the beauty of water: deep end...

By thunder_roses

𝚆𝚊𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚒𝚜 𝚊 𝚞𝚗𝚒𝚚𝚞𝚎 𝚏𝚘𝚛𝚌𝚎. 𝙸𝚝 𝚌𝚊𝚗 𝚋𝚎 𝚋𝚘𝚝𝚑 𝚍𝚎𝚕𝚒𝚌𝚊𝚝𝚎 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚍𝚎𝚊𝚍𝚕𝚢--�... More

prologue.
chapter one.
chapter two.
chapter three.
chapter four.
chapter five.
chapter seven.
chapter eight.
chapter nine.
chapter ten.
chapter eleven.
chapter twelve.
chapter thirteen.
chapter fourteen.
chapter fifteen.
chapter sixteen.
chapter seventeen.
chapter eighteen.
chapter nineteen.
chapter twenty.
chapter twenty-one.
chapter twenty-two.
chapter twenty-three.
chapter twenty-four.
chapter twenty-five.
chapter twenty-six.
chapter twenty-seven.
chapter twenty-eight.
chapter twenty-nine.
chapter thirty.
epilogue.
The Beauty of Water: Resurfaced|The Finale

chapter six.

4.3K 191 80
By thunder_roses

(Y/n) readjusted the gun holster on her thigh, checking the pistol once again and making sure that everything that she had was in complete order. She waited behind one of the pillars, standing near Fukuzawa as Kunikida was with him—Dazai out in the open as he waited for the Port Mafia to arrive for their meeting.

She let out a sigh, leaning her head back as it gently hit against the vine-covered concrete. She thought as she waited in near silence for their unusual guests to arrive, I know this isn't exactly the best route the agency wanted to take. But if what I've been told is correct, then the last person to ever suggest this should've been Atsushi—yet it was his idea in the first place. What a strange kid...

She was broken from her thoughts as she heard footsteps approaching their position, turning slightly as she spotted Dazai leaping down from the perch he was sitting on previously to speak to the incoming leader of the Port Mafia—Ougai Mori.

(Y/n) listened to their brief conversation, pulling out her water bottle from her pocket and angling it so she could see the incoming people. Her eyes flicked between the group behind Mori back to Dazai, her nerves beginning to return from the ride there. That was when Fukuzawa and Kunikida stepped out, Mori acknowledging the agency president's presence.

She angled her water bottle once again as she noticed Fukuzawa leaving her eyeline, watching as they walked out and in front of each other as they closed the large gap that was previously between them.

She carefully listened to their conversation, thinking about all the bad possibilities that could occur if this meeting somehow went horribly wrong. Each one becoming worse and bloodier than the last.

I hope you guys know what you're doing, she thought as she swallowed the lump in her throat. I might've been gone for a couple years, but I can see that you guys are still as crazy as ever.

That was when she felt a great burst of wind, nearly knocking the water bottle right out of her hand from the sheer force. She quickly grabbed it before it could hit the ground, stuffing it into her pocket as she turned ever so slightly around the corner to see what had occurred.

She saw Mori and Fukuzawa holding blades to each other's throats—a katana at Mori's throat while a scalpel was at Fukuzawa's.

(Y/n) reached down to her pistol, resting her hand against the handle as she saw a single droplet of what looked to be green snow. What is this? Radiation? Wait, is this...?

She watched as Fukuzawa's hologram disappeared, turning to Tanizaki as she said, "Very useful, nice work."

He silently nodded in response, prompting the real Fukuzawa to appear in between the pillars she and the redhead had been hiding behind. Tanizaki peered around the corner, (Y/n) following the action as she pushed back the strap holding down the pistol, preparing to use it if necessary.

Mori then commented after the quick fight ended, "That was an enjoyable meeting." He turned away, beginning to walk back to the group he had with him. "Let us continue it on the battlefield."

"The agency will be recovering Q tonight," Fukuzawa stated, stopping Mori in his tracks.

"And?"

"Don't get in our way tonight," he warned. "For the sake of both of us."

"Why?"

"Because that's our sole similarity: That we love this city."

And interesting take, (Y/n) thought as they continued to talk, pulling her hand away from the pistol as she flicked the strap back on. If you think about it, these organizations are two sides of the same coin—one working in the night while the other works with the sun up. At least more than the Port Mafia.

"That is all from me," Mori stated as he turned back around to the agency members. "Dazai, the offer still stands for you to return to the executive team."

"No way," Dazai responded with a slight chuckle. "You're the one who kicked me out of the Port Mafia in the first place."

"Did you not quit because you wanted to?"

"You were afraid, weren't you?" Dazai looked from the ground back to Mori. "That I might someday aspire to take your position and put a knife to your throat. Just as you did to your predecessor." A smile grew across his face. "Evil expects evil from others. I don't agree to allying with you, either."

After a brief moment of silence, Mori turned away. "What a pity. Oh well." He began to walk away, stopping suddenly once again and turning back slightly—his eyes hitting (Y/n) as she furrowed her brows. "Miss (L/n), I believe one of our executives made an offer for you to join the Port Mafia a while ago. If he's not too upset about it, I suppose that offer still stands."

She didn't say anything, just maintaining her firm expression. She then let out a sigh, simply responding, "I decline. Again."

With that, the Port Mafia exited the meeting.

(Y/n) stood in the agency at one of the empty desks, she had her pistol laid out as she had two extra magazine cartridges set out to reload in later cases. She went through each, checking them as she adjusted her belt and set the cases in small slots for each of them. She once again checked her pistol, putting it into her holster as she readjusted her coat.

"I know that rain jacket of yours is a signature," Dazai began as he walked over to her, causing her to look up from her pistol and holster, "but maybe you should go for something less rememberable when we go to extract Q. If my suspicions are correct, than a certain someone might be there as well."

"You think I should change into something else?" she questioned as she looked down to her jacket in boots. "I suppose I could pull out that other black jacket and boots pair I had packed away. I think it's a bit quieter than wearable rubber and less noticeable, if that's what you mean."

"Sure. That'll work." Dazai nodded slightly as she pulled off the jacket, setting it on the desk as it revealed her loaded belt and holster. "You seem prepared."

"I'm not risking it with the Guild," she stated as she kneeled down, grabbing her duffle bag from underneath the desk and setting it on top. "This is, I guess, the second time in a while I'll have to legitimately fight someone rather than shoot the hinges off of a dryer door."

"Which was an excellent shot, by the way," he commented, earning a quick "thanks" from the (h/c)-haired girl.

She pulled out the jacket she spoke about, pulling it over her black long-sleeve as it hid her belt a bit better than the raincoat did. She sat on the chair, pulling off her (f/c) boots as she reached in to grab the other pair—a more combat boot-like pair with laces.

"When Mori mentioned the other offer to join the Port Mafia, the one more directed at me, did you ever think that I would've said 'yes'?" (Y/n) inquired as she pulled on one boot, reaching over to grab the other before lacing them up. "I know that was a problem the first time, but what about the second?"

"Well, what were you thinking in that moment?" Dazai asked in response, taking a couple steps over and leaning against the desk she had her bag rested on top of. "What was running through your mind the second he asked that?"

She stopped after lacing up her right book, looking up as she leaned her elbows against her knees. She scratched her chin as she thought for a moment. She then answered, "I guess I was thinking about what happened after Chuuya asked me to join."

"When I had impeccable timing and rescued you from that awkward situation?" he questioned with a smirk, putting up his fist in the air as if he were some kind of noble knight. "I guess that is an admirable memory to look back on—"

"Not that one, you idiot." She cut him off, causing him to look back at her as he kept his fist in the air. "After we left the building, running off to Bar Lupin right as the moon was one of the few light sources above us." She sat back in her seat, resting her hands on her thighs. "When, you know..."

He dropped his hand, allowing it to hit against his leg as he traced his eyes along her features. His smirk had faded as well, his silence prompting her to lean down and lace up her left boot—finishing off the semi-new look.

"Alright," she began once she finished up, readjusting the sock underneath as she began to look up, "if we want to head where they're keeping Q, we should head out now—"

Just as she looked up, she felt a hand press against her cheek, gently but suddenly pulling her forward and tilting her head upward. She wasn't able to ask what he was doing as she was cut off by a pair of lips pressing against hers in a soft motion.

(Y/n) was shocked at first, clearly not expecting the tender motion—but that certainly wasn't to say that she didn't enjoy it.

After a moment, Dazai pulled away, leaning his forehead against hers as he said in a near-whisper, "I think I owed you that for a bit too long."

"No kidding." The two's lips met again, allowing her to sink more into the kiss as she used one hand to gently wrap around his wrist while the other rested on his shoulder.

She exhaled through her nose, enjoying the feeling that she had missed for so long. A brief moment that she was unable to forget from the first time it happened.

I've missed this.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.8K 186 18
SOUKOKU. I haven't touched grass in hours 0//0 But anyways- TW: - suicide (duh💀) -smut (gets better as the story goes on) -self harm -gore - angst �...
379K 15.2K 37
"𝕀 𝕕𝕠𝕟'𝕥 𝕥𝕣𝕖𝕒𝕥 𝕡𝕖𝕠𝕡𝕝𝕖 𝕓𝕒𝕕𝕝𝕪, 𝕀 𝕥𝕣𝕖𝕒𝕥 𝕥𝕙𝕖𝕞 𝕒𝕔𝕔𝕠𝕣𝕕𝕚𝕟𝕘𝕝𝕪." ◑ ━━━━━ ▣ ━━━━━ ◐ Y/n was reckless. As a high schoo...
309K 11K 28
𝚆𝚊𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚒𝚜 𝚋𝚘𝚝𝚑 𝚐𝚛𝚊𝚌𝚎𝚏𝚞𝚕 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚙𝚘𝚠𝚎𝚛𝚏𝚞𝚕, 𝚊 𝚏𝚘𝚛𝚌𝚎 𝚝𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝚌𝚊𝚗 𝚐𝚒𝚟𝚎 𝚋𝚒𝚛𝚝𝚑 𝚝𝚘 𝚗𝚎𝚠 𝚕𝚒𝚏𝚎 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚝𝚊...
22.6K 965 33
𝚆𝚑𝚎𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚛 𝚒𝚝 𝚒𝚜 𝚞𝚗𝚒𝚟𝚎𝚛𝚜𝚊𝚕𝚕𝚢 𝚊𝚌𝚌𝚎𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚍 𝚘𝚛 𝚗𝚘𝚝, 𝚠𝚊𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚒𝚜 𝚘𝚗𝚎 𝚘𝚏 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚠𝚘𝚛𝚕𝚍'𝚜 𝚖𝚘𝚜𝚝 𝚙𝚘𝚠𝚎𝚛𝚏�...