good things fall apart • siri...

By foolintherain

Not even the Youngest Descendant of Godric Gryffindor knew what was so special about her family's sword. The... More

Summer 1971
The Marauders
I'll race you
Stars, planets, galaxies
James Potter and his ducklings
Oblivious
Important business
In style
What makes her so special?
It's a mess
Enough
He'll hate me forever
I'll still like you
Gryffindor
Trés bon!
Who do you love?
Curly haired boys
My Cubby
Crashing down
Gone
These things aren't easy
17th January 1975
20th January 1975
23rd January 1975
24th January 1975
25th January 1975
3rd Febuary 1975
Abandoned
Stumbling blindly
I should be doing alright
Us
Hogwarts is calling your name
Crowded mind
Good times, bad times
Birthday boy
We're often left confused
Say no to Sirius Black
Gryffindor red
I hate boys
The Youngest Descendent
My favourite
Cornered animals
Family
Future weddings and firewhisky
Padfoot
She's back
Rearrange the stars
Tell me
Misdemeanours
Stormy weather
Communication breakdown
Intervention
Those four letters
It was time
Betrothed?
Putting on a show
The Blacks
Wicked Walburga
Who's to blame?
You look like me now
Naked truth
Dogs
Out of hand
18th June 1976
A wonderful day at the Ministry
Brothers
Everything's changed
The handsome boy
Uncertainty
Watch me
Chaos and chickens
Answers
Teenage fantasies
Fancy who you want to fancy
Puppy
Compromised positions
Him or her?
Jealous
'I'm perfectly fine' is a lie
Fragile things get broken
Baby steps
Patriarchs
Tattoos together
It wasn't that type of trip
Pretty stars burn out eventually
No more hiding
The beautiful girl
I love you
Reflections
Care
Stay away
Let's fight this together
Perfect
Important interruptions
Si beau!
Bliss and Beauxbatons
Rabastan
Unreachable dreams
Suffocated
Camille Dubois
Storm Sirius
We're bad for each other
You've been so brave
Forever now
Good things fall apart
The end-ish
During the Christmas Holidays 1977
1st August 1978

We are Gods

1.1K 28 10
By foolintherain

He was screaming. The first time this school year.

Thrashing violently the handsome boy pulled the duvet almost all the way off of the bed. Hands gripping the sheets until his knuckles went white, he writhed as if all of his nightmares were playing out in real life. Red flashes and someone's screeching voice drowning him in a torturous dreamland. There was never a lot anyone could do when he got like this. He'd wail and be tossing until someone woke him up, and even then, he'd shake as if it wasn't over.

"You dare defy me?!" The witch seethed, baring her teeth like a wild animal. Her hand sliced through the air as it connected with the cheek of the boy before her, a bloodcurdling cry falling from his lips in response. The boy was on his knees now, hair wild and in face flushed in anger. The type of anger where his eyes streamed and his throat growled, the palms of his hands going clammy as he clenched them tight to stop himself lunging at the woman shouting curses at him. Every inch of the room was echoing with her shrieking, the walls seemingly shaking as she snatched for the boy's hair.

"You will look at me when I address you, ungrateful swine!" She tugged viscously at the strands, forcing his eyes to meet hers, but his vision was blurry from the tears that pooled against his will. The boy's head snapped back in such force his neck cracked, sending shooting pain down across his shoulder. He was quivering...

Quivering as the witch raised her wand again.

"You will obey me!" Her tone was definite and anyone with any sense would've complied. But the boy narrowed his eyes in challenge.

He was no stranger to her icy glare that shot shards of glass straight through his soul. He was no stranger to her screaming demands. He was no stranger to the pain that would be inflicted with his next words.

"I'd rather die!"

Screeching roared through the dark house. Gut-wrenching wails intertwined with the continual stream of curses that blasted through the air, as more red shot everywhere. A sickening symphony of sorrow that oozed its way into the walls and rested once again in the atmosphere.

Blood now pooled around the boy who was sprawled out on the floor, lifeless, like a marionette doll with its strings cut. The only sign of life were shallow and ragged breaths falling from his lips. When his head lifted slightly, eyes clouded over in a mist of pain, the violent stabbing only stung every inch of his body again.

The witch's words were lost now. Lost in the fog that swirled in the boy's mind. He was sure he'd be screaming again, if his body hadn't gone numb by now.

Another figure had joined them, standing in the doorway of the cold bedroom and watching on with despair mangled on his features. The curly black hair was familiar to the boy who slammed his fists on the dark wood floor, a desperate cry for help as the evil woman kept her wand aimed expertly at him. However, the curly haired figure only watched on and made no move to aid him, as a hoarse shout erupted from deep in his chest.

No one was coming to help him. No one would save him. The boy had met his fate...

James placed a hand on Sirius' shoulder in the dark, the messy haired boy not being able to see without his glasses. He always woke up when Sirius got like this and in the sudden rush to get to his best friend, he always forgot his glasses. James could hardly see, the darkness not helping, so he wasn't even sure he had a grip of Sirius' shoulder at all. It was always difficult to wake him up when he had a nightmare, but this time Sirius' eyes shot open wide almost immediately. His hand grabbed James' wrist in panic as he bolted up right, dragging the messy haired boy onto his bed by accident. James grumbled as he squirmed around on top of Sirius' sheets, but he could hear his best friend's uneven breathing and pushed himself up off the bed quickly.

"It wasn't real, mate. You can sleep." Voice sleepy, but mind on high alert, James managed to get Sirius to let go of his wrist so he could go to find his glasses. Once he had, he lit the oil lamp in the bathroom to give them some light, a warm yellow glow spilling from underneath the door.

Sirius was shaking like he always did when he woke up from a nightmare, stormy grey eyes swirling with emotions James couldn't even imagine. His head slowly turned to face his best friend, the boy's messy hair even more unruly than usual, but James wasn't sure he was really being seen. Sirius looked distant and as if his mind was still trapped in his nightmare. Which it was.

James had enough sense to realise that his best friend never had nightmares when Ellie slept by his side, but with her tucked up in her own dorm, there was no way to get to her. Instead, he sat himself on the edge of Sirius' bed until he was ready to speak.

They'd done this lots of times. Especially in first year when Sirius first got sorted into Gryffindor. The handsome boy had been terrified about what would happen to him when he went home for Christmas. He'd written to his parents and to Regulus, but no one ever replied. The thought of what would come of him now that he wasn't Slytherin kept Sirius up at night for weeks and when he did sleep, he'd have horrendous nightmares. He'd wake the rest of the boys up every time with his shouting in the night, but James quickly got into a routine of waking him up when it happened. They'd both wrap themselves up in Sirius' duvet and talk until the handsome boy was ready to go back to sleep again. And James never complained.

When Ellie began to crash in their dorm most nights, being forced into Sirius' bed out of elimination, his nightmares seemed to dissolve. It was completely bizarre, but James never had to get up in the middle of the night and Sirius' sleep remained dreamless. Not unless Ellie spent a random night in her dorm.

For some strange reason, the beautiful girl acted as a shield from the darkness that crept into Sirius' mind at night and even though he'd never told her, he was extremely grateful. The handsome boy wouldn't know what he'd do if she left him to fend for himself on a regular basis - him waking up now a prime example of how his nightmares came back without her.

Sirius felt he had no one to turn to when he got put in Gryffindor. If he were in Slytherin, there would've been Narcissa Black (his youngest cousin) and Andromeda Black (his favourite cousin). At that time, Sirius was still cast under his family's spell and believed the only way he'd survive at Hogwarts, would be under the protection of his cousins and the family's house. But instead, he'd found himself in the house of the lions with no one he knew. Narcissa wouldn't cast him a second glance in the hallways, no matter how hard he tried to speak to her, for she was disgusted he hadn't turned out Slytherin. In her mind that meant he weren't a true Black and the rest of his family seemed to think the same. Andromeda wanted to speak to Sirius, she was very fond of her eldest cousin, but every time she did Narcissa was there to drag her away.

Now, Andromeda was the only cousin he could tolerate, for she herself had been branded a 'blood traitor'.

At the end of Sirius' first year, she graduated, quickly going on to marry her boyfriend - Muggle-born Wizard called Ted Tonks. Sirius thought it was great and he was very happy for his cousin, but Blacks don't have associations with anyone that isn't of the purest blood. Andromeda tarnished her family's reputation by not only marrying, but then going on to start a family with a Muggle-born, consequently having her cast out. It wasn't until then, that Sirius realised just how warped his family's views were, for Andromeda had only ever been kind to him. She was beautiful and had a gentle soul, had been the perfect member of their family that everyone doted over. Yet, they'd still cast her out anyway.

By second year, Sirius was starting to rebel because of it. He no longer supported anything his family did that seemed even remotely questionable and he had Ellie and James talk a lot about their views on Muggles, Muggle-borns and anything related. He had Remus and Peter educate him in all things non-magic and how they worked. Remus would tell him about classic Muggle literature and the different culture, and Peter would explain what it was like to live in a world without magic. The more he heard, the more he was fascinated, and the more he couldn't believe he ever brought into the lies his parents spread.

Sirius had seen what Ellie and James' parents were like with them and he'd come to realise just how wrong his life at home was, just how underserving he was of his treatment. And as a result, he started speaking up more.

Third year was when everything took a turn and he actively sort out ways to defy his parents' wishes, but by this point Regulus had already been at Hogwarts a year and become the perfect Slytherin son. Sirius was and still is somewhat jealous, but he'd rather be respected than loved. And the people he surrounded himself with now, respected him.

They loved him too, but that wasn't as important to the handsome boy.       

"Remind me why Cubby slept in her dorm again?" Sirius finally broke to silence, keeping his voice low as to not disturb Remus and Peter anymore. It was likely Remus had already been woken by his screaming, so keeping him up longer would just be rude. James chuckled a little at his comment, shuffling to sit crisscross at the end of Sirius' bed.

The handsome boy's voice had been steady, masking the fact his hands were still shaking and there was sweat dripping down his forehead.

Sirius too, knew that Ellie was the reason for the absence of his nightmares and now couldn't think of why she'd had to leave in the first place. The beautiful girl had no idea that she herself was the reason she'd never witnessed one of Sirius' night terrors. James often spoke of them to her and Remus and Peter always brought them up the morning after too, but she was just under the impression that was coincidence. In fact, Sirius didn't want to tell her, for he found it rather embarrassing. He didn't need Ellie babying him. 

"She said she didn't want Lily getting lonely, but honestly, I think she needed to wrap your present." James replied, "Happy birthday, mate."

If he hadn't just woken his best friend up from a nightmare, he would've bowled Sirius over into a huge bear hug, but that could wait until the morning. Now, Sirius getting a proper night sleep was the priority and the handsome boy thanked his best friend with a weak smile, before settling back down again.

All the Marauders were up early in the morning for celebrations and Ellie woke Lily up with her crashing about to get to the boys' dorm. The beautiful girl was crowded around Sirius bed with the rest of her friends in no time though, clutching tightly onto her present for him. James brought him new broomstick wax, some of the finest around, that guaranteed to be non-slip. Remus put together a box of pranking supplies, complete with dungbombs and sugar quills. Peter gave him a mountain of chocolate frogs and also some Muggle sweets he had his parents send for the occasion. His last gift was a new pair of Quidditch gloves from Ellie, ready for their first match of the season at the weekend.

The Blacks never did celebrations and so Sirius knew not to expect anything from his family, not even a letter. Regulus however, had written him a short note that said nothing more than 'have a good day.' Sirius was grateful, nonetheless. The only other letter he received was one from Andromeda Black (now Tonks), his disowned cousin always being kind enough to acknowledge his birthdays and write to him regularly to make sure he was okay.

Getting any gift at all was more than he believed he deserved, because up until his first birthday at Hogwarts, he'd never received a gift in his life. Spending money on frivolous things wasn't in the Black family nature and so anything he ever had received was purely practical and rather boring. When he was growing up, it had been books on learning Latin and French or new ugly dress robes for some event he didn't want to go to. Now being gifted things that actually meant something, or that his friends knew he'd like, meant the world and he'd never be able to show how grateful he was.

Unfortunately, the joyous day was interrupted by lessons, something Sirius complained about profusely. They would've skipped all day, but it would be painfully obvious that they were doing so on purpose. It was a rather unbelievable coincidence that not only had the whole group of friends 'fallen ill', but on Sirius Black's birthday too. None of them fancied detention that night, not when they could be celebrating.

So instead, they all trudged back and forth to their classes all day, trying to make it as special as possible.

James wouldn't let his best friend lift even a finger, telling him that he should spend the day relaxing and even carried all of his things to lessons. The messy haired boy looked exhausted by the time they'd trekked down to the Forbidden Forest for Care of Magical Creatures and back, but he still insisted that Sirius should be treated like a King. This, of course, only inflated the handsome boy's ego.

Ellie didn't let go of his hand all day, which Sirius didn't have any complaints about, not even during lessons. An onlooker would think they'd been glued together, the way they both endeavoured to spend the day using only one hand for everything. The baby Nifflers that Professor Kettleburn had for the class to interact with couldn't even detach Ellie's hand from Sirius', and she'd been desperate for their lesson on the creatures ever since the beginning of the year. She made him dance with her in the courtyards to the melodic tune of their laughter, spinning and stumbling until his head was dizzy and every part of his soul full of light.

The day may not have been as exciting as it could've been without lessons getting in the way, but it was still better than what Sirius could've wished for. However, just because night drew in, that didn't mean the day was over.

Carefully planned out on James and Remus' part, involving food on Peter's, and just a hint of impulsivity for Ellie and Sirius - they cooked a plan. A plan that broke many of the school rules, but as if that deterred the Marauders. The very thought of sneaking around made them all buzz with anticipation, something that couldn't be matched by any other experience. 

James and Peter were sent down to the kitchens to convince the house elves to hand over as many sweet treats as possible, which wasn't an entirely difficult task. They had more than enough without even having to beg - the house elves were just eager to please that way.

Ellie, Sirius and Remus waited near-by with the Invisibility Cloak, desperately trying to 'act normal' as to not raise any suspicions.

The rest of the school were sat in the Great Hall for dinner though, so the only person they needed to make sure they avoided was Filtch. That was easier said than done when three of them had to carry plates of cookies and cupcakes, whilst also dashing through the halls. It was fair to say, they weren't exactly inconspicuous.

Huddling under the Invisibility Cloak wasn't easy when they all had things to carry, not when they were trying to get outside as quickly as possible either. James got sent slightly ahead, the only one under the cloak instead, a hand appearing in mid-air every now and again to beckon the rest of the group on when the coast was clear. Ellie was the other one not carrying food stuffs, having her arms piled high with thick blankets and extra jumpers - they'd need them if they stood a chance outside for very long.

The group were as sneaky as ever though, for they'd had years of practice and managed to make it out onto the Hogwarts grounds without any issue.             

The early November air was crisp, especially paired with the night, bringing freezing temperatures capable of icing over puddles. Not the ideal weather conditions, but something unavoidable.

In an effort to not be caught, they all raced down the grassy slopes towards the tree line of the Forbidden Forest, the trees seemingly whispering for them to come nearer. They were no strangers to the forest, nor what lurked within and whilst students were told to never enter alone, the Marauders just couldn't resist. From second year they'd been sneaking in and exploring, playing hide and seek amongst the trees or trying to track magical creatures. It wasn't intimidating to them, like it was to everyone else (Peter's ever timid nature aside), for the friends had buckets of confidence to go around. Instead, the forest was a source of adventure, embodying what it meant to risk-take. And, of course, that was irresistible to the untameable group of friends.

Picking a place that ensured they couldn't be seen from the castle at any point, when they were just a few metres into the forest, a wordless agreement was made that they'd found their spot and all simultaneously formed a circle. Laughing wildly, they could probably have been heard by something somewhere, but the adrenaline pumping blocked out most rational thoughts.

Even under the cover of all the gigantic trees, looming so high above their heads that the canopy of leaves couldn't be seen, they knew the stars were shining brightly for them that night and the crescent moon was casting enough light for them to just about see what they were doing.

James gathered fallen branches and twigs from near-by, putting them together and setting them alight with his wand. Without warning a roaring fire ignited and Peter stumbled back as to not get caught in the flames. It instantly casted warmth and light everywhere, making it easier for Ellie to hand out the blankets to sit on and jumpers to curl up in. It wasn't entirely clear who's clothes were who's, but that was irrelevant, and they all just got cosy with whatever they were given, settling in their circle.

Cookies were shared around with uncontrollable chuckles and huge grins, whilst they all got comfortable in front of the glowing fire.

Its flames danced rhythmically, casting an engulfing orange glow across all of their faces. Reddening cheeks with a flushed warmth that was partially left over from the thrill of running across the grounds. Nothing had ever made them all look so beautiful, highlighting their features with not only a gorgeous glow, but a radiance that was unmatchable. The flames reflected the raging fires of their souls, giving away their secrets and deepest fears. There was no such thing as privacy when you were as ineffable as them, for everyone had to know just how they did it. How they managed to be so other-worldly. But really, it was no secret at all - their spirits were just infallible. Forever young and always adventurous. Born from laughter and nurtured in chaos, fires like theirs didn't burn out easily. Not when they had each other to keep reigniting their flames.       

"Hand me one of those cupcakes, we've got to sing happy birthday!" James reached in the pocket of his trousers, pulling out a singular candle he lit by poking the wick in the fire. Carefully sticking it in the top of a cupcake, provided by Peter, he handed the makeshift birthday cake to his best friend.

They were a chorus of out of tune and out of time lyrics, but Sirius grinned the whole time, shutting his eyes tight at the end to blow out the candle.

"What did you wish for?" Peter asked enthusiastically, but James hit him over the back of the head.

"He can't tell you! Then it won't come true, will it?" The messy head boy scoffed, making them all chuckle with his ridiculous ways.

But in fact, Sirius hadn't wished for anything, for everything he wanted was right in front of him.

Someone started a competition as to who could exhale the largest breath, making them all look like dragons puffing smoke out in front of them, but inevitably both Sirius and James had to win. It ended in the messy haired boy concurring, but only because it was Sirius' birthday. He made a point of saying next time, he'd be the winner.

It was moments like these that reminded them all, that regardless of what was happening in the rest of the world, they'd always be able to find safety and comfort within each other. They were all more than happy sitting around, doing nothing but chatting and making up insignificant games that always came to no conclusion, huddled under ill-fitting jumpers and thick blankets which kept the cold from creeping in. If it were possible, this is all they'd ever do. Even Remus would give up his education if it came to choosing between that and moments where he lost himself in hysterical laughter, surrounded by the people he held most dear.

They were family and the most important people in each other's lives. That meant a whole lot more than anything materialistic. 

"Do you think we really have to grow up?" When they lulled into a peaceful quiet for a few moments, Ellie spoke out loud, pricking up all their ears, "There's got to be some spell out there or maybe potion that makes you stay young forever." Her eyes were trained on the fire, as if not entirely present, but lost deep in thought instead.

For a moment, her words were lost in the silence. Meaningless and hypothetical.

"I guess there is... But surely it's not as great as it seems." Remus was first to reply, following her gaze towards the fire, "If you stay young forever, you'd outlive everyone you know. You'd never get to be an adult."

"That's the point." Sirius commented immediately, seemingly on the same wavelength as Ellie.

"I don't want anything, but this. Ever." There was another silence, in which the beautiful girl's solemn tone sucked all the air out from around them.

In truth, she was asking for things between them to never change, but she wasn't stupid enough to think that was possible. Sometime in the future they'd all have to grow up and get jobs which called for them to leave their youthful ways behind. Their parents were proof of that. Cyrus and Fleamont had endless stories of escapades they went on when they were the children's ages, but now they spent most of their time sat reading newspapers and in business meetings. It was potentially the beautiful girl's biggest fear. That these were the best days they were going to have, and serious things would get in the way of them continuing to live as they pleased. Her soul couldn't take that. She needed to know that every moment of her life would be filled with wild adventures, adrenaline fuelled madness with the boys she sat around with now. No one else made her happy the way they did and just the thought that one day they wouldn't all be around to follow her in impulsive mayhem, was almost sickening.

"Things don't have to change if we don't want them to." James was as desperate for a never-ending childhood as Ellie was, everything had been so perfect up to now, why would he wish for things to change? Moments like these made him feel invincible, as if the universe could throw anything at him and he'd tackle it head on. He never wanted that feeling to fade.

"But they will." Peter's voice was almost inaudible, rendering them silent once more.

Remus however, had a more mature view on the world and could comprehend how even if things did change, that wouldn't be the end of the life as they knew it. Change was inevitable and everyone had to come to terms with it. More than them all, Remus never wanted to step into the real world where he'd be discriminated against for his condition. At Hogwarts, he had his friends that accepted him, teachers that understood and a safe place to go every full moon. But he wasn't naive enough to fall into the trap of thinking it would stay that way forever. Eventually, he'd have to brave life as a werewolf alone. He didn't want to, but he'd have to. Just like they'd all have to go through change.

"So what if things don't stay the same?" He announced, louder than was really necessary, "Us, this, doesn't change. Our circumstances do, but that doesn't mean we have to stop being friends."

"Family." Sirius muttered and Ellie reached out to grab his hand tightly.

"You're talking as if after Hogwarts this all ends. We all say goodbye and move on." There was a forcefulness in Remus' voice that kept his friends listening intently, "I don't want that and I hope you lot don't, so why panic about it? We'll be the same, just older and probably sat in James and Lily's living room instead."

"That's something I could get behind, I guess." With a coy smile, James ran a hand through his hair rather bashfully, though they weren't all convinced.

"I just don't want to ever lose moments like this." Sirius nudged Ellie's side as she shifted her gaze down to where their hands were clasped together.

"You won't." The handsome boy told her vehemently. He'd do everything in his power to make sure she didn't, her over everyone.

Sirius understood what Ellie was saying loud and clear. He too, felt identical. Life after Hogwarts was so unknown for him, that he clung to every second he got to spend with his friends. He had a family he knew he wouldn't be able to bring himself to go back to after school, so where did he go instead? Would they force him into their perfect pureblood life regardless? Perhaps even ship him off to Europe? Keeping him under their control, but out of sight. If Sirius stayed tied to them, he'd be forced into conforming to whatever twisted beliefs they had on the current political climate - just like Regulus. At the moment, he had the safety of the castle walls, Gryffindor and his true family around him as protection. But after school, suddenly he would be completely vulnerable to their capture. If he didn't force himself to believe that what Remus had said was true, all hope for him was gone. 

"We've got nearly four years left of school still, you know?" Peter reminded them all when the atmosphere turned too sombre for his liking. For now, the smallest Marauder didn't want to worry about what the future would hold. They had enough time to do everything they pleased, and more, before the end of Hogwarts.

Seventh year was when they needed to panic about growing up.

"And Jamie's got to actually get Evans to go out with him if we're going to be sat in their living room." Sirius added with his signature smirk, making sure Ellie's mood was lifted slightly.

"She'll love me back one day." The messy haired boy puffed his chest out as if that made his statement more viable.

"I'll believe it when I see it." Remus teased, earning him an attack from a chuck of cookie James sent flying in his direction.

Even though what the future held was uncertain and no one could know for sure if their friendship would stand the test of time. In that moment, it didn't matter. For now, they could pretend like the whole world was at their command and they dictated how life would play out. It was easier that way - to act as if they were immortal. Run rampages without worrying about the consequences.

Entirely reckless and just young.

For now, they were Gods. Children of the stars sent down to earth to scatter light on a darkened planet. Destined for greatness and encompassing a power that was unattainable by anybody else.

When the Quidditch season began, it was always a huge event. There were only a handful of students out there who didn't enjoy the sport and being on one of the house teams was considered a huge privilege. A privilege that three of the Marauders got to experience.

The whole castle buzzed the morning before a match, students and teachers alike all discussing who they thought were the favourites to win. Competition soared in particular when the two most rivalled houses were playing against each other - Gryffindor versus Slytherin was usually always the first game. Often the majority of Ravenclaw supported Gryffindor, whilst the Hufflepuffs seemed to like Slytherin a lot more. Though, recent drama amongst the students had left Gryffindor with significantly less supporters this game.

Sirius Black being on the team cost them the Ravenclaws which no longer liked the handsome boy after everything that occurred with Jessica Arnell. How he had enough importance to influence a whole house, no one knew. But this was Sirius Black, and if you weren't in love with him, you surely hated him instead. It had caused a little tension with the rest of Gryffindor, the house upset that he'd cost them so many supporters, but James was quick to ensure that they'd win the match anyway.

Darren Wayne had whipped the Gryffindor team into shape, making sure every player was on their A-game. No sloppy throw or disorganised formation slipped through, for they were going to win the House Cup this year. He'd make sure of it.  

Adorn in scarlet and gold robes, three Marauders jittered apprehensively over breakfast. Most eyes were on them, on all of the team that would be on the pitch in a matter of hours, but that wasn't what had them all practically bouncing in their seats.

Quidditch was James' life. He loved the sport with every fibre of his being and winning a match was the most important thing to him. Especially once he'd put on his jersey. He was excited to start playing, not worried for the outcome - the messy haired boy had every faith in them winning.

There was something about the attention Quidditch brought him, which Sirius liked. Shallow, he knew that, but true. Hearing everyone screaming for him whilst he was out on the pitch was more than enough to make him want to keep his spot on the team. It was just an added bonus he got to take his pent-up anger out on some bludgers in the process.

And the last of them, Ellie, she just liked flying. When Joseph Wood had told her that she wasn't intimidating enough and didn't look the part to be a Beater, it had spurred her on even more. Now, she had a point to prove every time she flew out onto the Quidditch pitch, and every time the whole school was shown just how much lion blood ran through her veins.

"It's time to go boys and girls!" With one last swig of pumpkin juice, James stood from his seat and swung his legs over the bench.

The players had to arrive early so they could talk strategies and warm up whilst the rest of the school made their way to the stands.

Sirius had half a pancake hanging out of his mouth and grumbled in protest when Ellie dragged him up to his feet with her. The beautiful girl shoved Sirius' Beater's bat in his hands, making him drop his cutlery immediately, but his complaints didn't stop.

"You'll see us out there." James shot a lopsided smile to Remus and Peter across the table, whilst Ellie forced Sirius away from his food, before glancing up the hall to get one last look at Lily Evans.

The red head would say she wasn't really into Quidditch. In fact, one of her complaints about James, was that he talked about the sport way too often. Yet, she still came to every game and Ellie was sure she heard Lily screaming for the messy haired boy from the stands sometimes. Of course, Lily denied anything of the sort, but James' face still lit up to see her sat up the Gryffindor table with scarlet and gold ribbons tied into her ponytail. Marlene caught him looking and smirked at the red head across from her, before nodding down towards the Marauders. A confused expression washed over Lily's features before her eyes landed on a very smiley James Potter, now waving in her direction. She nearly spat her tea back into her mug, cheeks flushing pink and averting her gaze from the messy haired boy who looked so good in his house colours.

"Are you going to score that winning goal for us today, Potter?!" Marlene yelled over the voices of other students chatting.

"I've not let us down yet, have I, McKinnon?!" Sending the blonde a thumbs up and an even wider smile, James shouted in reply, eyes still fixed on the red head who wouldn't look in his direction again.

"Glad to hear it!" Marlene was purposefully trying to annoy Lily, her friend getting pinker and pinker by the second, "I'll make sure Lils cheers extra loud, okay?!" The red head waved a frantic hand at Marlene from across the table, a desperate attempt to make her be quiet, but the words had already left her mouth.

"If we win, which we will, let me take you to Hogsmeade, Evans?!" The cocky edge to James' voice was back as he ran a bashful hand through his hair.

"I'd rather go with the Giant Squid!" Lily didn't miss a beat, well-rehearsed in turning her ever persistent admirer down.

The rest of the Gryffindor table didn't even bat an eyelid at the exchange, they were used to James Potter striking out by now.

"That's a yes!" Marlene corrected, earning her a warning glare from her friend and a whoop from James, the messy haired boy looking to make his leave before anything else was said on the subject.

He turned abruptly on his heal, looping one arm round each of Ellie and Sirius', beginning to drag them out of the Great Hall.

"You beat some bludger arse, Miss Gryffin!" Marlene shouted after them, "And I don't want to see you slacking either, Black!" The handsome boy leaned around to salute her as best he could as James tugged him away.

"I LOVE YOU, MARLENE MCKINNON!" Ellie announced, far too loud really, just as they reached the doors of the Great Hall. She was giggling wildly, now the adrenaline was kicking in and she waved her Beater's bat around haphazardly, nearly hitting an unsuspecting second year in the process.

"GOOD LUCK!" The chorus of Remus and Peter's voices was the last thing that could be heard before James had dragged his two best friends away.             

Regulus Black, like the rest of the Great Hall, had witnessed the whole exchange and he couldn't help but let the corners of his lips curl up slightly. He kept his head bowed, focussing his eyes on the Slytherin table, but his ears had picked up every word. He didn't care for whatever Marlene McKinnon had to say, nor James Potter's desperate love for Lily Evans, but Ellie and Sirius would be out on the pitch today. Despite his turbulent relationship with his brother, he generally believed Sirius' place on the Gryffindor team was well earned. He was a good flyer and an excellent Beater. Regulus would wish him luck if he could, but it wouldn't look good against his emerald green jumper, and the youngest Black wasn't even sure Sirius would want his encouragement anyway.

Though even still, that wasn't entirely who he cared about.

Quidditch matches were the one time in the school year that he could unapologetically stare at Ellie Gryffin and no one would question why he was doing so. He knew it was perhaps a little creepy, but he would take what he could get.

Narcissa, (and other of his Slytherin 'friends') already questioned where his loyalties lay due to Sirius and letting any of them know he was in madly in love with the Gryffindor heir, would only cause him more problems than he could count. He spent too much time in Ellie's company as it was, even if it were mere minutes with her when he did so, for being in her presence didn't help him get over his infatuation. Just hearing her shout to Marlene McKinnon across the hall, was enough to elicit butterflies in his stomach. The youngest Black felt so helpless in his love for the beautiful girl, for he'd been taught that letting emotions turn your brain to mush was just exposing yourself to weakness. But he couldn't help it.

So even though, his house was playing against the Gryffindors today, he'd always be secretly rooting for the lions.          

"I want to see that tight Hawkshead Attacking Formation, if just one of you are a little out of place, they'll sneak right in." The Gryffindor team were waited in the tunnel, ready to fly out onto the pitch any second, but Darren Wayne had a few last words.

All of them were jumping up and down, trying to keep warm, brooms clutched tightly in one hand. James was muttering words of encouragement to himself, whilst Ellie and Sirius engaged in a mock sword fight with their Beater's bats.

"And once that formation is clean, the Thimblerig Shuffle is the way to go. It'll confuse them, their Keeper this year doesn't have a brain in that thick skull of his." Mable Munro and Sturgis Podmore, the two other Chasers nodded, but James was still getting himself in the zone, "Just keep an eye out, the Slytherins play dirty."

"Yeah, last year, every chance they got they were rounding us up." Sturgis grumbled, "They need to ban the Parkin's Pincer, its foul play."

"They won't try that on me, will they?"

Amy North was the only new member of the team, a tiny second year Seeker. She was timid, but faster at finding the snitch than the last two Seekers on the team combined. Trembling slightly, the tiny girl was pulled into a hug by Mable, who ensured her that Ellie and Sirius would have the Slytherins in a mess.

"Black's Bludger Backbeat, never misses." Darren confirmed, making the handsome boy stop play-fighting with Ellie and puff his chest out.

"Damn right it doesn't. I take pleasure in knocking the snakes off their brooms!"

The team flew out onto the pitch in their usual formation, erupting monstrous cheers from the crowds. It seemed that even though there might not be as many people routing for them, the Gryffindors in the stands were going to scream as loud as ever.

The Slytherins weren't too far behind them in flying out, doing three laps of the field in tight formation to assert their dominance. It was supposed to be intimidating, especially with over half the school roaring for them, but the Gryffindors were used to it and all found their places in the sky without giving them a second glance.

Darren was down on the grass bellow, with the Slytherin Captain and Madam Hootch, shaking hands, as everyone prepared to begin. They both listened to Madam Hootch say something about having 'a nice, clean games', but they were more focussed on staring each other down. When the Captains mounted their brooms and flew to their positions on the field, everyone tensed, for that was a clear indication they were nearly ready to play.

James was closest to the centre of the pitch, eyeing the nearest Slytherin Chaser and ready to steal the quaffle as soon as the whistle was blown. All the crowd shouting was just white noise when he was so focussed - nothing could shake his confidence in his skills.   

Ellie and Sirius had a tactic they came up with themselves, where they tried to take one half of the pitch each. The handsome boy stayed on the Slytherin goal-side, whilst Ellie stuck on the Gryffindor half of the pitch. It meant there was always someone on the attack and always someone on the defence. Inevitably, they had to work together most of the time, but they always had more ground covered than the other team because of it.

Giving Ellie a thumbs up and a big pearly white smile, Darren flew behind her in front of the Gryffindor hoops, both of them then setting their eyes on the centre of the pitch.

Within a matter of moments, Madam Hootch had blown her whistle and the quaffle was in play. James had it instantly, but a bludger being released from its box went soaring upwards and nearly knocked him off his broom straight away. Luckily, he had been ready for it, dodging the ball swiftly and passing the quaffle to Sturgis as fast as possible.

The two Seekers were high above all of the action, already scanning the pitch for wherever the golden snitch was, whilst the rest of the players all darted about below.

As ever, the Slytherin Beaters were out for blood, Mable taking a clip to her shoulder very early on in the game. Sirius however, had been hot on their heels, sending the same bludger right back towards their heads. They barely got out of the way quick enough, both scattering instantly. Though they came back with a vengeance - at one point sending Sturgis spiralling out of control. James and Mable had to intervene to get him flying straight again and they lost the quaffle in the process, opening the pitch up for the Slytherins to score, but lucky Darren was there to block the hoops.

The whole Gryffindor team had a constant eye on where Amy was, for the Slytherin Seeker kept purposefully blatching her to make her fly off course. It was against the rules and should've earned the snakes a foul, but like usual, they got away with it.

James was the first to score, and by forty minutes into the game Gryffindor were up sixty to twenty. The golden snitch had been spotted once, only for it to zoom off far too quickly for either Seeker to catch it and Ellie and Sirius were kept on their toes the whole time. Darren constantly screamed at his teammates about different formations to fly in and tactics to try, almost deafening Ellie who was often flying near-by.

The brunette wondered how he still had a voice by the end of the match.

"AND NORTH CATCHES THE GOLDEN SNITCH! THAT'S ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY POINTS TO GRYFFINDOR, THEY'VE WON THE MATCH!"

The Gryffindor supporters erupted into a chorus of cheers and chants as all the Slytherins booed loudly. Though that couldn't dampen the victory and the whole Gryffindor team congregated on the grassy field bellow with huge smiles on their faces. James was screaming like a mad man, so overwhelmed by the win that he couldn't even think straight. His eyes were wide and hands flying everywhere as he bowled Sirius over in a huge bear hug. Ellie was quick to join them, all whooping and laughing hysterically. Darren and Sturgis hoisted Amy up onto their shoulders, chanting themselves, as the tiny Seeker waved the golden snitch in the air.

The joy that overflowed around them was all-consuming enough to make them all drunk off of victory and it wasn't long until Gryffindors were all swarming the field. Cheers got louder and smiles got wider, no one bothered about how exhausted they were or the fact they absolutely stunk. The adrenaline was still pumping and getting caught amongst all the chaos of the whole house rejoicing around them, was enough to make the team feel on top of the world.

Remus and Peter emerged through the melee, clawing past other students to get to their friends and Ellie lunged at them immediately. She scooped them both up into a bone crushing hug, that sent them all stumbling around with huge smiles.

"ABSOLUTELY BLOODY BRILLIANT, WE WERE!" James screamed, head still spinning with the dizzying excitement from the game.

"Played like professionals!" Peter grinned, waving his Gryffindor scarf in the air.

"WE'LL CELEBRATE LIKE GODS!"

James' announcement caught the attention of everyone near-by, the whole house erupting into a cheer again. There wasn't one match that the Gryffindors won, that wasn't then followed by a party in the common room, and beating the snakes felt like an extra special occasion.

With the messy haired boy's words, students flocked off of the pitch and back up to the castle - sixth and seventh years already making plans for the celebrations.

The Marauders let the crowd disperse first, all continuing to speak enthusiastically about how well they played during the game and Darren Wayne went over to congratulate them all. The Captain gave Ellie a tight hug at the sight of her beaming face, before sending a thumbs up to the boys and racing off towards his friends. James' eyes were searching the crowd before them for his favourite red head, but it was next to impossible to spot anyone and so just told himself he'd speak to her at the party later.

Continuing to bounce up and down, still waving his Gryffindor scarf in the air, Peter led the way back up to the castle. Chanting a tune enthusiastically as he went. Sirius was strutting closely behind him, feeling thoroughly pleased with himself, knowing that he'd played extremely well in the match. It felt like he'd made a point to all the Ravenclaws who switched sides against him, and his ego was definitely inflated as Remus spoke to him about the clever tactics he used. Trailing at the back, making fools of themselves, James carried Ellie in a piggyback as the beautiful girl laughed wildly. The messy haired boy struggled to keep his glasses on right, stumbling around as he walked, but it only made them both more amused.

It was definitely a going to take a while for the high to wear off.

Still attempting to hide the corners of his lips curling up, Regulus Black also trudged back up to the castle, secretly celebrating his own win. The rest of his house were grumbling and spitting insults at the Gryffindors, but he was more than happy to see them take down the Slytherins.

If fact, he'd decided if his brother and Ellie Gryffin passed by him, he was going to congratulate them.

The youngest Black had watched the game, less enthusiastically than the rest of his house, keeping sat in his seat the whole time. Lucius Malfoy, kept telling him to get more into the action, but every time he'd just pretend to cheer a little louder for a while. Instead, Regulus' eyes had been fixed firmly on the beautiful girl circling the Gryffindor end of the pitch. Now and again, he'd keep an eye on Sirius, when his brother went to make a particularly impressive shot, but most of the time he was trying to suppress the urge to scream for Ellie Gryffin to fly just a little closer. That way he would've been able to see her smiling face as the game went on.

He'd watched the Marauders celebrating on the field at the end of the game from the Slytherin stands, all of the cheering with glee. It had set those pesky butterflies swarming in his stomach again to see the beautiful girl leaping around in such happiness and now he was trying to get the picture of her perfect smile out of his head as he walked.

"Who's the greatest Chaser Gryffindor has ever seen?!" His ears pricked up when an all too familiar voice shouted out near-by, "James Fleamont Potter, of course!"

The melodic symphony of Ellie Gryffin's laughter filled him up so much, he already felt his cheeks flushing pink. As if his wishes had come true, the five troublemakers went racing passed him in a flurry of scarlet and gold.

"Ellie!" Before his brain even processed what his mouth was doing, he'd called out to the beautiful girl, making the whole group stop. It made him feel instantly foolish, all their eyes falling on the youngest Black, who looked so uncomfortable now.

Ellie however, beamed even brighter, hopping off of James Potter's back and rushing over. Regulus' heart thumped at an alarming rate once she got near, for that smile of hers never faltered. She looked even more gorgeous with her cheeks red from adrenaline and usually flowing hair, braided back out of her face. Once she was right in front of him, she grabbed both of his hands, giving him an affectionate squeeze. Regulus' legs went weak and he prayed he wouldn't collapse and make an idiot of himself.

"Did you see the game?! Wasn't it great?!" Ellie's smile was contagious the way those big sea green eyes bored into his soul and all Regulus could do was nod. He was vaguely conscious of the fact there were still the odd Slytherin about, but he held comfort in the fact most of the students were nearly back up to the castle by now.

"You played wonderfully." He complimented, ever the gentleman and Ellie giggled.

What Regulus would give to have her grinning at him like she was now, every minute of the rest of his life.

"I bet you're pissed the snakes didn't win though?" The boys watched the pair's exchange from a little distance away and Sirius spoke up when they got a little too cosy for his liking. There was some jest in his tone, but he was also trying to burst the bubble his brother had quickly trapped Ellie in.

"It would be wrong of me not to be slightly disappointed." Regulus' eyes were dragged away from the beautiful girl before him to address his brother instead, "But, you did well today. A fair outcome."

Ellie snorted at how quickly the youngest Black turned so formal and it made Regulus bring his gaze back to her.

"We're secretly your favourites though." She teased, that playful tone in her voice that always made Regulus so weak.

He was sure his legs would give out on him soon if she didn't let go of his hands. Her touch sent shooting sparks up his arms, a sensation that was distracting and making it difficult for him to think. Sirius spotted the falter in his brother's facade, the small crack that screamed loud and clear Regulus were struggling to come up with a reply.

"I don't pick favourites." The youngest Black eventually said, keeping his voice as steady as possible, but letting a small smile grace his features.

"That's a lie!" Ellie didn't miss a beat and Regulus was begging for her to stop or he might end up doing something he would regret.

"Leave him, Cubs. Reg will always be a snake at heart." Once again, Sirius was still teasing, but his definite tone made it seem as if he were truly asking for Ellie to let go of Regulus.

The beautiful girl was as oblivious as ever though, letting go of one of Regulus' hands, to make him spin her once with his other. The youngest Black couldn't help but chuckle at her, heat rising up the back of his neck as she giggled once more. Sirius took a step towards the pair, but Remus grabbed his arm subtly, telling him to not interfere. That would only cause problems.

"Meet me tomorrow? We've not spoke in ages." Ellie finally let go of Regulus altogether, retreating back to the boys watching on. Her words weren't as much of a question as they seemed and the youngest Black nodded, again before thinking properly. Sirius was there to receive the beautiful girl, reaching out to her as she got near, "Goodbye, Reggie!"

Taking Sirius' hand without a thought, she leaned around to wave enthusiastically at her favourite Slytherin with a grin as wide as ever.

Regulus was left flustered with his heart beating wildly in his chest, as overwhelmed by her presence as always. But he also couldn't deny having Ellie Gryffin want to spend time with him so desperately, made him feel like he'd been given a thousand galleons. It perhaps would cause tensions with the other Slytherins, but he'd rather that, than miss out on seeing her.

It seemed it was getting harder and harder for the youngest Black to keep his feelings to himself.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

183K 4.1K 21
"Bloody hell," whispers James. "I don't think I've ever seen that before." All I can do is stare blankly at him. "she was just so nice about it..." ...
864K 20.6K 87
Y/n L/n is starting her first year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. She meets many new friends, but there are 4 people she would call h...
443K 10.8K 53
(Re-editing) It's clear that Severus Snape has never been great friends with the chaotic group known as the marauders but when his twin sister must b...
16.3K 552 34
BOOK ONE OF THE MARAUDERS ERA SERIES Cazhvyre Ravens, also known as Rogue Ravens is feared in all of Hogwarts with her bad reputation along with her...