Weaver

By ELatimer

Alice Cunningham is back! First stop is Prague, a city drenched in ancient magic. It's beautiful, haunted an... More

Weaver
Prague
The Surprise
The Stranger
Delivery
Ekile El'Shem
Transformation
Lies and Fairy Tales
You Can't Be Alice
The Mystic's Gallery
The Duck Phone
A Good Night's Sleep
Unexpected Gift
Gabriel's New Love
Mysterious Package
Friends and Enemies
Underhanded Magic
Distractions
Renewing Old Aquaintances
Getting Lost in a Good Book
Chocolate Kisses
Stranger in the Wind
Two In One
War of the Weavers
To the Death

In the End

34.1K 2.4K 522
By ELatimer

Alice was still staring at the blade in shock, “I don’t…I don’t really understand….”

                “You’ve got yourself a powerful weapon,” Styx seemed reluctant to get near the blade, dragging Athena backwards. Athena herself didn’t seem to be able to move at all now. She hung limp in Styx’s arms, her eyes flickering back and forth, wide and terrified, “it’s obviously been enchanted by a coven. Of course, you won’t be able to kill a god, but that will paralyze one of us for a few days.” She looked down at the goddess in her arms, a wicked smile suddenly curling her blood-red lips, “and now you’ve delivered me another one to play with.” She glanced back up and gave Alice a wink, “I’ll be seeing you again, sorceress.”

                This time there was no fading away, no rush of mist, only a whip-crack noise that made Alice jump, and Styx was suddenly gone, and Athena with her. Alice stayed where she was, sitting on the sidewalk, the cold, damp snow leaching into her legs and backside, clutching the blade so tightly her fingers hurt. She didn’t seem to be able to let go. The night sky was doing funny things, swinging slowly around and round when it shouldn’t be moving at all. There were voices above her, someone saying her name over and over in a deep voice, murmured voices, whispering and a pressure on her shoulder. Then darkness hit her square in the face like a sucker punch, and Alice slumped sideways, the clatter of the enchanted blade on the sidewalk was the last thing she heard for a very long time.

                The smell of strong, british tea pulled her from the darkness. When she finally came to, emerging from a dream involving screaming goddesses and poisoned blades that melted in her hand upon contact with said goddess’, it was to see five pale faces staring anxiously down at her.

                She cleared her throat, “Um, hi.”

                Altair let out a great gust of a sigh and tightened his grip on her hand, “thank god, you’re awake. You had us worried there for awhile.”

                “I told you she’d be fine,” Shakra rocked back on her heels, crossing her arms over her chest, “she was just drained from touching the network.”

                “Sure, but you didn’t sound absolutely confident when you said it,” Gabriel looked relieved, “but now that Alice is obviously okay…” he leaned forward anxiously, “you’re okay right?”

                Maya reached out to brush Alice’s hair back, smiling down at her, “you did so great!”

                Alice relaxed into the mattress, allowing herself to truly relax for the first time in weeks, “I’m okay, everyone. Thanks.”

                “We made you tea,” Azura picked up the tray from the side table, “and sandwiches, in case you’re hungry. Magic can be draining in large amounts.”

                Alice sat up, propping herself against the headboard, “I just realized I’m starving, thanks.” She took the tray from Azura, balancing it on her knees, “that network thing…it…it took a lot out of me.”

                Shakra and Azura exchanged a look, and then Shakra said, “you did very very well, Alice.”

                She stared at the both of them, “you didn’t think I’d be able to do it, did you? What did you think would happen?”

                Shakra shrugged, “I don’t think any of us knew what would happen. Alice, seeing the network, never mind touching it, is one of those rare, unheard of things in the magic community, elevated almost to the status of myth.”

                “And,” Azura said grimly, “clearly the reason why all these damned gods are so attracted to you, though apparently they don’t quite realize why. Only that you have a magnetic pull and a lot of power. They can smell it on you.”

                Alice wrinkled her nose, “that sounds horrible. I wish I didn’t have that power. Then everyone would just leave me alone. I don’t like all this fighting gods business. It’s going to get me killed.”

"What was with the knife, by the way?" Altair asked, "we had to pry it out of your hands before we put you to bed."

"Where is it?" Alice looked around wildly, "where did you put it?"

"Woah, it's okay, it's in the dresser drawer." Altair put a restraining hand on her arm, "just lie back."

Alice allowed herself to be pressured back onto the pillow, "Styx said the blade was enchanted by...by a coven. That means witches," she chewed her bottom lip thoughtfully, "meaning, the people that gave me that blade are a coven."

"One that your aunt used to belong to," Maya said.

"Right, but what do they want with you?" Altair asked.

"I don't know," Alice glanced over at the night stand, "but I'm going to find out someday. In the meantime, I'm very greatful they gave me that knife. Apparently it works on gods, and gods seem very intent on killing me. In fact, I'm surprised I'm not dead yet."

                “You're doing pretty good,” Altair said, “that’s two down so far, safe to say, I’m impressed.”

                “Doesn’t take much to impress you, does it?” Alice teased.

                “I like my women hard and mean,” Altair grinned, “you know, able to destroy with the sweep of her hand, that sort of thing.”

                “If you two are going to start kissing, let me know so we can leave the room,” Gabriel grimaced, and then pouted at Maya when she punched him in the arm, “I mean so we can go kiss too, wouldn’t want to be left out!”

                “Enough talk of kissing,” Azura waved her hands in the air, but a smile broke her serious expression.

                “I for one, don’t mind it,” Shakra grinned, “it would be nice for life to get back to normal.”

                Alice stared at her, “Shakra, we fight gods, you were a tiger. The shop moves from city to city selling shoes that dance for you and potions that make people fall in love with you. You let me know when you see normal, because I don’t think I remember what it looks like.”

                Shakra laughed, “Oh, just eat your sandwhich, Alice.” She surprised Alice by leaning in to give her a hug, saying quietly, “you were amazing today. I’m glad you’re alright.”

                “Me too,” Alice murmured, “I’m glad we all are.”

                “Dominican,” Altair was insisting, “the sands are brighter, the water is warmer.”

                “You’re making stuff up,” Gabriel growled back, “you have no stats to back this up.”

                “I say Mexico,” Maya said, “I liked Mexico.”

                “Exactly,” Gabriel argued, “we’ve been there already. It’s time for something new.”

                “Like the Dominican.” Altair smirked, leaning forward in his arm chair by the fire, “glad you’re agreeing on this with me.”

                “I’m not,” Gabriel threw up his hands, “Jamaica would be way cooler! The accents…”

                “You’re not going to get an accent by staying there for a week, dummy.”

                “I think we should ship you to Dominican in a crate, and the rest of us can go to Jamaica,” Gabriel said, “that would be the best plan. Hey, don’t look at me like that, we’ll put food and water in the crate…”

                “Oh,” Maya pretended to look scandalized, “Altair, you want some water for that burn?”

                “That wasn’t a burn…”

                “Stop it, you three,” Alice said firmly, “I haven’t decided where we’re going yet, I just said somewhere hot. It might be the desert in Somalia….” She laughed at the chorus of groans, “I’m kidding…”

                “I for one, think somewhere humid would be nice,” Shakra said, and Azura nodded in agreement.

                They all looked up as the bell over the door rang, and Alice couldn’t help it, her fingers curled around the arms of her chair. Already she was expecting more trouble.

                Two girls came through the door, a tall red-head in a long green winter coat, a bag slung over one shoulder, followed by a girl with short blonde hair, who was wearing a dress and black tights and rubbing her arms against the cold. When they spotted Alice they both squealed, and Alice’s mouth dropped open, “Lacy? Tricia?”

                The harpy and the witch surged forward and practically knocked her over hugging her at the same time, and Alice found herself trying to get her breath as they both squeezed her enthusiastically.

                “Alice!” Tricia squeaked, “we came to see you! We heard you made Athena mad!”

                “What?” Alice gawped at her, “that was last night!”

                “Word gets around, “ Lacy began unbuttoning her coat, waving to the others who still sat by the fire looking at her in surprise, “hey everyone!”

                Tricia was practically jumping up and down, “it’s so good to be back in the shop! I missed it! I missed all of you guys!”

                Azura seemed to be trying to hold back a smile, “we missed you too, Tricia, and your unquenchable enthusiasm.”

“Alice, I’ve been practicing really hard,” Tricia whirled on her, “and I’m a lot better witch now, at least, I think I am.”

                “That’s great,” Alice smiled at her excitement, “but you guys,” she looked back and forth between them, at their winter jackets, “we were actually just going to move the shop to someplace warm.”

                “Oh!” Tricia clapped her hands together excitedly, which was muffled by her bright purple mitts, “excellent! How about the Dominican, it’s so nice.”

                Altair gave an “ah hah!” of triumph and shot Gabriel a smirk, “see? It’s so nice!”

                Gabriel just rolled his eyes.

                “I packed warm clothing!” Tricia grinned.

                “You packed skimpy clothing,” Lacy grumbled, “so what’s new?”

                Alice grinned at the both of them, they were ridiculous, but she realized she really had missed having them around, “do you guys want to come with us? We’d love to have you.”

                Both girls indicated their enthusiasm, and Alice found herself on the receiving end of another rib-crushing hug. Alice was just about to turn and head for the backroom, to move the shop, when the bell rang again, and this time when she turned around it wasn’t another old friend.

                Sara was leaning in the doorframe, a smirk on her face. Her dress was even more ridiculous than Tricia’s, a tight sweater-dress that looked practically painted on, and a pair of high, leather boots.

                Alice shook her head in disbelief. Thinking that she shouldn’t be shocked, not after touching the network and stabbing a goddess, nothing should shock her. But it was shocking that Sara still persisted.           “Is there something mentally unstable about you, that you keep trying for Altair?” She said quietly, “or have you come to get revenge or something.”

                Sara gave her a scornful look and strode into the shop. Her voice was laced with venom, “if I truly wanted your boyfriend, I would have him. You think he really  prefers you over me? Just look in a mirror. But it doesn’t matter, my beef is with you now. No one punches me and gets away with it.”

                Alice suppressed a groan. Fighting someone like Sara shouldn’t be a problem, but she was tired of it.

                Tricia suddenly spoke up, “Um, guys. Bored now.”

                Before Alice could say anything, or even move, Tricia shot one arm out and send a stream of threads at Sara. The girl shrieked as the colorful magic ensnared her, winding around the tight sweater dress. She seemed to suddenly grow smaller and smaller, her body shrinking all the way to the ground, the gleaming magic sinking in as she changed. When the threads had all vanished, the only thing that remained of Sara was a very small, very irritated squirrel.

                Alice’s mouth dropped open, “Tricia…you…turned her into a…a…”

                “Squirrel,” Tricia stamped her foot angrily, “drat! She was supposed to be a hamster!”

                The squirrel chattered at them angrily and ran for the door, smacking into the glass at the bottom in a desperate attempt to escape.

                “Er…” said Alice, ‘that will wear off, right?”

                Tricia walked to the door and let the irate squirrel outside, “couple of days and she’ll be her charming self again.”

                Alice had to bite her lip to keep from smiling, “Tricia, that was…I’m not going to say I didn’t enjoy that, but you simply can’t go around changing people into rodents.”

                “But I need practice,” Tricia pouted, “my hamster spell came out as a squirrel. I got all mixed up.”

                Alice rolled her eyes and gave up, “alright, lets head for the Dominican.”

                “Yeah!” Altair pumped one fist in the air.

                “No fair, dating the shop owner,” Gabriel said sulkily, “unfair advantage.”

                “You’ll love it,” Maya plunked herself down on his lap, “and I’ll get to try that new bathing suit I got…”

                Gabriel looked far more interested in the Dominican suddenly, “yeah?”

                Alice strode into the backroom , unlocked the cupboard and pulled the door back, revealing the large tangle of pulsing magic that sent them all over the world. She took one last look through the doorway, at her friends, new and old, laughing and teasing one another. She smiled.

                “Buckle up, guys! Here we go again!”

                                                                            THE END

Please see "Goddess Unraveled" for book 3.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

676K 31K 23
"Who will we send after the little witch?" The room went silent as one of them stood up from her throne, pacing forward. Her skirts flowed over the m...
1.3K 201 29
What if you had the ability to write? What if you couldn't control the story you created? And what if, the magic kingdom your hands are so keen on wr...
598 85 43
With no memories of her past, Alice lives a new life with her best friend Tristan, while her ghost squad desperately tries to save Alice before time...
41 1 25
If there has been one thing Aurora Sparks has learnt about magic, it's that it's worlds more complicated and unpredictable than textbooks made it out...