♤DEALS♤

By Theodora_lu

Book one in The Dealer's Series. 'Cause this is the best deal that I have ever made.' ♤♤♤♤ Her- "I do what I... More

Hola
Chapter 1- The Wedding Deal
Chapter 2 - A new year
Chapter 3 - A deal on marriage
Chapter 4 - 'So what do you say, Caleb?'
Chapter 5 - A Dealer's graduation
Chapter 6 -'And you can sleep on the couch till Marci's funeral!'
Chapter 7 -Never take Deals for granted
Chapter 8 - The start of the end
Chapter 9 - A Dealer with blackmail
Chapter 10 - Brother
Chapter 11 - Once a Dealer forever a babysitter
Chapter 12 - The worst decision of my life
Chapter 13 - Dealer on a run
Chapter 14 - 'For a musician, your breath sure stinks.'
Chapter 15 - 'Seven Cruel Hours Of Our Lives'
Chapter 16 - Dealing moments
Chapter 17 - 'Keep it up and I'll give your arm a twin with one of your legs.'
Chapter 18 - 'Let's make a deal.'
Chapter 19 - A Dealer doesn't want to make a deal
Chapter 21 - A Dealer on a date
Chapter 22 - A Dealer's calling
Chapter 23 - 'Meet your sister.'
Chapter 24 - A Deal to regret
Chapter 25 -'I'm the taker of souls.'
Chapter 26 - A Dealer's walls
Chapter 27 - A Dealer's literature
Chapter 28 - Sibling Dealership
Chapter 29 - Tomorrow
Chapter 30 - Dealing with the brother
Chapter 31 - My birthday
Chapter 32 - Mixing deals with pleasure
Chapter 33 - 'From Parks to Parks.'
Chapter 34 - Dealing with Selfish or Selfless
Chapter 35 - A Dealers cons
Chapter 36 - Just stay
Chapter 37 - A Dealer's Goodbye
Chapter 38 - 'My baby is all grown up, falling in love and whatnot.'
Chapter 39 - 'Are you familiar with the Empire, the British empire?'
Chapter 40 - A Deal with Devil's Keeper
Chapter 41 - A Dealer's Wedding
Chapter 42 - What is it with these people and deals?
Chapter 43 - Guilt of a Dealer
Chapter 44 - A Dealer's Battle cry
Chapter 45 - 'Father'
Chapter 46 - Dealing with the truth
Chapter 47 - '...cause this is the best deal that I have ever made.'
Chapter 48 - Dealer against Dealer
Adios mi amigos

Chapter 20 - A black grand piano.

26 4 9
By Theodora_lu

Like the keys on the piano, the world is either black or white.

-THEO.

Caleb Parks' POV

When I turned seventeen, my dad saved a lot of money to get me a gift for my birthday.

A black grand piano.

Believe it or not, but seventeen-year-old me liked to be sung to sleep by that same black grand piano.

I didn't know how to play it. So every night my mom and I would sit down, and she would teach me how to play it. Her favourite composer was Beethoven. Thanks to her, I know all of his works by heart.

I guess that's why it's both my favourite and worst instrument. It's my favourite because the person who taught me how to play it is among the few people I treasure. It's my worst because said person is dead.

Regardless I avoid playing it, but when I played it last night, It was like I got to connect with her one more time.

-

Breathe in, breathe out.

With one final push; my leg makes contact with the wall, and I double over in the water. I used my weight to push myself in the opposite direction and take another lap.

I see a pebble land in front of me from the surface. Only one person knows where to find me when I am in such a foul mood.

I come up for air and face a frowning Marci. I swim towards the edge of the pool and look at her.

"Great weather we have here, eh?" I grinned at her, and the frown on her face deepened.

"Fine, you caught me. I know I'd say I'll show up to teach you and Nate something new before the show, but I got sidetracked."

Marci rolled her eyes and sat down on the pool's edge, her legs dangling into the water.

"What went down when you and Peyton went into the music room last night? The guys and I were considerate to give some space, but I still wanna know." She says without missing a beat.

I avoided eye contact, "I have no idea what you are talking about."

"Right. Since we're playing the ignoramus game. You should know I'm losing my virginity to Nate tonight."

I narrowed my eyes at her, "If I get my hands on that ginger, I will be the last thing he sees before he goes into the light."

"Chill out, but on a more serious note, Nate, me, and some of our friends are eating out tonight after the talent show."

"I don't know. You must at least be thirty before you go on your first date. That's what Marcel and I concluded." I grin.

"First of all. It's a gathering of friends, not a date. Second of all, my dad is fine. But I know you do not now spill it." She goes on with her interrogation.

I sighed, "I played the piano last night."

I resorted to resting at the edge beside her and turning my face away.

"I asked Peyton to pick an instrument, and she picked the piano. Sure, I know that I hate the instrument, but..."

I trailed off. While I played it last night, I felt closer to my mom, and when Peyton tried to cheer me up, it made everything perfect.

I know fake people like Miss Beatrice will be a constant reminder that no girl would ever be interested in me. Not Caleb the musician, not Caleb the orphan. Just me, Caleb Parks, the guy like Drake who started from the bottom.

It's a painful reminder that I'll never have the family I've always wanted. But it's the small price I have to pay for trying to realize a passion for music that I had.

In other words, I have a family because each person I allow to get close brings out a side of me that I never knew was there.

Marci rested a hand on my shoulder, "It's okay if you feel confused about her but don't worry. I already told her that if she messed with your head, she would have me to deal with later."

"Well, I'll be. Tell me, Marcella, what are you up to?" I pulled myself out of the water and sat down next to her.

"Please don't." She grimaced, "It took me the whole of junior year to get people to stop calling me that."

"But your mom gave you that name. Speaking of which, how did the dinner with them go?"

"Let's just say I could literally kiss Jacob for lending me his headphones." She shrugs.

"That bad, huh?" I nudged her shoulders.

She slumps hers, "They were talking about getting back together and maybe having another kid, my mom kicked a fit that I was just enough, but dad said he wanted more people around. Long story short, they had sex on the dining room table."

It's my turn to grimace, "Remind me not to eat there when next we visit."

"You don't have to tell me twice." She snorts.

The door bursts open, and Abigail walks in. "Are we still going to the talent show?" She asks as she sits down beside me.

I rest my hands on their shoulders, "As a family, we have to support each other, don't we?"

"Good, Marcella, aren't you supposed to be in the music room?" Gail stretched her neck to look at Marci.

"If you keep calling me Marcella, I'll start calling you Squirt." Marci threatens with narrowed eyes.

Gail's eyes turned into slits, "At least I'm cute, and you look like an old hag."

"That's it!" Marci was about to lunge at Gail, but I made a split-second decision.

I tightened my hold on their shoulders and jumped into the pool, "Geronimo!"

We all fell and resurfaced soon after, "Caleb!" Both of my sisters screamed while staring death in my direction.

I smirked at them, "See ya later, suckers."

I made a beeline for the steps closest to me and got out of the pool.

I was lucky that I didn't fall on my face with how slippery the floors were and how fast I was running on them. I bumped into the remaining occupants of the penthouse in the kitchen.

I ran behind Peyton, who was cleaning a bowl with a rag.

"Hide me!" I gripped her shoulders and felt her tense beneath my hold.

"Caleb Parks!"

Marci and Gail walked in, soaked from head to toe.

"Did it ever occur to you guys to take off your clothes when you want to go for a swim?" Jacob did nothing to hide his laugh.

"He did this." Marci pointed an accusing finger in my direction, "I found him in the pool, and he thought it would be fun to play duck, duck, goose in the water!"

Through his laughing, Jack made eye contact with me, a message in his eyes 'we will talk about this later'. I nodded in reply.

"Well, Marci, I suggest you go dry off." Peyton grinned and shook me off her, "You have an interesting young man behind you."

Marci turned to face a red-faced Nathan, who tried to hide his laugh.

"This means war Caleb Parks." Marci turned on her heel and walked out of the room while Gail looked confused about what had happened.

"Come on, Abigail, let's dry you off." Peyton put down the bowl and led Gail out of the room.

"You can wait in the music room." Shawn politely told Nathan.

When he was out of earshot, Jacob asked, "Are we still going to the school for the talent show tonight?"

"Yep." I replied, "Jack, have you heard from Marcel yet?"

Jack shook his head, and the elevator doors opened. Speak of the devil, and he shall appear. We left the kitchen to join him by the stairs.

"Boy, the presses are asking for a new song," Marcel stated, straight to the point as usual.

"Oh, I forgot." I cringed. I've been caught up with Peyton that I forgot; I was a musician.

Seems like she did become a distraction after all.

"Well, better get to writing, boy. We have an interview with Ken in a few weeks asking about your progress," Marcel said more like commanded.

"Don't you need the inspiration to come up with new stuff," Jack muttered thoughtfully, "I mean, we have been on the same routine for a while now. Why don't we shake it up a bit?"

"He has a point. Caleb needs some spice in his life, and no worries, I have the salt-covered."

Marcel ignores one of Jacob's horrible jokes, "What are you lot getting at here?" With a raised brow and a hand in his beard, Marcel was scrutinizing us. Like a hound searching for extra blood.

"You two are hopeless." Shawn said, "They want Caleb to ask Peyton out for dinner."

"Who was Peyton again?" Marcel asked.

Jack and Jacob glared at Shawn.

"Guys, I said nothing was going on between us." I looked heavenwards.

They asked me this a few nights ago. I denied having any feelings. After last night I'm not one hundred on that statement. I will remind myself again, 'The last thing I need is someone who was only here for the money. Nothing more, nothing less.'

"If you think we believe that, you, my friend are higher in the clouds than a fly." Jacob waves his hand dismissively. "Seriously though, Marcel considers the kind of inspiration Caleb here will get if he and Peyton have a night under the stars."

As always, Jacob speaks with a double meaning in his words.

"Just so we're on the same page, the only sheets that will be there will be the ones on the table." Marcel looked as if he was agreeing with this plan. "And one of you will be there with him?" He glances at Shawn and Jacob, who nods in the affirmative.

"Just one catch," Jack pointed to the top of the stairs with a smirk, "That's her right there."

At the top of the steps were Abigail and Peyton; Gail ran down the stairs and jumped on Marcel to get a big hug.

"Looks like the beauty company called; they want their mirrors back." Jack snorted a laugh at Peyton's comment as she came down the stairs.

"Seems like they would rack up a fortune." Jacob and Shawn let out a snicker.

Am I missing something here?

Marcel rolled his eyes and proceeded to facepalm, "She's Peyton, isn't she?"

"Correctamundo." Jacob grinned.

"Dad!" Marci raced down the stairs and launched herself at Marcel.

When they pulled apart, "Are you coming for my talent show?" She asked with hopeful eyes.

"Sweetie, I.."

Marci's face fell. I knew Marcel was busy working on me. But that didn't mean he should neglect his daughter.

"It's okay. I get it you're busy; I'll have mom come over. You clearly need more." Marci began making her way to the music room, most likely to meet up with Nathan.

The last part of her statement was a low blow, nothing else. She is okay with her parents having more children after her since he would prefer to spend more time with them than with her.

"I'll call Dinah," I say while putting a hand on Marcel's shoulder.

"I feel like a horrible dad." He rubs his hand on his face.

"Trust me, you aren't," Peyton says as we stare at Marci's retreating figure.

-

Marcel and Jack had to head to the studio to organize my next concert. Meanwhile, Dinah came to help Marci get ready in the outfit aspect.

Marci and Nathan swept the floor with their opponents, and in my opinion, they should have won first place, but they came in second.

When the show ended, Marci came to me with big eyes and a pout.

"You can go, only if Shawn comes along." I offer.

She was about to complain, but I beat her to it, "We both know that being my sister and Marcel's daughter comes at a cost. I won't forgive myself if anything happened to you."

After seeing what bad things happen to the people you care about, I am very protective of my family, especially Abigail and Marci.

Marci nodded and left with Shawn to the group. I also had Shawn suggest they eat at Dinah's place.

"Don't worry, I'll keep an eye on her." Dinah shrugged as she unlocked her car.

"Your kids will be alright?" She gazed at Peyton and me.

"We're not ten, Dinah." Peyton rolled her eyes.

"Yes, ten-year-olds are not oblivious to the truth."

"Am I missing something?" I asked.

"Nothing. You guys should get some rest." Dinah winked at Peyton as she got into her car and drove away.

Jacob nudged me, "So Peyton wanna have dinner with me?" I asked.

Not surprisingly, she didn't even bother to answer and turned her attention to Jacob. I'm guessing she may be angry about last night.

"Jacob, do you like Chinese?"

Jacob shrugged, "Yea, why?"

"There is a restaurant near the house. Wanna come?" It's like she was having a conversation while pretending that I wasn't here.

"Sounds good, but I can't leave Caleb here," Jacob says, trying to be a wingman.

"I'm sure the ghost you speak of can find his way home." She replied offhandedly with a wave of her hands.

I grabbed her hand and made her look at me, "If we can get through this dinner, I won't bother getting to know you, and you do your job and leave. Deal?"

I wanted to take it back when I saw her pale, but for all I know, she might just be here for the money, and I don't need any more fake people around me.

She returned the stare, "Deal."

-

Jacob decided to get a separate table to give us some privacy.

Thankfully everyone here was most likely a Chinese descendant or too focused on their meals, so safe to say I will not get mobbed tonight.

"So, what is it that made you decide to act like a caring employer tonight?" Peyton asked, disdain in her voice.

"Favorite colour?" I begin.

They say peoples' taste in the aspects of life defines them.

"Black, is this an interrogation?" She raises a brow.

"Interrogation, a conversation. Potato Potatoe."

"I never knew you knew such big words, Caleb." She gushed, "Seriously though, if you wanted to get to know me, just ask. Don't be acting like that. A word of advice, don't go all over the place, acting up on people who will up and go very soon."

She has no clue how close her words hit near home, but I sucked it all in. I might as well let curiosity kill the cat as he walked down the park. (No pun intended.)

"I get it. You're angry. In my defence, playing the piano brings back stuff." I winced because the last thing I wanted was to let her in. What I know about her is the fact that she has a strange connection with that book under her pillow.

Her eyes softened, and she reached across the table to rest her hand on mine, "If it made you feel so damn uncomfortable, why didn't you just play another instrument. You could have just said no." She asked as her silver-blue eyes bore into mine.

I let out a breathy chuckle, 'Because I wanted to let someone in. Someone that wouldn't judge me, someone that would love me more than a friend, someone I would call family.'

"Apart from babysitting, what else do you do for a living?"

She hesitated as her eyes darted around.

"I am a Pediatrician, but I don't like hospitals." She avoided eye contact.

"A doctor who doesn't like hospitals, that's new. Why?" That's not something you see every day.

"Favorite food?"

Well played, Peyton Griffin, well played.

"It's cereal, Frosties to be exact," I answered without missing a beat.

"Why Frosties?"

"Is that a question? Who seriously doesn't like Frosties?" I ask with a look.

Peyton grinned, "Okay, mister sugar rush. I prefer none."

"How can someone not have a favourite food?" I raise a brow at her.

"When all the idiots I live with have come very close to burning the house one too many times. I learnt to eat whatever I could get out of the kitchen. I never got to pick a favourite." She shrugged.

I feel her family is a touchy subject, so I stirred clear from that, "If you could go anywhere, where would it be?"

"Anywhere as far as I had my friends with me," She replied, "But if I were being realistic, I would pick Egypt. I wonder if I could piss off some mummies." I laughed.

"I would go to Paris..."

She cut me off and said the reason, "Just because it's the city of love doesn't necessarily mean that you can be Cinderella and fall in love with the first person you see in that city."

I don't know why but my hand itched to be near hers, and its wish was my command.

I laid my hands on hers, looking into her eyes, "You might be surprised, Peyton. You may find what you truly desire if you go there."

Love and family.

Two things that are connected; you can't enjoy one without having a grasp of the other.

"Okay, what about your favourite brand?" I asked.

The atmosphere was getting kind of tense there for a second.

"Comfort over anything. Favourite anime?"

"Anime?" That sounds like the kind of thing that Jacob would watch.

"An anime is the adult version of cartoons; all hormonal teenage boys watch it." She explained with a smug smile.

I sputtered, "I am twenty-five. I'm a grown man." I have never been so insulted.

I mean, come on, I'm a grown man.

"Yes, only grown-ups need to prove how old they are." She grins.

Her grin melts off her face as her eyes hone in on something behind us.

"You okay?" I'm about to follow her line of sight, but she stops me.

She giggled slightly, "Peachy, can you please get the check. I left my purse at home."

I grinned, got up and began making my way toward the paying counter after I spared her one last look. I knew something was up, but if she wanted me to know. She would have told me.

After I had paid for our meal, I made my way back to the table. I bumped into Jacob's table, where he was already deep in someone's throat.

"Are you ready to head home?" I rolled my eyes at his behaviour.

At least he should have waited a bit before he decided to have some fun.

"Sure. Call me." He said that last part to the random girl behind us.

We walked up to Peyton, who held her hands on her throat; her breathing was erratic.

I knew how fast her pulse was racing, and the uneven look in her eyes and her knuckles had the table cloth in a death grip were white.

She had a panic attack.

-

I looked down at the sleeping girl on my chest. Her hair was fading from brown to gold as it spread out from her sleeping form onto my chest.

She had a neutral expression. There's nothing left to surprise her.

At least that's what I thought.

Seeing Peyton so scared last night had me apprehended; this girl has more and the same timeless traits in common with Taryn. The way she handles herself, she only allows her cold exterior to crack just for a bit, but when you get a peek, she closes it up back again.

Her grip on my hand had lessened during the night, but I still felt surprised that she would hold me the way she did last night. I even thought she would have my head if I were to step foot into her room again, after how I had acted towards her in the music room. I still felt guilty about that.

I didn't want to wake her up, so I quietly slid off the bed; I was a foot away from the door; she groaned and whimpered.

She started muttering about different things that I couldn't make out. I knew she would not allow me to hear this. I surprised myself by walking back to her and removing the hair from her face. She seemed to calm down as I held her hair away and rested my hand on her cheek.

I couldn't help but admire how peaceful she now looked, her face free from the wicked smirks she would send to Jacob or the witty smile she shared with Shawn when they thought no one was watching.

It felt like a primal instinct. I pressed my lips on her forehead; it felt right. I wonder if she were to be awake, I am sure she would have ripped my tongue away if it came within a five-square radius of her face.

She stopped moving around and cracked a slight smile when I raised my head. With a sigh, I walked out of the room.

I was drenched as soon as I came out of the room.

I stared at the culprits. My very sisters high-fived each other.

"Touché," With one evil grin on her face, Marci strutted away while Gail giggled.

I decided that the wet cloth outfit wasn't my style. With that in mind, I made my way to my room.

Jacob and Shawn were nowhere in sight while I found Jack waiting for me as he rested on my room door.

I opened the door, and we both walked in. He went towards my bed while I walked into the closet to change.

"So, did you get any inspiration to write a new song?" Jack grilled me as I ripped off my wet shirt.

"Sort of; last night was interesting," I said and came out of the closet in a yellow hoodie and dark green jeans.

"Did you two share a passionate kiss to end the night?" There is no end to the teasing, is there?.

"What is this twilight?" I knew my amused expression made my angry façade look fake; as I glared at my best friend.

"Okay, I'll stop it," Jack took my unamused expression to heart, "for now." It was too good to be true.

"So why did you play the piano last night?" He asked as he looked at me.

I knew this was coming. If I said I had an answer, that would be a lie.

"Honestly, I don't know." Jack tilted his head to the side, obviously not believing me and waiting for me to explain further.

"I felt like I had been bottling up more than normal recently. And I felt like I should tell someone that she can be a total bitch, but she knows what to say despite the turn of events."

Jack's eyes bulged out of their sockets, "Did Caleb Parks just swear?"

I confess my feelings for a girl, and he cares about my diction. I sure have the best, best friend in the world, don't I?

He snickered, "I get it. This is the exact same way Trisha makes me feel at times. The one thing I want you to be prepared for is when the sheets get dragged down."

I scrunched up my face, "Is there a point you are getting to?" I say while resting on the comfy chair beside the window.

"What I am trying to say is, it's okay to feel confused about your feelings about her. If anything, you need a woman who will actually love you no matter where Marcel drags you to perform." He gives me a sincere smile, "But if you liked this girl, are you sure you're ready to unlock your demons for her?"

I knew the demons he was talking about, and I was nowhere ready to face them. I will have to face it alone as I had been doing all these years.

It's funny how one day could make you cry out in joy and sorrow, how just the thought makes your want to wrap your head around it. A series of what-ifs make a campsite in your brain, but pity is the last thing you need.

So what do you do? You put up a brave front and smile all through the year until that dreadful day comes around the corner, and as any wise man would say;

'When we get to that bridge, we'll cross it.'

"Remember, bro. As your best friend, I'm here for you. You know, right?" I nodded.

I may have two, but they get me as no one would.

"Has Marcel called you yet?" I changed the subject, not wanting to dwell on it further.

Jack knows me like the back of his hand and decides to let the topic slide for now. He also gives me a sad smile, but I don't need pity for something that was my fault.

"Yes, he said to get to the studio ASAP. Seeing as it's near noon, we should start heading out." Jack gives me a reassuring smile before walking out.

I follow him out. We go down the stairs and head to the kitchen. The evil grin was still on Marci's face as she ate her bowl of cereal while Gail had a toasted sandwich.

"Who wants pancakes?" Jack asked as he made his way to the stove.

Before my best friend could end our lives, Jacob stood in his way.

"Ed, bro. I know chicks dig the whole man who can cook cliché, but some of us are getting laid tonight. And we would like to have all our parts complete by then."

Shawn snorted at his brother's attempt to get Jack to stay away from the stove.

Don't get me wrong, Jack is a lot of things. Such as a loyal friend and even better brother. But amidst all those traits, cooking is not among them.

"You know what I'll cook. You should text Marcel that we are on our way to the studio." Jack pouted as I took the pan from his hand, stood in front of the stove and started making pancakes.

"So we know what you two are doing today? what about us?" Marci asked as she dropped her plate in the sink. And turned around to leave it there, but Shawn had other plans. She gave him a defiant look, but he remained unfazed. Sighing, Marci turned around and washed up her bowl.

We still hadn't found a maid, so we had to pick up after ourselves.

"Shawn, Jacob, which of you is coming with us to the studio?" Jack asked as he sat on the counter and played with Gail's hair.

"I'll go." Shawn declared.

"I'll stay with the girls," Jacob replied.

"Marci, you can spend your Sunday at home or with Dinah, your choice." I place a stack of pancakes on the counter.

Jack hops off the counter, picks one from the stack, and eats it with his bare hands.

Abigail squeezes her face at Jack, "How come I have to use a plate while he doesn't?"

"Because Gail, you're not a caveman," Marci told her sister.

"Haha, very funny." Jack rolled his eyes and proceeded to eat his pancake.

"If I have to stay with mom, is the squirt coming along?" Marci jutted her finger at Abigail.

Abigail proceeded to pinch Marci's hand. The latter sent the former a glare that could make hell freeze over.

"I would strangle you, but there are too many people watching," Marci muttered at the shorter sister.

"Here's what," I swallow my juice in one gulp, "Marci, you hang out with your mom. Gail, you stay here with Peyton and Jacob." I looked around to see if everyone agreed.

Jack's phone chirped, "I'd say we leave now before Marcel leaps out of the phone and bites our heads off for delaying."

I dropped my plate in the sink and quickly washed it; I turned around and kissed Marci's head.

"Try not to kill our sister while I'm gone."

Then I kissed Gail's head, "Be good."

"And Jacob, please try not to end up dead before we get back," I smirk in his direction while thinking about the spitfire upstairs.

With a final grin, I made my way out of the room with Jack and Shawn.

If I recall, the weekends are meant for someone to rest, but clearly, the paparazzi didn't get the memo.

They crowded the hobby immediately we stepped out of the elevator. I could have sworn I died and gone to heaven. The flashes coming from their cameras were very bright.

The uber that Marcel sent to get us was already waiting on the road in front of the building.

Shawn and Jack were able to fend off the press as we made our way to the Uber.

"Mr Parks, when is your next album coming out?"

"Caleb Parks, any love interest in mind?"

"Mr Caleb Parks, Is it true that you have dyslexia?"

"Parks, Mr Parks, and how many towns do you plan on visiting as your tour goes on?"

"Mr Caleb, do you think tt the Parks orphanage will strive?"

"Caleb, how many kids do you plan on having?"

"Parks, at what age do you plan on ending your music career?"

"Mr Caleb, where do you see yourself a few years from now?"

"Mr Parks, apart from music, do you have anything else going on?"

I wonder who gives these people this information because as long as I'm concerned, my love life is as lively as a party in a graveyard. And they are mixing up my business life with my personal life together, but I try not to show how much their personal question affected me. I plaster a cool gaze on my face as we fought our way through the crowd.

Finally, we made it to the Uber, and traffic was slow. Luckily we arrived at Wellington records in due time.

To say Marcel was furious when we arrived would be an understatement. We arrived in front of Wellington records; Marcel came out of the building as we pulled up in front of it.

After cursing his fair share of the press, he made it to us in a foul mood. Jack and I took over the role from Shawn and stayed quiet for the rest of the ride.

The car ride was awkward, to say the least, but I broke the silence when we pulled up in front of a family townhouse in midtown.

"Mind sharing the secrets with the rest of us?" I observed Marcel.

"You see," Marcel rubbed his thumbs and avoided eye contact with the rest of us. "I have a niece; today is her quinceañera. I promised her an incredible gift..."

He didn't need to continue the sentence because I already knew where this was heading.

I rubbed my forehead, "Please let this be the last time I have to be your gift to your family members."

Marcel replied gruffly, "I can't promise that."

"How about I write a new song for the upcoming Halloween party in your house, and you start remembering your relative's birthdays?" I bargain.

After my performance on Marci's birthday years ago, I became Marcel's gift to some of his family members more often than I would like.

"Deal, but if you are coming, bring that Peyton girl with you," Marcel says.

"I thought you hated her after she compared you to the beast from beauty and the beast?" Jack cocked his head to the side.

"When did she say that?" Marcel glared at Jack as if he was the one who said it.

Shawn and I let out a laugh.

"Trust me, you don't wanna know," Jack muttered as we stepped out of the car.

The house looked pretty homey as we bounded up the porch steps; I admired the little garden at the side of it.

Marcel knocked on the door; a woman who looked in her early fifties opened it.

Her eyes widened with glee as she took in Marcel's frame. She pulled Marcel in her arms and kissed his cheeks.

"There's no better thing than having blackmail on the big man," Jack laughed as he took a photo of Marcel up in the air with a grimace.

After Marcel had finally pried himself from the woman's grasp, she narrowed her eyes at us. She had no clue who we were and why we stood on her porch.

"Abuela, this is Caleb, Jack and Shawn." Marcel briefly introduced us, and she nodded and moved out of the way for us to enter the home.

I never knew that Marcel was part Mexican; I made a mental note to ask him about it later.

Designs of Paris littered all over the house, accompanied by loud Spanish music. The birthday girl came bounding to me, and I found myself in Marcel's earlier compromising position.

When she finally let me down. She wore a sweetheart off-shoulder gown with blue and silver sequences.

"I can't believe my uncle Marcel got Caleb Parks to come to my quinceañera and perform for me."

Neither can I girl, neither can I.

"I think I'm gonna have a heart attack with you just being here." I steadied her by her midsection.

Someone dying because of my presence? Now that's not something you see every day.

"Calm down..." I had no idea what her name was.

"Giá,"

"Am I supposed to say happy birthday or happy quinceañera?"

Before she could reply, the older woman slammed a fork into a glass cup to get everyone's attention.

She stood in the middle of the room and spoke fluent Spanish. I could pick up that she was thanking everyone for coming. Then I think she introduced me as the final entertainment for the night.

As guessed, everyone turned their attention to me.

I walked into the middle of the room and was handed a brown Vihuela and a Sombrero. I had the perfect song for the occasion.

When I wanted to learn how to speak Spanish, I learnt the basics of their culture.

A quinceañera is a party where the whole family gets together to celebrate a girl who has come of age.

As I played the Vihuela, Giá and her dad started to slow dance in the middle of the room, and I felt myself choking up as I imagined that to be Gail and her dad, my adoptive father.

I robbed her of enjoying her family. She got one year while I got more than half of a decade.

I tried my best to hold the flood gates, but they started, and there was no stopping them.

No one seemed to notice that I had stopped playing and had placed the Vihuela on the floor. I approached the makeshift bar at the corner of the room.

I ordered a strong drink and took it in one full gulp.

"Keep 'em coming."

Getting drunk was not my intention today, but the memories of Gail, our parents and me flooded my mind. I felt overwhelmed.

From the day they adopted me to that day of the crash.

I felt more tears slip out of my eyes as I watched the crowded dance floor. Relatives who were happy while sharing a happy and glorious day with each other.

It should have been me.

And as much as I love Caleb sober. It's time you, guys, met him drunk. As they say, a drunk man's words are a sober man's thoughts.

So from here on out, expect many mind-blowing things to happen, but I beg you, get an oxygen mask nearby.

For my Spanish readers. Hola 🤭

I love writing about Caleb having some family moments with Marci and Abigail.😅

I wonder why Peyton had a panic attack?🤔

Needless to say, Caleb has a soft spot for the people he cares about, and as he said, the people we care about tend to bring out the best in us.

Then please vote and tell me what you think🙃

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

262K 5.4K 49
"Tell me. Why won't you tell me?" He asks and I look towards him slowly, "You didn't even talk to me until yesterday! I'm trying to make it so nobody...
8.6K 160 42
10 years. 10 years of hating Griffin Taylor. Luckily for me, he lives hundreds of miles away and I very rarely have to handle the knowledge he's in...
10M 211K 27
"Karma..." He muttered. I looked over at him as he smiled to himself. "Is a bitch. And so are you!" I joked. Aiden glanced up at me and glared before...
209K 11.4K 85
It's been five years since Zoey and Caleb brought their first child into the world. Since then life has been a real roller coaster for the two of the...