town of Bloomfield. The traits she had were frowned upon and she needed the position of a governess to keep her family afloat. She would have to be bold and outspoken in her writings then.

"Eloise!"

"Ah!"

Her journal and pen had flown out of her hands as well as her composure as a boisterous scream was emitted from the side staircase. Frantically, Augusta bent down to gather the papers that had fallen to the floor with the culprit joining her.

A mass of unkind thoughts wafted through her mind at the thought of a tactless servant destroying the order in the little world she had created in her journal.

"Do you always hide in staircases?!" She fumed.

"Only when I want to scare someone."

"That is such a foolish ─ " Augusta inhaled deeply, halting her irritated thoughts to make their way to her willful mouth. "You should be more careful." She told the servant through clenched teeth as she shoved the papers back into her journal.

When she heard a chuckle, she met the eyes of a man who was certainly not a servant. He was one of the Bridgerton sons. But there were three. . .how on Earth was she supposed to know which one he was?

"You can berate me for being tactless." He said with no effort to hide his delight at the thin line that had fallen on her lips or her furrowed eyebrows or her sharp tone. The Bridgerton son tipped his head to the side. "Are you the new governess?"

She nodded and curtsied, never dropping her steely gaze from his amused one. "Augusta Woodbury. It is a pleasure to meet you, Mister Bridgerton."

"You look too young to be a governess."

"Well. . .I am but I will succeed in bringing knowledge to your sisters, sir. Do not fret."

He snorted. "Sir?"

Shrugging, Augusta turned her heel. "I must go. Your sisters are waiting."

He was following her ─ Augusta could feel his presence lingering behind as she made her way to the schoolroom. She did not even know his name!

Swiftly, she whirled around to face him, causing the man to abruptly stop. Augusta immediately took a step back to avoid such an uncomfortable distance with a gentleman she had just met. "Why are you still following me?"

"Are you sure you are the new governess?"

Augusta groaned and rolled her eyes. "Respectfully, Mr. Bridgerton, I do not know why you question this. Is it difficult for men like you to digest that I am capable of teaching at my age? I am well-acquainted with numerous subjects that can and will help your sisters' in finding a good husband. I advise that you put your complete faith in me, sir ─ respectfully, I advise you to do so!"

When she finished, her breathing was heavy and her throat had ran dry at the tirade she had just unleashed due to the unresolved issues she still kept with her. Oh my goodness. Why would she let her stupid pride cost her her job on the first day?

She had expected a furious outburst from the man but another one of his Cheshire cat grin of his appeared on his face again. Internally, Augusta groaned. How could he not take her seriously?

"Miss Woodbury ─ can I call you Aggie?"

"No. That is such a revolting pet name."

"Aggie, what I meant was that you are too beautiful to be a governess. We usually get ladies who are a bit older and who have been married."

Augusta did not even try to hide how she rolled her eyes in disgust. "Of course, Mr. Bridgerton. Because beauty is always equated to youth and being bound to someone in holy matrimony, is it not?"

"Touché, Aggie. Touché."

"Oh, would you stop calling me that?!"

"Benedict Bridgerton!" It was Lady Bridgerton with a handful of servants behind her holding snacks and tea. She looked at her son with narrowed eyes. "I hope you are welcoming Miss Woodbury into our home. She is the new governess."

"Oh, mother, I know she is the new governess." For the first time, he bowed his head to her in greeting. "Welcome, Miss Woodbury. I hope you find living here and teaching my sisters whatever they need to know a delightful time." He smirked. "I have utter faith in your capabilities."

"That is. . .good to know, dearest." Lady Bridgerton said, her eyes looking between her second son and the lovely Miss Woodbury. She extended her in order for the new governess to proceed first. "After you, Miss Woodbury."

Wordlessly, Augusta turned around and continued to walk to the direction of the schoolroom where the Bridgerton daughters were eagerly waiting for her to start their lessons.

Unbeknownst to her, Benedict Bridgerton's eyes never left her form as he wondered if he found the lovely lady's spitfire personality to be entertaining or frightening.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

37.1K 1.5K 28
หห‹ยฐโ€ข*โ€โžท๐‘ซ๐‘จ๐’€๐‘ณ๐‘ฐ๐‘ฎ๐‘ฏ๐‘ปโญ‘.เณƒเฟ *๏ฝฅ๏พŸ๏พŸ๏ฝฅ:.๏ฝก..๏ฝก.:๏พŸ::โœผโœฟ - โœฟโœผ:๏พŸ:.๏ฝก..๏ฝก.:๏ฝฅ๏พŸ๏พŸ๏ฝฅ* ๐’๐ˆ๐Œ๐Ž๐ ๐๐€๐’๐’๐„๐“, the irresistible Duke of Hastings, has hatched a plan to...
65.2K 1.9K 29
โsurround me like an ocean, strip down to raw motionโž simon x fem!oc bridgerton s1
51.9K 2.3K 31
TURNING PAGE | โI surrender who I've been for who you are.โž After the loss of her husband, Winifred Erstwhile must come to terms with her new li...
311K 10.4K 41
โ€ขJuliet Bennet has had the happiest childhood she could. With her mother ill and her sister working to support them, Juliet spent all her time painti...