Letters to Inmate 29901

By misslibbyj

[This story is now FREE!] Lillie's letters are Dimitri's lifeline in prison, but when he gets out and his vio... More

Chapter 1 - Prologue
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Life After Lockup! Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
In Love with a Criminal! Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92 - Epilogue
Author's Note!

Chapter 7

37.5K 1.5K 151
By misslibbyj

CHAPTER 7

Lillie

I walked to my door and waved Sassi goodbye as she drove off. I was glad to be home. The afternoon at the charity event was pretty good. And the previous night was all forgiven and forgotten. It was a good distraction after my confidence took a slight beating.

I won a raffle prize, which was a cookbook about Italian cuisine. I loved it since making food was one of my other pleasures in life, apart from the violin and teaching.

I had the rest of the Saturday to myself.

Her words echoed in my thoughts.

"Just give it a try... No harm will come from it."

I placed the cookbook with the envelope on the side desk near the front door. I dashed upstairs to my bedroom to dress in something comfier. I slipped out of my dress, replaced it with a shorts and baggy top, hung up my cardigan and kicked off my shoes.

I ran down the stairs, and walked to the living room to catch up on violin practice for the concert that Kenny was down on throats about. But my eyes quickly glanced at the desk where the envelope sat. Unfortunately, my curiosity got the better of me.

I approached the envelope with number 29901 on it and opened it up. I couldn't help but wonder the name I would write to. My fingers held a plain card with the man's name and surname, age and what he was incarcerated for, including his serving sentence. I thoroughly inspected the card.

Jeez, car theft. That's somewhat unsettling. I thought this was for criminals who did petty crimes. I reminded myself to bring that up with Sassi. I immediately wanted to discard the card and the envelope and reject this whole idea. But I looked at the man's name.

"Dimitri Hawke – Inmate no: 29901." I mumbled to myself. Hmmm, a strong name, I thought. His name strangely intrigued me. But I snapped out of it and shook it away.

"Age 28," I continued. Okay, he's at least still young and not some old man, I thought cautiously.

I pondered for a moment, contemplating should I go through with this. Trusting this wasn't a mistake, I came to a decision that I'll write this Dimitri a letter. I hated the idea of Sassi saying I was scared or something. I was determined to prove her wrong, and anyway, it was safe. I shouldn't overthink this. It's no big deal.

Before I lost my nerve. I sat at the desk, pulling a chair. My hand pulled out my notepad and a pink envelope. Suddenly realizing I only had pink envelopes. I froze. Gosh, I hope this guy won't think too much of it. Deciding against buying new ones. I took my pen to paper. I hovered above it, not quite sure what to write. How does one start off a letter for a pen pal, no less an inmate in prison? I tapped the pen to my lips lost in thought.

I started with a few sentences. But abandoned them as soon as I read it. It wasn't good enough and was not happy with any of them. After a few scrunched up papers in the bin, I was finally satisfied with my letter. It didn't come across as too formal and wasn't too over friendly, avoiding giving this guy any wrong ideas.

With a tight smile, I closed the written letter in the pink envelope and wrote the prisons address in front and my PO BOX address at the back. I ensured I didn't give my physical house address and a PO BOX address instead, where I'll happily collect the mail in my box, separate from my house. It felt weird writing this. I slightly bugged out.

Before my courage totally left me. I rushed to the door and briskly walked outside to the post box opposite my street near the gas station. Completely ignoring my bare feet. I popped the letter in and walked back home. After I closed my door. I leaned back and sighed, clasping my face in the palm of my hands.

"Oh dear! I hope I don't regret this decision."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

134K 6K 29
When Harlow accidentally takes the wrong bag at school she discovers a journal written by a mysterious, tortured boy inside. She becomes obsessed wit...
2K 121 21
"If you love me, you won't leave me." Jessie has believed those words from her boyfriend, Josh, since senior year of high school. She loves him and d...
136K 7.7K 28
[18+] - CONTEMPORARY ROMANCE Traumatized by life and grief-stricken, a young ex-soldier returns to his hometown hellbent on pursuing the woman he lov...
497K 4.7K 14
To crave safety was one thing. To sleep with a monster to get it? That was something else entirely. ____________________ The bar. Her best friend. T...